• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

Still nothing new in the registry today, but it was last updated yesterday night, about 15 hours ago. So that either means:

- They're having a sale on what's already on the store and aren't adding any packs/bundles specifically for the sale (unlikely)
- We aren't getting a sale today (possible)
- They just haven't updated with the sale bundles yet (am I right in thinking it's only about 6am where Valve is located?)

MRORANGE

Corky said:
My new steam account has a measly...15 games? DON'T LOOK AT ME * curls into a shameball*

we should have quota's on this thread, if you don't own more than 50 games on steam your not welcome here.

epmode

gdt5016 said:
Hmm. I was gonna preorder The Dues Ex: Augmented edition to also recieve the DE: GOTY edition (the original), but I see GamersGate has it for 2.50. I guess I'll pick it up there.

Any mods and stuff to make it work...better on W7? Basically a mods guide, like other older games.
The DX 10 renderer is all you really need: http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

I recommend installing it and using the in-game console menu thing to go back to classic lighting (if it's not already enabled). Maybe it's buggy on my machine but the new lighting engine is an ugly mess. Classic looks fine and since you're using the mod, you won't run into all of those crappy compatibility issues.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wonder if Saxton Hale is going to show up in the TF2 UberUpdate.

And it's been a while since we saw the Steam Creatures, I think. What are the perils of this summer? Still sharks?

1-D_FTW

darkwing said:
eh looks like no sale today

It really doesn't make sense having it conflict with the massive TF2 update today.

The other side of the coin is: Leverage that TF2 activity to kick off the sales, but it just seems like overkill. Holiday sales don't need gimmicks to drive traffic. I would think Valve wants Thursday to be all about TF2.

TheFightingFish said:
I'm with ya on just about every point. I do applaud the world that they built and the backstory for Half-Life 2, but the actual execution is far from my favorite. I'd easily put Half-Life well behind Team Fortress, Portal and Left 4 Dead.
I'm not that drastic, but my poor debated self just can't like some parts of hl2 ...
the boat part for example, it was fucking terribad.. entertaining for like 2 mins, than just... no...

1-D_FTW

I think most people are just ignoring the criticism because they don't want to go down that route, but I'll let it be said I love the boat sections.

I've probably completed the game at least 10 times, and the boat sections are always amongst my favorite areas. The atmosphere was amazing. Just a great sense of isolation and wonderment.

I guess I can understand the CoD crowd not appreciating down moments in a game, but this is part of the reason I love Half Life so much. It's its own style.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
derFeef said:
Not this again, Valve, please.

This stuff is awesome, because it actually leads to playing all the games that we own instead of having them just sitting there in our library. There were a lot of games during the christmas sales which only got attention due to these "tasks".

You don't need to participate, and you still get your normal sales, so please stop complaining about stuff that obviously isn't for you and doesn't detract from your own enjoyment.

epmode

StuBurns said:
I don't like the boat sections, it's not that they're boring, they're fairly short, it's that the boat controls like shit.
100% serious, I don't see it. I can understand the complaints about the section being too long (even though I don't agree) but I have never had a problem with the controls. Feels like something gliding on water!

StuBurns

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
A boat floating on water shouldn't be considered to have much control, unlike a dune buggy with huge grip-educing tires.
That's a terrible defense. I don't think it's fun, I don't care if it's realistic, I don't play games to have a realistically shit gaming experience.

1-D_FTW

StuBurns said:
I don't like the boat sections, it's not that they're boring, they're fairly short, it's that the boat controls like shit.

I guess it depends on what you're used to. First person shooters tend to vary wildly on how they control vehicles. People get attached to one method over another.

There's one section where I always power slide (and crush) three repelling soldiers against a retaining wall. If the controls sucked, I wouldn't be able to execute the move every time I replay the game. The control is absolutely precise.

derFeef

Toma said:
This stuff is awesome, because it actually leads to playing all the games that we own instead of having them just sitting there in our library. There were a lot of games during the christmas sales which only got attention due to these "tasks".

You don't need to participate, and you still get your normal sales, so please stop complaining about stuff that obviously isnt for you and doesnt detract from your own enjoyment.
Sure, fair enough, I just have the feeling that it will take a bit longer until the sale now.

iSimon

Sumer sale confirmed! If it doesn't start today, my guess is Monday.
Keen eyes may have seen it.. for the steam summer sale we added 5 new achievements.. and fixeed some minor bugs.. we have to upgrade the project to the latest version of unity to take on the rest off the bugs.. thanks again for your ongoing support and enthusiasm. And thanks Pieter for sticking in the Achievements!

http://sakari-indie.com/news/5_new_achievements_comming/

plc268

StuBurns said:

Boat controlled fine for me. I've heard that console players had more difficult controls for vehicle sections, but it was pretty simple with PC controls.

eznark

Banned
plc268 said:
Boat controlled fine for me. I've heard that console players had more difficult controls for vehicle sections, but it was pretty simple with PC controls.

sick burn.

The boat controlled like ass on PC.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I wonder if they'll have a TF2 hat tied to these achievements like they did during Thanksgiving (or did that go on during the Christmas sale?).

I'm not sure how much I even really want out of this sale. New Vegas DLC on the cheap would be nice at least.

iNvid02

the boat controlled horribly, period. sure some people might have been able to manage it better but it sucked nonetheless.

plc268

Whatever... you guys are crazy.

I have a lot of complaints about HL2 myself, but the controls of the vehicles aren't one of them.

ElyrionX

Ummm, I've been holding out on Civ 5, Shogun 2 and The Witcher 2 since building my new PC two weeks ago. How likely is it that games as new as these would see substantial discounts?

InertiaXr

ElyrionX said:
Ummm, I've been holding out on Civ 5, Shogun 2 and The Witcher 2 since building my new PC two weeks ago. How likely is it that games as new as these would see substantial discounts?

Civ 5 is about 3/4 of a year old and has been on sale for $30 multiple times already.

gdt

epmode said:
The DX 10 renderer is all you really need: http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

I recommend installing it and using the in-game console menu thing to go back to classic lighting (if it's not already enabled). Maybe it's buggy on my machine but the new lighting engine is an ugly mess. Classic looks fine and since you're using the mod, you won't run into all of those crappy compatibility issues.

How do I install this mod?

Also, is the game up to date coming for Gamer's Gate? Or do I have to look for some patches/bug fixes?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Conversely, I will be surprised if I spend more than $30.. maybe $50 for the summer sale.

But I will be honest and update here if I do, since everybody think we all will spend willy nilly.

Most of the games I'd buy on Steam are already $10 and $5. I think the only game on my wishlist above that is, er, Red Alert 3 and its expansion ($20 each).. and even then I don't know if I'd grab it since I think my love for that genre of game has long sailed.

Okay, I have The Last Remnant (which is $40 normally), but, even with all the improvements to the PC version, I think I will be lame and go for the Xbox 360 version for comfy couch and achievements.

Mostly achievements. [/shame]

Derrick01

Banned
Hoping for today but I predicted a month ago it would be this Monday. I'd love to be wrong though, I'm tired of waiting. I want to spend money!

Yaska

I hope for AC: Brotherhood mainly. I already own all the "must-haves" on my own list, but the sales always have some hidden gems for me to pick.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I expect to do my typical load, which is:

- 2-3 games that I own on console and am re-buying for technically superior future replays / for archival sake
- 5-10 indie or super-discount games, normally taken from the top of my wishlist sorted by price
- 1-2 of the best daily discounts.

InertiaXr

KrayzeeGloo said:
Well, the Dungeon Siege 3 and F.3.A.R. massive banners are gone. Could this mean that...that the preparation has begun?! :D

All the big game banners eventually go away, has about 0% to do with any potential sale.

Relax dudes, if sale comes it will come within the next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom