• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blizzard said:
I know the ingame peak is low, but since it's been near the top of the top sellers list, I just wondered if there was something wrong with the ingame stat tracking. It had been suggested that lots of people were unable to launch the Steam version of L.A. Noire, but as far as I know there's no broad info on that and the Steam forums were still down last I checked.

Could be, I guess. Maybe it's sold a boatload but everyone's playing Skyrim and COD instead...

Chesskid1

Banned
Euphor!a said:
Anyone know if you buy Saints Row 3 somewhere like Green Man Gaming and register it on Steam, will you get the pre-order stuff? Or is that purely for Steam purchases?

it says right on the GMG page that you get the preorder stuff..

unless there is a special steam preorder item, then idk. probably tweet them for an answer.

Joe Molotov

I bought L.A. Noire, but no way in hell am I playing it today.

I've put about 2 hours into it, and so far it seems....not that bad?

Derrick01

Banned
Orayn said:
Just saw a supposed email from Gaben on /v/ saying that we'd start seeing some free copies of Portal 2 and Dota 2 soon because of the hack. Sounds plausible, but I don't really know...

Great, a game I already have and a F2P game I have 0 interest in :(

Zimbardo

L.A. Noire isn't Steamworks, tho, right? so it should have a fair number of sales from retail and other digital distro outlets.

if its in the top 5 selling games on Steam, that's pretty good, too. could be lots of Steam users that own it, but just didn't play it today.

the game probably is selling well enough considering most who probably wanted to play it already did on consoles.

Davidion said:
I used to feel that way when I was approaching 200 too.

Then I hit 300...
I have to say, though, my additions have really tapered off since I hit 300+. Most sales are on stuff I already own now, so I've noticed I have a slow trickle of newer games nowadays. Definitely not seeing a sprint toward 400 personally.

Jomjom

Banned
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but has there been any new information about whether credit card info has been stolen or not? Wondering if I need to cancel the CC I use on Steam.

Professor Beef said:
Is there any way for me to add money to Steam similar to buying a PSN/XBL points card? I only have paper money, and it seems like the only other option I have is to buy one of those disposable credit cards.
Anyone?

wilflare

LastWindow said:
I'm waiting for that, patches, and to just feel like playing it. Right now I'm not in the mood for a huge, open world game.

on another note, this pic is awesome

564449_460s.jpg

Vamphuntr

So is E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy any good? It's only 10$.

I could also get the original Deux Ex for that price (or wait for the christmas deal?)

EDIT : So according to that screencap/Gabe's email we will get DOTA2 ans Portal 2? I already have Portal 2 :(

E.Y.E is fantastic if you don't mind it being rough around the edges. It's Deus Ex plus even crazier gameplay options minus a fantastic story plus online co-op. I like it.

Mrbob

Skyrim has hit 211k concurrent, good lord. Game has set all time records in terms of people playing.

Funny seeing Modern Warfare 3 below it.

I've got Steam keys for the following:

- Denial DLC for FotW
Ben There, Dan That!, Time Gentlemen, Please!
Sequence (code Feep gave me but I bought it anyway)

If you want any of these reply with your Steam ID.

Vamphuntr

TyrantGuardian said:
E.Y.E is fantastic if you don't mind it being rough around the edges. It's Deus Ex plus even crazier gameplay options minus a fantastic story plus online co-op. I like it.

Well I just bought it! Will play tonight :)

Appleman

While I wait for a sale on Skyrim, I've decided to play through Fallout:NV (which I own on steam, but haven't gotten the chance to play yet).

When I run it, the launcher resets my video settings, and then just exits when I press "Play", and I can't figure out how to launch the bloody game... Is this a known issue? I've tried running the direct .exe, but it still just runs the launcher...

If anyone has any ideas, let me know, sucks that the steam forums are down right now.

EDIT-Solved it, was a corrupt user profile.

Spl1nter

LastWindow said:

NightSky
Fate of the World
- Denial DLC for FotW

Fate of the World, pretty please. Steam Profile Page here

sixclaws

Banned
LastWindow said:

NightSky
Fate of the World
- Denial DLC for FotW

Could I get NightSky? My profile is http://steamcommunity.com/id/sixclaws

Also quote for a Gish code since I have an extra one from the Humble Debut.

Echoplx

What's that general rule to calculate how many people own a game by multiplying the current amount of people playing? Multiply by 3?

That's like 700k people who own Skyrim on PC

dLMN8R

3chopl0x said:
What's that general rule to calculate how many people own a game by multiplying the current amount of people playing? Multiply by 3?

That's like 700k people who own Skyrim on PC
In pure mathematics, it looks like this:

(Average # concurrent throughout the day * 24) / (average # hours each of those people played per day)

For a game that's been out for a long time like Killing Floor, Tripwire claimed that the # unique players per day was roughly 10x the peak concurrent number for the day. So if the game had 7,000 concurrent players at one point, roughly 70,000 people played the game that day.

It's different for a brand new game though, since there's far more excitement and a far higher percentage of the userbase is playing, and each of those people are playing for many hour hours in a day.

Caerith

Professor Beef said:
I think you could also cash-buy a visa giftcard then use that to add funds to your Steam wallet, since those cards are functionally debit cards. I don't know how the fees of that compare to the paypal moneypaks, but that's at least two ways to go about it.

Kerrinck

Got my key for Saints Row 3 from D2D but when I tried to redeem it, it said the game could not be installed.
Anyone ever had this problem?
When I tried to activate it again, it said the game is already in my library but it is definitely not there.

Edit: Since it is still 6 days away, maybe that is the reason it is not showing up.
When you pre order a game on steam, does it appear at your library right away?

Vamphuntr

Mat C said:
Is anyone else getting really crappy download speeds tonight on Steam?

Is it just generally fucked?

I'm about at 75% percent of my usual dl speed. Might depends on the server you are. I'm on the Canada-Toronto one. I guess their servers are hammered hard by people downloading Skyrim.

Vamphuntr

Anti Virus is identifying the E.Y.E.exe as a virus and won't let the game boot. Is this a known problem?

EDIT : AVG nuked the .exe. I added the whole folder into the exception list then used the verify cached files integrity option in steam. Steam refuses to dld the .exe. The dld is paused and won't start.

MNC

Ah right, never played it so.

As for the DOTA/Portal 2 for free, kind of bummed to those games for free but then again I love valve and being hacked sucks. I don't mind either way.

Pick-1-game-free is the best so I can get skyrim.

I don't hope for any free games. There haven't been any interruption of services. Maybe a nice promo or an open beta for Dota, a survivor hat, but no free games

Eusis

Vamphuntr said:
Anti Virus is identifying the E.Y.E.exe as a virus and won't let the game boot. Is this a known problem?

EDIT : AVG nuked the .exe. I added the whole folder into the exception list then used the verify cached files integrity option in steam. Steam refuses to dld the .exe. The dld is paused and won't start.
Abandon AVG and get Microsoft Security Essentials. AVG really isn't the best free option anymore, it's done this with Portal 2 and (somewhat amusingly) Eternity's Child.

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
Ah right, never played it so.

As for the DOTA/Portal 2 for free, kind of bummed to those games for free but then again I love valve and being hacked sucks. I don't mind either way.

Pick-1-game-free is the best so I can get skyrim.
There is a screenshot claiming to be an email from Gabe claiming the screenshot claiming to be an email Gabe is not from Gabe, so everyone hold your horses. =P

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Skilletor said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when does the Holiday sale usually start?

Typically, it begins just before Christmas and leads into the New Year.

Edit: Last year's sale began on the 20th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom