• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have nostalgia for it from the Dreamcast days? Otherwise I really don't see how anyone can enjoy the game.
Never having played the Dreamcast version, I played the tutorial and the first two levels on the PC port and liked it. I stopped playing because after 2 crashes I became frustrated (it wasn't due to the reboot problem). I definitely want to go back to it when I finish playing a couple of other games.

Somebody talk me out of pre-ordering Hitman: Absolution.
Sorry, I can't. I could do with a Steam friend for the Contracts mode.

cicero

Both gone already :(

And they didn't even bother to thank Letters or even say that they took the codes.. How wonderful of them.

For the lazy ungrateful bastard(s) who didn't bother, thank you for your gift to fellow community members, Letters.

Blizzard

Banned
Do you have nostalgia for it from the Dreamcast days? Otherwise I really don't see how anyone can enjoy the game.

A friend of mine played the game for the first time on PC and he seemed to enjoy the game despite it's aging, as long as you keep in mind that the gameplay has aged, it's still an overall enjoyable experience and the atmosphere can really bring someone into the game.
I think for $3.75 it's worth the risk.
I never played the original games, and I still thought the gameplay and even the graphics were pretty cool on PC. I don't have nostalgia for the music, but the game itself seems solid.

And they didn't even bother to thank Letters or even say that they took the codes.. How wonderful of them.

For the lazy ungrateful bastard(s) who didn't bother, thank you for your gift to fellow community members, Letters.

Sadly this metod isn't working :(
I think it would be better (and more bothersome) to give the codes on PMs.

Twie

I can't buy anything from Green Man Gaming because my bank doesn't allow it.
Anyone want to buy Lord of the Rings War of the North for me and I can pay you pack via Paypal? :)
It's only $3.75.

cicero

I have something to give away.

Eufloria - Gone
Crayon Physics
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Cogs
Swords & Soldiers HD
Zen Bound 2

You want a game for free? PM me and make sure u voted GOTY Walking Dead in Spike TV Videogame Award.

Thank you for Swords & Soldiers HD! Walking Dead better win now!@#

Tambini

soooo, lord of the rings : war in the north any good?

It was pretty fun in co op, I played it to completion at least. Problem is the connection lag sometimes and the fact you cannot disable voice chat in game so you have to use the games shitty one, and it echos when you go into a cave for "effect" but is just really annoying and bad quality.

Blablurn

It was pretty fun in co op, I played it to completion at least. Problem is the connection lag sometimes and the fact you cannot disable voice chat in game so you have to use the games shitty one, and it echos when you go into a cave for "effect" but is just really annoying and bad quality.

i guess alone its not so interesting?

masterkajo

I am playing Saints Row The Third now and I do have a small question: Is there a way to skip or remember the choice of DX9 or DX10/11? I am asking because when I use Steam's BPM it still comes up at the beginning before the game starts and I have to stand up go to my other room and use the mouse to select the option. Everything else works fine with a controller. This makes the switching to SR:TT after playing another game a bit of a hassle.

EDIT: Ha, found a solution! Since steam launches "game_launcher.exe" I just renamed "saintsrowthethird_dx11.exe" to "game_launcher.exe". Works. If anyone is interested :)

KNT-Zero

Let me say, I dunno if Jet Set Radio is reaaaaally worth more than the 3 bucks it's costing now...

Bought, played for like 4 hours... and I got many moments in which I got really confused and even desperate...

It lacks polishment, not only because it's not really HD (more like "only widescreen", take for example (the trees in "16bit mode"), but because it needs more feedback to the player (like how to know where the graffittis that u should go to), the controls are sloppy and imprecise most of the time and the music twists my nerve (this is coming from I guy who actually knows who Naganuma is and one who fully enjoyed Sonic Rush because of his work).

My veredict? Yeah, 3 bucks is a good claim, but don't expect fireworks. Just a nice looking arcade Sega almost-direct port, though very rough by the edges.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The controls are very precise, they just aren't of the format a modern player would expect.

KNT-Zero

The controls are very precise, they just aren't of the format a modern player would expect.

Really? I play with a 360 controller, which should help a bit on that aspect... but no, sir!
Also, it doesn't help that when you are grinding a rail, you lose speed and when you try to get out of the rail you can't help but to get back on it.

It's just little things like that that get me :/

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Tomorrow's Amazon deals

1. Fifa Manager 2013 (Origin): $15.99
2. Forge 2-Pack (Steam at launch still in beta): $14.99
3. Forge 4-Pack (Steam at launch still in beta): $24.99
4. Hotline Miami (Steam Key): $7.49
5. Starcraft II Wings of Liberty: $20
6. The Tantaling THQ Medley: $9.99 contains (all steam keys):

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
Warhammer: Space Marine
Red Faction: Armageddon
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Homefront
Metro 2033

Tomorrow's Amazon deals

1. Fifa Manager 2013 (Origin): $15.99
2. Forge 2-Pack (Steam at launch still in beta): $14.99
3. Forge 4-Pack (Steam at launch still in beta): $24.99
4. Hotline Miami (Steam Key): $7.49
5. Starcraft II Wings of Liberty: $20
6. The Tantaling THQ Medley: $9.99 contains (all steam keys):

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
Warhammer: Space Marine
Red Faction: Armageddon
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Homefront
Metro 2033

Mmm S.T.A.L.K.E.R
I missed it on Steam due to being... busy... but this time it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

Thanks for the heads up.

ArjanN

Oh we're doing codes again.

Reply if you want LEGENDARY: THE BOX

I'll take legendary.

Interested in seeing how much of a trainwreck it really is.

Really? I play with a 360 controller, which should help a bit on that aspect... but no, sir!
Also, it doesn't help that when you are grinding a rail, you lose speed and when you try to get out of the rail you can't help but to get back on it.

It's just little things like that that get me :/

It's the difference between quickly pressing the button and holding it down longer.

Sober

How're the Total War games on Steam? Thinking of getting some of them.
Do you like any particular era? If so, grab that.

If you don't really care, two options: play Shogun2/FOTS or go in sequential order or release (Rome -> M2 -> Empire/Napoleon -> Shogun/FOTS), otherwise going in reverse you lose a lot of UI stuff that is better in later games.

Tizoc

Do you like any particular era? If so, grab that.

If you don't really care, two options: play Shogun2/FOTS or go in sequential order or release (Rome -> M2 -> Empire/Napoleon -> Shogun/FOTS), otherwise going in reverse you lose a lot of UI stuff that is better in later games.

Nah to me it's all about gameplay, but is the UI in the older games tedious to get used to or work with?

Miker

Quoting myself for a new page, wondering if it's worth finishing Metro 2033:

METRO 2033 RAGE INCOMING

I just got done with a session of Metro 2033 and I'm pretty ticked off at the game. I'm at a stealth sequence - a pretty long one - and it just checkpointed me immediately after I stepped on some crushed glass or somehow otherwise alerted a patrol.

As a result, as soon as I load my checkpoint, enemies come looking for me and start shooting. I shoot back, but there's about a dozen of them, maybe even more. What's worse is that they're ridiculously well-armored, and it takes 2-3 shotgun rounds at point blank to kill any of them. Going for headshots isn't much of an improvement because they all have helmets, and I'm a shitty shot with my controller*. What's cool is that they can be downed relatively quickly if you shoot them in their shoulders or other unarmored regions, but that's not that feasible because they have good aim and your vision goes crazy when you get shot.

I turned it down to easy and just shot people for a good half hour, but I still managed to get mowed down when more reinforcements arrived, or when a machine gun trolley thing drove past me in the tunnel I had to go through.

Did I mention that I somehow ran out of gas mask filters on an above-ground, and then I had to play through a toxic gas section without my gasmask? Luckily I was able to sprint to a "clean" area, but it was still worrying.

I want to love this game, and I do - it has some amazing design and aesthetic choices - but the insane amount of first-person cutscenes and "follow me" sequences, and now this stealth section and its shitty checkpointing are really putting me off. Is it worth it to try and finish Metro, or should I move on?

*I'm playing on a controller despite being a m/kb guy because the m/kb support is bullshit. The mouse's x-axis sensitivity is higher than the y-axis', and I can't find a way to change it. And if you have your controller plugged in, your m/kb still works, but all the prompts are for the controller. It's pretty damn annoying if you have your controller plugged in 24/7 like I do.

Sober

Nah to me it's all about gameplay, but is the UI in the older games tedious to get used to or work with?
They quite overhauled the UI/turn-based mechanics mostly in the engine in Empire and later. Rome and M2 share a similar engine in that case, and similar UI elements.

The UI isn't exactly going to be a hard fight but you might miss some quality of life stuff they have in Empire and onwards if you move back, but it's similar enough that it isn't a huge deal.

Gameplay-wise, it might still vary on era. Most people enjoy Rome for variety, M2 as well, S2 is probably more balanced but I'm not really versed on S2/FOTS gameplay. Empire/Napoleon is pretty much all muskets and cannons if that's your thing. I thought it was fun but some don't like it. Naval battles weren't something I was that great with either, so nothing to say to that (Empire and onwards).

vall03

just saw Jet Set Radio for $4.99 on GMG, then $3.75 with a voucher code, bought! Never played it before, but its one of the games on Dreamcast that I really wanted to try out.

Metro is a game worth experiencing to the end. I can understand your frustration with the checkpointing and stealth because I seem to remember that I got screwed in a similar way back when I played it. Just persevere through it if you can because the atmosphere of the game is pretty memorable. And while the game might resemble other shooters mechanically, it has a unique and distinctive artistic vision that you will just not see in other such games. There are definitely some annoying sections ahead of you, especially if you haven't reached the Library, but the annoyances are insignificant in the overall game experience.

Rapstah

I don't think you've come far enough to decide before you've played the opening minute of the "Battlefield" chapter more than thirty times in a row. If you are still playing the game after that you might as well finish it, and if you quit, then you've quit. Even the Marx himself couldn't survive on ideal alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom