• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

Bluth54 said:
People have found a couple of hints that Valve and EA may of worked out their differences and will be bringing Battlefield 3 to Steam.

First off is this Sapphire contest, where the prize is a steam code for Battlefield 3:
"One (1) PC Game code for Battlefield 3, redeemable for the game on Steam (www.steampowered.com) with a Suggested Retail Price of $USD 59.99"

Also someone on the Steam forums found that the PBSetup.exe file, used to install Punk Buster for Battlefield Installs, was updated with a couple of interesting install directories:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 3\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\battlefield 3\
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\battlefield 3\
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 3\

Another user confirms it.

I had my doubts that EA and Valve would be able to work something out but it's looking more and more like they were able to.

#wishfulthinking continues
origin code to activate on Steam

jediyoshi

JaseC said:
Valve should simply alter their DLC policy to apply only to free-to-play games.
I thought it was established that that wasn't the only reason? Otherwise GFWL titles wouldn't allow for off Steam DLC purchases by now. I'd imagine if some deal got worked out, they'd still want to get Origin installed one way or another.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jediyoshi said:
I thought it was established that that wasn't the only reason? Otherwise GFWL titles wouldn't allow for off Steam DLC purchases by now. I'd imagine if some deal got worked out, they'd still want to get Origin installed one way or another.

If so, I'm not aware of a secondary reason. The last I had read of the situation, the impasse was due to Valve's DLC policy. As far as GfWL games are concerned, developers can still offer their DLC via the Marketplace, but it has to also be available on Steam (e.g. SSFIV:AE). I believe the policy isn't retroactive in nature, hence why earlier GfWL titles appear to be exempt.

wilflare

The Broken Ska Record said:
Yea, I didn't want to re-buy the game at $10, but the concept of online co-op on PC was too much. I still hold strong with my Dead Rising and Devil May Cry stance until they go down to $5.

similar case for me. except it would be Dead Rising and RE5

JaseC

3chopl0x said:
Why doesn't that apply to Dirt 3 then? There's a lot of BS surrounding this.

It also doesn't apply to Operation Flashpoint: Red River.

Now I don't know what to believe!

Edit: Actually, it seems EA didn't begin removing their games until mid-June, so perhaps the policy didn't come into effect until then (or thereabouts)? The only GfWL title with DLC since that tentative date is SSFIV: AE, and as I said above that has DLC on both the Marketplace and Steam Store.

Card Boy

Banned
Bluth54 said:
People have found a couple of hints that Valve and EA may of worked out their differences and will be bringing Battlefield 3 to Steam.

First off is this Sapphire contest, where the prize is a steam code for Battlefield 3:
"One (1) PC Game code for Battlefield 3, redeemable for the game on Steam (www.steampowered.com) with a Suggested Retail Price of $USD 59.99"

Also someone on the Steam forums found that the PBSetup.exe file, used to install Punk Buster for Battlefield Installs, was updated with a couple of interesting install directories:

I had my doubts that EA and Valve would be able to work something out but it's looking more and more like they were able to.

I don't belive it. For anyone that has played BF3 you would know that BF3 is built into the Origin and Battlelog system. It's not like GFWL, its more akin to Steam.

JaseC

Gez said:
I don't belive it. For anyone that has played BF3 you would know that BF3 is built into the Origin and Battlelog system. It's not like GFWL, its more akin to Steam.

Of that evidence presented, the only tangible piece is the Sapphire giveaway, although the person who wrote up the T&Cs could have mistakenly referenced Steam rather than Origin.

Echoplx

The only way they could have BF3 on Steam would be by removing the Origin requirement. I can't see it happening with the current setup they have.

JaseC

Drkirby said:
EA wants money, they can sell Battlefield 3 though steam, and reverse Trojan horse Valve.

Followed by Valve's act of revenge by way of making Half-Life 3 available on Origin!

tm24

Giving away Ares and Sanctum+Violator DLC. Quote to say which one of the two you want, i'll be back in 9 hours to PM the code

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Forkball said:
How is Dungron Defenders? A lot of my Steam friends are playing it, but I'm not a fan of tower defense games.

I'm not a fan of TD either but I have fun with DD co-op because it doesn't feel stressful and because of the action-RPG elements (levels, loot, pets, upgrading loot & pets, currency etc). Good game on PC.

Bluth54

JaseC said:
Of that evidence presented, the only tangible piece is the Sapphire giveaway, although the person who wrote up the T&Cs could have mistakenly referenced Steam rather than Origin.

I agree that the Sapphire giveaway could easily be a misprint.

I am more interested in punk buster. Hopefully someone on gaf can check it out for us, because if it's true, and it was updated to include steam install directories, that's pretty big. Like I said hopefully someone here on GAF can take a look for us.

I don't really care either way about Battlefield, since the only competitive multiplayer game I play is TF2. I do hope they work everything out by the time Mass Effect 3 comes out.

Kerrby

Banned
Beaten like a hooker withholding payments from her pimp.

Can someone explain the Battlelog BF3/Origin thing to me and why it wouldn't work on Steam?

jediyoshi

Kerrby said:
Can someone explain the Battlelog BF3/Origin thing to me and why it wouldn't work on Steam?
Likely nothing to do with Battlelog or any other technical reason. EA claims Steam's policies don't take kindly to their games' setups while in reality they likely just want to transition their big properties onto Origin to attract people over. Any other digital distribution service (gamersgate, direct2drive, etc) that sells BF3 requires Origin be installed and the game run from there which is likely one of the few sticking points that would be on Valve's end.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
xelios said:
I'm not a fan of TD either but I have fun with DD co-op because it doesn't feel stressful and because of the action-RPG elements (levels, loot, pets, upgrading loot & pets, currency etc). Good game on PC.

Someone hasn't played on insane yet. :3

Echoplx

Kerrby said:

Origin is a client like Steam and is required to run while playing BF3, in order for it to work with Steams launcher/overlay it would need to run Origin then launch BF3 from Origin

Then you get to the best part; launching BF3 from Origin opens Battlelog in a browser tab which lets you play SP/MP.

;_;

derFeef

Having fun with Dead Space 2 so far. Not very scary yet, but the atmospehre is great. I can't get AA to work though and I guess there is no way thanks to deferred shading? (on AMD)

JaseC

derFeef said:
Having fun with Dead Space 2 so far. Not very scary yet, but the atmospehre is great. I can't get AA to work though and I guess there is no way thanks to deferred shading? (on AMD)

If you have a 6000-series card, you can enable/force MLAA via the Catalyst software.

Edit: Clarity.

Derrick01

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Origin is a client like Steam and is required to run while playing BF3, in order for it to work with Steams launcher/overlay it would need to run Origin then launch BF3 from Origin

Then you get to the best part; launching BF3 from Origin opens Battlelog in a browser tab which lets you play SP/MP.

;_;

Yup way too much bullshit to go through. Buying from Steam shouldn't even matter anymore since you still have to have all that EA spyware shit.

MRORANGE

Bluth54 said:

oh please let this come true.

MNC

Fuck. They better make the game activatible (lol) on steam. It will never happen though. I just purchased the Origin version... Fuck. Technically I haven't activated it and will activate it within a week but... Ugh.

MRORANGE

if it I did buy bf3 I probably would have double dipped at this point :| I set myself a month's deadline after bf3 came out before getting the game, just knowing EA will pull a dick move like this.

MNC

Gez said:

How does BF3 integrate into Origin other than it having an overlay. There's no 'steamworks' like functionality like joining servers THROUGH origin, everything is arranged in the battlelog side of things. It just requires Origin to boot up, as a DRM.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Spectacular Dr Dawg said:
It would be nice if BF3 came out on steam.
So I can buy it a second time in a sale

fixed

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ok, so I just bought Resident Evil 5 on Steam, but it's nowhere to be seen on my list.

When I said "install it now", Steam wanted to download GRID instead. I freaked out (thinking I bougth the wrong game) but Resident Evil 5 is on my Games bought list. Paypal and Steam both sent me emails saying I bought Resident Evil 5.

If I go to Resident Evil 5 page, it says I already own the game and there's a "Play Now" button. However, pressing it does nothing.

I already deleted the blobs, but still the same. I rememebr somebody having a similar problem not long ago.

Any directions of what should I do?

Edit: Oh, great. It seems i'm screwed:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337993

What the hell am I supposed to do now?

Spiegel

Can anyone from the US help me get Resident Evil 5?

It doesn't seem like Capcom is going to discount the game any cheaper and 7€ (10$) seem a fair price compared to 10€ (14$).

Nabs

drizzle said:
Ok, so I just bought Resident Evil 5 on Steam, but it's nowhere to be seen on my list.

When I said "install it now", Steam wanted to download GRID instead. I freaked out (thinking I bougth the wrong game) but Resident Evil 5 is on my Games bought list. Paypal and Steam both sent me emails saying I bought Resident Evil 5.

If I go to Resident Evil 5 page, it says I already own the game and there's a "Play Now" button. However, pressing it does nothing.

I already deleted the blobs, but still the same. I rememebr somebody having a similar problem not long ago.

Any directions of what should I do?

Edit: Oh, great. It seems i'm screwed:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337993

What the hell am I supposed to do now?

You're not the only person with the RE5 / Grid problem http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2177961

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom