• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I'm missing out not purchasing Skyrim at launch. Picked up both Morrowind and Oblivion but Steam sales spoiled me and I just can't buy a game at launch anymore. :/

VGChampion said:
I feel like I'm missing out not purchasing Skyrim at launch. Picked up both Morrowind and Oblivion but Steam sales spoiled me and I just can't buy a game at launch anymore. :/

This is the exact same situation I am in

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
VGChampion said:

It is a single player game. As long as you don't spoil yourself, I don't think you lose much of anything by waiting with single player games.

VGChampion said:
As far as I'm concerned, Skyrim isn't out for at least another year.

Scythian

Well, what do you know? PC decided to die on me Wednesday, a day before Skyrim's midnight release :/
Now I gotta deal with Steam's slow ass decrypting... I just wanna play D:

Blizzard

Banned
Well Steam didn't make it to 4.5 million today, maybe tomorrow.

If I counted correctly, out of 29 people playing games at the moment on my friends list, 18 of them are Skyrim.

dLMN8R

I posted this in my thread here, but I thought I'd post it here too for anyone who missed it:

I created a graph using Steamgraph, and added some commentary, just to provide some more context for how huge this number is.

2hCtS.png

Amazing.

Just to play devil's advocate here- there is no way that pirated copies could count towards this, right? I would imagine that the Steam hooks are ripped out of cracked games so there's no way they'd figure in the count, it's just that the numbers are so massively out of kilter with even something like COD.

Varna: install them all on the one drive then move them selectively with Steam Mover

Glass Rebel said:
*holding the fort brofist*

fisting-cat.gif

Oblivion was unplayable until the Oblivion XP mod fixed the moronic leveling system, among other things fixed by the community.

angular graphics said:
Next gen begins when jjb says so?

Next gen? That starts when my 580gtx gets here ;)

Javaman

dLMN8R said:
I posted this in my thread here, but I thought I'd post it here too for anyone who missed it:

I created a graph using Steamgraph, and added some commentary, just to provide some more context for how huge this number is.

2hCtS.png

Just look at that Halloween drop off for TF2. When will they learn to stop doing those stupid halloween gift crap.

jediyoshi

Javaman said:
Just look at that Halloween drop off for TF2. When will they learn to stop doing those stupid halloween gift crap.
So they do an event that brings in a larger number of people than normal to play it. After the event is over, less people are playing. Pretty stupid indeed.

New Steam update.

November 12, 2011 - Steam client update released
A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

- Fixed downloading issue with "Vampire: The Masquerade"
- Fixed Steam UI hitching while downloading content
- Faster game conversion to new content system
- Made improvements to resetting account password

This got my attention. Loving the game by the way <3

Card Boy

Banned
How about they fix the downloading issue with Witcher 2 aswell? I have downloaded that game 50gigs worth and have only played for 6 hours. Enabling 'Do not update' doesn't do anything.

commissar

"Do not update" only tells steam not to automatically get the patch.

Next time you run it when online, you'll have to patch.

It is very annoying yes.

Blizzard

Banned
Spl1nter said:
I cant believe civ5 is able to sustain those numbers. The games replay ability and variety is completely horrid.
There's one guy in this thread who beat it on like, every difficulty using a bunch of different win styles, so I guess not everyone feels that way. :p

marrec

Banned
Spl1nter said:
I cant believe civ5 is able to sustain those numbers. The games replay ability and variety is completely horrid.

Er... the game is all about it's replay-ability and variety.

Unless I'm completely missing something while playing it all the time.

GAF HALP.

I had to reinstall windows today. Before I had windows on C drive and Steam/Games on D drive. I just installed windows to what used to be D drive (it is C drive now). All of my steam games are still on the drive and visible. If I reinstall steam will it see the games that are already on the drive or will I need to re-download them?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just make sure you install it in the same folder is currently in, and it should be fine. Steam is pretty portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom