• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have 2 copies of Dota 2 to the first 2 people who PM me your email address. (does anyone still want this?)

Update: I've got 1 left for anyone who misses out on being named the biggest badass on gaf

Derrick01

Banned
Sooo Mark of the Ninja

Fitjy.gif

I'm about 3/4 through I think and it's pretty good. I still will not call it the best stealth game ever, maybe not even one of, but it's very good. And I will call it the best stealth game since Blood Money, and unlike when I semi-sarcastically said that about Dishonored, I mean it for this game.

Berto

It looks like Square is about to release a bunch of old titles on Steam. Tomb Raider (Chronicles and TLR) and Legacy of Kain (Defiance, Soul Reaver 1 & 2) seem to be in the registry.
Oh god yes! The Last Revelation is glorious.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just got 3 Dota 2 invites, first 3 PMs with e-mail (to send them to) get them.

Do not, absolutely do not respond in this thread asking for one and fill it with meaningless shit posts.

Edit - all gone, enjoy.

Caerith

Just got 3 Dota 2 invites, first 3 PMs with e-mail (to send them to) get them.

Do not, absolutely do not respond in this thread asking for one and fill it with meaningless shit posts.
It seems that a lot of people got Dota 2 invites today. I scrolled through my friends list to give them to three people who didn't have it and saw a lot of "Owns Dota 2 - gift" in that list.

DukeBobby

Sooo Mark of the Ninja

I'm about 3/4 through I think and it's pretty good. I still will not call it the best stealth game ever, maybe not even one of, but it's very good. And I will call it the best stealth game since Blood Money, and unlike when I semi-sarcastically said that about Dishonored, I mean it for this game.

Holy shit, this game must be amazing.

It seems that a lot of people got Dota 2 invites today. I scrolled through my friends list to give them to three people who didn't have it and saw a lot of "Owns Dota 2 - gift" in that list.
I wonder what determines who gets gift copies to give out. I've had Dota 2 for a long while now and never got extras to pass around.

HoosTrax

I wonder what determines who gets gift copies to give out. I've had Dota 2 for a long while now and never got extras to pass around.
Maybe Valve secretly examines your Friend list and checks how much money the people on it spend on things like Hats, before deciding whether to give you invites.

Yeah there's no one in my friends list with it on their want list so I dropped one in the free to a good home thread, and it's likely that the last 2 will be harder to gift. It's a great game if you've got a bit of time (for reading and watching how to play) and a thick skin (for when you do something wrong and get called all the names under the sun for it).

Lizardus

Just beaten Prototype 2. Felt more mainstream compared to the first both in good and bad ways. It's more polished but has less freedom to customize the main character, controls and movesets are similar but there's some tweak, you need no grind but it ends in 8/9 hours (client says 8, web says 9, in the first one I've spent a lot more time) even doing a bit of side missions, no particular threats from enemies and last boss is much easier.

If you liked the first one, the second is at least interesting to play.

How in the fuck did you fix/get past the slowdowns and CTDs? I know the CTDs are related to USB devices being plugged in but I would really appreciate what you did to fix that because I really like the gameplay in ths game and want to finish it.

On another note, I am thinking of picking up LOTR:War in the north for myself and couple of friends. Is the combat in that more like Dark Souls/Monster Hunter or Witcher 2? How is the customization and skill trees and etc? Thanks.

With these old games coming out on Steam, I would really love for SWAT4 for come to steam. That game was so much fun to play. I think only Amazon sells copies.

VALIS

Sooo Mark of the Ninja

Fitjy.gif

It's easily making my top-10 this year. Shit, top-5 maybe.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's easily making my top-10 this year. Shit, top-5 maybe.

Looking forward to snatching it up. Feel like missing out a bit with all that praise. Ah well.

A lot of people seem to think it is. I wouldn't go that far, but nothing is ambitious enough to amaze me anymore.

Play Dwarf Fortress if you havent yet and feel like the boundaries of what people perceive as feature depth in a game has been reached. Even if you feel jaded by everything else, DF will make you being in awe.

DF is the end of everything.

I have a DOTA 2 that I'm just going to give out like stale Halloween candy.

Let us play a game:

You shall PM me with reason as to why you are the world's most ridiculous badass, and then I shall decide who is the rightful heir of that title.

And the bounty is yours.

Lizardus

A lot of people seem to think it is. I wouldn't go that far, but nothing is ambitious enough to amaze me anymore.

Which do you think is the better of two games, Chaos Theory or Blood Money?

They execute stealth in different ways (social stealth vs hiding in shadows and gadgets). I am partial to Chaos Theory but I agree 100% that there hasnt been a stealth game as well executed as these two since their release. Evrything is just being casualized and simplified. I have preordered Hitman Absolution, here's hoping it doesnt suck too bad.

Derrick01

Banned
Which do you think is the better of two games, Chaos Theory or Blood Money?

They execute stealth in different ways (social stealth vs hiding in shadows and gadgets). I am partial to Chaos Theory but I agree 100% that there hasnt been a stealth game as well executed as these two since their release. Evrything is just being casualized and simplified. I have preordered Hitman Absolution, here's hoping it doesnt suck too bad.

Man that's a tough question. I don't think I can really compare the two since like you said they're different kinds of stealth. I guess I would give the slight edge to Blood Money because I prefer the multiple choice kills and being out in the open.

You and others will have to let me know about Absolution though. I had to bail out after too many bad impressions/reviews.

Lizardus

Man that's a tough question. I don't think I can really compare the two since like you said they're different kinds of stealth. I guess I would give the slight edge to Blood Money because I prefer the multiple choice kills and being out in the open.

You and others will have to let me know about Absolution though. I had to bail out after too many bad impressions/reviews.

I dont think it will be as bad as Conviction was. It will be a good game from what I've seen.

I think we need a stealth games OT. Or is there already one?

DukeBobby

Looks like Mark of the Ninja is next on my list of games to buy. It just needs to drop a little in price first (£11.99 is a little steep).

I've not heard any bad impressions or reviews yet. Everything has been positive so far. Even Guesong, whose impressions appeared to have created all of the negativity in the recent Hitman thread, actually liked the game.

Derrick01

Banned
I've not heard any bad impressions or reviews yet. Everything has been positive so far. Even Guesong, whose impressions appeared to have created all of the negativity in the recent Hitman thread, actually liked the game.

There's been a ton of bad stuff, they're just wrapped up in typical AAA 90% scores. Just about every review said the levels are smaller, more linear in a lot of spots and full of checkpoints. That's the worst thing you could do to a Hitman game. Guesong had never played a hitman game before that so it's not reasonable to expect him to know that's not good for the series. I am glad he gave the impressions though.

Berto

My god, dat Walking Dead 2nd episode! It was amazing! GOTY material right there! :eek: How are the next two in comparison?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I feel ashamed to admit it because many stealth purists can read this, but I just finished my first playthrough of Hitman 2 and it wasn't very stealthy. In fact, I'd say it was more like Max Payne than Hitman. Nice game, though I don't recall Blood Money being so unforgiving.

Lizardus

I feel ashamed to admit it because many stealth purists can read this, but I just finished my first playthrough of Hitman 2 and it wasn't very stealthy. In fact, I'd say it was more like Max Payne than Hitman. Nice game, though I don't recall Blood Money being so unforgiving.

Haha, the pre-BM hitmans are pretty unforgiving and sometimes rely on luck rather than skill.

Have you played any splinter cells? Dont start with Chaos Theory. Play first three in order.

DukeBobby

Hitman 2 is pretty brutal, and the AI can be absolutely ridiculous at times. I can't imagine that many people were stealthy on their first playthrough.

Have you played Hitman: Contracts yet?

My god, dat Walking Dead 2nd episode! It was amazing! GOTY material right there! :eek: How are the next two in comparison?

It was the best in my opinion even though it was sort of cliche, 3 and 4 are good but not as tense.

4 felt pretty rushed to me as well.

Just finished playing Hitman: Blood Money, and my god what a ride. This is my first time playing a Hitman game, and I'll be damned if I wasn't impressed by it. My only prior experience with stealth games are Splinter Cell: Conviction and MGS4, and to be perfectly honest, neither of those are much of a stealth game to begin with.

If Absolution is anything like this game, then it could very well be my GOTY this year.

Lizardus

Yeah, my message its on there and I'm sure yours too. It was cool.

Mine too.

That was pretty cool to see. Wasn't /v/ planning a tour of valve HQ too? Why can't gaben have an office in Canada?

ReverseFate said:
Just finished playing Hitman: Blood Money, and my god what a ride. This is my first time playing a Hitman game, and I'll be damned if I wasn't impressed by it. My only prior experience with stealth games are Splinter Cell: Conviction and MGS4, and to be perfectly honest, neither of those are much of a stealth game to begin with.

If Absolution is anything like this game, then it could very well be my GOTY this year.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory bro, you will not be disappointed.

Cramoss

Mine too.

That was pretty cool to see. Wasn't /v/ planning a tour of valve HQ too? Why can't gaben have an office in Canada?

They went there and delivered the card in person among other things and gifts if this is the tour that you're talking about.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, the pre-BM hitmans are pretty unforgiving and sometimes rely on luck rather than skill.

Have you played any splinter cells? Dont start with Chaos Theory. Play first three in order.
I only played the first one. It was good, but by the end I was growing tired of it. I still finished it, and I'm glad I did. I began playing stealthily, but several missions in I found that to be very difficult, so I resorted to guns whenever I couldn't pass otherwise. As I always say, I like stealth games, it's a really nice genre, but I totally suck at them.

Hitman 2 is pretty brutal, and the AI can be absolutely ridiculous at times. I can't imagine that many people were stealthy on their first playthrough.

Have you played Hitman: Contracts yet?
Nope, it ain't on Steam and I didn't get it before. I played Blood Money some years ago, and now I picked up the collection on Steam. Played the first 2 or 3 missions of Codename 47, didn't like it at all, and did as a GAFfer suggested me: I watched a Let's Play of it. I heard lots of good things about Contracts, I hope that song copyright gets cleared so it can see a Steam (or GOG, I wouldn't mind) release.

Grief.exe

FTL is amazing and will provide you with countless hours of entertainment. Binary Domain is a shooter.

Is FTL on sale or something?

Splinter Cell Blacklist is shaping up to be the best stealth game of all time.

I seriously hope you picked up on the sarcasm :)

Hellix

So, the MSRP dropped to $9.99 for Sine Mora on GMG. I got this on Steam at $15, since I had money in my Steam Wallet. They took the price off on Steam... I hope I get some money back in my wallet if it indeed dropped to $9.99.

Also, I got 3 extra copies of Dota 2 if anyone wants them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom