• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DualShadow said:
Always wondered if anybody actually bothered to change the day/month section.
I do. I'm not even that anal, but something rubs me the wrong way about entering an age that's not my own. It's almost like I think Gabe will know I'm lying to him.

3chopl0x said:
Ok you can live your life believing that crap

Which? The interfering with other stuff? The special tools to remove? I invite you to break down the inaccuracies with factual support.

Problems with SecuROM are well-documented. It's no TAGES but that is hardly a standard anyone should be proud to hold themselves to. A person who actually "hated" DRM would, presumably, actually have some support for the idea that people should have some control over what's installed onto their own systems.

charlequin said:
Which? The interfering with other stuff? The special tools to remove? I invite you to break down the inaccuracies with factual support.

Problems with SecuROM are well-documented. It's no TAGES but that is hardly a standard anyone should be proud to hold themselves to. A person who actually "hated" DRM would, presumably, actually have some support for the idea that people should have some control over what's installed onto their own systems.
How do you know if you have securom? is there way way to check?

Echoplx

charlequin said:

You're original statement was this:
SecuROM bullshit clogging up my nice pristine Steam list slash PC
I replied saying that SecROM does not 'clog' your PC

How about you give me some factual support for your claim that it effects PC performance in any way.

3chopl0x said:
You're original statement was this:

I replied saying that SecROM does not 'clog' your PC

How about you give me some factual support for your claim that it effects PC performance in any way.

Are you medically impaired in some fashion that legitimately excuses how much you suck at reading?

Gravijah

jim jam i found you a new avatar

sis-alphaprotocolidx3.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
nincompoop said:
So I bought Alice but apparently the Steam version uses a different config file with different setting names than the one for which the previous config fixes were posted, so I'm not sure which settings I need to change other than the resolution and max framerate ones, any tips? This is what my config looks like right now (I already changed the resolution and max framerate):

You need to edit the My Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config\AliceEngine.ini, not DefaultEngine.ini in the steamapps folder. :)

The game runs so much nicer at 60fps, thanks for linking to that post with the tips. I did everything there and so far so good! It even is co-operating with physX on High for now on my AMD card, I get to crumple papers I walk on and objects all fly around me at 60fps, but I'm sure that will change as soon as I get to the destructible floors and exploding enemies and the sort. Loving the style of the game, as I expected from the screens.

Echoplx

charlequin said:
Are you medically impaired in some fashion that legitimately excuses how much you suck at reading?

Nope.

Unless your idea of factual support is 'Problems with SecuROM are well-documented'

You seem to be branching this argument off in all other directions when all i was aguing was that it does not effect the performance of your PC.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The last patch I got for my 6850 was ATI's Battlefield 3 beta patch. Have there been any new releases since?

The reason I ask is because my performance in games lately has taken a hit it seems. Call of Pripyat, for instance, has started stuttering really badly... much worse than even a week ago.

Help!

Blizzard

Banned
Ah, yeah definitely do not modify .ini files in the Steam folder for UE3 games. They should create a .ini file in a user/documents folder somewhere. Mirror's Edge wouldn't even start if you modified those Steam folder .ini files (unless you hex-edited the EXE).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Minsc said:
The game runs so much nicer at 60fps, thanks for linking to that post with the tips. I did everything there and so far so good! It even is co-operating with physX on High for now on my AMD card, I get to crumple papers I walk on and objects all fly around me at 60fps, but I'm sure that will change as soon as I get to the destructible floors and exploding enemies and the sort. Loving the style of the game, as I expected from the screens.

Just wait for the pepper grinder. It makes my Nvidia card weep.

3chopl0x said:
You seem to be branching this argument off in all other directions when all i was aguing was that it does not effect the performance of your PC.

And all I was doing was saying "I don't want that crap on my PC," and you gave me a bunch of weird hostile bullshit. So seriously: what's your problem?

The pepper-grinder is a framerate killer but Alice looks pretty freaking cool when she's using it.

Gravijah said:
jim jam i found you a new avatar

Funny story, abload.de never loads on my home internet connection so I had to SSH into a server in the US, download the file to it and then SFTP it to my laptop, all just to see that. Worth it imo.

Derrick01

Banned
Put about an hour into Alice and I have to be honest I was kind of bored. Platformers don't typically hold my interest for long anyway as there's not much to them and I'm finding this to be the same case. Had to turn Physx to low too because it was killing my framerate for not a lot of benefit. Looks kind of nice anyway.

TheExodu5

Banned
God damn PhysX in Alice is super nice. Shame about the Pepper Grinder, though. Thankfully SLI GTX 570 mostly manages to keep it at 60fps. I still get a tiny bit of an annoying stutter, even though FRAPS reads 60fps. It's not too bad, but still a tiny bit annoying.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Euphor!a said:
So what are the cheapest regions to get the GTA Pack and the Commandos Pack?

not sure about commandos but UK has the cheapest GTA pack at $7.87.
also *is patiently waiting for Uk gaffer to help out* plz.

Salsa

TheExodu5 said:
God damn PhysX in Alice is super nice. Shame about the Pepper Grinder, though. Thankfully SLI GTX 570 mostly manages to keep it at 60fps. I still get a tiny bit of an annoying stutter, even though FRAPS reads 60fps. It's not too bad, but still a tiny bit annoying.

what's the issue with the pepper grinder?

Euphor!a

Banned
Nelo Ice said:
not sure about commandos but UK has the cheapest GTA pack at $7.87.
also *is patiently waiting for Uk gaffer to help out* plz.

Yeah it is a steal at $7.87. I would also really appreciate if someone would be kind enough to gift it to me from the UK, I'll pay through PayPal.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
So am I crazy or is the original Alice not available anywhere via digital distribution? It's not on Origin even though they offered it for free back in June with Alice 2. Pretty lame.

Derrick01

Banned
Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Buy Alice if you care too much about graphics and art design. Gameplay wise its very mediocre and boring. Also it has bad pacing. Each level could be trimmed a lot.

I wish I knew that beforehand lol. Eh I blame myself for not remembering that Gaf has such a hard on for platformers for some reason. Oh well maybe it'll get more interesting.

Blizzard

Banned
Dupy said:
So am I crazy or is the original Alice not available anywhere via digital distribution? It's not on Origin even though they offered it for free back in June with Alice 2. Pretty lame.
Apparently. People were complaining about it earlier in the thread. It's bad enough with stuff like Neverhood or Grim Fandango not being available digitally, but this was obviously OFFERED on Origin, and they just removed it for whatever reason.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Blizzard said:
Apparently. People were complaining about it earlier in the thread. It's bad enough with stuff like Neverhood or Grim Fandango not being available digitally, but this was obviously OFFERED on Origin, and they just removed it for whatever reason.

So bad. It's like they don't want my money:/

Salsa

Blizzard said:

EA-Logo.jpg

Madrugador said:
Great deal, but for some reason the original GTA and GTA2 don't appear in the pack here in South America.

Hope it still includes the games.

Ok South American gaffers, according to some guy in another forum we still get GTA/GTA2 when we purchase the GTA Complete Pack.

I will confirm this on saturday. I have a lot of study ahead so I'm not buying it yet :lol

Derrick01

Banned
Blizzard said:

Crazy talk. EA would never randomly remove stuff from their store with no warning...

Nelo Ice

Banned
Kinda OT but I just got a coupon for 60% off select games on origin using the client and instead of applying to just my order, it applied to everything on the store except preorders.

So I can get Alice for $12 and bulletstorm for $8 among other things.

edit:its a universal code origin60.
edit2:applys nearly everything just noticed it didnt apply to some sims 3 stuff.

Mrbob

Nelo Ice said:
Kinda OT but I just got a coupon for 60% off select games on origin using the client and instead of applying to just my order, it applied to everything on the store except preorders.

So I can get Alice for $12 and bulletstorm for $8 among other things.

edit:its a universal code origin60.
edit2:applys nearly everything just noticed it didnt apply to some sims 3 stuff.

Doesn't on Fifa 12 though. :( Might buy Darkspore for 8 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom