• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

Hasn't Amazon had Steam versions of quite a few non-Steamworks games? Could be another one of those, I'd be happy if it was Steamworks but since Ubi have Uplay I can't see it happening.

Derrick01

Banned
I wish I knew a week ago AC3 was going to be steamworks. I could have gotten a playable version of the game and reduced in price somewhere :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hasn't Amazon had Steam versions of quite a few non-Steamworks games? Could be another one of those, I'd be happy if it was Steamworks but since Ubi have Uplay I can't see it happening.

Yeah, the Lego games are such examples. I'm not aware of any Ubi games being sold as Steam keys, however, outside of RUSE and Zeit2. (Edit: And Bloody Good Time.)

I wish I knew a week ago AC3 was going to be steamworks. I could have gotten a playable version of the game and reduced in price somewhere :(

It's not Steamworks; Steam activation isn't mentioned anywhere else. Amazon may be selling Steam keys of the game, but that remains to be seen.

def sim

You folks are probably right. It's just that, after seeing the console version, I'm thinking there's no way it can be worse than that.

Having steamworks would have made me more confident about my choice though. Uplay makes me think they're going to mess this up somehow.

Derrick01

Banned
It's not Steamworks; Steam activation isn't mentioned anywhere else. Amazon may be selling Steam keys of the game, but that remains to be seen.

It's too bad Tony's gone now. I always wanted to know what sorcery Amazon used to get steam keys for so many non steamworks games.

def sim

Regarding AC3

Tony at CAG said:
Hey guys,

I was going to announce this today...but the sleuths beat me to it.

We will now be distributing Steam keys for the Deluxe version, these will also include the Season Pass. Also, we take pre-orders for games before Steam has a page up all the time. Just like NBA2K13, XCOM, Borderlands 2, etc.

Cheers,
Tony

Well, there's that.

JaseC

It's too bad Tony's gone now. I always wanted to know what sorcery Amazon used to get steam keys for so many non steamworks games.

xZynF.jpg

But with the desired result. :p

Edit:
Regarding AC3

Well, there's that.

Ah, nice.

Publishers can just request them at Valve. Valve is happy to supply them to up their userbase. If Amazon can go to a publisher and say "we can sell X percent more of your games if it is Steamworks" they have a good reason to do it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
BioShock Infinite pre-order is R$44,99 (US$22) in the Brazilian Steam.

Ooooooh boy.

Edit: Awww, it changes back to the correct price on checkout, haha.

louiedog

Saw on CAG that Steam codes for Valve titles are 75% off at Gamefly right now + another 20% with code BETATHANKS. HL2 for $2, episodes for $1.59. $4 for the L4D games and Portal 2. Plus a couple more.

link

Saw on CAG that Steam codes for Valve titles are 75% off at Gamefly right now + another 25% with code BETATHANKS. HL2 for $2, episodes for $1.59. $4 for the L4D games and Portal 2. Plus a couple more.

link

HL2 is 2.5$ and L4D is 5$ for me, is that a regional thing?
Edit:
I haven't noticed the coupon on your post. Sorry.

JaseC

Is that US only? I can't find it.

Yes, GameFly is US-only, and if you (a user outside of the US) attempt to order using a false US address, it will be cancelled due to "inconsistencies" and your account closed. nofunallowed.jpg

Santiako

Yes, GameFly is US-only, and if you (a user outside of the US) attempt to order using a false US address, it will be cancelled due to "inconsistencies" and your account closed. nofunallowed.jpg

They have a UK site too, I've bought games there (Spec Ops was the last one), I'm asking about that particular offer.

They have a UK site too, I've bought games there (Spec Ops was the last one), I'm asking about that particular offer.

I think a willing American can be found on these forums to do the required transaction for you and send you the key if you send them the money and the fees. It is a key after all.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Democracy 2 sounds like a less fun Tropico.

Seriously, if you want to be a president or something, go play Tropico 4 with expansion.

Also between FTL and BD? BD.

Nabs

Wow. They are giving anyone who pre-ordered Sine Mora on Steam a second copy due to the price change. It should go live soon.

If anyone wants to be a friend...

Thanks for pre-purchasing Sine Mora.

Due to a recent unexpected price change, we're giving you a 2nd copy of the game for you to share with a friend.

To share your extra copy with a friend, visit the 'LIBRARY' tab in Steam or click the button below.

It sucks that GTA Complete Pack isn't sold on Steam anymore.

I was planning to gift it to my brother. Maybe I'll get GTAIV: Complete Edition for him.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It's sucks that GTA Complete Pack isn't sold on Steam anymore.

I was planning to gift it to my brother. Maybe I'll get GTIV: Complete Edition for him.

Whoa really? Glad I got it during the sale. Something like $8 thanks to our EU friends. Criminally cheap

MRORANGE

From another thread:

use code BETATHANKS for 20% off

http://www.gamefly.com/download-gam...0&cid=vlvgf110612&stop_mobi=once#.UJlOHW_A9co

Prices before 20% off (notes taken from CAG):

Team Fortress Classic $1.25 (You must activate this product via the Internet by registering for a Steam account and accepting the SSA.)
Half-Life 2: Episode 1 $1.99 (This title installs and requires Steamworks to play.)
Half-Life 2: Episode Two $1.99
Half-Life 2 $2.49 (You must activate this product via the Internet by registering for a Steam account and accepting the SSA.)
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero $2.49 (This title installs and requires Steamworks to play.)
Portal 2 $4.99 (This title installs and requires Steamworks to play.)
Left 4 Dead $4.99 (This title installs and requires Steamworks to play.)
Left 4 Dead 2 $4.99 (This title installs and requires Steamworks to play.)

You are a terrible person if you do not own these games.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You're still giving away that copy of Dark Souls, though. Right Nabs?

I can't believe people haven't PM'd you yet.

allansm

I managed to buy twice from them using a fake address and a non-existent phone number.

Even Condition Zero? :p

Wait a second I have Condition Zero. I don't have Half Life games since they are only good for mods and the mods don't require them anyway nowadays. And I don't have Left 4 Dead 1 since GAF convinced me that 2 is an improved version of 1 so I don't need it.

JaseC

I managed to buy twice from them using a fake address and a non-existent phone number.

Was the first order achieved recently? I tried to purchase something about a month ago and the order was frozen until they could confirm my billing information. I decided to send an e-mail stating that while the address details are false, the order itself is legit as I'm an international customer. The next morning, I received a cookie-cutter response stating that my order had been cancelled due to "inconsistencies", and the website now displays a "Your account has been closed. Contact support for assistance." (or words to such effect) message. It seems that Gamefly now requires manual confirmation of new accounts and you're out of luck if you're not actually in the US.

allansm

Was the first order achieved recently? I tried to purchase something about a month ago and the order was frozen until they could confirm my billing information. I decided to send an e-mail stating that while the address details are false, the order itself is legit as I'm an international customer. The next morning, I received a cookie-cutter response stating that my order had been cancelled due to "inconsistencies", and the website now displays a "Your account has been closed. Contact support for assistance." (or words to such effect) message. It seems that Gamefly now requires manual confirmation of new accounts and you're out of luck if you're not actually in the US.

My first purchase was around the same time. My order was frozen for like 6-7 hours to confirm the billing information and then went through. I think the fact it was a sunday helped.

JaseC

My first purchase was around the same time. My order was frozen for like 6-7 hours to confirm the billing information and then went through. I think the fact it was a sunday helped.

Clearly my order fell onto the lap of the wrong CSR. :( Oh well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wait, since when have Valve titles been available for digital purchase outside of Steam? Weird. Anyways, some day I really should get around to buying and playing the original Half-Life. I've heard good things about it.

EDIT - Oh wait, HL1 isn't even part of the sale. Pass.

JaseC

Wait, since when have Valve titles been available for digital purchase outside of Steam? Weird. Anyways, some day I really should get around to buying and playing the original Half-Life. I've heard good things about it.

For years via EADM (now Origin), and I believe both Gamefly and Impulse began selling Valve games earlier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom