• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

People talk about how a game is hard, but then are like "no wait don't use that tactic or it isn't hard enough"? :p Come on guys, it's a legit strategy! (I've never played it so I have no idea)

It's absolutely a legit tactic, though the first boss point is to kill you and introduce you to the hollow/human mechanic and by killing the boss instead he kind of goes over that! One of the issues of non-scripted games, players won't lose when they're supposed to!

first time launching Dark Souls..

that wasnt hard at all. Man you guys must be just bad at games

:p

Demonsouls is where its at, that game will make you cry and throw your controller..( later on) especially these fucker

da9ts.jpg

though you can kill them with magic..but it probably sucks if you use melee

NIN90

ahhh i fucked up. i got singularity and syndicate mixed up. which one is better?

Both are pretty good sub $20 titles. Kinda hard to say which one is better.

Singularity's gameplay is an interesting mix between Bioshock and Half-Life with surprisingly good gunplay.
Syndicate has some neat gameplay gimmicks.

camerooni

Neo Member
Original AC has no 3rd party drm.

It doesn't no.. but it still calls back home (see the issues with freezes after kills since they moved servers).. if that isn't a form of drm - it's just as bad, particularly since there is no mention that it does it and there is no way to allow it or not (beyond blocking ports).

Salsa

I cant really tell if I like Dark Souls

I played for 4 hours so far. Im not finding it super difficult or frustrating or anything like that. Im used to playing Monster Hunter and the "bosses" just feel like a hardcore version of that, so im good.

The thing is that so far im finding it kinda dull. The lack of feedback in terms of what you're doing ends up in the other side of satisfactory for me.

Im gonna keep at it but it hasnt clicked at all yet

Sajjaja

I played for 4 hours so far. Im not finding it super difficult or frustrating or anything like that. Im used to playing Monster Hunter and the "bosses" just feel like a hardcore version of that, so im good.

The thing is that so far im finding it kinda dull. The lack of feedback in terms of what you're doing ends up in the other side of satisfactory for me.

Where are you in the game?

Striek

Uhm so about a week ago I finished Borderlands (1). I just tried launching it to try out a different character and it says its uninstalled, wants me to download the 7gb+ again. I never selected uninstall (theres no way I could've be accident either).

All the local files are on disk still in my steamapps folder, steam just doesn't recognise it. It gives me no repair options and says "disk usage: none" when i check the properties in steam.

Any advice so I don't have to waste half a day downloading it again?

ShaneB

Uhm so about a week ago I finished Borderlands (1). I just tried launching it to try out a different character and it says its uninstalled, wants me to download the 7gb+ again. I never selected uninstall (theres no way I could've be accident either).

All the local files are on disk still in my steamapps folder, steam just doesn't recognise it. It gives me no repair options and says "disk usage: none" when i check the properties in steam.

This happened to me yesterday with Chivalry. It just seemed to magically uninstall. Just like you, all the files were still on my pc, etc, everything looked fine. All I did was click install on Chivalry and it saw all the files, etc, and went back to being normal.

Milamber

Happened 3 days ago for me too. All I did was hit install again. It just verified & showed play game.

Striek

This happened to me yesterday with Chivalry. It just seemed to magically uninstall. Just like you, all the files were still on my pc, etc, everything looked fine. All I did was click install on Chivalry and it saw all the files, etc, and went back to being normal.
Happened 3 days ago for me too. All I did was hit install again. It just verified & showed play game.
Thanks, didn't want to hit install it case it deleted the files on disk and redownloaded them.

Edit: Yep, it "updated" it again at ~150mb/s. Phew.

Can't get myself to play Xcom or Torchlight II for reasons unknown, bored of TF2 and Civ V so I'm digging into the list of never before played games and installing Far Cry 2. Wanna see what the fuss is about opinions on this game seem to be pretty extremely polarised.

Does anyone else have to sign in twice to Steam lately? Whenever I restart/turn on my computer for the first time, I input my password and sign in, but nothing happens and the Steam log-in window just disappears. Then I click Steam in my taskbar again and the window immediately pops up for me to sign in once more, then it works. It randomly started happening about three or four days ago. It's getting annoying.

Can't get myself to play Xcom or Torchlight II for reasons unknown, bored of TF2 and Civ V so I'm digging into the list of never before played games and installing Far Cry 2. Wanna see what the fuss is about opinions on this game seem to be pretty extremely polarised.
my only advice for far cry 2 is to not treat it like a game where you have to punch out missions and go through some story. just take it slow and methodically. feel free to experiment and not stick to one style of play, even if it's effective.

Caerith

Ok, I just finished the first episode of The Walking Dead. I assume I need 2 playthroughs to see everything?

It was awesome btw.
As said before, live with your choices at least until the season wraps. But you can also rewind to the start of various chapters within each episode if you want to change halfway, and I believe there's an option to make a copy of your save so if you wanted to change a decision on episode 4 (for instance) you wouldn't need to replay the first three episodes just to do so. (Not entirely sure-- first time through is canon, everything else is on youtube.)

though you can kill them with magic..but it probably sucks if you use melee
Killing them with magic or ranged is slow and leaves you open to taking hits back. As a melee, just wait around a corner for them to walk up then, when they turn around and start to walk away, sprint up and backstab them. If it doesn't kill them, your follow-up will.

It's more fun to live with your choices, at least until you've finished the season.

I suggest not and just enjoy the story as you played it.

Once the final ep is done, a 2nd play through might be worth it, from my perspective, but I enjoyed talking to others about their experience and comparing it to mine quite a lot.

As said before, live with your choices at least until the season wraps. But you can also rewind to the start of various chapters within each episode if you want to change halfway, and I believe there's an option to make a copy of your save so if you wanted to change a decision on episode 4 (for instance) you wouldn't need to replay the first three episodes just to do so. (Not entirely sure-- first time through is canon, everything else is on youtube.)

Oh, I already plan doing so, I was just wondering if there were multiple branching paths or if it was just 5 either-or decisions along the way.

Ledsen

How do you mean "lack of feedback" and why does it make the game less satisfactory?

Salsa

How do you mean "lack of feedback" and why does it make the game less satisfactory?

so far ive encountered little reward for success, even when im playing alive instead of hollow. Must just be bad luck with the drops. I just feel like the game should be inmensily rewarding once you finally beat a big boss and such yet I dont feel it.

That said; it is getting more fun. Grinded a bit and just beat the Gargoyles with a pyro at lvl 32. I summoned a phantom though so I feel like I cheated :( fight would have been easy enough.

They didnt drop shit tho. Did manage to cut one of their tails since I knew that would drop an axe.

sPFd6.jpg

Damnit Salsa, this is all your fault.

Making me use Origin, ahhh it burns.

dont even know if im gonna get it now that I spent money on Dark Souls

Dascu

so far ive encountered little reward for success, even when im playing alive instead of hollow. Must just be bad luck with the drops. I just feel like the game should be inmensily rewarding once you finally beat a big boss and such yet I dont feel it.

That said; it is getting more fun. Grinded a bit and just beat the Gargoyles with a pyro at lvl 32. I summoned a phantom though so I feel like I cheated :( fight would have been easy enough.

They didnt drop shit tho. Did manage to cut one of their tails since I knew that would drop an axe.

The "reward" lies in the sense of achievement and accomplishment, not any loot drops or level up. That may not click with certain players.

NBtoaster

At that point the best rewards are in the environment not the enemies. And you are a tad overleveled.

Salsa

The "reward" lies in the sense of achievement and accomplishment, not any loot drops or level up. That may not click with certain players.

I get that. I love games were the sense of accomplishment comes from finally learning patterns and beating a big enemy. Im a big Monster Hunter fan and im really enjoying the aspects that this game shares.

It just hasnt reached THAT level yet. Could be a combination of being super early on + grinding for a bit too much thus making the game easy.

For the time being this last sitting was way more fun than when I first started, and the game is certainly addicting. It's safe to say that im enjoying it and that i'll keep at it, it's just that from the distance it seemed like the kinda game I would LOVE instantly. Might just take a bit.

zkylon

zkylewd
I get that. I love games were the sense of accomplishment comes from finally learning patterns and beating a big enemy. Im a big Monster Hunter fan and im really enjoying the aspects that this game shares.

It just hasnt reached THAT level yet. Could be a combination of being super early on + grinding for a bit too much thus making the game easy.

For the time being this last sitting was way more fun than when I first started, and the game is certainly addicting. It's safe to say that im enjoying it and that i'll keep at it, it's just that from the distance it seemed like the kinda game I would LOVE instantly. Might just take a bit.
The game has a couple of boss bottlenecks that really make that rewarding feeling hit home, specially if you go at them solo. There's cool loot in the game but it's often more tied to level design and lore than difficulty, so yeah, your reward is simply gonna be the awesome exploration and the sense accomplishment from overcoming some seemingly impossible-to-beat boss.

Salsa

yeah pretty sure I missed the first merchant

eh

You should just livestream the game, I loved helping people out through those for Demon Soul's and I've platinum'd the fuck out of both games.

might do later on

and man, people are worthless with the messages

"I did it!"

"praise the sun!"

Dark Souls got a lot better when I found out how to kick shit ;_; I just reached the Undead Parish and that
armoured boar
is giving me a hard time. Fuck him.

Salsa

Dark Souls got a lot better when I found out how to kick shit ;_; I just reached the Undead Parish and that
armoured boar
is giving me a hard time. Fuck him.

sprint past him and get on top of the stairs at the right. There's some dudes but after you kill them/kick them down you can use that small bridge to just shoot/bomb the boar from above till he dies without him touching you

Ledsen

sprint past him and get on top of the stairs at the right. There's some dudes but after you kill them/kick them down you can use that small bridge to just shoot/bomb the boar from above till he dies without him touching you

(Dark Souls boar spoiler)

You could do that, or...
simply lure him into the fire (with yourself or by throwing some bait in there) and he dies instantly :)

But that would require me to actually go and buy that stuff. I'm gonna take him head on! /dies like a bitch

Use piercing stuff, like arrows or spears.
For maximum risky, "try attacking from the rear" the boar for maximum butt-stabbing.

By the way, there's a very nice Dark Souls thread here, you know: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488088

Ah, that explains it. Finally my spear will come in handy. I tried to do what you suggested in the spoiler but he got me good.

I figured if there are already some people in this thread talking about it I might as well ask here but I guess the other thread has some more experienced people. :)

JustinBB7

The Big Picture Mode doesn't work under Win 8?

I think they said it was coming.

One of the main reasons I never switch to a new OS is because nothing is supported yet, programs don't work, games don't work. And it takes a long time for all those things to come, along with Windows updates it self, which are always needed.

(and you know... it's windows 8 so..)

Aguirre

confession: i havent bought a game since dark souls released on steam. i'm actually waiting for a few games to go on sale: borderlands 2 and arma 2 for dayz. how long do you think before either goes on a substantial sale?

beje

Banned
confession: i havent bought a game since dark souls released on steam. i'm actually waiting for a few games to go on sale: borderlands 2 and arma 2 for dayz. how long do you think before either goes on a substantial sale?

Most likely for Xmas

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ARMA 2: CO is still floating about the top of the Top Sellers list, so I expect the game to be discounted no greater than 40%, a la the Summer Sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom