• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know what would be cool, a browser based Steam chat client.

Steam chat is quickly becoming my instant messenger of choice, but I can't always be on my computer with Steam installed.

PaulLFC

balladofwindfishes said:
you know what would be cool, a browser based Steam chat client.

Steam chat is quickly becoming my instant messenger of choice, but I can't always be on my computer with Steam installed.
I'd like the chat client to support additional chat protocols as well - I have Steam running in the background pretty much all the time, so it'd be easier for me to keep all chat going through that rather than Steam + Facebook + MSN etc.

Jzero

balladofwindfishes said:
Is it safe to put my Steam password into that?

I'm always hesitant to do so without the secure steam sign-in method.
yea the first time signing in doesn't work, it tells you to check your email for the code.

Remfin

balladofwindfishes said:

You're giving some random website access to your Steam account...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey, odd request here, but does anybody have a spare copy of Portal lying around they could gift to a friend of mine? He just blew my mind by saying he'd never played any part of the orange box. I'm hooking him up with HL2 and so on but I thought somebody might have a loose Portal, free copies of it were given away like... pie back in the day.

Jzero15 said:
It's a secure website.

Jim-Jam's pro-tips for internet volume IX: SSL encryption provides a secure way to communicate between two points and nothing more. If you enter your info into a site which uses SSL they can still see what you've entered on their end because they share an encryption key, otherwise the internet wouldn't work at all :)

Blizzard

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:

I would also hesitate since I suspect that might run afoul of the Valve user agreement (reverse engineering game/Steam/chat protocols?). There was the whole idle program issue a while back with people using an external utility that used TF2 protocols, right?

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Hawkian said:
Hey, odd request here, but does anybody have a spare copy of Portal lying around they could gift to a friend of mine? He just blew my mind by saying he'd never played any part of the orange box. I'm hooking him up with HL2 and so on but I thought somebody might have a loose Portal, free copies of it were given away like... pie back in the day.

Would be happy to donate my giftable copy. Send me a PM if you still need it.

Fewr

svegis said:
Daily deal, Depths of Peril at http://store.steampowered.com/app/23600/

Down 75% from 12,99 to 3,25€.
Has anyone played it?
It seems interesting. I'll give the demo a go.

EDIT: Here's RPGFan's review I found at metacritic.
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/depthsofperil/index.html
But you, the leader of your Covenant, will grow only by duking it out with the hordes of monsters outside the gates of the shared Covenants' territory. By completing prescribed quests and by bashing the life out of every monster you see, you gain experience, money, and indirectly gain power and influence. Your avatar can equip a whole mess of gear, use and learn many different active and passive skills, and do all the sorts of things you'd expect in a top-down Action/RPG/RTS hybrid.

Sounds like standard dungeon-crawling fare, right? Well, yes. But you're on a time limit. Efficiency and strategy are key, because the AI-controlled Covenants are working ceaselessly to do the same thing you are. Slack off, play too inefficiently, or play in an unbalanced manner, and you're likely to get wiped out. Getting "wiped out," by the way, is done only by destroying a crystal in your little hut of a home base. This is your "respawn" point, of course.

Good news, though! Whether you "win" or "lose," the game allows your character to undergo an infinite loop of "new game plus," with some penalties. So if you weren't ready for the world you'd created the first time around, just keep going! However, all quests are reset, so if you were enjoying the series of quests assigned by the NPCs in town, you'll be starting over on them.

Weenerz

Banned
Free stuff, lurkers are welcome to these as well, I don't care if you don't think it's fair.

J7VXE-YLL2H-WR4AR A.R.E.S
55PHF-Y84XD-JYBD4 Sanctum
67BRQ-9Q437-PE9T4 Sanctum Violator DLC
FWIKJ-MBKWI-HYC0P Nimbus

sixclaws

Banned
Weenerz said:
Free stuff, lurkers are welcome to these as well, I don't care if you don't think it's fair.

FWIKJ-MBKWI-HYC0P Nimbus

Thanks for the A.R.E.S code.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Weenerz said:

FWIKJ-MBKWI-HYC0P Nimbus
The lurkers thank you brother! Didn't get anything btw :p

vazel

Banned
Lurkers are at a disadvantage when claiming codes. When I'm not logged into neogaf it takes a while for posts to be updated versus when I'm logged in. You can try this yourself by refreshing neogaf on two browsers, one logged in and one logged out. The lag seems to be about 30 seconds?

eyes.gif
Thanks for the Sanctum code I've been wanting to play that game for a while.

Remfin

Jzero15 said:
It's a secure website.
Gvaz said:
no you don't, it uses OpenID.
These mean absolutely nothing at all; you're adding to a database that is a treasure trove of usernames and passwords just begging to be misused or hacked. If you're fine with that, OK, but SSL or OpenID is not in any way something that you should say to comfort a person iffy about giving someone access to their online identities.

Lurkers don't deserve codes because they won't all become members and give back to the community. My 2c.

Anyway, nearly finished with Ghostbusters: The Video Game (the title must always be written in full because it's funny). Definitely worth the $2.50 I paid for it, though the second half of the game is a bit of a clusterfuck because of the terrible friendly AI. Playing on professional though, so it's probably a lot less of a hassle on lower difficulties.

The production values of the game are pretty incredible. Obviously it was written by Ackroyd and Raimi, but CG Bill Murray steals the show as you'd expect. The detail on the facial models, textures and animations is really impressive, if a bit stiff as with all games. Anyone who still hasn't picked it up, it's two fitty for crying out loud.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
A community is formed by interaction, which inherently excludes a certain group. Doesn't really matter though, because we still have plenty of mute members who haven't posted at all in years, as the Sequence thread shows.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Lyphen said:
A community is formed by interaction, which inherently excludes a certain group. Doesn't really matter though, because we still have plenty of mute members who haven't posted at all in years, as the Sequence thread shows.
There's a difference between registered members that don't post and un-registered members that come in here, read the threads and "steal" codes given by members to the GAF community. Those are the ones I have issues with.

jim-jam bongs said:
Obviously it was written by Ackroyd and Raimi

or not (exactly) :p

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/arts/31schi.html?pagewanted=2&hp

“In the beginning they came to me, and I said, ‘I encourage you, go ahead,’ ” he recounted. “They gave me the script. I took it. I rewrote it doing little tiny structural things, mostly bringing back the tone of the original dialogue and the vernacular — the terms, the idiom — but they really had it. Two-thirds of it was there. Then they gave it to Harold. He did the same thing.”

The game is being hawked by Atari as having been written by Mr. Aykroyd and Mr. Ramis, but both men, in addition to the real writers at Terminal Reality, readily acknowledge that is mostly marketing bunk. “They were happy to have our involvement at all,” Mr. Ramis said. “The crassest way I can put it is that they couldn’t have paid us enough to give it the time and attention required to make it as funny as a feature film.”

jim-jam bongs said:
Lurkers don't deserve codes because they won't all become members and give back to the community. My 2c.

Anyway, nearly finished with Ghostbusters: The Video Game (the title must always be written in full because it's funny). Definitely worth the $2.50 I paid for it, though the second half of the game is a bit of a clusterfuck because of the terrible friendly AI. Playing on professional though, so it's probably a lot less of a hassle on lower difficulties.

The production values of the game are pretty incredible. Obviously it was written by Ackroyd and Raimi, but CG Bill Murray steals the show as you'd expect. The detail on the facial models, textures and animations is really impressive, if a bit stiff as with all games. Anyone who still hasn't picked it up, it's two fitty for crying out loud.
I hadn't followed anything on the game really, so this makes me happy. I didn't know the original actors did the voice acting for it.

angular graphics said:

Oh well that sucks. It does feel authentic, but that must be because of the polishing bits mentioned in that excerpt.

The bigger problem with my original post was that I got Sam Raimi and Harold Ramis mixed up...

>.>

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I hadn't followed anything on the game really, so this makes me happy. I didn't know the original actors did the voice acting for it.

It's actually a bit funny, because Bill Murray's character model is him in his 20s but you know the guy doing the VA is actually in his 60s.

Rufus

jim-jam bongs said:
All you did is draw another arbitrary line. It's not like the majority of members actually gives back to the community. And supposing they did, not every lurker stays a lurker.

If you give something away without any strings attached you should be aware that someone you might not like nabs it first. It's on you to prevent it, should you have issues with that.

jim-jam bongs said:
It's actually a bit funny, because Bill Murray's character model is him in his 20s but you know the guy doing the VA is actually in his 60s.
So we get Steve Zissou's voice for Venkman, even better. Now i do need to play this game sometime.

If I'd have had a say, I'd have named you Kingsley.

Rufus said:
All you did is draw another arbitrary line. It's not like the majority of members actually gives back to the community. And supposing they did, not every lurker stays a lurker.

It's not really arbitrary. If someone is a member who never posts they at least have an opportunity to contribute, lurkers don't have that opportunity. You can assume that the latter will contribute nothing and be correct, you can't assume the same about the former.

Rufus

jim-jam bongs said:
It's not really arbitrary. If someone is a member who never posts they at least have an opportunity to contribute, lurkers don't have that opportunity.
Unless they become a member.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jim-jam bongs said:

Last stage has an extremely broken part on it. You'll like the game more on easier difficulties.

I played it when it came out and the bottom is definitely my opinion. Though Murray wasn't that good, its definitely worth a play if you enjoyed the movies. Its funny, full of fanservice, with some decent gameplay.

Chesskid1

Banned
so i just played the first 3 hours of dungeon siege 3 with my friend.
we got it for $10 each off that one guy selling arkham city.

anyways, it was pretty damn fun.

standard dungeon crawler /w the usual classes.

it has dialogue system like dragon age: origins where you pick what to say to ask questions, etc. what's really cool is when playing in co-op you can see what the other people playing want to say during a dialogue. never really seen that in a co-op game before.

graphics are so-so but the dungeon crawling is pretty fun, it has a decent story so far and i'd recommend it for co-op for sure. plenty of loot to as well. def pick it up for $10 if you have a co-op buddy.

play it with a controller as well, it's all setup to be played by a controller really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom