• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flunkie

Banned
I've told it before here, but my Bioshock story is funny and I'm sure a couple of people haven't heard it. I was in Boston about a month before it came out, and one night I was having some drinks with friends. This guy turns up and joins us, and my mate tells me I should really talk to him, so I struck up a conversation.

After a bit of small-talk he says "Man, it's crazy, since we've been here I've seen like three ads on the TV for our game". I inquire about what the game is called and he says "oh Bioshock, have you heard of it?"

I froze. My mate started pissing himself laughing and said "yeah I'd say he probably has". It turns out the guy was Nate Wells, a senior artist at Irrational who has been there forever. What followed was me gushing shamefully and mildly drunkenly about how System Shock 2 was "the GREATEST THING EVER CREATED BY HUMAN HANDS".

He took it rather well all things considered. I decided that I had to build a new PC for Bioshock when I got back to Australia out of respect for a poor artist who had to listen to me raving at him. And so I did.

You skipped that part about what happened after the bar.

The real reason you got new PC.

Sadly it didn't outdo System Shock 2. Bioshock is an important milestone in popular gaming because of how it uses the medium to get its point across, but System Shock 2 is god-tier stuff, pure excellence. I still play it yearly.

Sadly it didn't outdo System Shock 2. Bioshock is an important milestone in popular gaming because of how it uses the medium to get its point across, but System Shock 2 is god-tier stuff, pure excellence. I still play it yearly.

Sadly I have never played the game. Your post made me look up some videos for it, found a walkthrough that has what sounds like an 8 year-old narrating it. Game looks great though.

Sadly I have never played the game. Your post made me look up some videos for it, found a walkthrough that has what sounds like an 8 year-old narrating it. Game looks great though.

Only one other game has made me feel the way System Shock 2 did, and that's Fallout: New Vegas. Keep your fingers crossed that EA one day finally gets it on GOG, because I've seen boxed copies going for a couple of hundred on Amazon, and I can't advise someone to buy a used PC game from 1998 in good conscience :lol

I need to put more time into New Vegas, damn you Batman and Skyrim... Personally I love bioshock, and I can't wait to start bioshock 2, even though i know it pales to bioshock 1.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Only one other game has made me feel the way System Shock 2 did, and that's Fallout: New Vegas. Keep your fingers crossed that EA one day finally gets it on GOG, because I've seen boxed copies going for a couple of hundred on Amazon, and I can't advise someone to buy a used PC game from 1998 in good conscience :lol

If EA could, they would have. Its in licensing hell.

Jaxter09

I need to put more time into New Vegas, damn you Batman and Skyrim... Personally I love bioshock, and I can't wait to start bioshock 2, even though i know it pales to bioshock 1.

It is actually better in terms of gameplay. Story-wise; I have no memory of the plot, if that says anything.

I freaked out because my steam signed out for a second and didn't come back. It then wanted me to sign in. Okay no big deal. Then the oh it looks like this is the first time on this computer go check your email for a code thing.

I don't have access to that email anymore.

To change to the email I do use, I need to have access to the old email.

Luckily, it signed in right back a few seconds later.

Still freaked me the fuck out.

Caerith

I freaked out because my steam signed out for a second and didn't come back. It then wanted me to sign in. Okay no big deal. Then the oh it looks like this is the first time on this computer go check your email for a code thing.

So what happens when you get a new PC someday?

Petrie

Banned

Sounds like this will be a big problem for you someday. I'd get on it.

Yeah tell me about it. AOL is a bunch of asshats and I don't know how to ever get back into that account. I don't need anything out of it other than the steam. So I was going to try and get it changed through steam but I don't know how well that will work with their support. :/

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I had no idea Trine 2 was out tomorrow. Wish there was a two-pack.

I guess I'm busy enough with New Vegas and Skyrim anyway.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah tell me about it. AOL is a bunch of asshats and I don't know how to ever get back into that account. I don't need anything out of it other than the steam. So I was going to try and get it changed through steam but I don't know how well that will work with their support. :/

Just contact Valve now, and get it over with.

"My old Email has been shut down, and I wish to have the main account email changed"

Semblance

Yeah, I liked the first Trine well enough. Give it a try.

Co-op was local only though, unfortunately.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Shouldn't be too hard there should be an option where u can just check u dont have access to said email anymore. At least something like that was there when my cousin went to make a purchase and didn't have access to the email originally on the account.

Just contact Valve now, and get it over with.

"My old Email has been shut down, and I wish to have the main account email changed"

I'll do this tomorrow morning.

Shouldn't be too hard there should be an option where u can just check u dont have access to said email anymore. At least something like that was there when my cousin went to make a purchase and didn't have access to the email originally on the account.

I hope it is this easy.

You guys are making me think I'm just a dumbass thinking that they would just think I was trying to hack into my account.

benjipwns

Banned
what is the game about?
GTAish MMO from a guy behind GTA/Crackdown/Lemmings.

It's supposed to be improved over the original massive bomba of all bombas. But I cannot confirm if the gameplay of the missions has improved over mashing F before you drive through a lifeless city to something else to mash F on.

Smash88

Banned
My pug would like to know as well

I answered before, but I'll answer again.

It is an instanced MMO, 3rd person, of 50 crims and 50 enfs. There are cars, and the missions are objectives where you go on this map, where you defuse, plant, spray walls, clean walls, etc... That's it, sometimes it is huge battles sometimes small, it's random.

I don't know what else I can tell you about this MMO, you have to try it to really understand the feel of it. Otherwise I need more specific questions than, what's it like?

This is coming from someone who has put 223+ hours into APB.

Semblance

Speaking of free to play, I'm surprised Vindictus isn't on Steam still. I mean, hell, it even uses Source.

I answered before, but I'll answer again.

It is an instanced MMO, 3rd person, of 50 crims and 50 enfs. There are cars, and the missions are objectives where you go on this map, where you defuse, plant, spray walls, clean walls, etc... That's it, sometimes it is huge battles sometimes small, it's random.

I don't know what else I can tell you about this MMO, you have to try it to really understand the feel of it. Otherwise I need more specific questions than, what's it like?

This is coming from someone who has put 223+ hours into APB.

Can't be too bad then. Will give it a shot.

Any way to get Orcs Must Die windowed? In demo, I can change full screen resolution but not the fact of it being full screen. Well I won't be able to play full game for a while now as I don't get much bandwidth to play with. Horray for the installation backlog. Long live the installation backlog.

Again a 200+MB patch for Defense Grid.

Do we know what it adds/patches?
There was the community patch which changed the menus (so you can all the modes for a map at once) and added a few new modes to some maps (including the all-new Shredder mode; 50 waves, no interest so basically its like a better version of Grinder). Plus has a demo of the You Monster DLC (I think its the same as the Portal 2 ARG levels). That one was 800MB though...

Hopefully if this one you mention is new it fixes the can't place towers bug I have with the last 2 Borderlands DLC maps (which I think the community patch may have added as reports of the problem only showed up after that).

anyone feel like sending an Orcs must die code to a broke GAFfer?

i shouldve picked this up during the fall sale. didnt relize it plays like the old Tecmo Deception games (i miss them so much).

Kammie

Got Orcs Must Die. Wasn't really interested in the premise but I tried out the demo and it was pretty fun! Great execution for an indie game.

confused

Banned
anyone feel like sending an Orcs must die code to a broke GAFfer?

i shouldve picked this up during the fall sale. didnt relize it plays like the old Tecmo Deception games (i miss them so much).

Add me on Steam as Zaangamer. I'm out the door for a few hours but don't worry, I already bought it for you. Have the DLC covered, too.

Nabs

Don't play ABP solo. I played some last night and I can't lie, it was pretty fun. It might be worth playing for a few days.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Don't play ABP solo. I played some last night and I can't lie, it was pretty fun. It might be worth playing for a few days.

Yeah, definitely have to agree. I can see the game getting a little repetitive (go here, collect thing, go here, drop off thing), but playing with other people makes for some absolutely crazy moments. If you're in a mumble room with your friends, it's the perfect game to just hang out in.

MNC

Hear hear. Bioshock has dome some incredible atmospheric stuff, but goddamn if System Shock doesn't win it all by providing a superb horror experience, not to mention in storyline as well. But I'm hyped a great deal about Bioshock Infinite though. More than about BS2 (To this day I regret purchasing BS2)

Nightz

Ah crap, missed out on Orcs Must Die again. I'm at work now and can't get to Steam. Guess I'm waiting for the winter sale.

Another pay-what-you-want-for-five-PC-games Bundle is coming:

You'll be able to pay you like for a littleBIGbunch bundle of games containing Frozen Synapse, Explodemon, Serious Sam: Double D, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and New Star Soccer 5.

When? 14th December. Where? Get Games. It's a GamesAid charity initiative running through to 2nd January.

Not only can you pay what you like, you can specify who gets the dough. You can give all of the money to GamesAid if you like, or to the developers. Or you can split the money so that some goes to GamesAid and some goes to the developers.

Those developers are Mode 7 Games for Frozen Synapse (9/10 Eurogamer), and Curve Studios for Explodemon (7/10 Eurogamer).
Mommy's Best Games made Serious Sam: Double D (6/10 Eurogamer), and New Star Games made New Star Soccer 5 (Unreviewed).
And Just Add Water is responsible for porting Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee (8/10 Eurogamer, as part of a Steam bundle).

GamesAid collaborates with the video games industry to collect money for various charities aimed at young people and children.

I really hope they will give some Steam Keys, but I know nothing about GetGames.co.uk and the source doesn't say anyting about it. Either way it's a pretty sweet deal, if you ask me!

EDIT: At least Serious Sam Double D requires Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom