• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZNova

The wonders of GFWL. If it wasn't for other people having the same issues I'd suggest checking your password again. GFWL isn't exactly that... "precise" in telling you what the problem is.

I eventually managed to wangle my way to a status page that confirmed that yes, live is all kinds of fucked out right now.

kafiend

I eventually managed to wangle my way to a status page that confirmed that yes, live is all kinds of fucked out right now.

Anything (I include Steam in this) that is a potential barrier between a gamer and their games needs to make "not be a barrier under any circumstances" their number one priority. Steam is just a pain in the ass occasionally but GFWL and UPlay are nightmares.

fallout

of course it's steams fault. If they green light your game and work with you to develop it and they hire their best developers to make your game they are taking responsibility for what they create with you.

At this point it has nothing to do with the original developers once they green light your game and develop it they are taking full custodial of your rights and developlong the game for themselves and for the community and when they green light it that means they are going to make it.
*twitch*

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are you joking? (Half-Life 2)

It's most likely because most of us Steam owners already have it.

There seems to be a bug. Either you see Half-Life 2 listed in the Top Sellers as #4 or you don't see it listed at all.

JustinBB7

Doesn't it work by most money made and not most units sold or something? Can't remember. If it's money made than a 3 something euro game that everybody already has won't really move up in the top 20..

JaseC

Doesn't it work by most money made and not most units sold or something? Can't remember. If it's money made than a 3 something euro game that everybody already has won't really move up in the top 20..

Yeah, the list is ordered by revenue, not per-unit sales.

Edit: Holy ancient browser tab, Batman.

JaseC

And to top it off, Hydrophobia is the Daily ($1.25/-75%). Monumentally disappointing all around.

Edit: Beaten.

Edit 2: And to be clear, I'm not saying that the games themselves are "monumentally disappointing", it's just that they don't tempt me (...on the count of me already owning them, aside from the GoT RPG, which is still priced too high for my liking).

Blizzard

Banned
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is the other Midweek Madness ($3.99, 50% off).
I recommend this game. It is neat-looking game, and a relaxing point and click I guess? It can take a little while, and if you don't like the low-resolution graphics or slow pace you might not like it.

One of my friends apparently got stuck with some sort of bug where they couldn't use their sword early though. I'm not sure if they ever managed to get past that part. :(

*edit* Ah, Hydrophobia. I still ought to finish playing that at some point. I seem to remember it being kind of neat and having neat water effects, but I didn't play the end which may be bad. If you buy it, take the viewpoint that you're getting it to look at water effects, just to be safe.

Anyone want to split the Game of Thrones bundle? I want the Witcher-like action game, but not the RTS game.

I'm not sure if you can split the bundle. You'll probably get both games together and not a gift for each game.

I could be wrong of course.

Shad'O is among the new releases but it doesn't have a price attached to it. I'm always up for a TD with a twist and this looks pretty good at least graphically. Which reminds me that I need to play Unstoppable Gorg and replay Plants vs Zombies.

Also fuck Fieldrunners.

plc268

I'm so glad I didn't pay for Dirt Showdown. It's just so... boring. I just hate how they've strayed so far from their rally roots and put this junk out.

Nairume

Banned
The writing, dialogue and story is acceptable and/or good if you like GoT but the actual exploration and gameplay is ughhhhhh
I thought the gameplay was actually better than DA2's.

Also, it's kind of neat that they lifted Alpha Protocol's thing where doing certain things in dialog eventually gives you personality quirks that effects gameplay.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
With Steam pumping out discounts on meh games I think I'll splurge my savings on finally buying a serial for GW2... dat expensiveness.

Wok

Was this pulled from the store before? I see that the release date is February, and several people on my FL have it already.

It was in the BTA games in the last HIB. And it is a good game if you ask me.

It is Lemmings made cleaner: only four actions, 46 short levels, no crazy bridge building, quite nice visuals and music, online leaderboards (Ctrl+F Wok).

jG7Dw.png

1uLVw.png

Rapstah

Is Steam entirely community-translated nowadays? I realised what a boring job it would have to be to photoshop translation of "store" and "now available" with appropriate fonts into pictures today and it doesn't look like an automated thing.

And with the Community going live, the link to the Steam User Forums is now gone from the top.

Is Steam entirely community-translated nowadays? I realised what a boring job it would have to be to photoshop translation of "store" and "now available" with appropriate fonts into pictures today and it doesn't look like an automated thing.

Yes, Steam is entirely translated by the community now: http://translation.steampowered.com/

HoosTrax

And with the Community going live, the link to the Steam User Forums is now gone from the top.
The human field of view is not 45 degrees, so I don't understand why the new SPUF is only taking up half the width of my screen. Actually if you don't count the side panel, it's only taking up like 1/3.

MRORANGE

I really hope the SPUF are archived. They just helped me with 2 (!) launch issues I had in PvsZ.

Yeah, there is a TON of guides, patches, fixes and general help out there on that forum even if if the majority of userbase is terrible.

I will also miss my troll account on SPUF.

JustinBB7

Wtf I really don't hope that shitty discussion place will be the new forums now..

There are so many good threads with info/fixes on spuf, that won't all be recreated :(

Nelo Ice

Banned
Good point. It's the first place I check when I have an issue with a game, wouldn't want all that precious knowledge to be wiped.

Same, also first place I look even before launching games just to see if there are any tweaks/fixes. Would not have known about the Psychonauts 360 controller UI patch if I hadn't looked through the Psychonauts forum.

haikira

They Bleed Pixels is so good. Just put a few hours into it. More people definitely need to pick it up.

I'm not great at selling stuff. But it's a great platformer that'll put you in mind of SMB. It also has surprisingly deep combat and a system that reminds me of the bulletstorm diminishing returns when you spam attacks. So you'll need to vary the way you kill. The points you earn feed into a system for charging up and dropping checkpoints where you want them, which i thought was smart.

The soundtrack is also pretty nifty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom