• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

Kerrby said:
Shouldn't that Skyrim line be over the top if it's 270,000 and the highest point is 250,000?
Yeah, I realized after I created the graph that the graph hadn't actually updated yet to take into account the latest numbers. Whoops!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Tryckser said:
After these numbers, is there ANY chance Skyrim might be a Christmas deal for 33%-50% off?

Even before these numbers there was zero chance it would be 50% off at Christmas.

If I had to guess, the most we'll see is 25% off. Fallout: New Vegas had a similar release date last year and it got a 25% off for the entire sale and a daily deal sale of 30% off.

Man, L.A. Noire was such a pain in the ass to get running, that's not just the issue oif the game not launching but then trying to log-in to my Rockstar Social Club account I don't recall creating but apparently have. It was such a pain in the ass, these publisher specific online accounts need to die in a fire. The framerate is pretty jarring, everything stutters. I don't know if I want to run fraps and see how bad or inconsistent it is.

Compared to Mafia II (40's-50's era open world), L.A. Noire honestly looks kinda shit.

Card Boy

Banned
BertleTheTurtle said:
Anyone else in Super MNC beta? I know we can't talk about it, I'm just looking for people to play with. They might still be giving out keys if you sign up. I got mine today.

http://www.supermnc.com/beta

Also, I'm not sure if I should bump this thread or not though (because it's not an OT).

thanks

I poured over 30 hours into MNC on Steam but stopped due to people not playing locally in my region.

This one would do much better becauses its A) Free2Play and B) Its got Hats and Items for the TF2 crowd.

Javaman

jediyoshi said:
So they do an event that brings in a larger number of people than normal to play it. After the event is over, less people are playing. Pretty stupid indeed.
You must be looking at a different chart because at no time does the number go above the previous average. It only trends down.

Eusis

morningbus said:
Even before these numbers there was zero chance it would be 50% off at Christmas.

If I had to guess, the most we'll see is 25% off. Fallout: New Vegas had a similar release date last year and it got a 25% off for the entire sale and a daily deal sale of 30% off.
It's part of why I'm waiting on Arkham City instead. It's a clusterfuck as it is, but when there'll be a Black Friday sale that same week (presumably), and if it's not on sale then a Christmas one? Even at 25% it's a bit more practical to wait compared to when it's hot on Zelda's heels.

Serious question, why does Ubisoft keep using their lame Uplay system?

It adds no value and nobody wants it, what's the point of still having it? Custom DRM?

Everything would be better if they just start using Steamworks.

Madrugador said:

It adds no value and nobody wants it, what's the point of still having it? Custom DRM?

The only good thing about it is that you can use your points earned in one game to unlock stuff in another instead of stupid wallpapers etc. I only have ACII though so...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Madrugador said:

Well, I'd prefer if everyone used Steamworks, but that's besides the point.

The Uplay system isn't actually that bad. The always-on DRM system is technically a separate piece of technology, so when you look at what Uplay brings to the table, there are a lot of smart things.

For example, it's the first system that actually gives an advantage to achievement whoring. Achievements have points attached to them, like on the 360, but with those points you can actually buy stuff for the game. And, at least with Splinter Cell Conviction, they're fairly substantial bonuses like additional game modes and weapons.

It's also cross platform, so the system combines your play from PC, Mac, 360, and PS3.

I'd argue it's one of the least offensive systems out there, as it does add value to the games, yet doesn't prevent them from being sold everywhere.

Blizzard

Banned
I think I would rather have free/built-in game modes and weapons rather than having to unlock them through achievements...I guess you could unlock things through Steam achievements (it happpens with TF2) but you would have to implement the point-buying thing yourself.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
So F1 2011 is 50% off, what are the chances it'll be cheaper this holidays? I don't have time to play it right now anyway but the deal is so good I don't wanna sleep on it.

1-D_FTW

morningbus said:
Well, I'd prefer if everyone used Steamworks, but that's besides the point.

The Uplay system isn't actually that bad. The always-on DRM system is technically a separate piece of technology, so when you look at what Uplay brings to the table, there are a lot of smart things.

For example, it's the first system that actually gives an advantage to achievement whoring. Achievements have points attached to them, like on the 360, but with those points you can actually buy stuff for the game. And, at least with Splinter Cell Conviction, they're fairly substantial bonuses like additional game modes and weapons.

It's also cross platform, so the system combines your play from PC, Mac, 360, and PS3.

I'd argue it's one of the least offensive systems out there, as it does add value to the games, yet doesn't prevent them from being sold everywhere.

Same. I don't love it either, but I'd take it over the flaming piece of dog poo that is Origin and Battlelog. I'd honestly consider giving my Origin account to a gaffer if it didn't have Dead Space 2 tied to it (waiting to play till I get the HMZ-T1.)

NaM said:
So F1 2011 is 50% off, what are the chances it'll be cheaper this holidays? I don't have time to play it right now anyway but the deal is so good I don't wanna sleep on it.

There's a decent chance it's 66% off. And the game is broken until they patch it anyways, so Christmas is probably when they'll get around to finally releasing the one and only patch it'll get (they wasted the 1st GFWL patch on correcting errors they knew existed when they went gold).

amdnv

Sportbilly said:
Over 4.5 million on at the moment. I take it that's a new record? Skyrim looks likely to break last night's figure as well.
Taking today into account, in the last two months, Steam's concurrent user peak grew by 12%...

When UserCount
----------------------- -----------
2011-10-23 18:00:00.000 4396366
2011-10-09 17:56:00.000 4297586
2011-10-16 18:08:00.000 4291931
2011-09-18 17:58:00.000 4269403
2011-09-11 18:00:00.000 4202003
2011-09-25 17:58:00.000 4198928
2011-10-02 18:00:00.000 4105956
2011-10-22 17:54:00.000 4069744
2011-10-10 18:29:00.000 4051762
2011-09-05 18:38:00.000 4042865

Nabs

The Ball is 66% off today ($6.80)
header.jpg

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
1-D_FTW said:
There's a decent chance it's 66% off. And the game is broken until they patch it anyways, so Christmas is probably when they'll get around to finally releasing the one and only patch it'll get (they wasted the 1st GFWL patch on correcting errors they knew existed when they went gold).
I guess I just saved 25 bucks, thanks.

Chesskid1

Banned
people are reporting on steamgifts, if you use the code PARADISE for Need for Speed Paradise: The Ultimate Box on Origins Client (UK only) it will give you free a copy.

To those of you who got this you can also try to get fifa manager 12 live season with the MANAGER promo code.

obviously i can' verify it cause i'm not UK. last person to state it working was ~20 min ago.

Baha

The Batman: Arkham City store page is confusing the hell out of me. What I see at first:

IuaJY.jpg

Notice that under Other Requirements it says it uses GFWL but on the right you clearly see Steam Achievements. If you click on view achievements, you'll get an error page and when you try viewing the store page for Arkham City again you see this:

N7FgX.jpg

amdnv

I always thought The Ball looked cool as a puzzler in an atmospheric environment. But it seems you spend a lot of time fighting off monsters and whatnot, so that makes me not even want to try it. I can do that in about three billion other games.

ArjanN

Baha said:
The Batman: Arkham City store page is confusing the hell out of me. What I see at first:

Notice that under Other Requirements it says it uses GFWL but on the right you clearly see Steam Achievements. If you click on view achievements, you'll get an error page and when you try viewing the store page for Arkham City again you see this:

I assume it has both GFWL and steam achievements. And I'm pretty sure you generally can't see the full achievement list page until a game is released on steam.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Always-honest said:
Best arcade racer ever made. Insane amount of fun online.
I wanted to like Burnout Paradise but something was lost from B3. I think it's the lack of tension due to the open world design and pacing. Maybe it's better online.

SapientWolf said:
I wanted to like Burnout Paradise but something was lost from B3. I think it's the lack of tension due to the open world design and pacing. Maybe it's better online.
I understand what you mean. Ofcourse as a singleplayer it's completely different from other Burnout games. But if you can go online with friends, shitload of fun. Not sure how good the game holds up, but it was fun at the time. I also thought the driving controls were very good for dual Nlog controller. I never played it on PC.

1-D_FTW

Chesskid1 said:
one of my friends described "The Ball" as helping to fill the void after you beat Portal 2.

trying demo now i guess.

edit: concept isn't fun.

they still haven't changed the date of arkham city UK.

*prays*

http://store.steampowered.com/app/57400/?cc=uk

If you have a lot of friends, checkout their playtimes. I realize lots of us are collectors, but even among the people who actually load it up (quite a bit for me), almost nobody finishes world 2. The game just saps your will to play.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SapientWolf said:

I enjoyed it just for the free roaming. It was a lot of fun to select the fastest car and just cruise around Paradise City, hitting jumps and crashing into shit. The only events I enjoyed were the Takedowns, since they didn't require you to multitask with the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom