• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

^_^x Yashiro

Neo Member
Well, a PS2 or PS3 DualShock would be a pretty good "all in one" solution (PS2 controllers via USB adapters, not sure if PS3 controllers can be used native or not, Google it) but the 360 controller outclasses it in every area that's not dpad and the Saturn pad outclasses it in every area not that's not analog and trigger.

I use my PS3 controller connected via USB and the soft Motionjoy, I play Fallout New Vegas perfectly this way.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I officially need a controller now. Not sure which one though. Time to shop!

I don't see this one get brought up enough and I've been testing it out extensively for the past month or so:

4Z5qY.png

It's PS2 layout, but other than that it is a fantastic controller. D-pad is significantly better than the 360's (I can actually press down-right and have it register as down-right). The weight in my hand is excellent. It's wireless (though the range isn't as good as the 360's, but it comes with a usb extender that makes up for that). It has a mode button that switches the right analog stick with the d-pad, bringing d-pad controls to games that don't natively support it. You can also toggle rumble on the fly with a button press. The rumble is a little weak, all things considered, but I almost prefer it this way.

One of the nicest features, though, is that it is a fully compatible, 360 compliant controller that is also fully compatible with older, X-input games. Games see it as a 360 pad and provide you all the appropriate button prompts. Flip a switch and you have perfect support for older games that don't register the triggers and shoulder buttons of the 360 pad correctly.

Edit: I forgot to mention: while the controller has the PS3 layout, it does not have the shitty L2/R2 buttons of the PS3 pad.

Overall, a really good controller that is cheaper and better than the 360 pad.

Check it here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041RR0TW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was about to purchase all of the Defense Grid DLC when I noticed that it's actually a tad cheaper to buy the bundle.

Edit: I also bought the Bastion soundtrack.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I always mean to do this but can never tell what's a good pad and what's a shitty knock-off.
Well, the run of those controllers is over, so if it's $100, it's an official SLS. If it's $10, it's a shitty knockoff.

Personally, I would go for a slight compromise and get a Madcatz Fightpad for 360. It's completely PC-compatible just like the normal 360 controller and the quality is top notch, ensured by Markman.

Baha

Some interesting info regarding the new steam beta:

- Gifts no longer have a pop up, instead the new mail icon turns green if you have a new gift, inventory or invite
- Gifts can be declined as mentioned earlier BUT once accepted they can either be added to your steam library or steam inventory.

The second point is of great interest for people who use sites like steamgifts.com or randomly give games away. Usually you can check the "manage gifts and guest passes" window to see if gifts have been redeemed but in the beta this doesn't load the window but redirects to the pending gifts page (this page doesn't currently have gift history), so the only other way to confirm that the recipient redeemed the gift is to check their games list via community (impossible to do if their profile is set to private).

JaseC

Odds are about 10 in 4 million, no ?

10 people win every day. Steam has 4 million users online each day.

~4 million concurrent. The amount of unique users accessing Steam each day would be notably higher, no doubt.

Popstar

I already have Bastion (friend gifted it to me awhile back) but was wondering what people think of the soundtrack? Worth getting? I haven't played far enough to hear much of the music.

Exuro

Odds are about 10 in 4 million, no ?

10 people win every day. Steam has 4 million users online each day.
That's 4 million on at once. There's far more users on in a 24 hour period. That doesn't mean that they're all clicking on the link to be signed up for the daily draw though.

JaseC

I already have Bastion (friend gifted it to me awhile back) but was wondering what people think of the soundtrack? Worth getting? I haven't played far enough to hear much of the music.

Likewise, and I've heard nothing but praise.

Yes, the soundtrack to Bastion is so damn good. All it would need to be for me to love it is the actor who does the voice of Rucks talking for an hour about random subjects.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING

It is absolutely worth getting. You can't say no to this. Or this for that matter.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to resist Bastion at $5 (Daily Deal, $4.99, 67% off)
Oh, 67%. I can reist as history has shown it'll be 75% off in some months time (Capsized, Hamilton's Great Adventure
i'm whats wrong with gaming, buying games I never would at 75% off and never playing...nay, installing them

JaseC

It's always at 4 million I really don't think it would be more than half more.

Yes, but not precisely 4 million, hence the tilde. :p Let's say that you're correct and the amount of inconstant users increases the total unique user count for a 24-hour period by around 50% - that's still an additional ~2 million users to consider and most likely a significant increase in contest entries.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Has anyone been getting a lot of random invites to Steam groups lately? I just declined 4 a few minutes ago and another 5 just came up randomly. No one I know is in any of these groups either.

It looks like they're coming from this user: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198053269309 Edit: that user's aliases don't inspire confidence: "autoinvite_1."

Awesome. About to block my first "person" on Steam.

JaseC

Has anyone been getting a lot of random invites to Steam groups lately? I just declined 4 a few minutes ago and another 5 just came up randomly. No one I know is in any of these groups either.

Nope. Foreveralone.jpg

Edit: Haha, the original Community name of that account was autoinvite_1.

Finally, Paypal not allowing me to do an instant transfer has been useful. Really wanted Bastion, but I don't want to spend any more money on games so I guess it's a sign from above.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Oh, 67%. I can reist as history has shown it'll be 75% off in some months time (Capsized, Hamilton's Great Adventure
i'm whats wrong with gaming, buying games I never would at 75% off and never playing...nay, installing them

Same here is it wrong that i'm waiting for 75% off? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom