• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandie

LiquidMetal14 said:
Thanks to the kindness of a fellow gaffer (he can come forth it he wants), I got Skyrim.

I had ordered a key from a foreign site with region lock. I've been working on the tech thread just fully immersing myself in the game and have a good grasp on things like I've had the game. I only watched some game play and feel like I know the game but just from sheer reading, I have learned a lot even before getting.

As I said, a great gaffer gifted me the game and I can't appreciate it enough.

You totally are my bitch now.

nah, have fun :)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
PaulLFC said:
Anyone that has E.Y.E - how is it? It looks interesting, but no demo + £7.50 = hmm. May wait until the holiday sale and see if it's cheaper.

Pretty fucking rough. I enjoyed it well enough solo, feel I'd have a more positive opinion of it had I played it with at least one other person, but none of my friends were interested. It feels very mod-y, especially the latter half of it. I completed it though so I suppose that says something? Has some neat ideas but poor execution, basically. On the other hand it had this SMG that, at least in rapid-fire mode, made me seriously giddy. It'd fire a hundred round clip in less than three seconds, with this extreme drill-like whine and crazy kick to it. At one section I turned a corner and iced about five bad guys who had just spawned with this beast, limbs and blood were all that remained after left-clicking and randomly spraying. I loved that gun, so much.

Amusing. At least I think. Again, very mod-y, rough, and sort of incomplete. I suppose I'd say wait for a cheaper price and for a friend or two, as it's certainly not for everyone. I don't regret it at full price even if I struggle to recommend it. It's just plain weird.

NIN90

Ionic said:
This is the first time I've ever seen a strategy guide make the top 20 on Steam. Skyrim is doing some crazy things.

Wait, is Skyrim's strategy guide on steam? I'd totally buy that but I can't see it.

Askani

Holy crap!!! The strategy guide on Steam is $27 by itself? Really? REALLY?!

$15 is bad enough for a DIGITAL guide when you by the pack, but $27 is just a straight up rip off. I guess it has some functionality with the game...but me give me a break.

Nightz

LiquidMetal14 said:
Thanks to the kindness of a fellow gaffer (he can come forth it he wants), I got Skyrim.

I had ordered a key from a foreign site with region lock. I've been working on the tech thread just fully immersing myself in the game and have a good grasp on things like I've had the game. I only watched some game play and feel like I know the game but just from sheer reading, I have learned a lot even before getting.

As I said, a great gaffer gifted me the game and I can't appreciate it enough.
Wow! Kudos to him. Wish someone would give me Skyrim for free. :(

Blizzard

Banned
NIN90 said:
Wait, is Skyrim's strategy guide on steam? I'd totally buy that but I can't see it.
Yes, it's on the official store page but it's expensive ($27 USD): http://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/

I honestly have no idea whether they're just PDFs or a bundled reader or what.

There's a package discount for the actual game + guide on Steam. Or you could try retail or say, Amazon if you don't mind waiting ($16 USD plus shipping?).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Current Players Peak Today Game

245,950 245,950 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
79,148 79,148 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer
62,545 62,545 Counter-Strike
49,606 50,029 Football Manager 2012
47,479 47,479 Counter-Strike: Source
47,349 47,349 Team Fortress 2
41,278 41,669 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
20,894 20,894 Sid Meier's Civilization V
17,401 17,401 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
10,512 10,932 DC Universe Online

As of like 20 seconds of this post.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Gonna coast past 250k, at least.

I'm keeping a record of Skyrim's highest peak count as I'm interested in seeing what future title will best it. ~250k is unprecedented and an insanely high bar.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
JaseC said:
I'm keeping a record of Skyrim's highest peak count as I'm interested in seeing what future title will best it. ~250k is unprecedented and an insanely high bar.

Dota 2 is the only real challenger.

LiquidMetal14

JaseC said:
And those are all legit buying from retail and DD so it's still pretty impressive just on the PC front. Folks know what's up with this one and at least know to get the best and most future proof version.

Unless there's a way for pirates to log on legit on this, which I doubt.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Archie said:
Dota 2 is the only real challenger.

I suppose I should also discriminate between paid and free-to-play titles, simply for the sake of comparison. Dota 2 will surely be a free-to-play title, and on the paid front I'd guess the most obvious contender to be Half-Life 3.

LiquidMetal14 said:
And those are all legit buying from retail and DD so it's still pretty impressive just on the PC front. Folks know what's up with this one and at least know to get the best and most future proof version.

Makes you wonder what the per-platform split is.

LiquidMetal14

Ionic said:
Wow, Skyrim broke the 250k barrier. Let's see how long it can maintain it.
Current Players Peak Today Game

251,278 251,278 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
79,040 79,166 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer
62,965 62,965 Counter-Strike
50,321 50,321 Football Manager 2012
47,873 47,873 Team Fortress 2
47,821 47,821 Counter-Strike: Source
40,633 41,669 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3
21,007 21,007 Sid Meier's Civilization V
17,321 17,451 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
10,605 10,932 DC Universe Online

Status