• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsen

jaundicejuice said:
So what's the word on Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah. I was reading this rps article on Arx and it kind of piqued my interest. Downloading the demos for Arx and Dark Messiah (for the hell of it) right now.

They are both completely awesome. Buy without hesitation. Arkane <3

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Snuggler said:
looking for a good racing game on Steam, which leads me to this question:

Does Burnout: Paradise not have controller support? I don't see it listed on it's store page, and there's no way I'm playing that shit with WASD.
Burnout Paradise not only has perfect Xbox 360 controller support, but also has full mappings for the Driving Force GT wheel as well.

One thing you should do if you do buy it is set the deadzones to as near to zero as possible (0 is impossible because the 360 sticks never centre to dead centre). It transforms the game into a highly responsive uber arcade racer from great racer it already is.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Hanzou said:
Same thing happened to em when I started playing a few months ago. I ended up fixing it but cant exactly remember how. Try starting the game using the mouse and make it so it doesnt auto log in to live. close down the game and load it back up and use the controller.

I am not sure if this will work but I had the same problem with you and just fiddled around with the auto login setting and crap and then it fixed it self. Just turn off auto login to start.

I fixed this shit aaaaargh.

The problem was this

I have a SFIV stick that is usb and 2 xbox wireless controllers that I use to play games on the PC.

What happens in Batman (not in other game that support controllers) is that in combination with the SFIV stick being on position 1, when you start, it logs in your account on position 1 using the SFIV stick.

The then you start controlling it with the controller, this thing thinks you want to sign in with a profile, which it then lets you chose, but then it signs in the profile too controller 1. Then the game reports you didn't sign in with a profile cause you're using controller 2.

Retarded. Long story short, if you want to play this game with a wireless xbox controller, make sure the green light on your controller is top left, NOTHING ELSE WORKS.

Stupid, because this isn't a problem in any other steam games I've played. Dumbass GFWL at work I think.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Oh god dammit, Gothic 4 runs like shite on my laptop even on low settings.

I have to wait 2 weeks until i'm back at my house with my good PC :/

G-Fex

Man I gotta get those gothic patches to work right.

I bought Hitman Blood Money relating to another thread.

I kinda want Alpha Protocol..You guys think that'll go on sale sometime?

In spite of the Dark Messiah lovefest I will say that I had the game crash really hard a few times and was unable to proceed past a certain point because a scripted event wouldn't trigger. It was fun but IMO very janky and not nearly as interactive/open as I thought it would be.

vanty

Snuggler said:
looking for a good racing game on Steam, which leads me to this question:

Does Burnout: Paradise not have controller support? I don't see it listed on it's store page, and there's no way I'm playing that shit with WASD.
It has full 360 controller support, button prompts and everything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
G-Fex said:
I kinda want Alpha Protocol..You guys think that'll go on sale sometime?

It's been on sale many times in the past and I suspect it will be in the future.

Great game.

Here's what I said about it in my GOTY 2010 vote last year:
4. Alpha Protocol ; What a trainwreck! This is very obviously a game that was made by a number of very intelligent very bold core designers sitting down, pitching some great ideas, and then pretty much utterly failing to make that game. Whole chunks of the game were clearly unfinished or rewritten at the last minute, the development process was obviously a disaster, and it got delayed over and over again. Many things remain unrealized; character development is interesting but it's super easy to back yourself into a relative corner, and this stinks from untested or unfixed design issues. Some mechanics are poorly explained, the game doesn't perform particularly well, and it's clearly very rough around the edges. But boy golly is this game more brimming with potential than pretty much any I've ever played. Absolutely killer writing, awesome characterization, and a far gutsier main character than Badass/Saint Shepard, it is possible to make Thornton a genuinely insane schizophrenic or a nerd trying to act suave. Secondary characters are rich and allude to a world that could have been even better with more time, more money, and more people working on it. Some of the best political themes in gaming ever--there are some really rich allusions about media control, terror-through-fear, mass panic, the psychology of crowds, to say nothing of the central premise of a government agent operating as a sort of rogue spy. Mission design is great, with the tense ice cream scene in Rome or the ambiguous sniper mission in Rome where you can choose to take a confirmed shot at an unconfirmed baddie or let him live until further proof is found play with the player's mind, the embassy infiltration mission... just three of the many missions I really adored on a design level. I'd rather more companies go big and release this kind of title than retreat to safe press-A-to-win pap.

It's not for everyone, but for the people it's for, great game.

Feep

Banned
This is probably old news, but I logged onto Steam today and it was like, "Automatically detect, download, and install new versions of your graphics card's drivers!"

Steam. Making everything else look BAD.

poweld

mxgt said:
Hm, it's £3.75 here.

Is it any good? never played but I guess you can't really go wrong for that price.
Yeah, for a 5 spot I'd definitely consider this for some single player fun. Anybody want to chime in on this?

I rented AvP on the Xbox 360 around when it came out and played through most of the Marine's campaign and it was pretty enjoyable. I would have finished it, along with the other two campaign's, but I got sidetracked by another game.

Is the PC version GFWL?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
LastWindow said:
I rented AvP on the Xbox 360 around when it came out and played through most of the Marine's campaign and it was pretty enjoyable. I would have finished it, along with the other two campaign's, but I got sidetracked by another game.

Is the PC version GFWL?
No, it's steamworks.

Ledsen said:
They are both completely awesome. Buy without hesitation. Arkane <3

They're both on my list of games to buy, first I just want to play through Crysis 2. Morbid curiosity. Already had a good laugh at the shop when I saw the system requirements.

poweld said:
Yeah, for a 5 spot I'd definitely consider this for some single player fun. Anybody want to chime in on this?

It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's a solid FPS. Has 3 enjoyable campaigns with varying play-styles and the multi-player isn't bad either.

I liked it on 360 enough to double dip on PC, I'm just hoping it runs well.

nyong

Banned
mxgt said:
Is it any good? never played but I guess you can't really go wrong for that price.
MP is basically dead, but the campaign is pretty fun. I beat it twice on the 360 before picking it up for Steam. If you're a fan of Aliens or Predator I'd say go for it. The graphics are good at times and the alien animations are phenomenal. Gunplay is alright. It's a pretty average shooter if you aren't interested in the source material, though.

Zimbardo

direct 2 drive has a 20% off everything sale going on now, along with a 75% off top racing games (which the 20% off also seems to be able to be added).

kind of a piss off tho ...cus i was wanting to buy Need for Speed Hot Pursuit for like $11 ...but it says that its country restricted by my IP. this doesn't make sense tho, because on the Need for Speed page it says the title is available in USA and Canada, which applies to me.

weird. all the other games don't give me that message and i never got it before on D2D.

Luigi87

Jzero15 said:
Bought Arkham Asylum, i seriously need to stop buying games i'm not going to play for a while :(

You really do need to stop, however you know full well that you're going to play Arkham Asylum. Right. Now.

Zimbardo

batman AA is $6 on direct2drive and $7.50 on steam.

everyone should own this game by now. one of the best to come out in the last few years, imo.

biocat

Zimbardo said:
direct 2 drive has a 20% off everything sale going on now, along with a 75% off top racing games (which the 20% off also seems to be able to be added).

kind of a piss off tho ...cus i was wanting to buy Need for Speed Hot Pursuit for like $11 ...but it says that its country restricted by my IP. this doesn't make sense tho, because on the Need for Speed page it says the title is available in USA and Canada, which applies to me.

weird. all the other games don't give me that message and i never got it before on D2D.
Yeah. I'm having the same IP restriction problem when I try to buy NFSHP

Blizzard

Banned
Zimbardo said:

Wow, that means Vampire: The Masquerade is on sale for $16! :O Valve, quick, you have to beat them!

So despite the lame missing online co-op, is the Ghostbusters game worth $10?

stuminus3 said:
Both of these games are fantastic. They take their cues from classic Looking Glass Studios stuff, Arx in particular was conceived with the intention of being an Ultima Underworld game. Arcane Studios put together a really sweet patch for Arx recently, actually... fixed it up real good for modern operating systems. Dark Messiah is also very cinematic, as far as that kind of thing goes. Very under-rated.

I completely agree about Arx Fatalis, though be warned it does look its age. Awesome game.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is a fantastic game, but be warned: the game has memory leak (I think?) issues that were never fixed with a patch. I just recently built this gaming PC, and there are sections in the game where I have to reload every 3-4 minutes because the framerate slows to single digits. I've heard the console port has its own issues.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Feep said:
This is probably old news, but I logged onto Steam today and it was like, "Automatically detect, download, and install new versions of your graphics card's drivers!"

Steam. Making everything else look BAD.

Yep. :p

Binabik15

Binabik15 said:
I just tried to run Assassin´s Creed after installing it after the 4 pack deal.

It starts and makes all boot-up/logo noises, but only shows a black screen. I can alt-tab out of it and access the Steam menu with alt+tab inside the game, but teh graphicz!!!1! are missing.

Help.

PS: Out of curiosity, why is the steam icon in my taskbar always Metro 2033´s icon? It was the first game I registered on this account, btw.

Bump.

Google only gave me year old hits on that, mostly resolved by updating the drivers. My 5850 drivers are the most recent, though.

Another possible solution seems to be running the game in DX9, how do you force that in Steam?

Any other ideas?

Lime

Binabik15 said:
Bump.

Google only gave me year old hits on that, mostly resolved by updating the drivers. My 5850 drivers are the most recent, though.

Another possible solution seems to be running the game in DX9, how do you force that in Steam?

Any other ideas?

Try to run it in XP SP3 Compability mode if you want it to run in DX9.

Otherwise, I would check the file integrity through Steam. See if there is anything missing. I'm on a 6950 on 10.14 RC drivers and AC1 runs fine.

Minsc

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
Wow, that means Vampire: The Masquerade is on sale for $16! :O Valve, quick, you have to beat them!

Sorry, I'm going to nitpick, but I always find it confusing when people refer to Bloodlines as Vampire: The Masquerade, or just The Masquerade. Yes, that's part of it's title, but it makes me think people are talking about the game book or Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption, since that came out first.

263175.jpg

So saying "Vampire - The Masquerade" is just referencing the Whitewolf gamebook it is based on - it'd be like calling Dawn of War 2, Warhammer 40k, which would be very confusing since Dawn of War 1 is also titled Warhammer 40k (not to mention a ton of other things/books). So you're not really referring to a game at all when you call Bloodlines that, you're referring to a gamebook. It's especially a weird thing to call Bloodlines, since Vampire: The Masquerade is longer to type out and harder. /nitpick

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Yay i bought the Gothic Universe bundle! That's a lot of games for $5,75. I guess i should start with the first one because i hear 2 is kinda of a direct sequel or something like that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gexecuter said:
Yay i bought the Gothic Universe bundle! That's a lot of games for $5,75. I guess i should start with the first one because i hear 2 is kinda of a direct sequel or something like that.
Where is that link? Sorry as I can't see it and I watched some of the trailers and was basically sold.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
Thanks for the link!

I guess I should also ask if that update for the third game is free for everyone? The graphics overhaul one.

Yeah i'm pretty sure the community patch that fixes a lot of stuff for Gothic 3 is free, i'm not sure if it overhauls the graphics.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gexecuter said:
Yeah i'm pretty sure the community patch that fixes a lot of stuff for Gothic 3 is free, i'm not sure if it overhauls the graphics.
I should have linked to this.

Not sure if that's the same thing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Stallion Free said:
Looks like Steam might start carrying Brady Games guides, with Shogun 2's up now.

If they're going to do that, they should also build a PDF viewer in to their UI that automatically loads the guide if you own it. But it's not a bad idea, if some of those guides hit just $1 or $2, I'd probably buy a few if I had a tablet or they were integrated to Steam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Minsc said:
If they're going to do that, they should also build a PDF viewer in to their UI that automatically loads the guide if you own it. But it's not a bad idea, if some of those guides hit just $1 or $2, I'd probably buy a few if I had a tablet or they were integrated to Steam.
I picked up Dragon Age's out of curiousity a while back and I found that I used the DA Wiki far more than the guide on my recent playthrough. They really should just add bookmarks to the in-game browser lol. I just wasn't impressed with the level of detail put into the Prima guide and the website set up felt fairly crude.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Minsc said:
Sorry, I'm going to nitpick, but I always find it confusing when people refer to Bloodlines as Vampire: The Masquerade, or just The Masquerade. Yes, that's part of it's title, but it makes me think people are talking about the game book or Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption, since that came out first.

http://www.31012.com/images/263175.jpg

So saying "Vampire - The Masquerade" is just referencing the Whitewolf gamebook it is based on - it'd be like calling Dawn of War 2, Warhammer 40k, which would be very confusing since Dawn of War 1 is also titled Warhammer 40k (not to mention a ton of other things/books). So you're not really referring to a game at all when you call Bloodlines that, you're referring to a gamebook. It's especially a weird thing to call Bloodlines, since Vampire: The Masquerade is longer to type out and harder. /nitpick
I don't think it's really a nitpick; there's a legitimate point in there. I mean, if you want to shorten a game's title, pick the part that's unique. Here, you'd pick "Bloodlines", and it'd be good (if the context is clear). Or "Redemption" for the first one.
VtM (the PnPRPG) is restricted to a specific epoch of the World of Darkness setting, so just saying "Vampire — The Masquerade" means something entirely different (and very specific) to a dude who's been down that road than someone who doesn't know all about it would expect.

coopolon

krzy123 said:
Kinda sucky I can't buy Gothic 1 separate :(, I got Gothic II Gold and Gothic 3 last year for $2.99 or something.

Edit: I'm wrong, I think because I just bought it in the pack it looked like you could buy it individually, but I was wrong. Still, paying $5.75 is better than paying $10 on GoG.

So I went ahead and bought Gothic Universe and Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition for $8.25.

It actually surprises I didn't pick up Gothic 4. I actually liked the demo, but it's pretty rare that I've seen a game with such overwhelmingly negative impressions online despite the pretty graphics so I decided to pass this time. Maybe if it drops down to $5 sometime I'll try it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom