• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished my third playthrough yesterday. Turns out the shotgun is super effective for impressing squadmates! My favorite game this year so far, it's a steal at $8.

Total surprise for me, didn't expect it to be so fun. Do you get something from additional playthroughs or is it just to see all the characters in different scenes?

Bauhaus

Banned
Are the Total War games any good? I really want those tf2 items and this saturday is my birthday but i got to know if they are good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm hoping Shogun 2 goes for at least 66% off so I can pick up the DLC I'm missing (I may be willing to go down to 50% off).

It looks like Valve may not require OSX titles to be Steamplay anymore if the publisher doesn't want it. Call of Duty: Black Ops was released for OSX and it's a separate buy from the Windows version.

More OSX titles should be coming to Steam now because of it.

JustinBB7

It looks like Valve may not require OSX titles to be Steamplay anymore if the publisher doesn't want it. Call of Duty: Black Ops was released for OSX and it's a separate buy from the Windows version.

I don't really care about mac games myself, but this kinda seems like a bad move. You'd have to pay for a game twice if you would ever switch back to windows. But I guess that's their own decision.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

It's released and published by Aspyr which was why we weren't seeing a lot of Mac games get Steamplay in the first place. Aspyr is responsible for most EA games and plenty of other Mac ports that aren't present on Steam.

This seems to be outside of Valve's control apart from not allowing it to be added at all.

Exuro

I don't really care about mac games myself, but this kinda seems like a bad move. You'd have to pay for a game twice if you would ever switch back to windows. But I guess that's their own decision.
It's either pay twice or don't get the mac version on steam at all. Better to have the option then not. I'm not sure how this will affect steam play "adoption" now that devs can release the version separate though. Either way I think it's the right move. A lot of mac ports are done by outside teams like Aspyr and Feral and its indicated fairly well which version it is with the white bar and logo.

I really think Steam needs to update the store though. The pages are getting really busy now.

JaseC

Makes sense considering the looming release of Steam Linux.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blops Mac also appears to not use Steamworks for multiplayer backbone as the page says this:

"Unified Mac-to-Mac Multiplayer Experience - Multiplayer works with Call of Duty: Black Ops for the Mac only, including Steam, Mac App Store, retail and other digital outlets."

dot

How the frook are the Raptr steam codes for Psychonauts/Stacking already gone?!

I woke up too late...oh well, i wouldn't have gotten it anyways since i barely played Costume Quest.

MRORANGE

LOL, well this is a first, OSX games cheaper than the Windows counterpart:

KR7nA.png

It's all over guys, PC master race is dead, beaten by Apple.
Might as well get iMac's and throw out your gaming computers.

Exuro

LOL, well this is a first, OSX games cheaper than the Windows counterpart:

http://i.imgur.com/KR7nA.png[IMG]

It's all over guys, PC master race is dead, beaten by Apple.
Might as well get iMac's and throw out your gaming computers.[/QUOTE]Mac version is $10 more in the US. Also only has 1 dlc pack available.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

I woke up too late...oh well, i wouldn't have gotten it anyways since i barely played Costume Quest.
They only had 275 codes for each game : /

Exuro

RIP SteamPlay
I really don't see devs who already release steamplay titles to change that in the future. The main reason this one is is not just because it's a different developer but because the two games don't interact at all. On top of Steamplay being a one purchase fits all there's also the cloud connection between them so you can start playing on one pc and then continue on a mac.

Alien8

Is possible to filter the SteamPlay games (or Mac games for that matter) of your library in the windows client?

ArjanN

Man, are there any big XBLA games that aren't making it over to Steam? Even Fez and Joe Danger 2 are probably somewhere on the horizon.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet.

Joe Danger 2 was already announced for PC by the way.

Fez is coming. Sine Mora should be coming according to this interview with Balazs Horvath, though I doubt they'll make his timeframe given the PSV version isn't even dated yet. The game itself was delayed a bunch so I'm unsurprised, plus some kind of company split happened after the XBLA release which can't help.

Awesome, didn't know Sine Mora was already announced officially. In the interview they say it should be out next month, hope it's not delayed too much.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Anyone notice TERA disappeared from the "coming soon" tab? There's just an oops error on its store page now.

Shantom

The Total War is quite possibly my favourite series so I suppose it makes sense that Sega would find some way to mess the Master Collection up.

First of all not all the Total War games are included- thre's no Medieval II Kingdoms. This is important because many of the best mods, including the Lord of the Rings mod, require Kingdoms. Rome Total War Alexander is also missing as are the first Shogun and Medieval are also missing but they're unavailable on Steam anyway and are difficult to get working on modern day systems.

The second major omission is DLC. The previous Total War packs have included the Imperial Edition of Napoleon Total War but this seems to include only the standard edition meaning there is a campaign missing as well as a couple of unit packs. Similar DLC for Empire and Shogun is excluded as well.

Everything in the pack, Napoleon apart, is a fantastic game but be warned that you don't get everything.

robatw

are there more infos on castle crashers for pc? did they improve stuff or add content in comparism to xbox 360 version?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

There were only 300 codes. Gone in 2 minutes

Yep, and some users were forced to look in agony as it didn't count them as qualified even if they got Hardcore in one of the 3 titles.

BigDes

Should't Steam have started to sell non gaming software by now?

I thought they were going to start selling creativity and productivity software by early September?

JaseC

In the witching hours of the night I realized something. It just suddenly occurred to me while looking at my Steam library. And this all goes back to me wondering who Valve would get to publish their games from now on. Obviously they wont be using EA again. Dota 2 and CS:GO aren't being sold as boxed copies either, so it's been awhile since they have needed a boxed copy publisher.

Were not getting HL3 until the next consoles are out because Valve wont be selling boxed copies of any game ever again. Not even HL3.

Salsa

Were not getting HL3 until the next consoles are out because Valve wont be selling boxed copies of any game ever again. Not even HL3.

eh

I doubt this reasoning (although solid) holds true, even though at this point I dont think i'd even want HL3 to come out this gen

they'll probably work something out regarding retail. Dota 2 is a PC only title and CS:GO fits the downloadable markets price. That wouldnt be the case with Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3 or Portal 3

JustinBB7

Also, won't the multiplayer for MW3 be a ghost town? Only like 0.1% of steam users use mac, let alone the average COD player. Doubt it would be worth the money.

JaseC

In the witching hours of the night I realized something. It just suddenly occurred to me while looking at my Steam library. And this all goes back to me wondering who Valve would get to publish their games from now on. Obviously they wont be using EA again. Dota 2 and CS:GO aren't being sold as boxed copies either, so it's been awhile since they have needed a boxed copy publisher.

Valve just uses EA for retail distribution, so even if we assume EA's spat with Steam and its spanner thrown in the Portal 2 ARG machine soured that relationship, I imagine Valve wouldn't have to look hard for another publisher willing to offer its retail distribution network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom