• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Worth it? I never played it before, and I like the other 2D Genesis Sonic games.

It's probably my favorite Sonic. Definitely worth the $2, yeah.

Play it with the JPN soundtrack though. It's hype as hell, way better than what we ended up with.

ShaneB

I have like 9700 ms points collecting dust on my 360. :( Wish I had waited to actually redeem the points until I wanted to buy something. Lesson learned, wish you could at least gift games or something on there. Stupid ms.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Comfy couch

The Steam version is not fine, almost everyone who plays doom on PC no must be using zdoom surely?

Yeah, I use zDoom but when I last tried it I was able to spoof the Steam .exe fine and still play through Steam. I think someone said they messed it up now though.

Still, the benefits of zDoom with or without Steam spoofing outweigh the benefits of Doom 2 XBLA.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
What ever happened to coupons? It was a good concept, heavily promoted during the holiday sale, but Valve essentially dropped it outside of a few promotions.

Also no apps yet lol

1-D_FTW

What have you guys heard? Cause it look awesome?

Is it just some button masher that locks you into rooms to fight mind-numbingly repetitive battles? Cause I hate those type of games.

I had the impression it was Metroid-esque in gameplay design, but coupled with incredible visuals.

allansm

Apparently Hell Yeah sucks from what I have heard.

Taking a quick look at metacritic it seems it's a divisive game instead of a bad one. I watched Giant Bomb's quick look and I liked what I saw, so that's enough for me to purchase the game. I don't trust written reviews of indie games unless they are made by RockPaperShotgun, lots of indie games I like were unfairly criticized in written reviews.

If I copied my TF2 folder and gave it to my brother, would he be able to play by dropping it in the appropriate place?
On a different PC? The TF2 folder only stores settings and things you downloaded off servers and such, he'd still need all the appropriate gcf files from the steamapps folder.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If I copied my TF2 folder and gave it to my brother, would he be able to play by dropping it in the appropriate place?

Yes, just take note of the following:

[Copying/pasting game data to bypass the need to download will] also work with games using the new CDS. Steam checks for existing data when initialising the installation of a game, so as long as you don't begin the download/s prior to copying over the steamapps folder, Steam will "discover" the existing data and realise it doesn't need to download anything (or will only download the files that have been updated). Here's an example using a fresh installation of Steam and the Dota 2 beta (I don't know why the other games showed up to the party):

1jfsz4.jpg

251sej.jpg

3cpspj.jpg

4wqsu1.jpg

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

Fez is coming. Sine Mora should be coming according to this interview with Balazs Horvath, though I doubt they'll make his timeframe given the PSV version isn't even dated yet. The game itself was delayed a bunch so I'm unsurprised, plus some kind of company split happened after the XBLA release which can't help.

It is weird that we haven't seen Shadow Complex or Scott Pilgrim. Outland would be nice too.

Hell yeah to PC Sine Mora, although I'll probably buy it on Vita. The guys behind Scott Pilgrim is doing a new game, Mercenary Kings, which seems to be to Contra what SP was to Streets of Rage. It's currently PC exclusive at the moment (because, y'know, licensing fees) and they've already confirmed for Steam, so look out for it.

JaseC

Awesome, thanks. So the only files I want to copy over are the gcf ones? And just the ones that have team fortress 2 in the filename or ones like source models too?

Copy over the Source GCFs as well as the Team Fortress 2 GCFs. Then, copy the team fortress 2 folder into his Steam\steamapps\[account name] folder, and finally install the game via Steam. Steam should detect the existing data and, assuming your copy of TF2 is up-to-date, skip the download process entirely.

kami_sama

Fez is coming. Sine Mora should be coming according to this interview with Balazs Horvath, though I doubt they'll make his timeframe given the PSV version isn't even dated yet. The game itself was delayed a bunch so I'm unsurprised, plus some kind of company split happened after the XBLA release which can't help.

It is weird that we haven't seen Shadow Complex or Scott Pilgrim. Outland would be nice too.

Wait, what? Since when is it coming to pc?

I don't know if PC could even save Shadow Complex's visuals. It looks awful on 360, but a lot of the issues stem from the actual assets and the way the earlier revision of UE3 was used. I'd like update to the latest revision with baked in GI to replace the old lighting, no motion blur, improved DOF, and improved assets where necessary.

I thought it looked really nice, but perhaps that's because I go into console games expecting them to look like trash.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wait, what? Since when is it coming to pc?

It hasn't been officially announced as far as I know, but in July, Polytron (the Fez developer) tweeted that there were only "a few months" of XBLA exclusivity left. This was during the whole Polytron vs. Microsoft fiasco. There might have been another hint or two about a PC release, but I can't find anything right now.

1-D_FTW

It hasn't been officially announced as far as I know, but in July Polytron (the Fez developer) tweeted that there was only "a few months" of XBLA exclusivity left. This was during the whole Polytron vs. Microsoft fiasco. There might have been another hint or two about a PC release, but I can't find anything right now.

Plus with his rants against MS vs Steam, it doesn't take much imagination to figure out where he's headed next.

it's being considered, it may come.

Phil Fish didn't like XBLA, blamed it for the save corruption of the game and that it was to expensive to fix it.

Oh and he has something against pc's, or just rubbin Mircosoft's back.

Spreadsheets to count all his monies. Am i rite?

MRORANGE

Plus with his rants against MS vs Steam, it doesn't take much imagination to figure out where he's headed next.

Spreadsheets to count all his monies. Am i rite?
I'd chalk that up to 'acting like a jackass'. Seems to be a reoccuring problem for him, but his game looks cool so I don't really care what he writes on the internet.

Guy really needs to keep his thoughts to himself, I found the phil fish moments in the "Indie Game: The Movie" to be very cringe worthy.

JaseC

Guy really needs to keep his thoughts to himself, I found the phil fish moments in the "Indie Game: The Movie" to be very cringe worthy.

I keep forgetting that I have this. Maybe I'll watch it after I watch Fire Walk with Me... (ha!)

1-D_FTW

Just watched the Gametrailers review of Hell Yeah. They really ripped it a new one. I'm still intrigued, though. I also wonder if the whole camera complaint can be offset by 1080P support (assuming it's supported).

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
It hasn't been officially announced as far as I know, but in July, Polytron (the Fez developer) tweeted that there was only "a few months" of XBLA exclusivity left. This was during the whole Polytron vs. Microsoft fiasco. There might have been another hint or two about a PC release, but I can't find anything right now.
At least one GAFer said that Fez was running on PC during IGF exhibitions and that privately, Fish said he understood the demand for a PC version. IIRC, it was Zia.

I guess it could go to PSN and remain firmly console-exclusive, but I would...I dunno, wager a somewhat expensive game on Steam against that.

edit:
Free half minute hero codes at @halfminutehero
asdfsl;khdfskj fuck I'm at work NO WHY :(

Castle Crashers for free yesterday, Half Minute Hero for free today.
I fucking love twitter.

For everyone who missed out:
@HalfMinuteHero If you missed out, fear now - we're doing this twice more tomorrow: at noon and 6pm UK time. Good luck!
They're spamming 30 keys in 30 seconds, and I activated one easily. So chances seem pretty good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I assume this is only for the muti and not the single player like the Saints Row 3 free weekend was right/

Yep. COD multiplayer is actually launched separately from the single player. Fun game, though, Spec Ops survival is cool, but not included in the free portion if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom