• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Vamphuntr said:
I'm about at 75% percent of my usual dl speed. Might depends on the server you are. I'm on the Canada-Toronto one. I guess their servers are hammered hard by people downloading Skyrim.

I wish I was getting 75% of my speeds :( only getting around 220kb/s here instead of my usual 2.5MB/s.

With Skyrim and MW3 no surprise they're getting hammered I guess. Still, I want my F1 2011 download to hurry the frig up!

Vamphuntr

Eusis said:
Abandon AVG and get Microsoft Security Essentials. AVG really isn't the best free option anymore, it's done this with Portal 2 and (somewhat amusingly) Eternity's Child.

Yeah, doing this right now. At least it didn't do that to me with Portal 2.

I had to file a steam support ticket for my nuked eye.exe. Seems like the client is glitched and it can't download the missing .exe at all. It detected the missing file properly when it verified the integrity of the game but the dld is paused forever no matter what I do (reboot comp, restart client, try to force the dld to start).

Hopefully I will get a reply/solution soon.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Looks like that email from Gabe is probably fake:
LW44c.png

Firebrand

Kerrinck said:
Got my key for Saints Row 3 from D2D but when I tried to redeem it, it said the game could not be installed.
Anyone ever had this problem?
When I tried to activate it again, it said the game is already in my library but it is definitely not there.

Edit: Since it is still 6 days away, maybe that is the reason it is not showing up.
When you pre order a game on steam, does it appear at your library right away?
What does your account history say? (Settings, Account history link in top right corner of the window).

Could be a DLC key perhaps? When I bought Brink from D2D they sent me a key that didn't work, I installed their download client (Comrade?) and in there I found a second key that wasn't appearing on the website.

masterkajo

Def Jukie said:
I have a code for Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please! if anyone wants it. First person to quote me gets it.
me?

EDIT: oh... so close. :(

EDIT EDIT: Would also love an SWTOR beta key... just in case.

Doomrider

Damn, that looks really good.

Found a demo (prototype) link in one of the videos I watched. And here's one of those videos. It doesn't look hard or anything. No. Not at all.

Can't wait to do some cleaning =D

And while we're at it, here's the game's intro. Great music and animation.

Askani

Chesskid1 said:
http://www.fileplanet.com/betas/swtor-beta/

any IGN Prime leftovers in here?

get your The Old Republic beta key.

Thanks for the heads up. Just registered on the site and entered a code. Let's see how long this takes. Probably, "Welcome to the closed BETA for Star Wars: The Old Republic! You can begin playing on December 19th! What? You say the game launches on the 20th? We know, now take your free day and shut up!" :lol

Derrick01

Banned
Flunkie said:
Okay, starting at the end of the BF3/Assassin's Creed free IGN thing, what have I missed since then?

Skyrim making the previous concurrent user record for a game look silly, which happened today.

Remy

My update news is saying that the SR3 preload is now available, although I of course cannot actually pre-load my copy. Still, should be available for real shortly.

EDIT: Beaten by about 100 posts. Oh well.

Kabouter

gdt5016 said:
I want to try and go for a cultural victory in Civ 5, what's the best way/general tips to do that?
One of the ways I thought was easiest is:
-Maintain as small an empire as possible
-Play as Siamese leader Ramkhamhaeng (+50% food and culture from city states)
-Become friendly with as many cultural city states as possible

Ionic

This is the first time I've ever seen a strategy guide make the top 20 on Steam. Skyrim is doing some crazy things.

Kerrinck

Firebrand said:
What does your account history say? (Settings, Account history link in top right corner of the window).

Could be a DLC key perhaps? When I bought Brink from D2D they sent me a key that didn't work, I installed their download client (Comrade?) and in there I found a second key that wasn't appearing on the website.

Thanks man, that was exactly the problem!
They had given me only the dlc key.

Whoa at Dustforce, looks kind of like a Sonic game with the shitty homing attack replaced with smooth combo gameplay. Steam definitely needs more great 2D action games around... not only because I love those, I promise :(

gdt5016 said:
I want to try and go for a cultural victory in Civ 5, what's the best way/general tips to do that?
Social policies are important for a cultural victory:
-Start by opening Tradiation
-Then open Liberty
-Next choose Collective Rule (free settler) and find a new city spot (don't expand past 4 cities though, you need to stay small)
-After that you'll want to open up all of the piety tree
-While you're going through the policy trees, try building a wonder in each city. As this will increase a city's culture by 33%. If a smaller city is struggling to build a wonder, use your capital to create the Hagia Sofia and use a free Great Engineer to rush build the wonder in the other city.
-You should be building wonders anyway. Important ones: The Oracle, Hagia Sofia, Sistine Chapel, Louvre. Semi important ones (for cultural): Hanging Gardens, Great Library and Porcelain Tower.
-Every few turns, see if you can sell luxury resources to other civs. When a deal runs out, immediately talk to the civ again and sell. You should get 240g for each luxury (or 200g if they don't like you)
-Hopefully by now, you'll have found some cultural city states, gift them some money, enough to become allies. You'll need to stay allied with them through the game. Keep selling luxuries and gifting the money to city states. Try to keep your happiness above 8 though.
-You need to find as many city states as possible, so have a unit out exploring the map.
-Cultural buildings are your friends, build them before anything else.
-Don't build opera houses though. Instead, wait until you have temples in all of your cities and you've unlocked the Acoustics tech. At this point, choose the Legalism policy to get free opera houses in all your cities.
-Once you have opera houses in all your cities and the archeology tech, build the Hermitage in your capital.
-At some point, you'll need to start growing your capitals population. I'd suggest around the time you're able to open the Freedom policies, put your capital on food focus.
-After you finish unlocking the Piety policies, the next group is Freedom. Finishing off Freedom gives you a huge boost to culture, due to the following...
-Throughout the game, your cultural buildings and wonders will keep giving you free Great Artists. When ever you get one, settle them someone on your capital's borders to create a landmark, giving you six culture. This doubles to twelve with the Freedom finisher! Note: it's best to settle on grassland. Avoid placing landmarks on hills.
-Just keep focusing on the above. 12 culture per landmark + all your wonders + your cultural buildings x hermitage bonus = lots and lots of culture from your capital.
-After Freedom is done, the next polices aren't that important, but I tend to open Patronage, then choose philanthropy.
-After that, finish Liberty, finish Patronage and finish Tradition.
-Build the Utopia Project.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thanks to the kindness of a fellow gaffer (he can come forth it he wants), I got Skyrim.

I had ordered a key from a foreign site with region lock. I've been working on the tech thread just fully immersing myself in the game and have a good grasp on things like I've had the game. I only watched some game play and feel like I know the game but just from sheer reading, I have learned a lot even before getting.

As I said, a great gaffer gifted me the game and I can't appreciate it enough.

wilflare

LiquidMetal14 said:
Thanks to the kindness of a fellow gaffer (he can come forth it he wants), I got Skyrim.

I had ordered a key from a foreign site with region lock. I've been working on the tech thread just fully immersing myself in the game and have a good grasp on things like I've had the game. I only watched some game play and feel like I know the game but just from sheer reading, I have learned a lot even before getting.

As I said, a great gaffer gifted me the game and I can't appreciate it enough.

for free? :O

PaulLFC

Anyone that has E.Y.E - how is it? It looks interesting, but no demo + £7.50 = hmm. May wait until the holiday sale and see if it's cheaper.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I have a key for Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please!, first quote gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom