• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

1. Garbage loot is the new industry standard. Devs think people like it for some bizarre reason, but drowning in shitty weapons isn't fun in Torchlight II, Borderlands 2, or Darksiders II. It just feels tedious.
But TL2 and BL2 are supposed to be loot games. DS2 isn't really, that's why it feels tacked on.

Miker

Little offtopic but is there any app that lets me adjust mouse sensitivity on a per game base?

Some games (like Borderlands 2) just don't go low enough with their ingame sensititvity for me. My DPI is already at the lowest setting (450 DPI) by default so lowering it to compensate is no option.

I'd say create an alternate profile in your mouse drivers and assign it to borderlands2.exe.

EDIT: Update to Metro 2033, if anybody cares --

I just uninstalled it. I reloaded my save in town (not manual save, but more like chapter select) and bought body armor instead of the uber pistol I bought last time around. Unless I'm missing something, there's no real indication that the body armor guy is a vendor besides the body armor laying next to him, and a player could easily mistake that as scenery. I found him purely by luck because I was going to around to every NPC and seeing who was a vendor.

Anyway, I sat through 5 of first-person cutscenage and played up until the point where I got stuck previously. And lo and behold, somehow the patrol had already discovered me, so I decided to start shooting, thinking I would be able to fight through them with my new body armor. I died because three guys rushed through the doorway and shot me to bits. So I die. Then I load my checkpoint.

And would ya believe it, my load left me right when the three guys rush through the doorway. That means I'm already in combat again, and as soon as I spawn, there's three guys ready to shoot me. And if I kill them, there's still 10+ enemies left to kill, which I just don't want to deal with at all. It doesn't help that I once shot a guy six times in the shoulder with a shotgun and he died on the seventh shot.

So, yeah. Metro 2033.

Caerith

Well, I'll say this much for the new Steam Community: it's interesting seeing screenshots from other regions. For instance, Yesterday, the adventure game from Pendulo? It's basically about murder, torture, and satanism, but has less blood than Wreck It Ralph.

Then I saw some screenshots from Russia. Graphic depictions of blood and death
and nipples
. Pretty much all the stuff that the game's about but was missing from my (North American) playthrough. No wonder it only takes like 5 hours to beat: they cut everything rated PG13 and up.

Now I know what Germany feels like.

Ledsen

Quoting myself for a new page, wondering if it's worth finishing Metro 2033:

Very much so. One of my favorite FPS of all time. The atmosphere and immersion is almost unparallelled in gaming. It's a combination of lore (post-apocalyptic Russian underground society), environment graphics, animations (especially everything concerning the gas mask) and sound design (weapon sounds are amazing). A completely unique experience that no one should miss imo. It's also very interesting how there are two different ending depending on how you act in the game, but they never tell you about it, so you don't have a shitty immersion-ruining "light/dark" meter like in most games. Love it. Are you playing on Ranger? Always play on Ranger to make the enemies take less bullets to kill.

So, for tomorrow anyone want to split the THQ pack from the Amazon sale?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
Warhammer: Space Marine
Red Faction: Armageddon
Red Faction: Guerrilla

Homefront
Metro 2033

Only need the bolded games.

xJavonta

Banned
I'm on the verge of buying Awesomenauts. Played it since there's a free weekend and holy shit is it awesome. It's like League of Legends, but not shit.

Tizoc

They quite overhauled the UI/turn-based mechanics mostly in the engine in Empire and later. Rome and M2 share a similar engine in that case, and similar UI elements.

The UI isn't exactly going to be a hard fight but you might miss some quality of life stuff they have in Empire and onwards if you move back, but it's similar enough that it isn't a huge deal.

Gameplay-wise, it might still vary on era. Most people enjoy Rome for variety, M2 as well, S2 is probably more balanced but I'm not really versed on S2/FOTS gameplay. Empire/Napoleon is pretty much all muskets and cannons if that's your thing. I thought it was fun but some don't like it. Naval battles weren't something I was that great with either, so nothing to say to that (Empire and onwards).

So all in all the game's are overall good but it comes down to one's preference in historical era? Thanks, hopefully they'll go on sale so I can pick some of them up eventually.

Forkball

Steam's updates are cripplingly slow sometimes. Especially for War of the Roses, I have to restart Steam several times before it downloads the whole file. The new Dota update won't even start either.

Gibbo

Hey guys, I've got a spare Civ 5 key from Xcom. Anyone wants to trade it for anything? (long shot but I'm looking for Skyrim). Will probably give it away if I don't get a response over the next 2 days- watch this space

Oh man, I bought Hitman: Absolution.

It happened so fast, I just remember reading that the GMG voucher would expire and... and then... I had already spent the money.

I found much of the skill tree to be worthless. For instance, there's Death's Allure, which is supposed to offer the effect of enemies attacking your summoned ghouls rather than you... but this is useless, as they'll focus on your ghouls regardless, even if you're right beside them, slashing away.

I was afraid this would be the case but I can't say I'm surprised. I'm not sure what they were exactly going for or if they expected the game to sell more if they add more and more stuff. No wonder they needed it to sell such ridiculous amounts when they wasted resources on useless shit. It's a huge bummer though because at its core it is fantastic. Death moves in such a satisfying beast-like manner and the combat is a noticeable step-up from DSI. But that damn loot system D:

1. Garbage loot is the new industry standard. Devs think people like it for some bizarre reason, but drowning in shitty weapons isn't fun in Torchlight II, Borderlands 2, or Darksiders II. It just feels tedious.

2. Dead Rising 2 should be played in co-op. It's hilarious and wonderful and crazy. I had such a great time. So many great memories <3 <3

1. I agree. Total waste of time for anybody involved as far as I'm concerned.

2. Probably. I'm just not convinced that it'll hold up in the long run, it seems rather basic.

zkylon

zkylewd
Quoting myself for a new page, wondering if it's worth finishing Metro 2033:
In many respects you're right, I didn't find the gameplay to be tight enough to be enjoyable, and I kept wishing I was giving some freedom to explore stuff at my own pace, but it's still a game worth playing to the end, only because the atmosphere, the story (it's pretty simple but I really liked it) and the gasmask sequences are so great.

Well, I'll say this much for the new Steam Community: it's interesting seeing screenshots from other regions. For instance, Yesterday, the adventure game from Pendulo? It's basically about murder, torture, and satanism, but has less blood than Wreck It Ralph.

and nipples
. Pretty much all the stuff that the game's about but was missing from my (North American) playthrough. No wonder it only takes like 5 hours to beat: they cut everything rated PG13 and up.

Huh. I didn't know it was censored. Guess that explains why they wanted to ditch working under publishers and crowd fund their next game instead. Which looked to be similarly adult and dark (Day One). But... they didn't go on kickstarter so it failed miserably, and now their newest "game" is a hidden object themed Runaway spin-off on ios...

robotnik

and nipples

;) Well, my playtime isn't long too - 4.9 hrs. And sadly for me:
Russian is the only language available in Russia

coopolon

Metro 2033 is very much worth finishing. The last two levels are the best levels of the game, I really like how the story ends, and it isn't even that long is it? I can sympathize with frustration in the stealth portions though, they are pretty shifty.

Twinduct

Oh man, I bought Hitman: Absolution.

It happened so fast, I just remember reading that the GMG voucher would expire and... and then... I had already spent the money.

The same fucking thing happened to me! Although it was that whole 'Get X amount of money back' .. in this case it was 10 dorras.

Ok, Tropico 4 is really cheap now on Steam (about 6 dollars - my price shows brazilian reais).

Never played a Tropico game before. How good is it?

Is it more like civilization? age of empires? sim city? Thanks in advance for the help :)

allansm

Ok, Tropico 4 is really cheap now on Steam (about 6 dollars - my price shows brazilian reais).

Is it more like civilization? age of empires? sim city? Thanks in advance for the help :)

Of those games you listed, it's closer to Sim City, but it's not exactly like it. Have you played any of the Anno games or Dawn of Discovery? If yes, it's similar to them. Like in Sim City, you manage and build a city from scratch, but in tropico the funds come from exportation of the goods you produce. So, besides attending the needs of your citizens, you also need to create an efficient production chain.

Lanark

Played the game over 50 hours, so yeah, I would say it's good. I'd never played tropico before either, and I was really pleasantly surprised. It's more like Sim City than the other games, there is for all intents and purposes no combat in the game. Surprisingly the best thing about the game is the atmosphere, really laid back and funny. I can really recommend the game.

I believe there is a demo on steam, so you could just check that out (although for me it took some time until I understood all the mechanisms and I really started enjoying it).

Of those games you listed, it's closer to Sim City, but it's not exactly like it. Have you played any of the Anno games or Dawn of Discovery? If yes, it's similar to them. Like in Sim City, you manage and build a city from scratch, but in tropico the funds come from exportation of the goods you produce. So, besides attending the needs of your citizens, you also need to create an efficient production chain.

Played the game over 50 hours, so yeah, I would say it's good. I'd never played tropico before either, and I was really pleasantly surprised. It's more like Sim City than the other games, there is for all intents and purposes no combat in the game. Surprisingly the best thing about the game is the atmosphere, really laid back and funny. I can really recommend the game.

I believe there is a demo on steam, so you could just check that out (although for me it took some time until I understood all the mechanisms and I really started enjoying it).

Thanks to both for the help.

Will probably buy it then :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom