• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

WYVGs.png

Taking my time to get the most out of what will probably be my last playthrough of this wonderful game.

Seeing some creepy shit i never really noticed before as well:

CgLb2.png

Minsc

Gold Member
coopolon said:
So the Gothic Universe Edition doesn't come with the Forsaken Gods addon, which is $2.50 to buy by itself?

So if you really want everything except Gothic 4 I guess you have to get the Gothic Universe Edition for $5.75 and the Forsaken Gods enhanced Edition for $2.50?

The Forsaken Gods EE is a standalone expansion, so you don't need Gothic 3 to play it. You could just get that and nothing else, but I picked up both. Gothic 3 would still need the community patch I'm guessing. I could be wrong though, but it does seem like they're two separate games, and the people who worked on the community patch for Gothic 3 get some of the money from your purchase of The Forsaken Gods EE.

Moobabe said:
I'm browsing the stuff on sale and I'm torn - Hoard looks fun, Gothic complete doesn't interest me so much, though 4 on its own does but so does the Winter Voices collection - can I get any recommendations one way or another?

Gothic 4 is the worst of the series. I'd say go for Risen or TW2 or Divinity 2: DKS instead. Or Fallout New Vegas or any other recent open world RPG you haven't played. Maybe even The Witcher if you haven't yet. Unless you actually want the trimmed/watered down experience Gothic 4 delivers.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
LocoMrPollock said:
Steam Achievements don't really do it for me. Mainly because it's a pain in the ass to see what you've unlocked, or to see what your friends have and then to try and compare them. I think they need to implement an overall gamerscore type system and give each game a set value as well.
For the love of all that is gabe based god, no.

theBishop

Banned
I already have Batman on ps3, but better graphics and new content is tempting for $7. What's in the goty pack that wasn't in the original? Is it worth a buy even if I don't play for a while?

Haeleos

theBishop said:
I already have Batman on ps3, but better graphics and new content is tempting for $7. What's in the goty pack that wasn't in the original? Is it worth a buy even if I don't play for a while?

A handful of challenge maps and 3D support.

plc268

poppabk said:
For the love of all that is gabe based god, no.

I don't think we need a gamerscore type system, but there should be a centralized page showing all your recent achievements and your most valuable achievements, and it should be quick to view.

The achievements as it is right now, are completely worthless and a pain in the ass to view.

Minsc

Gold Member
theBishop said:

If you have a good nVidia card, it's worth $7 for the physX alone.

Haeleos said:
A handful of challenge maps and 3D support.

The original release had nVidia 3D Vision support didn't it? I remember seeing a ton of youtube videos showing off the 3D scarecrow from the PC version with the physX in 3D as well, was amazing.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
why in the fuuuu does batman keep telling me 'you're not signed into a profile and won't save your shit'

when I AM SIGNED IN argh. just played for 30 minutes thinking it was maybe being a bit screwy. Yeah, it didn't save shit.

Moobabe

Minsc said:
Gothic 4 is the worst of the series. I'd say go for Risen or TW2 or Divinity 2: DKS instead. Or Fallout New Vegas or any other recent open world RPG you haven't played. Maybe even The Witcher if you haven't yet. Unless you actually want the trimmed/watered down experience Gothic 4 delivers.

I should have mentioned that I have played Oblivion, FO3, The Witcher and NWN2 - only two of which I've finished :S I wasn't specifically looking for an rpg - just a game on sale :p

Nabs

catfish said:
why in the fuuuu does batman keep telling me 'you're not signed into a profile and won't save your shit'

when I AM SIGNED IN argh. just played for 30 minutes thinking it was maybe being a bit screwy. Yeah, it didn't save shit.

2a5xbtx.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wtf I can start a normal game if I use the mouse, as soon as I click anything with the xbox 360 controller it trys to 'sign me in' but I'm already signed in. I've got fuck all options except to sign in. So then I do that and it tells me the no profile shit.

FUCK IT. I want to play this with a controller.

Isn't Games For Windows Live awesome, and with such a rock solid foundation you can easily understand why they're moving on to adding fantastic things like avatars and the new 360-styled U.I. Truly, the future of PC gaming is here. The question is, are you ready for it?

Presco

catfish said:

I was about 8 hours into Batman, 3 hours into Kane and Lynch and Dawn of War 2, and 10 hours into a Legendary run of Halo 2 when GFWL decided to erase all my saves earlier this week. I have to reenter the serials every time I load up a GFW game now. It's not a crazy investment in time or anything, but it's enough that I'll likely never play these games again now, aside from Halo 2 online and Dawn of War 2 coop. And I was loving Batman. I'll be going out of my way to avoid GFWL games.

bigace33

Batman is just so awesome even with the disgusting games for windows live junk. The combat is the best ever in a Third person action game. So smooth it really makes you feel like Batman. Dini's writing is on point as well. I already had this on 360 so I wonder if all my achievements will carry over or are they going to award me the achievements all over again? Either way this is an amazing game that I look forward to beating again.

O.DOGG

Presco said:
I was about 8 hours into Batman, 3 hours into Kane and Lynch and Dawn of War 2, and 10 hours into a Legendary run of Halo 2 when GFWL decided to erase all my saves earlier this week. I have to reenter the serials every time I load up a GFW game now. It's not a crazy investment in time or anything, but it's enough that I'll likely never play these games again now, aside from Halo 2 online and Dawn of War 2 coop. And I was loving Batman. I'll be going out of my way to avoid GFWL games.

The same thing happened to me when playing Batman: AA. About 7 hours into it I was doing some challenges, and when I got back to the story mode, it started from the intro. POS GFWL wasn't signed in or something, I don't know, and my save game was erased. I haven't touched the game since. I want to but I'm wary of that happening again, and of wasting all this time I don't really have.

stuminus3

bigace33 said:
I already had this on 360 so I wonder if all my achievements will carry over or are they going to award me the achievements all over again?
You double your achievements. I've confused a bunch of 360-owning friends with this because they don't understand why some of my 360 games appear on my gamertag twice.

Minsc said:
If you have a good nVidia card, it's worth $7 for the physX alone.

The original release had nVidia 3D Vision support didn't it? I remember seeing a ton of youtube videos showing off the 3D scarecrow from the PC version with the physX in 3D as well, was amazing.

I played my non-GOTY in 3D.

nyong

Banned
I don't like the idea of an overall gamerscore, but I would like comparing achievements with friends easier on a game-by-game basis. Perhaps highlighting the top 3 people in your friend's list on each game's page? The entire point in achievements (IMO) is to create some friendly competition. Steam achievements are kinda pointless as it is.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
damnit I thought gfwl was being a bitch so I uninstalled it. Now batman AA wont even launch. god.

uninstalling and redownloading from steam. FROWN.

Jin34

Speaking of GFWL debacles, is there a way to transfer save files to a new PC/HDD? I copy the save folder into the new HDD but it still says no save data found. Really blows not having all the chars you unlocked in Street Fighter 4.

Jin34 said:
Speaking of GFWL debacles, is there a way to transfer save files to a new PC/HDD? I copy the save folder into the new HDD but it still says no save data found. Really blows not having all the chars you unlocked in Street Fighter 4.

Start a new game on your new pc, make sure it's the same profile. exit out, go to save folder, copy the save file name, rename your old file with new name and replace it.

Nairume said:
So, how fixed is the Enhanced Edition of Forgotten Gods? Fixed enough to where it is worth getting over G3?

Not unless you want to skip the main game. FG is an expansion.

stuminus3

Nairume said:
So, how fixed is the Enhanced Edition of Forgotten Gods? Fixed enough to where it is worth getting over G3?
No. G3 is a much larger game (and was actually developed by PB)... G3 has similar community patches that bring it up to speed, they just aren't supported by JoWood. Actually I think the Steam release of G3 actually uses v1.6 of the community patch, which JoWood somehow got the rights to use, though the most current community patch for G3 is 1.74 (which you can install just fine on the Steam version).

FG is just a standalone expansion that uses part of the same game world and all of the same assets as G3.

Minsc

Gold Member
stuminus3 said:
No. G3 is a much larger game (and was actually developed by PB)... G3 has similar community patches that bring it up to speed, they just aren't supported by JoWood. Actually I think the Steam release of G3 actually uses v1.6 of the community patch, which JoWood somehow got the rights to use, though the most current community patch for G3 is 1.74 (which you can install just fine on the Steam version).

FG is just a standalone expansion that uses part of the same game world and all of the same assets as G3.

That's a pretty good explanation thanks. It bears repeating what was said earlier too:

EviLore said:
The community patch was the starting point, afaik. JoWood hired people who were involved with the community patch to design this EE, and those folks are getting royalties on the sales.

I wonder if anyone can explain why Divinity 2 is $50, and Divinity 2: DKS is $40, am I confused or are they charging an extra $10 for D2 which contains less product since DKS contains the original + Flames of Vengeance expansion?

G-Fex

Minsc said:
The mods I used are listed here. I don't even think I'd call Gothic 1 playable without FPS mod to unlock the framerate to 60fps, it's a disaster at 30fps imo.

It's possible one of those mods added mouse controls and I didn't even realize it, but I'd highly recommend that grouping of mods for the game, makes a huge difference. With the proper sensitivity settings, the mouse works ok and is a welcome compliment to the keyboard wasd controls for the game, iirc I use left mouse for attack and right mouse for jump, which seems a little strange since I don't normally bind jump to the mouse.

thanks a lot man. Installed a patch for Gothic 2 to try later.

stuminus3

Minsc said:
I wonder if anyone can explain why Divinity 2 is $50, and Divinity 2: DKS is $40, am I confused or are they charging an extra $10 for D2 which contains less product since DKS contains the original + Flames of Vengeance expansion?
Different publishers, for some reason.

Jin34

LocoMrPollock said:
Start a new game on your new pc, make sure it's the same profile. exit out, go to save folder, copy the save file name, rename your old file with new name and replace it.

Ah much appreciated, I was copying the whole folder that's why it wasn't working.

Nabs

AcridMeat said:
How do you know? The store page says multi-player and co-op as well as local co-op.
Check the Ghostbusters Steam forum. Some people got fooled by the store description.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
fuck it i'm mailing steam and telling them I want money back. DAMNIT I wanted to play batman again.

catfish said:
fuck it i'm mailing steam and telling them I want money back. DAMNIT I wanted to play batman again.

If you don't have any luck, you could try reinstalling-

DirectX and PhysX
C++
.Net frameworks 3.51 and 4.0

That fixes 90% of problems with GFWL.

Hanzou

catfish said:
wtf I can start a normal game if I use the mouse, as soon as I click anything with the xbox 360 controller it trys to 'sign me in' but I'm already signed in. I've got fuck all options except to sign in. So then I do that and it tells me the no profile shit.

FUCK IT. I want to play this with a controller.

Same thing happened to em when I started playing a few months ago. I ended up fixing it but cant exactly remember how. Try starting the game using the mouse and make it so it doesnt auto log in to live. close down the game and load it back up and use the controller.

I am not sure if this will work but I had the same problem with you and just fiddled around with the auto login setting and crap and then it fixed it self. Just turn off auto login to start.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Grabbed Gothic 4, wasn't really feeling the full bundle.

Also totally forgot the Dreamcast bundle had been added to steam. CRAAAZZZYYY TAXIII.

stuminus3

jaundicejuice said:
So what's the word on Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah. I was reading this rps article on Arx and it kind of piqued my interest. Downloading the demos for Arx and Dark Messiah (for the hell of it) right now.
Both of these games are fantastic. They take their cues from classic Looking Glass Studios stuff, Arx in particular was conceived with the intention of being an Ultima Underworld game. Arcane Studios put together a really sweet patch for Arx recently, actually... fixed it up real good for modern operating systems. Dark Messiah is also very cinematic, as far as that kind of thing goes. Very under-rated.

Sanjay

Jin34 said:

Yes you can, I had to goggle the method for each GFWL game. From what I discovered Batman: Arkham Asylum is the only one where you can't back up as they do some stupid ass locking shit.

LocoMrPollock said:
If you don't have any luck, you could try reinstalling-

DirectX and PhysX
C++
.Net frameworks 3.51 and 4.0

That fixes 90% of problems with GFWL.

Might as well reinstall your OS too.

Enk

makes good threads.
As pretty as Gothic 4 may be, and as decent as the combat feels, this game seems to be incredibly basic. Only 4hrs in but there appears to be very little in the ways of customizing your character when leveling, weapon/armor/loot gains, dialogue choices, etc. Even on the second island I've been only fighting 2 enemy types for 2 1/2 hours. Still going to play through it but after this and the Witcher I'm going to need something deeper when it comes to character customization/world building to go along with the pretty graphics.

Also apparently there was going to be a big add on released for Gothic 4 today but was put on hold due to legality issues.

stuminus3 said:
Both of these games are fantastic. They take their cues from classic Looking Glass Studios stuff, Arx in particular was conceived with the intention of being an Ultima Underworld game. Arcane Studios put together a really sweet patch for Arx recently, actually... fixed it up real good for modern operating systems. Dark Messiah is also very cinematic, as far as that kind of thing goes. Very under-rated.

Speaking of Looking Glass, well Ion Storm too I guess, it sounds like the voice actor for Garrett was doing the narration in the intro to the Arx Fatalis demo. AF strikes me as the kind of game that I would absolutely love, but the demo's performance is horrendous.

http://arkane-studios.com/uk/arx_downloads.php

The patch makes it run like butter on modern OS's? I think I'll just bite, at worst I'll be out 5$.

Now I just have to wait for the Dark Messiah demo to finish downloading.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Enk said:
As pretty as Gothic 4 may be, and as decent as the combat feels, this game seems to be incredibly basic. Only 4hrs in but there appears to be very little in the ways of customizing your character when leveling, weapon/armor/loot gains, dialogue choices, etc. Even on the second island I've been only fighting 2 enemy types for 2 1/2 hours. Still going to play through it but after this and the Witcher I'm going to need something deeper when it comes to character customization/world building to go along with the pretty graphics.

Also apparently there was going to be a big add on released for Gothic 4 today but was put on hold due to legality issues.

Gothic 4 is a terrible game. It actually gets even more boring by hour 5, and just goes down from there. Don't even bother with it any more.

Gothic 3, with the fan patches, is a much much better game.

epmode

jaundicejuice said:
Speaking of Looking Glass, well Ion Storm too I guess, it sounds like the voice actor for Garrett was doing the narration in the intro to the Arx Fatalis demo. AF strikes me as the kind of game that I would absolutely love, but the demo's performance is horrendous.

http://arkane-studios.com/uk/arx_downloads.php

The patch makes it run like butter on modern OS's? I think I'll just bite, at worst I'll be out 5$.
It runs better but it's still not perfect. My framerate in Windows 7 64 drops from a perfect 60 FPS to 15-30 whenever certain UI elements appear onscreen. Still worth playing IMO.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
looking for a good racing game on Steam, which leads me to this question:

Does Burnout: Paradise not have controller support? I don't see it listed on it's store page, and there's no way I'm playing that shit with WASD.

Shaneus

Snuggler said:

Does Burnout: Paradise not have controller support? I don't see it listed on it's store page, and there's no way I'm playing that shit with WASD.
Plays fine :) Can't remember whether it has proper button displays (or just "Button 1", "Button 2" etc.) but I've definitely played it with my 360 controller. When in doubt, check the game's forum on Steam... they usually answer any pre-purchase questions :)

Leatherface

Snuggler said:

I play It with a controller. the option is definitely there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom