• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TimmiT said:
Wait, Batman: Arkham City now uses Steamworks? So it no longer is going to use Games for Windows Live?

Apparently. It could be something like The Witcher 2 where buying on Steam and it's Steamworks but anywhere else and it's not. So it can't be registered if buying from another site, but that's just speculation.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
TimmiT said:
Wait, Batman: Arkham City now uses Steamworks? So it no longer is going to use Games for Windows Live?

For the time being, it looks like the version on Steam uses Steamworks. We don't know if this carries over to boxed retail copies or ones bought through other websites.

morningbus

shintoki said:
"3rd-party DRM: SecuROM"

Still GFWL

2 things:

1) Could be a typo.

2) Even if it does, there are some Steamworks games that have additional DRM.

morningbus said:
Do you also own Arkham Asylum?
Yes, got it during the Summer Sale. Even though I finished the PS3 version before, the significantly better-looking PC version still snagged me at $7.50. Got most of the story mode cheezemints in the PC game too. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dipswitch said:
FWIW, I don't have AA on Steam and pre-purchase price for me is $49.99.

You're probably not logged in then.

One thing which confuses people is that Steamworks is actually:

- DRM
- Leaderboards
- Cloud saves
- Achievements
- Multiplayer
- Updates

And so on and so on. Developers don't have to use all of it to use some of it, if you catch my drift.

grendelrt

Yeah new steam advertisement says you have to own either lego batman or AA on steam to get the discount. I own it, but not on steam....

Arkham City for $40? OK!

Hmm... glad I bought it when I did. Suddenly not seeing the page anymore in Steam's search, and the link posted in this thread doesn't seem to have the preorder button anymore. Maybe they're just working on it.

garath

Arkham City for $40 is absolutely splendid.

Too bad it comes out immediately after Skyrim. I'm not going to buy any games around Skyirm. I only have limited time to play and I can easily spend the rest of Nov and possibly Dec playing Skyrim.

If Arkham City was due out this week perhaps, I'd buy the hell out of it and play it until Skyrim was released.

Dipswitch

Zefah said:
You're probably not logged in then.

I see the same result when logged into the client and website. Looks like it's linked to AA or Lego Batman on Steam. Good incentive to buy more games from Steam I guess.

If it's only discounted for people who own AA, seems like a massive missed opportunity to state that clearly on the store page and get some free AA sales.

morningbus said:
HOLY SHIT STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS.

AND STEAM CLOUD SUPPORT.

STILL USING SECUROM BUT HOLY SHIT THOSE STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS ARE NOT A TYPO.

I still haven't got around to playing the first one but ... bought! $39.99 was the tipping point.

morningbus

Yeah, there was a Steam registry entry that referenced the three games, Arkham Asylum, Lego Batman, and Arkham City. We assumed it would be a pre-order bundle incentive.

Turns out it was an entry to get a discount on Arkham City.

Makes me wonder though: Sonic Generations had similar entries. Will they give pre-order bonuses or a discount, like with Arkham City?

Sober

jim-jam bongs said:
If it's only discounted for people who own AA, seems like a massive missed opportunity to state that clearly on the store page and get some free AA sales.
Either AA or Lego Batman... I'm tempted to cancel my preorder, grab the pack and get AC too, even though I just 100% my PC copy of AA last week.

LastWindow said:
Now if they'd only add Batman's mask as an all-class item in TF2.

From a distance that would look way too much like a gimp mask imo.

Sober said:
Either AA or Lego Batman... I'm tempted to cancel my preorder, grab the pack and get AC too, even though I just 100% my PC copy of AA last week.

do eeeeeeeeet

Think of it as you congratulating Rocksteady and WB for their choice.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Exuro said:
It also lists GFWL as a requirement. AC does not. I think all new gfwl games get GFWL listed in the drm as well.

Other requirements "Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows – Live"

Either I seem to be looking at a completely different page or someone here is high.

Exuro

shintoki said:

Other requirements "Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows – Live"

Either I seem to be looking at a completely different page or someone here is high.
That wasn't there for the original listing. It was barely added a few minutes ago.

Salsa

shintoki said:

as i said in the other thread that has to be talking about DLC or something. Or maybe it uses both systems, all i care about is my saves working with the steam cloud (even if it means as well as GFWL) so i dont fucking lose them.

So happy.

My guess is that the multiplayer just uses GFWL for matchmaking. Also, wasn't the MP portion made by a separate studio?

Edit: wait what the fuck the game doesn't have multiplayer. SHINTOKI!

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
x0boa.jpg

masterkajo

Just found out that Batman Arkam Asylum GOTY is now 9,99.- instead of 19,99.- with Lego Batman. Awesome!!

Also, EU store and B:AC hasn't shown up in steam yet for me.

Derrick01

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
My guess is that the multiplayer just uses GFWL for matchmaking. Also, wasn't the MP portion made by a separate studio?

Edit: wait what the fuck the game doesn't have multiplayer. SHINTOKI!

You had me completely confused for a second lol

Salsa

also apparently WB knows where Uruguay is and im not getting the EUR release for once. November 15 here.

Thank you based bugs bunny

drizzle

Axel Hertz
SalsaShark said:
man so in the end me getting my code for 32 bucks wasnt that big a deal, awesome to see such a good price.
It says 50 bucks for me, and it doesn't show up on my Steam app (only the page).

Probably not available yet on my region.

Edit: Still, the NVidia key I got 23 bucks is pretty awesome.. :D

masterkajo

SalsaShark said:
also apparently WB knows where Uruguay is and im not getting the EUR release for once. November 15 here.

Thank you based bugs bunny
Also gettin 15th November here in Europe in my Browser. But it won't show up in steam yet. Also since I don't B:AA on steam, theoretically would it be possible for someone in the US to gift it to me if he owns B:AA for the cheaper price?

EDIT: Also, will the PC version on steam have all the DLC? Catwoman? Robin? etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom