• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlhungis

Neo Member
1-D_FTW said:
Looked in my history. Bought Tropico 3 Gold for 4.99.

You can always go cheaper on Steam. Do you want to play it today is the question.

Looks like I will wait on a sale. I tried the demo today and I liked it. That should tide me over until I can get the sale price.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
goodfella said:
Refer to tread title?

Such tropes do not apply when you're referring to the most misunderstood and under-appreciated title of the year, that also happens to be the one game
(excluding Rage's brilliance as an FPS)
capable enough to stand next to that Valve game as the best of 2011.

I am serious, by the way.

Spl1nter

PaulLFC said:
So GAF, what's everyone's most regretted Steam purchase(s)?

Ive been really good with only buying games I want to play during the steam sales or weekend/week sales. Still have a backlog but they are all games I will eventually play Only purchase I am really regretting is Hitman: Blood Money. Not a strong pc port and very dated, but only cost a few dollars so no real regrets.

I can understand someone disliking Empire:Total War. Those games are all about the AI and the AI is complete shit in that game. Also the fact it takes minutes for a turn to pass on even a super computer.

I have the similar issues with CIV 5. The diplomacy in the game is so bad/simplistic its basically unplayable. I guess I regret that purchase as well since it was for full price at release.

MRORANGE

There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings. On the Account tab press the Change... button to open the Beta Participation dialog. Then Select Beta Update, and allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:

10/21/2011

- Display your recently uploaded workshop files in TF2’s game details page
- Added framework for Steam Support to send messages directly to users
- Changed ‘Add Friend’ button in the friends list to point to a much-improved interface for searching for friends
- Fixed missing Game Explorer entries

about time!

PaulLFC said:

Let's see...

Brink - Admittedly, I got it from the Quakecon pack but this stands out. Hunted is just generic mediocre garbage and Rogue Warrior is the kind of shit you forget you even took earlier that day. Not Brink though. Brink oozes potential but misses it in every respect. As a mostly SP gamer it makes me angry when I play the campaign with its interesting backdrop and story but shallow "mission design". Just what the fuck were they thinking.

Borderlands - Fuck this game. Fuck its console interface. Fuck its unscrollable menus. Fuck its lame enemies. Fuck its 99.9999% of useless weapons. Fuck its godawful gunplay. Fuck it to hell and back.

Red Faction: Guerilla - The missions really aren't that much fun. I have a better time just taking down buildings but even that has limited appeal. Just a boring game IMO.

Civilization V - Don't get me wrong, as my first Civ I really liked it but I only played 3-4 times even though I've bought it at launch (33% off though). I feel that I'd enjoy it but I can never get motivated enough to play it. One day though...

Nation Red - Never played a worse twin-stick/zombie shooter. Nuff said.

Greed Corp - I hate it when games like this try (and in my case succeed) with fancy graphics when they'd make more fun drawn on a letter.

The cake though takes Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. 25gb of uncondensed shit. I thought well, I like Star Wars and this looks kinda like God of War so I might enjoy it. BZZZT. Wrong. Even if there's an underlying good game it's a shit port. Collision detection is so horrible I stopped playing after wasting 8 hours of my life on this mess. And I really tried, I wanted to like it. I even hooked up some shitty controller I had at the time to finish a sequence which I think is practically impossible with a mouse and keyboard. Gave me herpes.

There's also lots of stuff I haven't even played or downloaded (Overlord, Tomb Raider etc.) and stuff that I mistakenly thought would run decently on my rig (RAGE, Hot Pursuit, Bad Company 2) so I won't comment on those.

Sober

With the few on that list, I agree with Nation Red mostly and RF:G, they get boring fast if anything. Borderlands I at least warmed up to by the end.

Glass Rebel said:
Let's see...

Borderlands - Fuck this game. Fuck its console interface. Fuck its unscrollable menus. Fuck its lame enemies. Fuck its 99.9999% of useless weapons. Fuck its godawful gunplay. Fuck it to hell and back.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. YES.

JaseC

Volition wasted the doors opened to them when expanding Red Faction from a mediocre FPS to an open-world TPS. It's as though setting the game on Mars afforded the developer an excuse to make the world feel dull and repetitive. Frankly, I don't understand the praise - the entire game is criminally uninspired. GTAIV is jumped on for being nothing more than GTA3 with better visuals (with as many improvements as it has faults), but RF:G is somehow a bastion of open-world gaming.

Okay I am getting some lag/stuttering in games now. I have 4gb of ram, 9800GT 1gb and when I was running vista 32-bit i had no issues. Clean install of Win 7 64-bit and I get stuttering. The issue is really bad with Alpha Protocol (almost unplayable when it happens) and The Witcher, but it happens in all my games. Any thoughts?

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Okay I am getting some lag/stuttering in games now. I have 4gb of ram, 9800GT 1gb and when I was running vista 32-bit i had no issues. Clean install of Win 7 64-bit and I get stuttering. The issue is really bad with Alpha Protocol (almost unplayable when it happens) and The Witcher, but it happens in all my games. Any thoughts?
Clean install might mean that Windows is indexing your drives at the moment, it will get better once it's done.

nexen

JaseC said:
Volition wasted the doors opened to them when expanding Red Faction from a mediocre FPS to an open-world TPS. It's as though setting the game on Mars afforded the developer an excuse to make the world feel dull and repetitive. Frankly, I don't understand the praise - the entire game is criminally uninspired.
It has fantastic destruction and its art style is an updated form of Total Recall's. I double dipped and played it through both times. Achievements helped though.

edit: vehicles have a good feel too and I love the turret missions.

JaseC

nexen said:
It has fantastic destruction and its art style is an updated form of Total Recall's. I double dipped and played it through both times. Achievements helped though.

I understand the appreciation for the destruction, but any homage to Total Recall is largely a result of generic sci-fi. I love the classic era of Arnie films, and at no point did I feel that RF:G nodded in any such direction.

jim-jam bongs said:
Clean install might mean that Windows is indexing your drives at the moment, it will get better once it's done.
Could be. Although the clean install of windows was done on Wednesday, I would hope it wouldn't take 3-4 days to get that done. I am going to turn off the search indexer and see if that helps.

Edit: I did have a similar issue on Vista and found out my ram was bad and having issues dumping it's cache. Replaced that before upgrading to Win 7 and had no issues. So my ram is brand new as well.

nexen

JaseC said:
I understand the appreciation for the destruction, but any homage to Total Recall is largely a result of generic sci-fi. I love the classic era of Arnie films, and at no point did I feel that RF:G nodded in any such direction.
See, I felt like I was running around in the Total Recall universe myself. *shrug*

edit: actually the more I think about it, the less I agree with calling RF:G's art style generic sci-fi. The civilian vehicles and their bubble shapes stand out. The buildings and weapons, yeah.

JaseC

nexen said:
See, I felt like I was running around in the Total Recall universe myself. *shrug*

That's fair. I wasn't trying to convince you otherwise, just weighing my own two cents. :)

nexen said:
edit: actually the more I think about it, the less I agree with calling RF:G's art style generic sci-fi. The civilian vehicles and their bubble shapes stand out. The buildings and weapons, yeah.

Perhaps "generic" is unnecessarily harsh; after all, it would be unfair to assume that Volition went into the game with the laziest of intentions. In general, I feel that the visual style on offer didn't offer a world of defined oppressiveness or interest.

nexen said:
It's all good. Thats what this board is for, after all :)

_b (If memories of my IRC years are correct, that's a thumbs up.)

vertopci

Sanjay said:
Ha now all I need is a name, already have your DOB, age, and location! only a matter of time till I unlock your steam account to view your games played usage.

Paypal me a couple thousand USD and I'll give you his name.

goodfella

Sportbilly said:
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. YES.

'Hey, Borderlands has always looked kinda cool, and that's a great price on sale. Oh what's that, a patch coming out!? Great, now even if I don't like some of the pc specific flaws mentioned, I can just wait for the patch!'

*starts game.*
*quits game.*
*waits for patch.*
*starts game.*
*quits game.*

'Fucking Borderlands...'

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'll trade a baker's dozen Frozen Synapse keys and a Sequence key for this cache of Nabs' personal info.

Echoplx

Gez said:
+1

The fanboys that defend it on the Steam forums are blind and possessed.

You really need to get over yourself, the fact that you don't like it doesn't make it shit.

You complain about those 'fanboys' but you go out of your way to shit on the game in any thread you can.

Not like you payed for it anyway.

Card Boy

Banned
3chopl0x said:
You really need to get over yourself, the fact that you don't like it doesn't make it shit.

You complain about those 'fanboys' but you go out of your way to shit on the game in any thread you can.

Not like you payed for it anyway.

I'm not the one that looks like a fool here. I posted 2 comments in the RO2 thread (haven't posted anything else negative) on how disapointing the game is and the comment you quoted here.

Whats your problem man, its just a game. First you attack Charlequin with your BS posts and now this.

Echoplx

From the Sequence OT:
Gez said:
Relax theres no need, things like this happen, i'm sure you guys will have it fixed soon. It's not like you guys are like Tripwire or Square Enix still patching your game months and months well after release.
If you don't like the game, that's fine. But that doesn't make it shit.

Joe Molotov

graywolf323 said:
Raven Squad/Section 8 pre-purchase bundle...

Ouch, yeah me too. I think it was like $68 or somewhere in that vicinity, and Section 8 was meh and Raven Squad was just godawful, and both games dropped like a rock in price (and in Raven Squad's case, dropped completely off of Steam).

Card Boy

Banned
3chopl0x said:
From the Sequence OT:

If you don't like the game, that's fine. But that doesn't make it shit.

I was talking about all Tripwires games (KF, The Ball, RO1, RO2)

If you got an issue take it to a PM, i value my gaf account and i dont want to get banned over petty internet squabbles.

JaseC

On the vague subject of Tripwire, they have to be commended for their commitment to the bit of Portal 2's release ARG. By far, The Ball had the best content.

Scythian

I somewhat regret buying Two Worlds II. The game itself is decent, but it just feels kind of sluggish and un-polished.
I also regret buying Counter Strike: Source. I rarely play it anymore, it does nothing to keep me interested.

Derrick01

Banned
PaulLFC said:

Not to be prisoner of the moment but if I'm considering the price I paid for the game compared to how much I'm disliking it then Alice is probably topping the chart.

I spent $15 on a game where I've done pretty much nothing but run, jump and occasionally hit something with a basic x/y combat system. It's also extremely long as I'm only on chapter 2 about 4-5 hours in.

edit: Oh yeah two worlds 2 was awful too but I received that as a free gift so I don't count it.

Rufus

JaseC said:
On the vague subject of Tripwire, they have to be commended for their commitment to the bit of Portal 2's release ARG. By far, The Ball had the best content.
I thought they only published The Ball.

JaseC

Rufus said:
I thought they only published The Ball.

Either or, the point stands.

Edit: You're right, Teotl developed the game. Thanks to those folks for their hand in making the opening acts of the ARG awesome. :)

PaulLFC said:
Nothing.

But if I'd have to choose one, it'd probably be Singularity. Some nice art direction and cool weapons but... it just wasn't anything special, and the annoying balancing and placing of ammo was just frustrating.

And hey, I've got like 60 games that could potentially be absolutely horrible...

JaseC

I enjoyed Singularity. It's the bastard child of BioShock and Call of Duty. And I loathe Call of Duty.

Marsipolami said:
Nothing.

But if I'd have to choose one, it'd probably be Singularity. Some nice art direction and cool weapons but... it just wasn't anything special, and the annoying balancing and placing of ammo was just frustrating.

And hey, I've got like 60 games that could potentially be absolutely horrible...

Makes me sad to hear this. I really liked it despite its flaws because at least gameplay-wise it tried (successfully) to stand out in a sea of samey shooters.

JaseC said:
I enjoyed Singularity. It's the bastard child of BioShock and Call of Duty. And I loathe Call of Duty.

:( --> :)

I don't hate CoD though.

Gvaz

Banned
JaseC said:
It's more like HL2 and Bioshock, and both are better than singularity. Call of Duty is right down there with my morning shits.

JaseC

Gvaz said:
It's more like HL2 and Bioshock, and both are better than singularity. Call of Duty is right down there with my morning shits.

The game lacks the finesse of Half-Life.

Glass Rebel said:
:( --> :)

I don't hate CoD though.

The SP campaigns were once guilty pleasures, but now they're just grating. As far as MP is concerned, well, I rarely play online and when I do it's Counter-Strike.

Echoplx

Derrick01 said:
Not to be prisoner of the moment but if I'm considering the price I paid for the game compared to how much I'm disliking it then Alice is probably topping the chart.

I spent $15 on a game where I've done pretty much nothing but run, jump and occasionally hit something with a basic x/y combat system. It's also extremely long as I'm only on chapter 2 about 4-5 hours in.

edit: Oh yeah two worlds 2 was awful too but I received that as a free gift so I don't count it.

Not really sure what you were expecting from a platformer :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom