• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amrod

54yjl.png

:)?

Tomodachi said:
Had a look around, it appears that later version than 1.1 removed some selectable resolutions. There are some discussions about downgrading the steam 3.0 version (it's possible) to 1.1 to enable 1080p but I still haven't managed to do it, every time I try the exe refuses to start.
Yeah, it's crazy how both III and VC support all resolutions with no problem, but Steam's version of SA has a problem recognizing some resolutions. I found this downgrader on the Steam forums:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1952458

Basically, just copy gta-sa.exe to the downgrader's folder, run the bat file as an administrator, and decide whether you want 1.0 (Mod support) or 1.1 (HD resolutions). Afterwards, go to Display Settings>Advanced to change to your resolution. Just remember to rename the patched file from gta_sa.exe to gta-sa.exe if you want to run it from Steam. I just tried this, and while it still couldn't find my monitor's native resolution (1366x768) for some reason, the intro videos started to show up.

Tomodachi

Scythian said:
Are the discounts showing up for anybody? At least not for me.
Sacraboar is, Hydrophobia isn't.
But maybe Hydrophobia as a daily deal is an error in the news headlines? Have they ever featured two different daily deals a day?

Zero-Crescent said:
Basically, just copy gta-sa.exe to the downgrader's folder, run the bat file as an administrator, and decide whether you want 1.0 (Mod support) or 1.1 (HD resolutions). Afterwards, go to Display Settings>Advanced to change to your resolution. Just remember to rename the patched file from gta_sa.exe to gta-sa.exe if you want to run it from Steam. I just tried this, and while it still couldn't find my monitor's native resolution (1366x768) for some reason, the intro videos started to show up.
I tried exactly that downgrader (both trying with 1.0 and 1.1) and ended up with exes that would not start (also tried both renaming and not renaming). Weird. Will try again, the only thing I did differently from you is the "run as admin" thing.

Edit: nope, nothing. The only thing the new exe does (it's around 15MB while the original steam exe is 5MB, right?) is disabling windows aero and then enabling it again. No trace of it in the taskmanager afterwards, either. Weird.

Edit2: not even replacing with a nocd exe changed anything. oh well, I'll set 1680x1050x32 with widescreen on and play it this way, not that bad looking since nvidia panel puts lateral black bars, totally not that stretched. also, hadn't notice that there actually IS an antialiasing option built-in even in 3.0, silly me.

MRORANGE

Nabs said:
hmmm.. Steam remembered my birthday <3

it would be nice if steam remembered your birthday and gave you discounts off your wishlist, would be pretty cool. Of course your dob would be unchangeable to stop it be abused.

Sanjay

Nabs said:
hmmm.. Steam remembered my birthday <3

Ha now all I need is a name, already have your DOB, age, and location! only a matter of time till I unlock your steam account to view your games played usage.

Nabs

Sanjay said:
Ha now all I need is a name, already have your DOB, age, and location! only a matter of time till I unlock your steam account to view your games played usage.
It's not my actual birthday, silly! Steam remembers January 1st, 1936 :D

You'll never get to my stats page, never!

... and where's your old avatar :(

Sober

So the GTA3-era games don't really work so well with 360 controllers do they? Can't seem to find anything conclusive with google.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'd only want controller for the vehicles. All of the on foot stuff was shit on controller.

MRORANGE

Sober said:
So the GTA3-era games don't really work so well with 360 controllers do they? Can't seem to find anything conclusive with google.

my retail gta3 disc worked with a gamepad not so sure about steam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dice said:
I'd only want controller for the vehicles. All of the on foot stuff was shit on controller.
My wired 360 pad was recognized by the game as a basic controller. Only 1 stick is seen by them (though it doesn't really matter because cars in 3 don't need it). I switched up some of the buttons and it felt good.

Tomodachi

MRORANGE said:
my retail gta3 disc worked with a gamepad not so sure about steam.
Apparently it works just fine with standard pc controllers, not so great with the 360 one.
I don't know, maybe it just takes some time to remap all the buttons, and mind that there is no free camera rotating in pre-gta4 games, so having to look sidewards with triggers could be a little weird.

Sober said:
Was saying yesterday that my 360 controller (wireless) isn't recognised by San Andreas but my generic pad (wired) works perfectly. There is a tool called SAAC for mapping a 360 wireless pad for it but every time I run it the game crashes to desktop.

PaulLFC

So GAF, what's everyone's most regretted Steam purchase(s)?

Mine has to be Virtua Tennis 4. I bought it when it was 50% off in the Sega sale a few weeks ago, despite the fact that I had a huge backlog, the game would probably have been even cheaper in the holiday sale, and I've played it for a total of about 10 minutes since buying it. I also found out about all the GFWL/Save data issues after I'd already bought it.

coopolon said:
But the classics pack is $2 less? If I already had GTA IV and EFLC, you're saying I should buy the complete pack for $2 more even though it has absolutely no value to me?
Sober said:
Well gosh, I happen to be in that conundrum, so I'd better take the classics pack out of my cart and get the complete pack instead (no I won't).
5GQWY.jpg

Neither of you are listening so here's a GAF aproved way of making a point.

Games x,y,z = 10,20 monies.
Games x,y,z,a,b = 9,99 monies.

Sense this does not make and makes it possible for people to buy an inferior package if they didn't see that there's a much better deal out there. Even with the ''it's for people who already have GTA IV'' argument, this does not make sense. You're punishing people for already having GTA IV by making them pay almost the same as people who don't have and want GTA IV? Stop GAF, just stop.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A question for fellow AusGAfers: how long has San Andreas (and, similarly, the "Complete Pack") been available on Steam? Wasn't it banned for the "Hot Coffee" debacle years back?

Darklord

Banned
JaseC said:
A question for fellow AusGAfers: how long has San Andreas been available on Steam? Wasn't it banned for the "Hot Coffee" debacle years back?

It was never banned in Aus. Rockstar was just a jerk about putting them on steam for us.

Tomodachi

Rocket Scientist said:
Neither of you are listening so here's a GAF aproved way of making a point.

Games x,y,z = 10,20 monies.
Games x,y,z,a,b = 9,99 monies.

Sense this does not make and makes it possible for people to buy an inferior package if they didn't see that there's a much better deal out there. Even with the ''it's for people who already have GTA IV'' argument, this does not make sense. You're punishing people for already having GTA IV by making them pay almost the same as people who don't have and want GTA IV? Stop GAF, just stop.
It's simply an error in the european store that nobody bothered to fix.

This is from the US store:
Games x,y,z = 10.19$
Games x,y,z,a,b = 12.49$

No big deal :)

JaseC

Darklord said:
It was never banned in Aus. Rockstar was just a jerk about putting them on steam for us.

Oh. All I can recall is the circumscribing media circus and I assumed it was pulled from shelves - both physical and digital.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

JaseC said:
A question for fellow AusGAfers: how long has San Andreas (and, similarly, the "Complete Pack") been available on Steam? Wasn't it banned for the "Hot Coffee" debacle years back?

Not banned, but every Australian version of a GTA3 series game has a special cut version anyway, so it's possible that R* just didn't want to pay Valve to enter each game twice. For reference, every GTA3 series game released in Australia is edited so that hookers despawn after sex, because the OFLC got upset about being able to kill and rob them to get your money back.

Tomodachi

PaulLFC said:

Mine has to be Virtua Tennis 4. I bought it when it was 50% off in the Sega sale a few weeks ago, despite the fact that I had a huge backlog, the game would probably have been even cheaper in the holiday sale, and I've played it for a total of about 10 minutes since buying it. I also found out about all the GFWL/Save data issues after I'd already bought it.
Empire Total War: I don't remember how much I paid for it but I got it around the time it came out, so a lot more than it goes on sale. I don't even remember why I got it, I never liked other games in the series despite loving Civilization titles. I played it for about 15-30 minutes.

Also, all the games I bought for the stupid tickets/achievements for summer sale. I basically bought around 10 games just to unlock the one achievement linked to the sale. Lame.

JaseC

jim-jam bongs said:
Not banned, but every Australian version of a GTA3 series game has a special cut version anyway, so it's possible that R* just didn't want to pay Valve to enter each game twice. For reference, every GTA3 series game released in Australia is edited so that hookers despawn after sex, because the OFLC got upset about being able to kill and rob them to get your money back.

The more you know! :)

In the case of GTAIV, wasn't the game deliberately edited prior to submission as R* assumed the more gratuitous elements would push the game beyond MA15+? I bought the Episodes yet haven't given either chapter the time of day, but I do recall rumblings of prostitution and blood trails being included.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just uninstalled games, dropped from 120 games installed to 50 games installed. No sense pretending I'm actually going to play all those games, and I've got unlimited bandwidth anyway so it's not like I'll be in a crunch later on.

Edit: Wow, I've got like my whole GOG collection installed too, hahaha. Yeah, time to prune those.

JaseC said:
The more you know! :)

In the case of GTAIV, wasn't the game deliberately edited prior to submission as R* assumed the more gratuitous elements would push the game beyond MA15+? I bought the Episodes, but haven't given either chapter the time of day, but I do recall rumblings of prostitution and blood trails being included.

Yep, after the first game had to be edited to remove the incentive to mercilessly slay ladies of the night R* took to creating a version of GTA games with that specific feature preemptively cut for Australia. I honestly think they find it funny.

Kabouter

Stumpokapow said:
Just uninstalled games, dropped from 120 games installed to 50 games installed. No sense pretending I'm actually going to play all those games, and I've got unlimited bandwidth anyway so it's not like I'll be in a crunch later on.
Yeah, games like EU3 would just be taking up space, going unplayed for months.

Sober

It's all about backing them up on an external HDD, especially when your downloads are 512kb/s maxed on Steam. Do not plan on waiting 12 hours for something 15 gigs large.

JaseC

Stumpokapow said:

I spent the better part of ~3 months downloading my Steam library, only for my dedicated 1TB games drive to kick the bucket soon after. Similar to yourself, I don't have to concern myself with monthly quota, but having to download over a terabyte of games is, to say the least, heartbreaking.

steam231011xuxs.png

"Slowly but surely" and all that.

jim-jam bongs said:
Yep, after the first game had to be edited to remove the incentive to mercilessly slay ladies of the night R* took to creating a version of GTA games with that specific feature preemptively cut for Australia. I honestly think they find it funny.

Haha, indeed. If there is one company that can appreciate such irony, it's Rockstar.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Stumpokapow said:

Edit: Wow, I've got like my whole GOG collection installed too, hahaha. Yeah, time to prune those.

I prefer having a lean list too. I only have 10 games installed right now and to be honest I am most likely to play TF2 over anything else. :p

edit: More people are playing Dungeon Defenders over Black Ops.

Tomodachi said:
It's simply an error in the european store that nobody bothered to fix.

This is from the US store:
Games x,y,z = 10.19$
Games x,y,z,a,b = 12.49$

No big deal :)
I have no problem with this. I do have a problem with the European pricing, jim-jam bongs and the other internet tough guy posters here.

JaseC

Archie said:
I prefer having a lean list too. I only have 10 games installed right now and to be honest I am most likely to play TF2 over anything else. :p

edit: More people are playing Dungeon Defenders over Black Ops.

That's not surprising. When it comes to MP PC gaming, it's Valve that has the inadvertent foothold, not Acti with Call of Duty.

I don't mean to belittle the achievement - go indies!

JaseC

tV6Th.png

Explain yourself, Salsa.

Edit: To avoid confusion, let it be known that I am referring to the lack of recorded playtime.

Dungeon Defenders being played so much is impressive when you consider how buggy the online is at the moment. It reminds me of Dead Island when it launched, in that it's extremely fun and engrossing as long as you don't run into any bugs, but if you do run into one it's like characters being deleted or being unable to connect to any games severity.

MRORANGE

jim-jam bongs said:
Dungeon Defenders being played so much is impressive when you consider how buggy the online is at the moment. It reminds me of Dead Island when it launched, in that it's extremely fun and engrossing as long as you don't run into any bugs, but if you do run into one it's like characters being deleted or being unable to connect to any games severity.

The strange thing is that I never got anything deleted and have only been disconnected like 3 times and that was on the first day. But the devs are really dedicated on this game and it really is a great game once you get into the swing of things.

squire still OP

MRORANGE said:
The strange thing is that I never got anything deleted and have only been disconnected like 3 times and that was on the first day. But the devs are really dedicated on this game and it really is a great game once you get into the swing of things.

squire still OP

Yeah, me neither but Dead Island was like that for me too *touches wood*

It's a lot of fun for sure though, and there's a lot of depth under the surface which isn't immediately apparent, especially when it comes to the way loot/character progression and levels operate.

Ceebs

Dice said:
It's a shame we can't trade games on Steam.
The sad part is I knew I would hate it. I LOVE the original and knew that all those high review scores would mean it got beaten with the modern game design stick.

1-D_FTW

Nabs said:
It's not my actual birthday, silly! Steam remembers January 1st, 1936 :D

You'll never get to my stats page, never!

... and where's your old avatar :(

Damn, sonny, you're a youngun. I feel so old.

PaulLFC said:

F1 2011. By a country mile.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It would have been nice if Steam told me "after we rearrange the files for Witcher 2, it will have an 8GB download"

1-D_FTW

karlhungis said:
Does anyone think that I can get Tropico 3 cheaper than $10? Should I hold out for the Xmas sale or just bite the bullet?

Looked in my history. Bought Tropico 3 Gold for 4.99.

You can always go cheaper on Steam. Do you want to play it today is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom