• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused

Banned
morningbus said:
All we know for now is that there is an upcoming bundle called the Alpha Fund bundle. Desura, the company behind the Indie Royale bundle, has a page up on their site for "Alpha fund" games, games you pay the upfront cost for now for access to preview builds and an eventual full copy sometime in the future.

This means that, most likely, the games in that bundle will be culled from the games in that alpha fund section on Desura.

Edit: I think understand what you're asking now. When you hit "browse all" on the site, for some reason, it brings up the full list of games available on Desura. The only alpha fund games currently available are the 9 listed on that page currently.

Ok, I misread it them. I found it strange that fully released games showed up in the alpha fund section.

wilflare

strange how many of the PSN exclusives are coming to Steam as well :/
should i get skyrim? lol. gahh come on GMG gimme a preorder code

benjipwns

Banned
Aselith said:
Where's my preload for Saints Row, homies? :(
According to Amazon, 2PM Pacific today.

Couldn't get the GMG bank authorization crap worked out before the sale was over. *grumble grumble*

Blizzard

Banned
Derrick01 said:
Most ever for a single player game? Hell the other day when MW3 launched when I added up both the multi and single players it wasn't even 100,000 (like 98k)
Portal 2 (maybe Civ V?) was the last big singleplayer launch I remember on Steam, but I don't remember its simultaneous numbers.

This is going to be my first holiday season since becoming a born-again PC gamer. I often see references to Steam's holiday sale. Exactly what can I expect?

When does it take place?
What kind of sales are we talking about?
How widespread is the sale in terms of titles?

For example, there are some games I've been meaning to grab on PC like Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed 2 (and newer). Can I expect these titles to go on sale? And what type of % sale are we talking about?

Blizzard

Banned
The Nature Roy said:
This is going to be my first holiday season since becoming a born-again PC gamer. I often see references to Steam's holiday sale. Exactly what can I expect?

When does it take place?

For example, there are some games I've been meaning to grab on PC like Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed 2 (and newer). Can I expect these titles to go on sale? And what type of % sale are we talking about?
It happens around Christmas and New Year's Day for a week or two.

Usually nearly everything on the store except what you want (say, Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines in previous years, or most LEGO games) is on sale. Each day there are typically 6-10 special deals. You're supposed to hope there aren't surprise price changes and just buy the daily deals, buying everything on sale you wanted that wasn't a daily deal, on the lsat day of the sale.

Mirror's Edge has been on sale for $5 like...5 times on different occasions. If EA still lets Valve put it on sale, I wouldn't be surprised to see that number. I have no idea about AC2.

The Nature Roy said:

When does it take place?

Last Xmas:

Mirror's Edge $5
Assassin's Creed 2 $15 This summer it was for $6.79 so you can expect around that or even cheaper.

Blizzard said:
Portal 2 (maybe Civ V?) was the last big singleplayer launch I remember on Steam, but I don't remember its simultaneous numbers.

I think they were about 40-50K each. I thought Football Manager 2012 was big at nearly 70K, but the Skyrim figures are pretty amazing. I'd imagine we can safely say they've sold around 500K, and there's a fair chance it could be over a million.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The Nature Roy said:

When does it take place?

1) There are (probably) two upcoming sales: Thanksgiving and the Winter Sale. Thanksgiving is roughly around thanksgiving, obviously, and the winter sale is usually roughly around Christmas (I think last year, Christmas was near the middle of the sale and it ran into the new year)

2) Thanksgiving isn't as formalized as the Winter Sale. Last year, a variety of games went on sale along with special bundles of multiple copies of certain games (like, say, 10 copies of Half-life 2 for 10 dollars) with the express intent of you gifting them to your friends.

The Winter Sale is much more formalized. Nearly every single game and piece of DLC goes on sale all at once. Daily deals are also put up, offering even deeper discounts on games. So, at the beginning, a game may only get a 25%-off sale, but at some point during the sale, it may be a daily deal, and it could get discounted as much as 75%. This is why everyone will tell you to wait until the last day of the sale to make any backlog purchases.

It is incredibly likely that Mirror's Edge and the Assassin's Creed games will go on sale for a significant discount. Mirror's Edge has been $5 a number of times in the past, so it should at least be that price, and maybe lower. Assassin's Creed 2 will probably be at least 50%, but might get bundled with another game for an even better discount. It is hard to know for sure.

Just remember: nearly every single thing on the store will go on sale during the Winter Sale and a selection of games will be put up every day that are discounted even further.

morningbus

balladofwindfishes said:
last year we had 3 sales, Thanksgiving was a quick one, then the Steam treasure hunt sale, and then finally the holiday sale

it was nuts

You're right. We had nearly constant sales for over a month and a half.

balladofwindfishes said:
last year we had 3 sales, Thanksgiving was a quick one, then the Steam treasure hunt sale, and then finally the holiday sale

it was nuts
I still have chavelo's post saved from last year declaring:

"Gentleman! It appears that we now have a BETWEEN-THE-HOLIDAY-SALES SALE. Good luck, an may God be with you"

What a crazy time.

Chavelo

Buttonbasher said:
I still have chavelo's post saved from last year declaring:

"Gentleman! It appears that we now have a BETWEEN-THE-HOLIDAY-SALES SALE. Good luck, an may God be with you"

What a crazy time.

rril1d.gif

Oh my god... Somebody... remembered of my posts! UGUUUUU~

Man this Xmas sale is going to be fucking incredible! I spent $150 on my first summer sale and got about 60-70 games if I remember correctly. I can't even imagine this next sexy sale coming up. Don't forget about the Thanksgiving / black Friday sell ;)

Gav47

wilflare said:
strange how many of the PSN exclusives are coming to Steam as well :/
That's because Microsoft makes developers sign exclusivity agreements.

The Indie Royale and new Humble Bundle have brought me dangerously close to owning 200 games on Steam. Of which I've played 96 and of those I've probably only finished 20 or so. I have problem.

FREE Gish Code, quote to see

Davidion

Gav47 said:

The Indie Royale and new Humble Bundle have brought me dangerously close to owning 200 games on Steam. Of which I've played 96 and of those I've probably only finished 20 or so. I have problem.

I used to feel that way when I was approaching 200 too.

Then I hit 300...

Tambini

Gav47 said:

Thanks, snagged it

Gav47 said:

Yes please thank you. :D Edit: Late :(

MRORANGE said:
current players : 173,886 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

this is insane :eek:

oh and L.A. Noire: peak today is 687 :lol

Hehehe. Silly Rockstar. I hope other publishers are taking notice- release your game day and date with any console versions and you'll get good sales; postpone it for months for no good reason and it'll bomb.

Joe Molotov

Sportbilly said:
Hehehe. Silly Rockstar. I hope other publishers are taking notice- release your game day and date with any console versions and you'll get good sales; postpone it for months for no good reason and it'll bomb.

It's still more than Sonic Generations.

Plasma

Banned
MRORANGE said:

Is that a record? I don't think there were even that many people playing TF2 when it went F2P.

Blizzard

Banned
Sportbilly said:
What is your definition of "bomb"?

Today, L.A. Noire is the THIRD top selling game (which is presumably measured in revenue), more than any other game on Steam, only beaten by the brand new Modern Warfare 3 and Skyrim releases, which would be expected to beat most any other game. And L.A. Noire is at $50, not on sale yet.

coopolon

MRORANGE said:

And thinking about it, the vast majority of those sales Bethesda got ~70% of (some are obviously retail copies, but I imagine that is a small minority), way more then they get per console copy. Obviously it's not going to approach console levels of revenue, but I think they are still making a lot of money from PC sales.

Orayn

Just saw a supposed email from Gaben on /v/ saying that we'd start seeing some free copies of Portal 2 and Dota 2 soon because of the hack. Sounds plausible, but I don't really know...

Davidion

Orayn said:
Just saw a supposed email from Gaben on /v/ saying that we'd start seeing some free copies of Portal 2 and Dota 2 soon because of the hack. Sounds plausible, but I don't really know...

I could have sworn I read DotA2 is F2P.

Blizzard said:
What is your definition of "bomb"?

Today, L.A. Noire is the THIRD top selling game (which is presumably measured in revenue), more than any other game on Steam, only beaten by the brand new Modern Warfare 3 and Skyrim releases, which would be expected to beat most any other game. And L.A. Noire is at $50, not on sale yet.

Just a general term for something that hasn't sold many copies. Judging by the concurrent peaks for other games compared to sales figures, I'd be surprised if LA Noire has sold more than 20K copies. Maybe that's enough to pay for the porting costs, but I'd imagine Rockstar were hoping for far more sales.

1-D_FTW

MRORANGE said:

And as somebody speculated earlier, this is why Valve doesn't publish the sales figures for these games.

*looks above*

Wait, what? 175,000 concurrent Skyrim users and climbing? Hmm. Maybe this Steam thing has a future after all.

morningbus

Aww. The E.Y.E deal doesn't extend to the 4-pack. I totally would have picked it up at that price.

Davidion said:
I could have sworn I read DotA2 is F2P.

That hasn't been officially confirmed yet. Everyone wants it to be F2P, and its biggest competition is F2P, but that isn't a confirmation of what Valve is going to do.

The email could be referring to beta keys, too.

Blizzard

Banned
Sportbilly said:
Just a general term for something that hasn't sold many copies. Judging by the concurrent peaks for other games compared to sales figures, I'd be surprised if LA Noire has sold more than 20K copies. Maybe that's enough to pay for the porting costs, but I'd imagine Rockstar were hoping for far more sales.
I know the ingame peak is low, but since it's been near the top of the top sellers list, I just wondered if there was something wrong with the ingame stat tracking. It had been suggested that lots of people were unable to launch the Steam version of L.A. Noire, but as far as I know there's no broad info on that and the Steam forums were still down last I checked.

Orayn said:
That has been going around, but I wouldn't trust it unless a neogaf member actually got the email or something. I know of no proof to it. I would love to actually get a beta key but I rather doubt even that will happen on a broad scale so far.

I haven't ever even received a personal reply from Gabe as far as I know, and I've emailed him a few times over the years. *cries in corner*

amrod

Pre-Load Saints Row: The Third now and be ready to play when it releases!

Plus, all Steam Pre-Purchasers now receive three all-new, Saints Row: The Third inspired items for Team Fortress 2!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Plasma said:
Is that a record? I don't think there were even that many people playing TF2 when it went F2P.

TF2 peaked at 80~90k, IIRC. I wonder if Skyrim will break the 200k mark? I should complete DE: HR tomorrow, so I'll be doing my part!

Edit: I just noticed there are well over 4m concurrent users. Golfham.

Kifimbo

It's pretty easy to understand why L.A. Noire is not selling that well on PC. Many PC gamers have a console, and they already have the game if they were interested in the first place. And PC gamers without a console are either not interested in L.A. Noire for several reasons, or they are interested but the game is low on their list of priorities below Battlefield 3, MW3, Skyrim, etc.

1-D_FTW

Kifimbo said:
It's pretty easy to understand why L.A. Noire is not selling that well on PC. Many PC gamers have a console, and they already have the game if they were interested in the first place. And PC gamers without a console are either not interested in L.A. Noire for several reasons, or they are interested but the game is low on their list of priorities below Battlefield 3, MW3, Skyrim, etc.

I think you missed the part about the game sucking and because they waited 6 months to release it, everyone and their grandmother knows it.

Euphor!a

Banned
Anyone know if you buy Saints Row 3 somewhere like Green Man Gaming and register it on Steam, will you get the pre-order stuff? Or is that purely for Steam purchases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom