• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
LocoMrPollock said:
Part 2 has mouse control, you just have to enable it. You can also play with the standard WSAD style as well.

Edit: It's implemented pretty shitty though.

I used WASD + mouse for Gothic 1 as well, but I had to crank the mouse sensitivity up way high, and there's no mouse for menu navigation or anything. It was a little awkward at first, but it worked well enough by the end. You do mainly use the keyboard for everything, but you can use the mouse in conjunction with the keyboard to turn around really fast or make slight adjustments.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I already have Gothic II: Gold, and Gothic 3, but I bought the Forsaken Gods EE, just to support the work of the community.

stuminus3

Sanjay said:
I loved Risen and Gothic 1 & 2 come off archaic like you said, so really I'm only on the fence with Gothic 3. Does it hold up well if it came out today? That's what I'm doubting and feel like to just pass on it.
If you loved Risen, there's no reason you wouldn't love Gothic 3 (so long as you install the 1.74 community patch). I love Risen too but it's like a less ambitious, more restrained version of Gothic 3. They look and play very similarly.

G-Fex

I downloaded Risen's demo and holy crap I suck at this. I thought it was fine til I just kept getting attacked, my blocking didn't work and I know it's a stupid club but still. And I died without even getting anywhere. Welp If I suck that bad then..

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
G-Fex said:
I downloaded Risen's demo and holy crap I suck at this. I thought it was fine til I just kept getting attacked, my blocking didn't work and I know it's a stupid club but still. And I died without even getting anywhere. Welp If I suck that bad then..

Just takes a bit of practice. Don't spam your attacks, just do everything slowly and deliberately.

G-Fex

EviLore said:
Just takes a bit of practice. Don't spam your attacks, just do everything slowly and deliberately.

ohhhhhhhhh so like Demon's Souls?

here I am trying to play like Fallout 3 or something

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Just pulled the trigger on the Gothic Bundle. That's a lot of crpg gaming for $19 so I'm not complaining.

OT: G-Fex what the hell show is that from? It looks like some demented My Little Pony.

volturnus

Banned
SteelAttack said:
I am desperately trying to convince myself of not picking up NWN2.

I already got The Witcher! >_< Why you must be like this, Steam?
NWN2 is totally worth it, even if you're not a hardcore D&D fan. Also, being the platinum edition makes it a steal.

G-Fex

Arkaerial said:
OT: G-Fex what the hell show is that from? It looks like some demented My Little Pony.

Demented My Little Pony like you said.

And I'm going to pick up NWN2 and Gothic Universe bundle done and done. Not much left of my tax return but damn if I didn't spend it buying some awesome PC games.

Salsa

rhfb said:
Wish batman didn't have the drm/limits and had steam chevos. The price is good, just wish the features were there :(

I think its a 4 limit activation renewable by month, no biggie.

AcridMeat

Banned
Somewhat related, Salsa and I tested the new voicechat in steam. Works pretty well, made it nice and awkward. That might have been our doing.

AcridMeat said:
Somewhat related, Salsa and I tested the new voicechat in steam. Works pretty well, made it nice and awkward. That might have been our doing.
Nice. I'm not one to favor online voicechat unless strictly required, but it's good to know it works nice.
Does Salsa sound manly?

AcridMeat

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Nice. I'm not one to favor online voicechat unless strictly required, but it's good to know it works nice.
Does Salsa sound manly?

I like voice chatting with pals, I never do it with randoms. I forgot he would have an accent so it took me by surprise haha.

Chris R

SalsaShark said:
I think its a 4 limit activation renewable by month, no biggie.
The lack of achievments is a big thing for me though. Would be a nobrainer with them, but without I can wait until the holidays if my backlog allows.

Salsa

rhfb said:
The lack of achievments is a big thing for me though. Would be a nobrainer with them, but without I can wait until the holidays if my backlog allows.

It has GFWL achievements. Game is fucking great man, please dont let the lack of achievements be any reason for you not to enjoy it :/
god dammit this gen

AcridMeat said:
I like voice chatting with pals, I never do it with randoms. I forgot he would have an accent so it took me by surprise haha.

Dude my english was so fucked up, havent spoken in it in a while. Gonna train in the mirror now (?)

rhfb said:

Steam Achievements don't really do it for me. Mainly because it's a pain in the ass to see what you've unlocked, or to see what your friends have and then to try and compare them. I think they need to implement an overall gamerscore type system and give each game a set value as well.

Salsa

Lasthope106 said:
Click on the image you want -> View full size -> Right-click and select view image (Firefox), or Open image in new tab (Chrome) -> Profit!

edit: huh, weird that i can actually post it. Figured it wouldnt work.

Chris R

LocoMrPollock said:
Steam Achievements don't really do it for me. Mainly because it's a pain in the ass to see what you've unlocked, or to see what your friends have and then to try and compare them. I think they need to implement an overall gamerscore type system and give each game a set value as well.
Ya that stuff would be great. I just like having secondary goals to shoot for that track and update, don't care one bit for gfwl though.

Javaman

Visualante said:
How much is Lego Star Wars III in the US, might wait on reviews. Never played a Lego game so sounds nice disposable fun.

$30. I picked it up last night and am loving it so far. The graphics are much better than the earlier Lego Star Wars games.

I just bought the Gothic Universe package. Is this basically all I need to enjoy these games, or do I need expansions? I know nothing about the games except that Gothic 2 is great, Gothic 3 has amazing music, and Gothic 4 is shit.

EDIT: Fuuuuuuuuuck, The Witcher also? I guess I have no choice. I will never finish all of these games :(

G-Fex

tried first gothic, seemed awesome buuuuuuuut I guess there's some community site with a mod that enables mouse controls?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
G-Fex said:
tried first gothic, seemed awesome buuuuuuuut I guess there's some community site with a mod that enables mouse controls?

Setting the control scheme to "alternative" enables mouse support, however it's not all that great.

G-Fex

JaseC said:
Setting the control scheme to "alternative" enables mouse support, however it's not all that great.

Yeah and the camera move control is really weird in Gothic 2, not very well.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Anyone have a guide or link to these Gothic fan patches? My DLs are finishing and I'd like to apply them before diving in.

Narag

SalsaShark said:
So why am i getting "V1.0" of Batman: AA ? wasnt there like a bunch of patches and fixes after release ?

Any chance it's 1.0 of the GOTY edition and all the fixes are rolled into that?

MNC

SalsaShark said:
So why am i getting "V1.0" of Batman: AA ? wasnt there like a bunch of patches and fixes after release ?
It did the same for me, I'm going to assume this is V1.0 of the GOTY edition which already included all the paches from the regular Batman, hence it staying on 1.0.

edit: NARAG YOU DWEEB

Salsa

That makes sense. Thanks!

Got my Dual Shock 2 to work with 360 pad emulation. Kinda hard to get into the controller when i already played through the game with the keyboard. Wanted to hook this up to the TV so i'll just have to get used to it.

Binabik15

I just tried to run Assassin´s Creed after installing it after the 4 pack deal.

It starts and makes all boot-up/logo noises, but only shows a black screen. I can alt-tab out of it and access the Steam menu with alt+tab inside the game, but teh graphicz!!!1! are missing.

Help.

PS: Out of curiosity, why is the steam icon in my taskbar always Metro 2033´s icon? It was the first game I registered on this account, btw.

Minsc

Gold Member
G-Fex said:

The mods I used are listed here. I don't even think I'd call Gothic 1 playable without FPS mod to unlock the framerate to 60fps, it's a disaster at 30fps imo.

It's possible one of those mods added mouse controls and I didn't even realize it, but I'd highly recommend that grouping of mods for the game, makes a huge difference. With the proper sensitivity settings, the mouse works ok and is a welcome compliment to the keyboard wasd controls for the game, iirc I use left mouse for attack and right mouse for jump, which seems a little strange since I don't normally bind jump to the mouse.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Binabik15 said:
PS: Out of curiosity, why is the steam icon in my taskbar always Metro 2033´s icon? It was the first game I registered on this account, btw.

I've had weird Steam icon shenanigans before, but never it taking a game's icon. Weird.

coopolon

So the Gothic Universe Edition doesn't come with the Forsaken Gods addon, which is $2.50 to buy by itself?

So if you really want everything except Gothic 4 I guess you have to get the Gothic Universe Edition for $5.75 and the Forsaken Gods enhanced Edition for $2.50?

Moobabe

I'm browsing the stuff on sale and I'm torn - Hoard looks fun, Gothic complete doesn't interest me so much, though 4 on its own does but so does the Winter Voices collection - can I get any recommendations one way or another?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom