• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeless

beat alpha protocol
VZ5Mz.jpg

great game if you're playing stealth
for those who played it like a third person shooter i am sorry for your loss

dk_

I think they said it was coming.

One of the main reasons I never switch to a new OS is because nothing is supported yet, programs don't work, games don't work. And it takes a long time for all those things to come, along with Windows updates it self, which are always needed.

(and you know... it's windows 8 so..)

I haven't had any problems so far honestly.

Works fine for my workmate.
Yeah, Steam updated und unchecked the beta program. Works fine now!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
aww man, vice city isn't on steam anymore? i was hoping to get that trilogy of GTA games at the next sale. :(

Wait, what do you mean it's not on Steam anyore? I bought it over the summer sale, I have it installed. I'm at work now so I can't check, but do you mean it's no longer SOLD on Steam, or can't I even PLAY the copy I bought on Steam anymore???

I'm going to be a tad mad if I can't play the game I paid for now, the whole reason I bought it on Steam is so that I can play Vice City whenever I want to....?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait, what do you mean it's not on Steam anyore? I bought it over the summer sale, I have it installed. I'm at work now so I can't check, but do you mean it's no longer SOLD on Steam, or can't I even PLAY the copy I bought on Steam anymore???

I'm going to be a tad mad if I can't play the game I paid for now, the whole reason I bought it on Steam is so that I can play Vice City whenever I want to....?

When people say "[game] is no longer available on Steam", they're referring to its presence on the Steam Store (or rather, the lack thereof), not the game data itself.

Edit: I read "play" as "download". As Ledsen says, a game being removed from the Steam Store doesn't affect a user's own library.

Ledsen

They don't remove game you've already bought.

Tizoc

Are Steam games 'share-able' Like I can download/install a game I have on my account to a friend or relative's PC and they can play it without any problems?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Are Steam games 'share-able' Like I can download/install a game I have on my account to a friend or relative's PC and they can play it without any problems?

Your Steam account can be used on multiple computers.

It can not be used on multiple computers at the same time.

JaseC

Yes, although they'll need to run Steam in Offline Mode, as concurrent logins are not supported.

Edit: Kindasorta beaten.

ShaneB

beat alpha protocol

great game if you're playing stealth
for those who played it like a third person shooter i am sorry for your loss

I just started playing this last night, and already agree with your sentiment. Being stealth and all that and the game is completely fine, but when I get spotted, I feel like loading a checkpoint just because the combat just kills all momentum. I definitely love the game so far, it's refreshing and the conversation system is shaping up to be pretty awesome, so I'm going to stick with it, but I see myself pouring all my AP points into Stealth.

edit: as 3chopl0x said, I generally suck at stealth too, lol, so I'm hoping I can stick with it, since it seems like the mediocre gunplay is wrapped in a pretty awesome package.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Your Steam account can be used on multiple computers.

It can not be used on multiple computers at the same time.

I have actually done that a fair amount with my younger brother wanting to play some of my single-player games.

Mengy

When people say "[game] is no longer available on Steam", they're referring to its presence on the Steam Store (or rather, the lack thereof), not the game data itself.

Edit: I read "play" as "download". As Ledsen says, a game being removed from the Steam Store doesn't affect a user's own library.

Well that's good to know. But if steam is still supports the game in the library, then why would they stop selling it? Seems like keeping it in the store would only be beneficial to the developer?

Volcynika

Well that's good to know. But if steam is still supports the game in the library, then why would they stop selling it? Seems like keeping it in the store would only be beneficial to the developer?

Sometimes developers lose rights to game (licensing and such for things maybe in the game), companies may not exist anymore, etc. Not sure why Vice City was removed, but there's a multitude of reasons a game would be removed from Steam.

JaseC

Valve only removes games upon request (e.g. Zombie Driver turning into Zombie Driver HD) or when a publisher's rights lapse (e.g. Wolfenstein '09).

Edit: Oh, and when it's not possible to get more keys (e.g. Prey).

Valve only removes games upon request (e.g. Zombie Driver turning into Zombie Driver HD) or when a publisher's rights lapse (e.g. Wolfenstein '09).

Edit: Oh, and when it's not possible to get more keys (e.g. Prey).

Did wolfenstein stay on people's account that already purchased it?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I suck at stealth :(
Me too, but I still like that genre. I always try to play this games stealthily, but without exception end up becoming Rambo (against my will, but due to my lack of skill). I probably deserve to be lapidated by Hitman and Splinter Cell purists!

Isn't that like a spiritual sequel to the worst game of all time, X-Blades?

Do not give those beasts your money.
But... but...
Why the question? It's on special!

eyeless

I just started playing this last night, and already agree with your sentiment. Being stealth and all that and the game is completely fine, but when I get spotted, I feel like loading a checkpoint just because the combat just kills all momentum. I definitely love the game so far, it's refreshing and the conversation system is shaping up to be pretty awesome, so I'm going to stick with it, but I see myself pouring all my AP points into Stealth.

edit: as 3chopl0x said, I generally suck at stealth too, lol, so I'm hoping I can stick with it, since it seems like the mediocre gunplay is wrapped in a pretty awesome package.
my advice for avoiding the wanting gunplay would be to invest in the martial arts skill. initially you're not proficient, getting blocked etc. but once you upgrade to i think about 50 strike damage you can dispatch an enemy without difficulty in about three seconds. i loved the feel of the melee, especially as an alternative to subpar gunplay. also essential for non-lethal play obviously, if that's your style. for the stealth skill, evasion will give you a second chance upon being spotted, and of course shadow operative will cloak you entirely for its duration.

it has its shortcomings but the story/conversation aspect is great and for me playing stealth/melee made the minute-to-minute gameplay great fun.

Mengy

Sometimes developers lose rights to game (licensing and such for things maybe in the game), companies may not exist anymore, etc. Not sure why Vice City was removed, but there's a multitude of reasons a game would be removed from Steam.

That's interesting. And yet kind of sad. I wonder how many really good games are in the steam library that I can no longer buy? Games that many people might have in their steam accounts that new users will never be able to experience?

Kind of makes me want to start a steam graveyard thread, a list of games that steam once sold but are now un-purchasable forever...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
as long as they weren't around when they weren't downloaded, sure

Yeah, but then you'd be responsible for soiled blankets and you'd start getting letters from wherever you're keeping them stored and it'd just be a mess.

Look, the analogy breaks down here, sure.

Wheelman is the only one that bums me out. I could have saved you Vin!

Agreed. I actually kind of enjoyed what I played of the OnLive version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom