• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
SalsaShark said:
cod blops free weekend

that's a new one for activision

nah. There was a free weekend for MW2. It was fun to play on my crappy old computer and have it look like a PS2 game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Where be the Pre-load button. I click it and it takes me to store page with no button in sight.

I checked my list of games too but see nothing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Time for everyone to find out how terrible the port of Blops is. They made the right move going back to dedicated servers (even if they slightly gimped it by forcing GameServers), but man did they ever muck up the engine. MW2 ran at around 150fps on my old rig, and Blops ran at around 40fps (Q8300 @ 3.0GHz, GTX 275).

I'm up for trying pc codblops, the mw2 free weekend last year was entertaining and felt good compared to the 360 version, A better resolution really helps.

Jomjom

Banned
Just wondering does anyone know why System Shock 1 & 2 aren't available on Steam yet? Bioshock is available and EA often publishes Valve games, so what is the holdup?

Volcynika

jling84 said:
Just wondering does anyone know why System Shock 1 & 2 aren't available on Steam yet? Bioshock is available and EA often publishes Valve games, so what is the holdup?

System Shock 1 & 2 are not available on ANY digital services (Steam/D2D/Impulse/GOG/etc). Some are hoping GOG gets it soon. And just because BioShock is available (different publisher) and EA distributes Valve's games to retail doesn't mean it should pop up there. :p

Nabs

Diablohead said:
I'm up for trying pc codblops, the mw2 free weekend last year was entertaining and felt good compared to the 360 version, A better resolution really helps.
Blops is an even bigger jump w/ dedicated servers and basic fov settings.

mrgone

OmegaDragon said:
MW2 had a free weekend in 2010

Steam downloads the RUSE demo when I try to preload Blops >_>
Oh yeah! Big download, zero discount?
time_tunnel_big.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheExodu5 said:
Not if you don't have the hardware to maintain 60fps. :|

The game is about as demanding as Bad Company 2.
Blops does run well for some people. In fact I believe the group of 5 or so people I play with a couple nights a week all get well over 60 fps at max in-game settings.

TheExodu5

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Blops does run well for some people. In fact I believe the group of 5 or so people I play with a couple nights a week all get well over 60 fps at max in-game settings.

It runs fine for me too, but I have pretty ridiculous hardware. Performance is still terrible when compared to MW/MW2, which ran incredibly well. You could max those games out and get 60fps on a cheap Core 2 Duo and 8800GT.

Salsa

OmegaDragon said:
MW2 had a free weekend in 2010

Steam downloads the RUSE demo when I try to preload Blops >_>

Archie said:
nah. There was a free weekend for MW2. It was fun to play on my crappy old computer and have it look like a PS2 game.

huh, so i guess this doesnt mean Activision coming to terms with Steam, and learning somewhat how to use it.

This plus the Singularity sale being reasonably priced made me think they were gettin on track.

How foolish of me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheExodu5 said:
It runs fine for me too, but I have pretty ridiculous hardware. Performance is still terrible when compared to MW/MW2, which ran incredibly well. You could max those games out and get 60fps on a cheap Core 2 Duo and 8800GT.
We are all on mid-tier stuff, 460s, 5850s, etc. The drivers and patches have fixed pretty much all our issues.

TheExodu5

Banned
Stallion Free said:
We are all on mid-tier stuff, 460s, 5850s, etc. The drivers and patches have fixed pretty much all our issues.

I'll get my friend with E8400 @ 3.4GHz and GTX 460 1GB to try it again. He said he was still getting 45-50fps around a month ago (at 1680*1050).

SalsaShark said:
huh, so i guess this doesnt mean Activision coming to terms with Steam, and learning somewhat how to use it.

This plus the Singularity sale being reasonably priced made me think they were gettin on track.

How foolish of me.

Activision knows how to use Steam. They just don't like to reduce the price of their games at all. Call of Duty sells...it doesn't really need a price drop to do so.

Zimbardo

i think Black Ops likes a quad core more than GPU.

from what i've seen, dual core (at least in the past) had trouble running the game smooth. introduce a quad core, and things ran alright (much the same as Bad Company 2).

Salsa

TheExodu5 said:
Activision knows how to use Steam. They just don't like to reduce the price of their games at all. Call of Duty sells...it doesn't really need a price drop to do so.

Activision knows how to use Steam the same way Capcom does.

Wich is offering a game like Resident Evil 5 and DMC4, during the biggest sales of the year, for 10-15 bucks

wich by now, and given steam standards we've come to expect, is too much.

Im not saying its much to ask for those kind of games (they deserve that money and more), but its not the best way to boost sales of old games.

Agreed on COD though, of course

Still waiting on War for Cybertron and 007: Blood Stone sales for example..

My personal experience with BLOPS performance has been.... well shit.

From an 8800GT, to GTX 260, to GTX 460, to an ATI 6970, the game just has this horrible frame rate (compared to other COD's at least), which i could "adjust" to i guess if it wasn't for the stuttering i get during.... i dunno, shooting, grenades going off, etc (shader warming helps a bit, but doesnt fix it). The MP main menu taking about a minute to become responsive is also another thing that grates me. This happens on mine and my 2 brothers machines too.

We've given up on the game now, it just runs like poop for us and we just end up angry playing it. Going back to MW2 and the silky buttery smoothness of it really makes the problem that more obvious.

TheExodu5

Banned
Heh yeah it still needs a decent amount of CPU power. Stresses my cores to about 30-40% (i5 2500k @ 4.8GHz). Can't say I have any stuttering issues though.

The game seems to look worse than I remember...

darthbob

Ogs said:
My personal experience with BLOPS performance has been.... well shit.

From an 8800GT, to GTX 260, to GTX 460, to an ATI 6970, the game just has this horrible frame rate (compared to other COD's at least), which i could "adjust" to i guess if it wasn't for the stuttering i get during.... i dunno, shooting, grenades going off, etc (shader warming helps a bit, but doesnt fix it). The MP main menu taking about a minute to become responsive is also another thing that grates me. This happens on mine and my 2 brothers machines too.

If you have similar performance all across the board with those video cards, it could be an issue with some other component bottlenecking your system, like others have mentioned, a weak CPU could definitely impact performance for a game like Black Ops.

Oreoleo

zombieshavebrains said:
Man i got Fallout 3 from gamestop over the weekend but it crashes all the damn time. Anyone have a fix?

Yeah, don't play Fallout 3 on PC.

Seriously though, you better get used to saving all the damn time because it's a buggy god damned mess. I put about 50 hours into it in spite of the constant crashing/blue screens/freezes. The best was when it crashed and locked my mouse and keyboard (on 2 separate occasions) until I unplugged them and plugged them back in again. You'll either like the game enough to put up with it or you'll tear your hair out in frustration. Good luck, you have my sympathy.

cicero

Orellio said:

Seriously though, you better get used to saving all the damn time because it's a buggy god damned mess. I put about 50 hours into it in spite of the constant crashing/blue screens/freezes. The best was when it crashed and locked my mouse and keyboard (on 2 separate occasions) until I unplugged them and plugged them back in again. You'll either like the game enough to put up with it or you'll tear your hair out in frustration. Good luck, you have my sympathy.
I might have had 4 or 5 crashes/freezes total over 150+ hours of gameplay. I started playing at least a couple of months after the initial release though, so that might have been the difference between the two differing experiences.

jling84 said:
I think GoG would be the better place to release these, not Steam.

Sutton Dagger said:
Everyone keeps mentioning d3doverrider, can someone explain in layman's terms what it does? Is it easy to use, I'm new to PC gaming?
It's a driver-level graphics settings tool. It lets you control triple buffering and vsync independently of the in-game settings. So for games that have really bad graphics tearing or control updates that are inexplicably pegged to the framerate, you can use it to help fix that.

Read this for an explanation why that's good.

D3Doverrider is just one way of doing that. Frequently, that functionality is built into your graphics card control panel these days, as well.

Makoto

Maintenance.

There is no need to contact Support regarding this matter.

We are performing some maintenance on accounts. Only games purchased around the release of The Orange Box and before will be affected.

The maintenance will complete in roughly 20 hours. However, your game may become playable much sooner than that.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22706189#post22706189

Cheers guys, I've been reading those posts for the last 20min, but I'm still kind of lost. I have been enabling V-sync in-game to stop tearing. Is there any reason why I need to do it through d3doverrider instead?

Sutton Dagger said:
Cheers guys, I've been reading those posts for the last 20min, but I'm still kind of lost. I have been enabling V-sync in-game to stop tearing. Is there any reason why I need to do it through d3doverrider instead?
Primarily so you can enable triple buffering as well. They're like a tag team towards optimal graphics smoothness.

But if your game has internal settings for v-sync and triple buffering, there's no real reason to force it from the outside.

Narag

Sutton Dagger said:

Some games have a poor implementation of vsync iirc and this is a workaround. I think Dead Space is the poster child for this but I might not be remembering right!

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Orellio said:

Ha thanks! I'm guessing Bethesda knows its a buggy mess and doesn't do anything to fix it. I might just keep playing Witcher 2 even though i was really liking Fallout 3. Is New Vegas any better?

MacGurcules said:
Primarily so you can enable triple buffering as well. They're like a tag team towards optimal graphics smoothness.

But if your game has internal settings for v-sync and triple buffering, there's no real reason to force it from the outside.

Ahh ok, thanks for the info.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sutton Dagger said:

V-Sync on it's own locks the framerate to prevent tearing and locks it to a multiple of your refresh rate. So for example if you monitor is 60 hz like most, then with V-Sync enabled your games will run at 60, 30, 20, 15, 10, or 5 FPS. With triple buffering enabled you get the tearing removal but a full range of framerates from 0 to 60. This just means a steadier experience, if you're playing something and your framrate dips to say 55, with just V-Sync on it's going to drop all the way to 30, whereas with Triple Buffering you get the 55.

D3DOverrider is just a tool that does the triple buffering for you and works with like 98% of the games you'll run with no tweaking necessary.

jling84 said:
Why is that? Is it because it's an older game?
Yeah, and because GoG actually does some work to make sure the games they sell run on modern equipment. Steam does not.

Have you tried running System Shock 2, lately? It's pretty much broken these days. No way Steam could sell it as is.

Jomjom

Banned
MacGurcules said:
Yeah, and because GoG actually does some work to make sure the games they sell run on modern equipment. Steam does not.

Have you tried running System Shock 2, lately? It's pretty much broken these days. No way Steam could sell it as is.

Ah I see, thanks for the info. Just got into all this digital PC gaming stuff recently, so I'm completely in the dark about these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom