• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
The only reason i can think of is there might be 2 versions of DS3

A Dungeon Siege 3 (NA) version
and a Dungeon Siege 3 (ROV) version (rest of world)

Blizzard

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Now he has to go back and forth with support until they decide to reverse the transaction. They're not being very helpful.
If there were only one single area I were allowed to wish for Valve to improve, I think it would be communication/customer support.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stumpokapow said:
Anyone know when/why Max and the Magic Marker got pulled from Steam?
Its been gone since at least the 18th, no clue why though. Nothing on Twitter, nothing on Facebook, nothing on the steam boards, nothing on their site, nothing. Of some note, the game went up 13 months ago, maybe some sort of hypothetical contract negotiation problem? But I have no clue.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:
So a friend bought me Dungeon Siege 3 (bought a hard copy). He thought he could just enter the key in Steam and then gift it to me after, since he already had DS3 in his account. Steam just ate the key and now he's basically out $50. He contacted Steam support and they just forwarded him to this page:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656&l=english

Not impressed with Valve at all.

Steam support is horrible man. They screwed me out of money from a special deal, and they pretty much told me to fuck off when I entered a HL cd key on another account, and wanted it back. The page, at the time clearly said they could revoke the cd key if I showed them a CD key on the case. I did, and they said that the can't. smh.

Yeah, kind of a douche move on Steam's part, but have your friend keep at it, it was an honest if stupid mistake, and maybe he didn't explain himself very well. Maybe help him out with his responses.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheExodu5 said:
So a friend bought me Dungeon Siege 3 (bought a hard copy). He thought he could just enter the key in Steam and then gift it to me after, since he already had DS3 in his account. Steam just ate the key and now he's basically out $50. He contacted Steam support and they just forwarded him to this page:

Don't mean to be too rude, but that was dumb from the very start. You can't gift retail game that way, you will just get an error saying you already own the game. Its how I have checked in the past if some keys are still valid (Since it gives a different error if they key has been used)

Are you sure it actually ate the key and didn't just give an error? Have him just email you the key.

I have done the same thing with Battle Net, trying to see if a copy of Diablo 2 was still valid. Now my account has 2 copies of Diablo 2

Weenerz

Banned
Your friend isn't very bright tbh, why would he want to register the key just to gift it to you? Couldn't he just send you the key via private message?

Salsa

Weenerz said:
Your friend isn't very bright tbh, why would he want to register the key just to gift it to you? Couldn't he just send you the key via private message?

Yeah, im gonna stick with this.

Its bad support from Valve, sure, but it was pretty common knowledge. When you're gonna invest this kind of money into these services you gotta read your FAQ's, man. First thing i did when i started using Steam.

coopolon

TheExodu5 said:

That sucks. I wonder if he cracked it if you guys could play multiplayer together still. Probably not though but not sure how it works.

SalsaShark said:
Yeah, im gonna stick with this.

Its bad support from Valve, sure, but it was pretty common knowledge. When you're gonna invest this kind of money into these services you gotta read your FAQ's, man. First thing i did when i started using Steam.

What possible purpose could it serve to allow people to enter keys for games they already own? They've already made it so you can't buy games redundantly on the store haven't they? (except for when buying packages of course.)

Fredescu

SalsaShark said:
Valve has a system that eats $50 CD keys and customer service that refuses to do anything about it. It might have been a silly thing to do, but it's 100% Valve's fault that he's out $50.

Card Boy

Banned
Blizzard said:
If there were only one single area I were allowed to wish for Valve to improve, I think it would be communication/customer support.

Pretty much.

On a semi-related note, i keep hearing horror stories in regards to Paypal and expired Credit Cards.

From a forum i visit. Someone got his account permanently locked, and still is locked.

"The same happened to my steam account because of a negative balance automatic charge back a few months ago, there was no way to reverse that charge back because it was a prepaid visa giftcard so no more funds could be loaded, i never got the account back and i lost all the games. Steam has an account banning 0 tolerance policy towards even a single charge back. Bad luck there. I deemed never to touch Steam again."

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1402102&p=2

Stories like that make me lose respect for Valve.

Blizzard

Banned
Gez said:
Pretty much.

On a semi-related note, i keep hearing horror stories in regards to Paypal and expired Credit Cards.

From a forum i visit. Someone got his account permanently locked, and still is locked.

"The same happened to my steam account because of a negative balance automatic charge back a few months ago, there was no way to reverse that charge back because it was a prepaid visa giftcard so no more funds could be loaded, i never got the account back and i lost all the games. Steam has an account banning 0 tolerance policy towards even a single charge back. Bad luck there. I deemed never to touch Steam again."

Any sort of chargeback locks your account, zero tolerance, and the only way to get your games back is to reverse the charge as far as I know. I think it's because otherwise it would make Valve look bad/cause them problems because of how chargebacks work, but I don't know all the details. In general, I -think- it's sort of normal for any chargeback potentially causing a retailer refusing to do business with you further.

The issue with Steam, however, is that some things (Paypay/bank stuff/prepaid cards?) can result in chargebacks happening when the end consumer may not realize they will happen, so it's buyer beware.

eemijun

Neo Member
Does anyone have any idea if Terraria would go on sale during the summer sale? (If and when it happens) I'm really wanting to get this game but if it might get a 50% discount during the sale then ill wait, or ill just buy it full price and support them.

The only way I buy anything gaming related anymore(after Microsoft screwjobs) is with Prepaid credit cards. I always make sure not to get too close to the limit of the card though. Never had a problem with any site.

eemijun said:
Does anyone have any idea if Terraria would go on sale during the summer sale? (If and when it happens) I'm really wanting to get this game but if it might get a 50% discount during the sale then ill wait, or ill just buy it full price and support them.

Terraria has been crazy successful so I would be shocked if it did not go on sale.

coopolon

QuantumBro said:
Terraria has been crazy successful so I would be shocked if it did not go on sale.

The Racettear devs actually said they regretted going on sale so early (although they also went on a crazy sale, to effectively $1.) Terraria just came out and it's only $10, it might be a little too early to start dropping the price.

Cipherr

Weenerz said:

Steam should still have something in place though in the case that mistake is made. Something other than "Click this link".

Fredescu said:
Valve has a system that eats $50 CD keys and customer service that refuses to do anything about it. It might have been a silly thing to do, but it's 100% Valve's fault that he's out $50.

Yup. Valve does not pay enough for customer service given the scope of their operation and it's reflected in these nightmare scenarios for a small subset of their population. There's really no excusing it.

coopolon said:
The Racettear devs actually said they regretted going on sale so early (although they also went on a crazy sale, to effectively $1.)

They said they regretted going on such deep discount. Big difference between selling a $20 game for $1 and selling a $10 game for, I dunno, $7.50.

Sanic

Gez said:
Pretty much.

This is one of my major concerns with Steam, and digital distribution in general. I'm extremely careful with my financials, but I understand that mistakes could happen, and I don't want to build up years of game purchases only to lose them because of some kind of accident.

Derrick01

Banned
QuantumBro said:

Yup this is what I'm banking on. If it doesn't then I'll just get it for the $10, but I have a feeling it will go on sale after it was announced it broke something like 400,000 copies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Weenerz said:

Because he thought it would be a nice surprise when I popped up Steam? It's not that crazy to assume it might give you a giftable copy. Not everyone knows how Steam works.

Anyways, it's basic software design. You need to account for user error.

plc268

coopolon said:
Open CCC.
My Digital Flat-Panels
Properties (Digital Flat-Panel)

Under Image Scaling, click "Enable GPU Scaling", choose "Maintain Aspect Ratio."

If the options are greyed out, change your desktop resolution to something non-native and not correct aspect ratio (not sure if that last quality is necessary), then go back to this menu and all the options should be available.

Yea, the options are greyed out for me...I'm running 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor completely standard.

But yea, it looks a little different than before, and it's been years since I was able to get that option work right. It's not a big deal, I adjust to the stretching in those few games that don't support widescreen.

coopolon

plc268 said:
Yea, the options are greyed out for me...I'm running 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor completely standard.

To get them un-greyed out, just change your resolution to something not right like 1920x1080 and then go back to that menu and everything should be ungreyed out. Select keep aspect ratio (and it should make it so you have black bars on top and bottom now to preserve the 16:9 ratio), then go back and change your resolution back to native (1920x1200.) From then on whenever you launch a game not 16:10 it will letterbox it.

Nekrono

TheExodu5 said:
Because he thought it would be a nice surprise when I popped up Steam? It's not that crazy to assume it might give you a giftable copy. Not everyone knows how Steam works.
That's the problem.

I see your point though, Valve should implement a better way of telling the user what he can and can not do, in this case your friend assumed and that was the mistake, he should've just given you the key or done some research to see if was he had in mind was actually possible.

I hope it get's sorted out someway and either of you receive some compensation at least.

Card Boy

Banned
plc268 said:

I have the same problem, my CCC options where greyed out, the good thing is on my monitor it has an option for Wide Mode: "Aspect" or "Wide"

Choose Aspect, it will make older games that don't support Widescreen play in proper 4:3 with black bars on the side.

All new monitors should have them.

plc268

coopolon said:
To get them un-greyed out, just change your resolution to something not right like 1920x1080 and then go back to that menu and everything should be ungreyed out. Select keep aspect ratio (and it should make it so you have black bars on top and bottom now to preserve the 16:9 ratio), then go back and change your resolution back to native (1920x1200.) From then on whenever you launch a game not 16:10 it will letterbox it.

Aha! That makes sense now. It works. Yea, I think you mentioned that earlier, but I wasn't catching on.

What a weird way to set that. In a way, I understand it, but still weird. But cool, thanks, I appreciate the help.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheExodu5 said:

Anyways, it's basic software design. You need to account for user error.
Does it show him as owing two copies of the game? You have tried entering the key again and got an error saying so?

I would also have him send ANTHER support ticket in.

TheExodu5

Banned
Drkirby said:
Does it show him as owing two copies of the game? You have tried entering the key again and got an error saying so?

I would also have him send ANTHER support ticket in.

He did send another ticket in. Steam is slow.

And yeah, it says the key is a duplicate key and has already been used.

~Kinggi~

Banned
When installing retail products for steam you are installing for yourself. You want to gift that then you gift it as a retail product, which means shipping a physical copy, since it was a physical purchase.

~Kinggi~ said:
When installing retail products for steam you are installing for yourself. You want to gift that then you gift it as a retail product, which means shipping a physical copy, since it was a physical purchase.
Or simply giving the retail key to the person. That works too.

I've noticed that when I look at my transaction history, registering keys bought outside of Steam makes the game show up as a Retail version which is probably why it didn't trigger the warning.

In other news.....

Honestly he thought he could buy a retail copy and gift it digitally? Ummm

Yeah that isn't Steam's fault.

Have you tried just entering the key again on your account?

Kinda unique scenario give them time...

TheExodu5

Banned
scorpscarx said:
In other news.....

Honestly he thought he could buy a retail copy and gift it digitally? Ummm

Yeah that isn't Steam's fault.

Have you tried just entering the key again on your account?

Yes it is Steam's fault. You account for user errors, and you don't punish them by robbing them of $50, plain and simple.

And yes I have.

Him assuming that he'd have an extra giftable copy isn't that crazy either. If someone has just purchased HL2 and Orange Box, for example, they might assume any copy they get is a giftable copy. When you buy off the store, there's a message saying the extra copies aren't giftable. When you buy a retail copy, there's no warning, no error, nothing. It just eats the key and gives you nothing.

Unacceptable.

Salsa

anyone has any info on the chargeback thing? maybe its a language difference but im not even sure what it is.. i wanna be careful

eemijun said:

Nice avatar!

Staying on topic, anyone have opinions on whether either of the Bond games on sale are any good?

Joe Molotov

That's a crap deal, Exodu5. I hope you can get it sorted out. I hate hearing all the bad stories about Steam's Customer Service; it wouldn't kill them to improve a little bit more on that front.

*in before LovingOriginSteam comes in to brag about EA's Customer Service*

plc268

SalsaShark said:
anyone has any info on the chargeback thing? maybe its a language difference but im not even sure what it is.. i wanna be careful

A chargeback is process you initiate through the credit card company where they retrieve your money for something you've paid for. The thing is, it's something that should be done as a last resort (in case of a business receiving your money, but never ships you the item). Some people abuse the process, and get their account rightfully banned.

Now, there's instances where ignorance and stupidity get the better of people, and I honestly think Steam should give people a second chance if they get caught doing a chargeback, but whatever.

Narag

The Outsider said:
Nice avatar!

Staying on topic, anyone have opinions on whether either of the Bond games on sale are any good?

Consensus seems to be Blood Stone is fun to be had while QoS not so much.

QOS is a fun enough shooter. I only played $5 for it and felt it was worth it. Nothing special, very linear and full of COD-like set pieces, but a fun diversion for a few hours.

Joe Molotov said:
That's a crap deal, Exodu5. I hope you can get it sorted out. I hate hearing all the bad stories about Steam's Customer Service; it wouldn't kill them to improve a little bit more on that front.

*in before LovingOriginSteam comes in to brag about EA's Customer Service*
Lol :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom