• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its times like this where I am glad I don't have money or I would double dip on Batman Arkham Asylum. Have it on PS3 but I would love to see what it looks like on PC. I was also hoping that my pc wouldn't run Arkham City but no it will, making what platform to get it on eventually a tough choice for me as well.

Edit: So if I have Arkham Asylum and Lego Batman purchased Arkham City will be 39.99 instead of 49.99?

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Its times like this where I am glad I don't have money or I would double dip on Batman Arkham Asylum. Have it on PS3 but I would love to see what it looks like on PC. I was also hoping that my pc wouldn't run Arkham City but no it will, making what platform to get it on eventually a tough choice for me as well.

Edit: So if I have Arkham Asylum and Lego Batman purchased Arkham City will be 39.99 instead of 49.99?

No, just one of them.

Tambini said:
I was getting between 35-60fps with all settings on max on Arkham Asylum then one corridor sent it into 4fps.

I don't know what happened D:
Yeah, just turn off physx and you'll be fine. I also turned off motion blur (didn't like it) and it was extremely smooth sailing after that.

Tambini said:
GTX 460 and I passed through some smoke fine.

I have the same card, and with PhysX enabled there are places in AA which drop to below 10 FPS. It doesn't happen everywhere there is smoke or particles, but it does happen.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Joe Molotov said:
I still haven't beaten Brotherhood, so I'll probably just wait until 50% off.

Same here, but maybe less than 50%. I played about 15 hours into Brotherhood before I got tired of it. It felt like more of the same, and it didn't help that it was padded with some really dull content. Revelations looks like even more of the same, so I'll probably wait till it's cheap or pass all together. Fuckin Ubisoft, man.

Derrick01

Banned
Tambini said:
GTX 460 and I passed through some smoke fine.

I have a 470 and with physx on the framerate does take a little hit in smokey areas. That's with physx on normal or whatever, on high it would crush my framerate. If it's off though I get constant 60 no matter what.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
It's good that Arkham City finally got 100% confirmed for Steam. I would have easily bought it for $40, but I snagged a code on Ebay for just $10. My roommate expressed interest in buying my PS3 copy off me, so all may be good in the end.

I just hope this runs well on my laptop. I have doubts, but Arkham Asylum ran really well. And AC's graphics don't seem to be that much of an increase, apart from having to render more on the screen when outside.

EDIT: I just noticed that Darksiders II also went up. Damn it looks good. It's listed as Holiday 2012, so maybe it won't be a Wii U launch title, provided the Wii U launches before then.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Day fucking 1 on Revelations for me. AC2/Brohood have been some of the finest experiences I have had in years. I'm a total sucker for period pieces and those games deliver in spades.

Salsa

day $15 sale for me. Still need to buy Brotherhood. Hopefully this christmas. AC1 was complete and ubber crap, AC2 was much better and a good game.

Sober

How are the extra challenge maps in the GOTY version of AA? Tempted to double-dip and get the AC preorder bonus unless they are rubbish.

SalsaShark said:
AC1 was complete and ubber crap, AC2 was much better and a good game.
Just the investigation missions for most. Environments were awesome.

legend166

I'm playing my brothers copy of Arkham City on 360, so I won't get it on PC until it's $15 probably.

But, Lego Batman is tempting me. Especially if I could get it from a UK person. Can anyone recommend it? The only Lego game I've ever played is a demo of the Star Wars one.

bs000

I e-mailed support about my game categories disappearing.

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

I recommend creating a backup "7" folder containing your saved categories. If they should ever be erased, you can replace the new 7 folder with your backup.

C:\program file\Steam\Userdata\<account ID>\7

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
day $15 sale for me. Still need to buy Brotherhood. Hopefully this christmas. AC1 was complete and ubber crap, AC2 was much better and a good game.
Eh, AC1 was worth every penny of the 15$ I spent on it just to explore 3 different cities during the crusades and climb each of the landmarks in them. No other open-world games seem to be able to match AC's scale and detail while allowing you the ability to reach almost any part of it you want to see.

Tomodachi

Tambini said:
Welp thanks guys I'll just turn it off, not that bigger deal.

Weird how it runs excellent on Mirrors Edge though.
I had to turn physx to the lowest setting with a 560 Ti, so I guess you should definitely turn it off altogether with a 460. Physx in Mirror's Edge was much more simpler, in AA is so much heavier even though it's not that big an eye candy when set to the max.

Tomodachi said:
I had to turn physx to the lowest setting with a 560 Ti, so I guess you should definitely turn it off altogether with a 460. Physx in Mirror's Edge was much more simpler, in AA is so much heavier even though it's not that big an eye candy when set to the max.

It's the cape. It's all the cape.

Blizzard

Banned
legend166 said:
I'm playing my brothers copy of Arkham City on 360, so I won't get it on PC until it's $15 probably.

But, Lego Batman is tempting me. Especially if I could get it from a UK person. Can anyone recommend it? The only Lego game I've ever played is a demo of the Star Wars one.
I haven't played many LEGO games, but I get the general impression that LEGO Star Wars (original trilogy), LEGO Harry Potter, and LEGO Clone Wars are the best of the bunch. Stallion Free has played some, maybe he can weigh in.

Blizzard said:
I haven't played many LEGO games, but I get the general impression that LEGO Star Wars (original trilogy), LEGO Harry Potter, and LEGO Clone Wars are the best of the bunch. Stallion Free has played some, maybe he can weigh in.
My son has Lego Batman and Lego Starwars (complete) on ps3 and I can say after playing both with him that I prefer Lego Batman over the other.

Salsa

3chopl0x said:
Not all of us play games at baby resolutions.

lolol

i actually tried it on a 1080p monitor and it was more than playable

but hey! i'll enjoy my Arkham City with Physx on high at silky smooth 60fps on my baby-can-barely-tell-the-difference resolution! :p

Is anyone interested in the DNF DLC? I have a steam code available. I am pretty sure most people who wanted it got one from the first access club already. If not PM me.

Sysgen

Tambini said:
I was getting between 35-60fps with all settings on max on Arkham Asylum then one corridor sent it into 4fps.

I don't know what happened D:

Blizzard said:
Yep, ATI card and you ran into some fancy smoke, I bet.

I had this and tracked it to some Asus utility (GamerOSD) Completely uninstalled that (along with Smart Doctor) and everything was puuuuurfect.

AMD 6970.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
jim-jam bongs said:
I have an 8800GTX Ultra sitting around which I'm tempted to put in as a dedicated PhysX card, I bet it runs great then!
Can you do that with any card, doesn't have to really be SLI (as in, same model)?

I have an old 8800GTX. Can I just plug it in (I have a 570GTX on the system), not hook any cables up and make it a dedicated PhysX card through nvidias driver? That would be baller. I really doubt my 600watts PSU could handle it though...

Salsa

drizzle said:
Can you do that with any card, doesn't have to really be SLI (as in, same model)?

Can I just plug it in (I have another nvidia card), not hook any cables up and make it a dedicated PhysX card through nvidias driver? That would be baller.

yes

drizzle said:

I have an old 8800GTX. Can I just plug it in (I have a 570GTX on the system), not hook any cables up and make it a dedicated PhysX card through nvidias driver? That would be baller. I really doubt my 600watts PSU could handle it though...

Yeah there are a couple of GAF-ers who do it and say it's awesome, my only major concern is heat and noise since I have a fairly basic case. It does have a 1200w PSU tho, I had a feeling I was going to stick some hungry stuff in there.

Sanjay

Stallion Free said:
The physx additions in Batman really stick out like a sore thumb most of the time. I'd take high levels of anti-aliasing over it any day.

It's more like having special affects on ultra then high. Any one would take good AA over more special effects.

TouchMyBox said:
I dunno man, that fog is pretty slick.
Totally. I benchmarked Batman AA with physx on with my Radeon 5770. The framerate dropped to single digits during the smoke and the library area, but it looked so nifty! The paper was actually separate pieces floating around instead of just a texture and they actually interacted with objects instead of going through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom