• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
JaseC said:
The SP campaigns were once guilty pleasures, but now they're just grating. As far as MP is concerned, well, I rarely play online and when I do it's Counter-Strike.

Nothing wrong with that. I don't touch MP either but I genuinely enjoy the SP. I actually don't own a single CoD but always play them at a friends place (Uncharted and Halo too) just to have experienced the ride because it's mostly stupid fun the first time. They'd definitely make my list of regrets if I had bought them at launch.

Dambrosi

Banned
PaulLFC said:
So GAF, what's everyone's most regretted Steam purchase(s)?

Mine has to be Virtua Tennis 4. I bought it when it was 50% off in the Sega sale a few weeks ago, despite the fact that I had a huge backlog, the game would probably have been even cheaper in the holiday sale, and I've played it for a total of about 10 minutes since buying it. I also found out about all the GFWL/Save data issues after I'd already bought it.
Virtua Tennis 4 is a good game, though. You can still battle through the save issues and enjoy an excellent tennis game.

You can't say that about my one Steam regret, Eternity's Child. It was less than 80p during the Summer Sale, and I think I still got robbed. Totally unplayable shite.

What you've got, Paul, is "Backlog Regret". I'll never have that. What I have is "Shitty Emo Poser Game Regret". Seriously, I wish I could hate that game's creators to DEATH.

Remy

Regrets? I've got a few.

Blue Toad Murder Files just felt torturous with the interface and the writing and ugh. I like the Buzz games so this was a bit of a letdown.

Puzzle Quest: Galatrix was an unbalanced, horribly frustrating piece of shit.

RAGE still isn't working properly for me, so id and Bethesda have lost any benefit of the doubt from me.

elektrixx

Banned
Remy said:
Regrets? I've got a few.

RAGE still isn't working properly for me, so id and Bethesda have lost any benefit of the doubt from me.

Exactly the same for me. When it was busted at launch I mined my backlog and played Gran Turismo 5 instead. Now I don't think I'll ever play RAGE. I'm just so uninterested in that game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JaseC said:
I enjoyed Singularity. It's the bastard child of BioShock and Call of Duty. And I loathe Call of Duty.
I would describe it more as Bioshock, but with good gunplay.

Singularity is so underrated it's ridiculous. It was easily one of the best FPS campaigns released in recent years.

PaulLFC said:
So GAF, what's everyone's most regretted Steam purchase(s)?

So far mine is some games I bought during the Summer sale trying to get more tickets. I bought some for that purpose and will probably never play them again. Metal Drift and Counter Strike: Source come immediately to mind. Also, Garry's Mod. I let a friend talk me into it and I just don't care for it. Thankfully they were all very cheap.

Blizzard

Banned
I have been lucky enough to regret very few Steam purchases. Brink is one of the very few that come to mind, and release date Borderlands as well, though at least that was patched later. I don't think I've ever gone back to see whether multiplayer works better now.

If I would have paid full price for Brink I would have regretted that. But I got it so cheap ($3 after using credit I had forgot about on Amazon) so all the issues were easily overlooked. And come to think of it I wish I had waited on Duke Nukem Forever. It wasn't worth $50, in my opinion.

I should already know this but is there any way to easily change the name of a category that already has a bunch of games in it? Want to do some reorganizing.

Why doesn't AA in San Andreas appear to work? I turn it on, confirm my decision, and the game looks exactly the same.

And why the fuck do GTA3 and Vice City have support for 1280x720 resolution, but San Andreas doesn't?!

Echoplx

I don't give a shit if it's free or not, it already has steamworks features so I was just wondering when it's going to actually hit the Steam store.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Stallion Free said:

Singularity is so underrated it's ridiculous. It was easily one of the best FPS campaigns released in recent years.

That works, too.

Edit: I had forgotten that the game isn't up on the Aussie Steam Store.

Steam said:
Singularity

No results were returned for that query.

Glassboy

Stallion Free said:

I played the first few hours and wasn't that impressed with the gunplay. I felt like shooting the enemies was no fun at all. Sort of reminded me what it was like in the COD zombies modes and why I didn't like the shooting in those. Something was just a little off. It's almost like the enemies are paper and the bullets go right through them. i think RAGE nailed it though. Yeah sure some of the enemy reactions were a little over the top, but I when I shot someone, it actually felt like the bullets were hitting them. However, the environments in Singularity were pretty damn cool looking and very Bioshocky. I need to go back to the game and finish it.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
As far as regret goes, recently I regret Magicka and moreso Dungeon Siege III.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Derrick01 said:
Not to be prisoner of the moment but if I'm considering the price I paid for the game compared to how much I'm disliking it then Alice is probably topping the chart.

I spent $15 on a game where I've done pretty much nothing but run, jump and occasionally hit something with a basic x/y combat system. It's also extremely long as I'm only on chapter 2 about 4-5 hours in.

edit: Oh yeah two worlds 2 was awful too but I received that as a free gift so I don't count it.

If you don't love Alice because of the atmosphere it creates, the beautifully horrble wonderland (and don't play it at least on hard :p ), well then I'd argue this game is simply not for you.

Also: There was a mention here somewhere, where to find the Deus Ex: Missing Link DLC for 11~$. Anyone got a link?

amdnv

JaseC said:
but having to download over a terabyte of games is, to say the least, heartbreaking.
What on earth for? I only download my games on demand. I even uninstall them when I'm done.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The Mana Legend said:
Why doesn't AA in San Andreas appear to work? I turn it on, confirm my decision, and the game looks exactly the same.
Welcome to my relationship with Witcher 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
amdnv said:
What on earth for? I only download my games on demand. I even uninstall them when I'm done.

Why not? The space is there, plus I only download my backlogged games when I'm not using the internet for anything else. However, that said, if this dedicated Steam drive also dies, I'll give up and just download what I intend to play. :p

MRORANGE

I think the best option is to install the games your have not played and then install MP games you are going to play on a regular basis tf2/l4d/cod/bc2

Derrick01

Banned
Des0lar said:
If you don't love Alice because of the atmosphere it creates, the beautifully horrble wonderland (and don't play it at least on hard :p ), well then I'd argue this game is simply not for you.

Nope I don't love any game just for its art style as I can't do anything with a still background. It would help though if I was enjoying the actual game.

Having limited hard drive space was the best thing to ever happen to my backlog. I had 12 things installed at a time (mostly small indie games) with only two "big" games, one of which was open world or a racing game, the other being a simple campaign. I tore through like 15 of my main offenders on my backlog over the summer.

Then I upgraded my hard drive to 2TB from 233GB, and now I have 12 full "big" games staring at me, and instead of focusing on one at a time I have about 30-45 minutes in all of them. It's like when I bought my friends Atari 2600 with 30 games. I would just try all of the games, never focusing in on something for more than a few minutes. My college Internet connection is good enough that I'm considering going back to my old ways of only having two main games at a time. It really helped me through a lot of great games.

Salsa

JaseC said:
http://i.imgur.com/tV6Th.png[/ IMG]

Explain yourself, Salsa.

Edit: To avoid confusion, let it be known that I am referring to the lack of recorded playtime.[/QUOTE]

finishing The Missing Link? :p

Tomodachi

Buttonbasher said:
Then I upgraded my hard drive to 2TB from 233GB, and now I have 12 full "big" games staring at me, and instead of focusing on one at a time I have about 30-45 minutes in all of them. It's like when I bought my friends Atari 2600 with 30 games. I would just try all of the games, never focusing in on something for more than a few minutes. My college Internet connection is good enough that I'm considering going back to my old ways of only having two main games at a time. It really helped me through a lot of great games.
Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies.

kamspy

Remy said:

Don't cheap out on the GPU bro. Blame ATi/AMD and blame yourself. They can't make AMD fix their drivers.

Salsa

Idk about purchase i regret the most..

if we're talking strictly about purchase (as in, bad games that came in packs with other good ones dont count), then probably Ass Creed 1. I hate it.

2 is good tho

derFeef

kamspy said:
Don't cheap out on the GPU bro. Blame ATi/AMD and blame yourself. They can't make AMD fix their drivers.
Works like a charm on my AMD card, but I'll wait for the texture fix/excuse package and then continue.

Man, I'm going to have to put aside $100 or so for the Steam Christmas sale. Good thing I picked up most of what I wanted during the Summer sale. Anyone who hasn't experienced the Christmas sale and thought the Summer sale was anything, you are in for some serious shit.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
3chopl0x said:
I don't give a shit if it's free or not, it already has steamworks features so I was just wondering when it's going to actually hit the Steam store.
Pretty sure I saw an entry for it in the Registry.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DarkSoul520 said:
Man, I'm going to have to put aside $100 or so for the Steam Christmas sale. Good thing I picked up most of what I wanted during the Summer sale. Anyone who hasn't experienced the Christmas sale and thought the Summer sale was anything, you are in for some serious shit.

Nothing will ever compare to my first Xmas Steam sale. It started right after I decided to invest in a gaming PC, so I got to load up my library with a ton of awesome, cheap games. After that and the summer sale, there isn't a whole lot left on my wishlist, so the next Xmas sale won't be nearly as exciting.

confused

Banned
DarkSoul520 said:

Let's just hope they don't do like last year and have continous sales from thanksgiving through New Year. Spent almost 400 euros last year just on the "Give and get" and "Christmas" sales.

I'll have about 300 euros to spend this year. Just hope it's only an Xmas sale so I don't waste half of my Xmas funds like last year.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gravijah said:
gotta try to get all of the awesome people who have gifted me stuff some gifts during the christmas sale.

how about you save that money instead and buy yourself a real goddamn PC

that would be the greatest gift your money could buy

Salsa

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/steam-sales-pach-attack/722690

basically pacther saying that Steam sales arent profitable (except in the long run) and that they're just a promotion to get people on Steam..

.. yeah, gotta disagree there. The games that get crazy discounted just dont sell anymore in any other way. For a developer/publisher to have an old-ass game and sell it for $5 during one day must be extremely profitable for them considering its a product they dont worry about too much anymore.. its like giving back some life to games they probably consider "dead" in retail.

I just think he either doesnt know the userbase number really well or that he thinks newer games go for that cheap, wich isnt true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom