• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOD DAMN! How many you reckon are unfinished?

I don't feel so bad about my backlog anymore.

But do keep us updated on your progress. It makes me happy to see people accomplish these things.

I'm not entirely sure that's accurate, it has to be DLC titles and perhaps the F2P games being counted too. Thanks for the encouragement! I've had the steam account since 2003 or so, so there's years worth of games to get through. I'd say that most of them are probably uncomplete (some of which have never been installed and have been impulse purchases from Steam sales).

I think I'll add a caveat in while I can; yearly franchise titles will not be include (such as Football Manager 2009/2010/2011/2012, etc), minimum I must play all other games must be at least 1 hour (if there isn't a definable 'story' to complete).

Company on this project would be good motivation.

GameFly has a nice sale today. Anyone taking advantage of it? I'm not sure the Steam sale will top some of these deals...

wow some of those are good. how does that work? those are not able to be registered on steam right?

sorry if this is dumb question I am new to PC gaming.

DagsJT

I'm not entirely sure that's accurate, it has to be DLC titles and perhaps the F2P games being counted too. Thanks for the encouragement! I've had the steam account since 2003 or so, so there's years worth of games to get through. I'd say that most of them are probably uncomplete (some of which have never been installed and have been impulse purchases from Steam sales).

I think I'll add a caveat in while I can; yearly franchise titles will not be include (such as Football Manager 2009/2010/2011/2012, etc), minimum I must play all other games must be at least 1 hour (if there isn't a definable 'story' to complete).

Does the 1 hour rule work on story games that you just don't like?

I'm tempted to try the same project but I feel I'd be missing out on games like The Witcher, which I'd probably not get around to playing until 2016.

Bentendo

wow some of those are good. how does that work? those are not able to be registered on steam right?

A lot of them are SteamWorks, meaning they can be registered on Steam. JUST AT THE TOP OF MY HEAD the following are SteamWorks:

*Just Cause 2 (I think)
*Skyrim
*All Valve games (like Portal and L4D)
*Civilization V

Does the 1 hour rule work on story games that you just don't like?

I'm tempted to try the same project but I feel I'd be missing out on games like The Witcher, which I'd probably not get around to playing until 2016.

Not sure - open to suggestions, though I feel like I'd have to slog through and finish the story. That's a fair point about games right at the bottom of the list!

Think I'll remove MMOs and Heavily Multiplayer games from the list too. Maybe.

A lot of them are SteamWorks, meaning they can be registered on Steam. JUST AT THE TOP OF MY HEAD the following are SteamWorks:

*Just Cause 2 (I think)
*Skyrim
*All Valve games (like Portal and L4D)
*Civilization V

wow awesome. How about Arkham City? I have already played it but a coworker wanted to know.

thanks again!

Some are. Just click View More Requirements if it's available.

xrJJK.jpg

MNC

I think it ended near the 4th. A bit after.

Also, boo, gamefly is UK only. There's some really good sales in there.

Going through goofy old games in my backlog and nothing kills just installing it and playing it for a few minutes like seeing that TAGES window pop up. Why. Now I'll probably never play Sherlock Holmes VS Jack the Ripper.

Edit: VVV I think those stripes look really cool. A comic-y cel shading thing.

2nd Edit: Anyone ever get this?

b16a422a8c13ee7104e0efe74bbff1c7.JPG

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
For anyone considering picking up FRAY (since it looks like Frozen Synapse with sweet graphics):

Game is unplayable currently since their servers cant handle the login stress. They are migrating towards a new servers asap, but I'll keep you updated whether that issue will be resolved since depending on the company "ASAP" can mean pretty much anything.

If the game turns out to be good enough, I'll also create an OT for it (after I finally got to play it..), so if you are interested, watch out for a possible OT.

DagsJT

As someone who's played Civilization since the first game came out many moons ago, I'm kinda surprised how little my knowledge has increased. I just can't get into Civ V at all, my starts always seem poor, I appear to always make poor decisions to get my empire up and running and the AI always seems to be one step ahead.

Oh, and barbarians constantly kick my ass.

Bentendo

You get limited installs and unless you revoke those installs you can lose them completely. If you lose them all then you lose access to the game and have to contact SecuROM for more.

WOW... just... wow. I always hear about secuROM but I guess I never bothered to actually look up why it's so bad.

EDIT: When you say installs do you mean installs on different computers or the same computer? Because if it's the former then that might not be too bad.

chixdiggit

For anyone considering picking up FRAY (since it looks like Frozen Synapse with sweet graphics):

Game is unplayable currently since their servers cant handle the login stress. They are migrating towards a new servers asap, but I'll keep you updated whether that issue will be resolved since depending on the company "ASAP" can mean pretty much anything.

If the game turns out to be good enough, I'll also create an OT for it (after I finally got to play it..), so if you are interested, watch out for a possible OT.

Game does look interesting. No single player?

MNC

I want them to come out with a LEGO All-Stars pack or something. Every LEGO game on Steam. And I'd never play it but buy the shit out of it and look at it in grid view with love.

I shan't play a game until my death. I shall buy no game full-priced, hold no wallet, father no regrets. I shall live and die at my account. I am the PC gamer in the darkness, the watcher of the gabe. I pledge my life and honor to the Steam platform, for this sale and all sales to come.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Game does look interesting. No single player?

Its a simultaneous turn based MP game from the description. I hope there are some SP challenge/training missions, but I guess the focus is on MP, maybe even more so than with FS due to their levelling system for your chars. As soon as I get my hands on it, I'll let you know everything about the modes/gameplay via the OT I am going to create, I guess.

Hopefully I didnt blow 15 € on a completely unplayable turd though =p

Some bullet points:
Create your own squad with 6 Uniques classes (Assault, Tank, Medic, Sniper, Support and Shadow)
Over 20 different weapons and equipment, ranging from the classic Line Launcher to the Orbital Strike or the destructive Quake
20 unique maps
2 to 4 players with coop
XP and credit system
Intricate leveling system for each class
Online leaderboard

Another issue could be balance. No clue how "levelling" is handled but it would suck heavily if lvl1 players had no chance against a lvl40 player due to equipment (not to mention experience in playing the game).

Bentendo

I want them to come out with a LEGO All-Stars pack or something. Every LEGO game on Steam. And I'd never play it but buy the shit out of it and look at it in grid view with love.

I shan't play a game until my death. I shall buy no game full-priced, hold no wallet, father no regrets. I shall live and die at my account. I am the PC gamer in the darkness, the watcher of the gabe. I pledge my life and honor to the Steam platform, for this sale and all sales to come.

Amazingly I'm quoting you not for the last bit but the Lego idea... That would actually be an amazing bundle of some sort. I'd probably spend $50 for all the LEGO games on Steam, as long as the new Batman (which I see isn't out on Steam yet) is included. Those games are pure bliss.

Bentendo

OMG this is true? LEGO BATMAN 2 will be steamworks? I'm soooo happy!!! :D

About the price I think it's wrong, because the game it isn't that expensive, I think it costs $29.99

I don't think it'll be steamworks. It was just placed in the registry. But yeah, 50 is too expensive, especially when the other Lego games are 20 each.

How did you get to this conclusion? Am I missing something?

Am I wrong? that picture that BertleTheTurtle uploaded isn't from the Steam registry?

I don't think it'll be steamworks. It was just placed in the registry. But yeah, 50 is too expensive, especially when the other Lego games are 20 each.

I saw that the game is Games for Windows Live, but I don't know if the game will be on Steam

Toma

Ok ok, my mistake, I just wanted to know if the game will be on Steam, so it'll be available on Steam?

Probably ;) Chances are good it will be on Steam if its in the registry (though not 100% guaranteed), but SteamWorks (as you already have been told) is another layer.

Bentendo

Ok sorry, it was my mistake, thank you to all of you :)

I really hope to see that game on Steam

I'm pretty certain it'll be on Steam (I see absolutely no reason for it not to be... the registry also pretty much confirms it). It might be a while though: I think the last Harry Potter Lego game came out around two or three months after the console version and this is the same publisher.

Toma

I'm pretty certain it'll be on Steam (I see absolutely no reason for it not to be... the registry also pretty much confirms it). It might be a while though: I think the last Harry Potter Lego game came out around two or three months after the console version and this is the same publisher.

Pretty sure we had a bundle last year that was supposed to pop up on steam due to the registry thing, but never actually had been made available for purchase. Its pretty sure, but I dont think its a 100% thing for everything that is being put up in the registry. But yes, in case of a new full game release, it probably will appear on Steam at some point.

Yup, that's true, so I think that I'm gonna wait, thanks bro!

kadotsu

Banned

From the forums:

1: Right-click on "Computer" (in XP it was called "My Computer") and click on Properties.

2: in Vista / 7, on the left click on "Advanced System Settings". On XP, Google search for how to change your system path, because I can't quite remember where things were in XP.

3: In the Advanced tab, you'll see a button for "Environment Variables". Click it.

4: In the upper section of that new window, you should see something like "User Variables for [your username]". Scroll through to find the one called "PATH".

5: Highlight the entry for "PATH" and click "Edit...".

6: You'll get a too-small text box that has a field on the top for "Variable Name" and a field under it for "Variable Value". Put your cursor into the "Variable Value" field and hit the [End] key so you know you're not inserting text in the middle of another entry. If you push the right arrow key it should not scroll.

7: Add a semicolon [;] to separate your new entry from the others. This is the key to the right of the 'L' key, without pressing Shift.
Correct -> ;
Incorrect -> :

8: Paste in the path to Steam, which for me on a default-install Windows 7 64 system is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

9: Press OK, and re-launch Steam so that it gets the new environment variables. (It might work without re-launching, but hey why not.)

10: Run the game!

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Check with http://www.steamcalculator.com instead. It doesn't count F2P games, although it most likely does count DLC (don't know for sure since I've yet to purchase any) since the point of it is to calculate what your account is worth.

WOW... just... wow. I always hear about secuROM but I guess I never bothered to actually look up why it's so bad.

EDIT: When you say installs do you mean installs on different computers or the same computer? Because if it's the former then that might not be too bad.

Both, actually. At one time you can have the game installed on so many different computers. I'm not sure what the activation limit is of that Batman game. But let's say it's 5. So you can have the game installed on five different computers at once. Now, if you're just using a single computer and never revoke one of the installs, and you change something like the video card, then that will use up one of the installs and you're left with four. Major hardware changes will make it think it's a new computer, basically, and will use up an install. So make sure to revoke if possible with any game that uses SecuROM.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So... steam says 496 - so somewhere 200+ titles have appeared that have no value. Insane!

Actually, I now see that the site is simply wrong, regarding the value it calculates. For example, I bought the Defense Grid + DLC pack during a sale, and while my account shows both the game and the DLC as separate titles, Steam Calculator only shows the game. That would kind of make sense since I bought them together in a pack (as one purchase), but Steam Calculator shows the game at its lower pricepoint, which doesn't include the DLC. It does show the correct number of purchased games on my account, so that's good I guess, but since the point of it is to calculate my account's value it kind of fails.

Going through goofy old games in my backlog and nothing kills just installing it and playing it for a few minutes like seeing that TAGES window pop up. Why. Now I'll probably never play Sherlock Holmes VS Jack the Ripper.

Edit: VVV I think those stripes look really cool. A comic-y cel shading thing.

Happened to me all the time when I wanted to play Hitman: Blood Money. I finally decided to try and plug the Steam.dll file into the game's folder to see if that worked and it did. You can also try the method that kadotsu posted, too. :p

The former, however reports are pretty conflicting as there are chances that the revocation tool may not work at all. Moreover, if you run out of installs, SecuROM tells you to ask WB for more, WB says they don't give out more and you should speak to SecuROM and then it's a very vicious circle. If you want more info check the Steam forums for Arkham City, you can find the link on the right side of the game page in the store - in the second or third forum page there should be a "atrocious DRM", stay away topic.

There have also been people who have upgraded various parts of their PCs (from graphic cards to GPUs) and apparently SecuROM will refuse to work and run games after such an upgrade as it is somehow "tied" with the computer setup it is installed in and refuses to work if the setup changes.

Fuck it, as soon as I learned about it I decided to consider the GOTY edition of Arkham City, IF SecuROM is removed (which I doubt). Th fact that he game is also GFWL does not help much at all.

Blizzard

Banned
Both, actually. At one time you can have the game installed on so many different computers. I'm not sure what the activation limit is of that Batman game. But let's say it's 5. So you can have the game installed on five different computers at once. Now, if you're just using a single computer and never revoke one of the installs, and you change something like the video card, then that will use up one of the installs and you're left with four. Major hardware changes will make it think it's a new computer, basically, and will use up an install. So make sure to revoke if possible with any game that uses SecuROM.
Didn't Arkham Asylum automatically give you back a certain number of installs per month though? Is Arkham City not the same way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom