• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Joe Molotov said:
*in before LovingOriginSteam comes in to brag about EA's Customer Service*

He was totally trying to convert me today on chat, you should have seen him, dirty little traitor.

and thanks plc268, nice to know that its something id hardly commit by mistake. No interest in that.

Narag said:
Consensus seems to be Blood Stone is fun to be had while QoS not so much.

Thank you.

faceless007 said:
QOS is a fun enough shooter. I only played $5 for it and felt it was worth it. Nothing special, very linear and full of COD-like set pieces, but a fun diversion for a few hours.

Differing opinion! Doesn't sound too bad. I'll sit on it for a little while.

SalsaShark said:
He was totally trying to convert me today on chat, you should have seen him, dirty little traitor.

and thanks plc268, nice to know that its something id hardly commit by mistake. No interest in that.
Salsa, I thought our private time was special!!

Joe Molotov

SalsaShark said:

Shameless. :(

What sometimes screws people over is that Paypal will sometimes do a chargeback without asking you because of "suspicious activity" or some bullshit like that, and then Valve will lock your account, leaving you up shit creek. Just don't ever use PayPal if you don't have to, they're a terrible company anyway.

plc268

Joe Molotov said:
What sometimes screws people over is that Paypal will sometimes do a chargeback without asking you because of "suspicious activity" or some bullshit like that, and then Valve will lock your account, leaving you up shit creek. Just don't ever use PayPal if you don't have to, they're a terrible company anyway.

Oh... I hadn't heard about that, but it somehow doesn't surprise me. It's amazing how much control Paypal can have over your money.

Salsa

LovingSteam said:
Salsa, I thought our private time was special!!

it was, until you started working for the man

Joe Molotov said:

I hardly ever do, still will be more careful from now on.

Prophetic GAF, anyone willing to estimate the % Off or US price (can hopefully get some nice USGAFfers to help me) of the following games on my wishlist for the Summer Sale.

Crysis Warhead
Civ V
Borderlands GOTY
Witcher 2

InertiaXr

Sutton Dagger said:
Prophetic GAF, anyone willing to estimate the % Off or US price (can hopefully get some nice USGAFfers to help me) of the following games on my wishlist for the Summer Sale.

Crysis Warhead
Civ V
Borderlands GOTY
Witcher 2

Borderlands probably 5-7.50, I paid 7.50 April 13th of this year.

Civ 5 has been 33% off a few times, perhaps even 50% once IIRC? I think 50% off so it's $25 is the best you'll see, maybe $20 at an outside chance?

Does anyone in here know about the X Superbox space-sim games? I never played this genre and I think it would be right up my alley.

I know Freespace 2 is supposed to be like the most popular one or something.

I'm going to need one that caters to the graphic whore inside of me....

That Steam page for the superbox is in desperate need of updating, it doesn't even have all the games anymore..

X3:Terran Conflict is the current one and X:Rebirth is coming this year and looks really really nice.

Comments for a noob? Should I buy Terran Conflict for $19.99?

Narag

scorpscarx said:

I recall buying it for around $10 during a big Steam sale. Worth waiting a few days, I'd think, unless you're eager to delve right in.

Fredescu

scorpscarx said:
I think it wen't on sale once about a year ago on Steam.

So I'm pretty skeptical about waiting for another sale.
I bought it for $10 about a year ago. I didn't realise it hadn't gone on sale since.

scorpscarx said:
Does anyone in here know about the X Superbox space-sim games? I never played this genre and I think it would be right up my alley.

I know Freespace 2 is supposed to be like the most popular one or something.

I'm going to need one that caters to the graphic whore inside of me....

That Steam page for the superbox is in desperate need of updating, it doesn't even have all the games anymore..

X3:Terran Conflict is the current one and X:Rebirth is coming this year and looks really really nice.

X3 is quite a complex game to get into for a space-sim newbie. I seriously suggest starting with Freespace 1+2. It'll guide you through the fundamentals of space-sim complex controls and gameplay.
Because the source code for the 10year old game was released years ago, modders have been able to do amazing work with it. Heres what your average Freespace 2 game looks like now.

You can pick up Freespace 2 from GoG for $2.99. Then follow this guide to download Freespace 1 campaign into FS2, various texture packs, and fan missions.

Sarcasm

viewtifulsub said:
X3 is quite a complex game to get into for a space-sim newbie. I seriously suggest starting with Freespace 1+2. It'll guide you through the fundamentals of space-sim complex controls and gameplay.
Because the source code for the 10year old game was released years ago, modders have been able to do amazing work with it. Heres what your average Freespace 2 game looks like now.

You can pick up Freespace 2 from GoG for $2.99. Then follow this guide to download Freespace 1 campaign into FS2, various texture packs, and fan missions.

Whats your opinion for the open source code one? Or do you need FS2 to use it?

Sober

Sarcasm said:
Whats your opinion for the open source code one? Or do you need FS2 to use it?
You need a retail copy to play the FS1 or 2 campaigns with the SCP, but the community made ones are free since the source code was given out by Volition.

Salsa

darkwing said:
the summer sale is not coming isn't it?

the moment we all start saying this, it'll come.

In all seriousness, last year it started on Thursday 24. Tomorrow's Thursday, and Friday is the 24. Im still looking at those dates, we'll see.

InertiaXr

SalsaShark said:
well that would be my last hope if its not tomorrow/the day after.

Tomorrow's still my strongest bet. Considering that's when the Midweek Madness ends.

If it started tomorrow then it could end on July 4th which would make it 10 days long. Seems pretty reasonable to me, starting Monday would make it only a week long which seems too short, compared to all of the recent big Steam sales.

InertiaXr

Nabs said:
No one says it has to end on the 4th.

Well it ended on the 4th last year and Valve is primarily a United States company and so the 4th coincides with a major holiday and this is all speculation based on past sales anyways. If the sale is within the next couple of weeks, it seems foolish for them to not start or end it on July 4th.

Edit: Also, didn't they have a Thanksgiving last year and Easter either this year or last sales? Called 'Thanksgiving' and 'Easter' by name? Valve seems well versed enough in both United States and worldwide holidays that they would use July 4th as either the start or the end of a sale.

herod

Nabs

InertiaXr said:
Well it ended on the 4th last year and Valve is primarily a United States company and so the 4th coincides with a major holiday and this is all speculation based on past sales anyways. If the sale is within the next couple of weeks, it seems foolish for them to not start or end it on July 4th.

Edit: Also, didn't they have a Thanksgiving last year and Easter either this year or last sales? Called 'Thanksgiving' and 'Easter' by name? Valve seems well versed enough in both United States and worldwide holidays that they would use July 4th as either the start or the end of a sale.

Thanksgiving, not Easter. I'm not arguing against the sale starting tomorrow, I just don't think they'd cut a sale short by ending it on the 4th (assuming it starts on Monday or another day).

I still think it's starting tomorrow, and have been banking on it ever since Tripwire started pushing the "Event of the Summer".

The recent sale got me to install the copy of Overlord I bought back in October in the Overlord complete pack, it's such a brilliant game. It's a humorous, dark fantasy game that references and often outright takes the piss out of a lot of western fantasy archetypes, from Lord of the Rings to Dungeons & Dragons and it plays kind of like Pikmin. You'll use your minions to complete puzzles, fight your battles for you and help you gather artifacts to improve your dread fortress. As the Overlord you can wade into the thick of things, you have basic melee and magic attacks, but you're better off in the supervisor role. Plus it's kind of bad ass to just point and unleash mayhem. There aren't any crazy huge bosses but in general there's a fair bit of combat, moreso than there are puzzles four hours in. There is a bit of strategy with how you manage, position and use your minion types in combat.

Even though your minions are generic, you kind of get attached to the lot you're rolling with. Your minions will gather loot and gear from fallen enemies or anything and everything they destroy in the environment. Some of the loot is yours, the rest they equip. They can double their attack and defence if given enough time and loot. It's annoying when you fuck up and lose those minions because you've got to start from scratch with the next batch you summon.

Brown minions are your shock troops, they're the best for melee combat. Red minions can deal with fire hazards in the environment and are your ranged fighters. Green minions can deal with poison hazards and are awesome stealth units. They're horrible melee fighters, but have epic backstab attacks. If you station them in a specific location, they'll cloak and spring out on any enemy that passes by them. I don't remember what the blues do, aside from being able to swim, but I'm at the point where I'm going to unlock the last minion type.

As you progress through the game you unlock the ability to have a greater number of minions with you in the field. You can start to set up basic traps and choke points where enemies have to run a gauntlet of ranged attacks, trigger the backstabs and then get bum rushed by your melee fighters. As the overlord you gain access to a few basic spells, the best of which (so far) uses your mana bar to buff your minions health and armor for as long as you have mana. The combat is kind of simple but it's fun.

camerooni

Neo Member
jaundicejuice said:
The recent sale got me to install the copy of Overlord I bought back in October in the Overlord complete pack, it's such a brilliant game.

Stop there and don't move onto the sequel - most disappointing opening levels I think I've ever played in a game...

Thoughts? Compare/Contrast!

Sober

Overlord has been pretty fun 2 or 3 hours in. I think using the 360 controller is way better for commanding minions (since there isn't a cursor anyway). Camera controls are a bit funny in that I need to hold down LB to switch RS from sweep controls to camera controls. Gonna play around with changing gamepad keybinds maybe to change it around.

camerooni

Neo Member
Sober said:
Overlord has been pretty fun 2 or 3 hours in. I think using the 360 controller is way better for commanding minions (since there isn't a cursor anyway). Camera controls are a bit funny in that I need to hold down LB to switch RS from sweep controls to camera controls. Gonna play around with changing gamepad keybinds maybe to change it around.

I still love the first game. Though it's one of the games that when you first start playing you randomly mash buttons looking for the one that jumps :p

Any other fantasy/platform/adventure type games floating around on steam - Alice is a bit rich at its current price but is there any obscure Eastern-European stuff that's fantasy, and NOT a rts or rpg proper?

There was a game where you played a female warrior/stealth type (rpg-lite?) - for some reason vindictus is in my mind but I don't think that's the name of it.. is it on steam?

InfectedZero said:
come at me bro!
5667597791_ccc33825d6.jpg

my wallet is ready!
tumblr_liaf3scJjA1qb8z52o1_250.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yeah I saw a copy in a store recently.

Also, summersale fuck yeah. Bring it.

I wasn't expecting to buy all that much before this speculation started but now my wishlist has ballooned to almost 20 games.

I'm getting hype.

Yaska

Worst case would be if we would get another Indie ARG where we have to get potatoes or something else (summer suns perhaps?) to get the sale started 40 mins earlier or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom