• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This probably isn't the right place to ask this, but I'm afraid of seeing spoilers. Does The Walking Dead work well on a Macbook Pro (13" the cheapest one) from this year? I couldn't imagine it being very demanding.

Anyone have some recommended tweaks for running Fallout 3? I can't play the game at my monitors native resolution (1900x1200) without the framerate dropping down to 15-25 fps, which strikes me as being somewhat ludicrous given it's such a primitive looking game. I've got an Nvidia GTX 480, 6GB of ram and an i7 quad core, so I should be able to run this game without issue, shouldn't I? Unless there are issues related to Windows 7/64bit.

Fallout 3 runs alright at the resolution it defaults to, which I think was 1280x800, but I would much rather figure out why the game is running so poorly and fix that. Shutting off AA, multisampling, vsync and HDR bumped the framerate up to 20-30fps, but it still dips. I've been trying to find an answer on google but there are so many damned problems with this game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Anyone have some recommended tweaks for running Fallout 3? I can't play the game at my monitors native resolution (1900x1200) without the framerate dropping down to 15-25 fps, which strikes me as being somewhat ludicrous given it's such a primitive looking game. I've got an Nvidia GTX 480, 6GB of ram and an i7 quad core, so I should be able to run this game without issue, shouldn't I? Unless there are issues related to Windows 7/64bit.

Fallout 3 runs alright at the resolution it defaults to, which I think was 1280x800, but I would much rather figure out why the game is running so poorly and fix that. Shutting off AA, multisampling, vsync and HDR bumped the framerate up to 20-30fps, but it still dips. I've been trying to find an answer on google but there are so many damned problems with this game.

Fallout 3 is a little allergic to Windows 7, there is a .ini Fix which some users have claimed fixed their crashing and FPS problems with FO3 on Windows 7.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
GAF, I'm home alone right now, and with all lights turned off. What game do you recommend: Bioshock, Amnesia or Anna? I haven't played any one of them yet.

StuBurns

Banned
Including art design?
No, I really like the art for the most part, the hi-tech areas specifically, and it was especially nice to see id try to make something pretty for once.

I meant more it's game design, I thought all the hub/RPG/driving stuff was hollow, and effectively just separating the fun of the traditional combat levels. Doom 3 did a much better job in it's greater progression design I think.

I know a lot of GAF were down on it based on the leaks, but if Doom 4 is closer to 3 in structure and progression, Rage in moment to moment combat design, and it looks like that twisted City 17 in the leak, it could well be truly spectacular.

Fallout 3 is a little allergic to Windows 7, there is a .ini Fix which some users have claimed fixed their crashing and FPS problems with FO3 on Windows 7.

Yeah I tried that, even though that's a fix related to freezing and crashing, made no difference with the framerate which is simply ridiculously low.

Edit: The unsatisfying answer seems to be mid level settings and a lower resolution, now the game just spikes between 30-60 fps.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, going to try Amnesia then. My headphones are ready. Wish me luck guys, and someone please get some new pants ready!

Sarcasm

Odd I have almost same setup except I run with a gtx 670. 24 1920x1200 here. Steady 60 fps here.

Blizzard

Banned
Stupid question, is there any way to see a history of the gifts you have sent after they are gone from your inventory? I know you can see purchase history but I thought there used to be a way to see "sent X to Y person". Did the inventory get rid of that?

*edit* Ah yes. Even though the FAQ hotlinks seem to be broken on the Steam help site, I found the answer. You have to click pending gifts (even if there aren't any) and then click gift history.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
OK, so... I don't know what to say. It's not a game that can be easily described. If I had to use one word, it'll be "unsettling". If I'm allowed to use 3, "scary as fuck".

It's not scary due to zombies jumping in front of your face, it's pure psychological terror. Kinda like in F.E.A.R., but raised to the millionth power and after fooling around with steroids. The sounds and noises, the visual effects, the loss of control, everything in this game makes you want to cover your face with your hands and start screaming in real life. It's disorienting, you don't have a definite sense of where you are, or where you should go. The atmosphere is fantastic and completely drags you in, I don't have any idea how the developer managed to make something like this.

In the end, I lasted a little over an hour, but then I was suddenly killed. That was the perfect excuse to close the game, as it was actually starting to make me feel bad. I'd like to come back to it one day... during daytime, with all lights on, no headphones and several friends around me.

Blizzard

Banned
OK, so... I don't know what to say. It's not a game that can be easily described. If I had to use one word, it'll be "unsettling". If I'm allowed to use 3, "scary as fuck".

It's not scary due to zombies jumping in front of your face, it's pure psychological terror. Kinda like in F.E.A.R., but raised to the millionth power and after fooling around with steroids. The sounds and noises, the visual effects, the loss of control, everything in this game makes you want to cover your face with your hands and start screaming in real life. It's disorienting, you don't have a definite sense of where you are, or where you should go. The atmosphere is fantastic and completely drags you in, I don't have any idea how the developer managed to make something like this.

In the end, I lasted a little over an hour, but then I was suddenly killed. That was the perfect excuse to close the game, as it was actually starting to make me feel bad. I'd like to come back to it one day... during daytime, with all lights on, no headphones and several friends around me.
For some (possibly less scary) games, one tactic is to immediately let whatever is trying to kill you, kill you. In some games you might then realize oh, it's just kind of a cheesy monster dog thing, and I get a game over screen, that's not so bad. After doing that a few times, the psychological threat of a scary monster dog in the dark shouldn't be as bad.

However this might not work on Amnesia because the developers are probably evil. :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
For some (possibly less scary) games, one tactic is to immediately let whatever is trying to kill you, kill you. In some games you might then realize oh, it's just kind of a cheesy monster dog thing, and I get a game over screen, that's not so bad. After doing that a few times, the psychological threat of a scary monster dog in the dark shouldn't be as bad.

However this might not work on Amnesia because the developers are probably evil. :(
You know, I once thought about running into the dark, stand there and let the enemies or whatever they are kill me. But I didn't dare to do it, as the game becomes rather terrorific when your sanity meter is low. I don't think the problem is much about the enemies, it's more about your own head, and your character's. I hate horror movies because they are always so predictable, boring and stupid, but this game is what a GOOD horror film should be like, in an interactive form. And it made me realise I'm such a coward!

Odd I have almost same setup except I run with a gtx 670. 24 1920x1200 here. Steady 60 fps here.

Might be an issue with my gpu. I just tried to play Natural Selection 2, was getting single digit fps when it was fine earlier today. And then I tried to play Dishonored, which I've been playing without issue, and it was also super framey as well. I shutdown my computer, opened the tower and gave it a few blasts of canned air (been meaning to do that for a while). The reboot sorted out my framerate issues with Dishonored, pity I uninstalled Fallout 3. Jumped to a conclusion there.

Still if this issue creeps up again, it's likely my gpu is dying and needs to be replaced. Wonder if it's the fan, the card was super hot when I cleaned out the tower.

Indie Gala X:
http://www.indiegala.com/

Beat the average of $6.71 to get these games:

Steam:
Lead and Gold
Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition
Knights of Honor
Elven Legacy
Hearts of Iron II Complete
Majesty 2
East India Company

Desura:
Omegalodon
Praetorians

Also, I seriously have to stop buying games, but damn - should I bite on the Alan Wake CE + DLC for $10?! Or will it maybe get cheaper than that?

I'm gonna drop these keys later when I wake up:

Majesty 2
East India Company
Knights of Honor
Hearts Of Iron II
Elven Legacy
The Kings' Crusade

jediyoshi

What to play, what to play..

0xKKo.jpg

I'm curious if anyone is even playing Lead & Gold. Fun game but didn't have a sizable or active community last time I played it. It got a bump during a sale and then promptly died.

cicero

Indie Gala X:
http://www.indiegala.com/

Beat the average of $6.71 to get these games:

Steam:
Lead and Gold
Knights of Honor
Elven Legacy
Hearts of Iron II Complete
Majesty 2
East India Company

Desura:
Omegalodon
Praetorians

Also, I seriously have to stop buying games, but damn - should I bite on the Alan Wake CE + DLC for $10?! Or will it maybe get cheaper than that?
Praetorians doesn't redeem on Desura, you just get a DRM free version.

yaron777

So... I'm like halfway through 007 Legends and thought it was time to post my opinion on Metacritic. Sorry for spelling mistakes, but English isn't my native language.

First of all, I'm a big Bond fan. I've played almost every Bond game in existence and it's safe to say this is probably the worst one. And I thought it couldn't get worse than Goldeneye Reloaded (I didn't play the Wii version, but people liked this one).

Yesterday I would've given this game a 2. Why? Well, like every Activision game in the last couple of years (including Goldeneye Reloaded), it's a CoD clone. Nothing wrong with this, but this doesn't feel like Bond. Just another generic shooter. This is Activision's 2012 quick cash grab. You are suddenly dropped in the middle of a mission. If you're a Bond fan, like me, you know the story. But for someone that has only seen the movie once, I can understand that they don't know the story anymore. Even for me, the story wasn't immersive. I did not once feel like Bond in the entire game.

Now, back to today, I give this game a beautiful round score of 0. The bugs in this game are just the worst. Not only does my game freeze like every 2 hours but half of the achievements don't unlock. Today I encountered an even funnier bug. Some type of enemy actually had the Bond skin. I was literally killing myself. And thank God I don't have the bugs that other people have (game doesn't start, sound problems...)

This is a game that is on the same quality level as Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. The quality of the cutscenes is lower than those from a 2005 game.

Oh, and it's not even Daniel Craig that does the voice acting for Bond.

If you're a Bond fan, pick it up for $4.99. If not, best not to talk about this game ever again.

This game maybe deserves more than a score of 0/10. But if you destroy the Bond franchise, you get nothing from me.

Also, I know a lot of people like Goldeneye Reloaded, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Sorry if you disagree with me, but this is just my opinion.

Bond killing Bond (not my pic): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106202178

EDIT: direct linking doesn't work for the screenshot, here's the thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/211670/discussions/0/864950398844652971/

Vaporak

Why would you ruin your own experience like that! :(

I'm curious if anyone is even playing Lead & Gold. Fun game but didn't have a sizable or active community last time I played it. It got a bump during a sale and then promptly died.

Every sale it goes up ~10 players and goes down right after that. I have never seen a second server on that game with players.

So now Fallout 3 is running at a rock solid 60 fps in 1920x1200 with everything bumped up to high. Don't know if I should be happy that the game is running flawless now or disconcerted about that weird performance hit I had with a number of games.

Every sale it goes up ~10 players and goes down right after that. I have never seen a second server on that game with players.

That's a shame but not too surprising.

Giran

My Steam client no longer starts up along with Windows even though I have it enabled in the client and in msconfig. Weird.

Madridy

My Steam client no longer starts up along with Windows even though I have it enabled in the client and in msconfig. Weird.

Do you have the Beta client?

Because the same thing is happening to me, and realized that it was the beta client's daily updates are the cause.

Fitz

Do you have the Beta client?

Because the same thing is happening to me, and realized that it was the beta client's daily updates are the cause.

Same issue here, hopefully it'll get sorted soon, want to keep using the beta client.

MNC

Opting out removes the beta features, so it'll work again.

Technically, it is starting along with Windows except it crashes right after. Had the same problem; opting out fixed it.

Fitz

Any idea if you've installed games to a different drive than the one with the Steam installation (through the beta), would opting out cause problems? It's the only reason I'm using the beta at the moment really.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I decided to see what people were saying on the Steam forum for 007 Legends, a game I was sort of interested in since I loved Goldeneye. This is what I found:

• No controller support in any form.
  • Resolution locked to 720p and upscaled to whatever resolution the user chooses.
  • No graphical settings.
  • Mouse feels like ass.
  • No way to fix FOV which is ridiculously low.
Thank you based Internet.

But dammit, I wanted a good port.

Sigh, sometimes I wish reading the forums for a game would be mandatory before being able to push the buy button :)

Tower Wars looked so great and was described as having both SP and MP content. SP however is pretty much nonexistant (not even skirmish) and MP is allegedly broken and empty. Issues that I read on the forums after playing it for a while and being confused.

At least it was cheap -_-

JordanKZ

Won this yesterday, really can't stand the series. But I'm sure someone else will appreciate it!

Football Manager 2013 - quote to reveal.

Gala

Won this yesterday, really can't stand the series. But I'm sure someone else will appreciate it!

Football Manager 2013 - quote to reveal.

Thank you so much! My friends and me will have a lot of fun with it in during the coming weekends with lots of beer and pizza!

When I get paid in the middle of november, I'll get you something in return!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom