• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

CDProjeckt is running an interesting contest for Witcher 2 owners on Steam. They are going to model two characters in an upcoming game after fans of the game.

Trailer and Site.

PaulLFC

Why is Gamefly's website so shit? I'm trying to buy Mad Riders and twice now it's declined my card despite the info being right. It isn't the card, because I've bought stuff from other websites today without problems. They don't even give you the option to use Paypal either.

Meier

Does anyone know if Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is Steam activatable? I was thinking it was for some reason.. I see Gamefly has it for about $4 so I wanted to jump on it if I could get it through Steam and avoid Ubisoft itself.

So I bought Batman: Arkham City and all of its DLC a while ago during a sale. Recently got around to finally trying to play it only to hit a wall during the install process. The key works for Steam, it works for the SecuROM installation/verification but fails at GFWL. I get an error that states the key is already in use. I've already tried goign through Steam Support, they provided me one alternate key, which gave me the same GFWL error.

Trying to find any relevant information or support for GFWL is laughable. All searches lead to xbox.com and a number of extremely limited topics so now I'm trying my hand at Warner Bros game help/tech support.

Nabs

Does anyone know if Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is Steam activatable? I was thinking it was for some reason.. I see Gamefly has it for about $4 so I wanted to jump on it if I could get it through Steam and avoid Ubisoft itself.

According to Amazon: Requires Steam account for installation and online play.

Fresh install of Windows 7, had to mess with the registry in order for Steam to even install properly. Apparently this was an ongoing/known issue all throughout yesterday, not sure if it has been fixed on Steam's end. No official response was given in the support/help threads on the Steam forums AFAIK.

In the meantime, using it in Mac continues to present me with black screens and unresponsive links/scrolling 80% of the time.

Good show Valve, good show.

I'm going to play the PC version of Alpha Protocol for the first time. (previously played it on the 360)

Are there any mods or fixes I should know about?

what do you do with retail games that you bought and then bought again on Steam?

I have a bunch of games that I no longer care about that I want to get rid of, mainly the fact that I have them on Steam and if Steam does go down I probably won't care about them anyway.

thinking of just giving them to the charity centre I guess.

Usually just donate them to Goodwill, unless they have a significant amount of value you to them. In that case I'll sell them here on GAF.

MRORANGE

what do you do with retail games that you bought and then bought again on Steam?

I have a bunch of games that I no longer care about that I want to get rid of, mainly the fact that I have them on Steam and if Steam does go down I probably won't care about them anyway.

kennah

There is always the free to a good home thread.

HoosTrax

I actually have this exact problem, and was thinking of offering to send them to any GAFfers for the price of the postage option of their choice. I have three different physical copies of Neverwinter Nights for example. One from the original release, one that's the Platinum version because it was cheaper than buying the expansion packs separately, and a third copy from the Dungeons and Dragons Anthology collection.

Similarly, what to do with physical copies of Steamworks games like Orange Box and MW3.

Narag

I'd probably just give them away.

Tomodachi

I just finished Home. Great ride, the thing I enjoyed the most was
reading all the different interpretations on the website, amazing idea

There are a ton of games on Steam. You might want to give us some idea of what kind of games you like, unless you're dead set on replaying Fallout 3. :p

Are you specifically looking for open-world RPGs like Fallout 3?.

Not really, it's just one of the better games that I've seen going for $10 on steam. It doesn't really matter what genre. Just in case the week-end deal isn't that good: any ideas?

I actually have this exact problem, and was thinking of offering to send them to any GAFfers for the price of the postage option of their choice. I have three different physical copies of Neverwinter Nights for example. One from the original release, one that's the Platinum version because it was cheaper than buying the expansion packs separately, and a third copy from the Dungeons and Dragons Anthology collection.

Similarly, what to do with physical copies of Steamworks games like Orange Box and MW3.

Hah, I just donate those to Goodwill also. I feel bad about it but hope that whoever may buy them from Goodwill knows how to get around to playing them despite the codes missing. I guess people could buy them and use them as a quicker way to install games they have on their Steam account?

MRORANGE

I keep physical copies of steamworks games since I can install quicker from disc than downloading usually.

There is always the free to a good home thread.
I'd probably just give them away.

Hmm I could try that, but these games tend to be so old, that everyone either does not care or they already have it on Steam, I think very few PC gamers tend to opt for a physical collection these days.

I can't remember the last time I actually bought a retail game :|

PaulLFC

Orcs Must Die 2 is 50% off on Origin but activates on Steam (£6). Quite liked what I played of the first one but I never finished it. Should I buy the sequel now? Assume it's worth it at that price?

Volcynika

Orcs Must Die 2 is 50% off on Origin but activates on Steam (£6). Quite liked what I played of the first one but I never finished it. Should I buy the sequel now? Assume it's worth it at that price?

Co-op is a blast if you have people to play with. Really fun game regardless.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Hah, I just donate those to Goodwill also. I feel bad about it but hope that whoever may buy them from Goodwill knows how to get around to playing them despite the codes missing. I guess people could buy them and use them as a quicker way to install games they have on their Steam account?
Either buy a Paper Shredder that Shreds CDs or use the one in your office, if you work in a place where such things would exist, and recycle the end product.

The only valuable thing about Steamworks games physical copies are their keys, and they're already used.

One could easily find images of those CDs/DVDs on the Internet, if the intent is to play them without using the already-claimed Keys, and I personally don't see the difference in buying a used DVD for the data in it or downloading it on the Internet, since you're just going to run a crack to play them without valid keys anyway. In other words, either way is piracy.

Unless you're selling your account along with the discs, be it a Steam account or, in this case, a Neverwinter Nights account. Then they (the discs) might be useful, but not much.

mr. grape

Buy it if you have a friend to play with. It's a fantastic game in co-op, I paid about $10 for it after splitting a 2-pack with someone on gamersgate and it was well worth that price. I'm guessing the 50% off sale on Origin is region specific though, it's full price in the US.

Either buy a Paper Shredder that Shreds CDs or use the one in your office, if you work in a place where such things would exist, and recycle the end product.

The only valuable thing about Steamworks games physical copies are their keys, and they're already used.

One could easily find images of those CDs/DVDs on the Internet, if the intent is to play them without using the already-claimed Keys, and I personally don't see the difference in buying a used DVD for the data in it or downloading it on the Internet, since you're just going to run a crack to play them without valid keys anyway. In other words, either way is piracy.

Unless you're selling your account along with the discs, be it a Steam account or, in this case, a Neverwinter Nights account. Then they (the discs) might be useful, but not much.

Being the absent-minded person that I am, it never occurred to me until afterwards that a person could just crack the games. I was thinking that they could buy it cheap and buy a cheap key somewhere online. One game I donated was Black Ops which was still $50 at the time but they sold the one I gave them for $10. I didn't realize afterwards that most online sellers are selling keys for $50, haha.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Being the absent-minded person that I am, it never occurred to me until afterwards that a person could just crack the games. I was thinking that they could buy it cheap and buy a cheap key somewhere online. One game I donated was Black Ops which was still $50 at the time but they sold the one I gave them for $10. I didn't realize afterwards that most online sellers are selling keys for $50, haha.

I just don't know who is this person that has the knowledge and wits to buy a valid key on the internet, but can't be bothered to download the DVD contents for a installation, on the rare case that you can't just download it from wherever you're going to register that key in the first place.

For instance, NeverWinter Nights. A couple years back, NeverWinter Nights was released as a bonus built-in in a Magazine down here in Brazil and sold on newstands. A couple months after, my group of friends decided they wanted to play NeverWinter Nights and nobody could find these magazines anymore, except for a friend that lived in a non-central area of the country. He bought copies of the magazine for everybody (around 8 people) and just emailed the keys to each of them. We all managed to download CD images of the game, installed the game, used cracks to go through the copy protection (I don't even properly remember if there was one, but if it was, we did that) and used the valid keys to register online accounts and play together. The 3 bucks for shipping the DVDs over regular mail was not worth it.

This "Buy this original used DVD of the Orange Box, in which the keys are already used, so you can't register it on your Steam account, and then proceed to buy a key from somewhere else, register your key on your account, install the Orange Box from these DVDs, and then subsequently re-download the entire game because there's been a million patches" scenario doesn't exist.

The way I see things, this is only valid on Collector's Edition versions (for instance, the WOW Battlechest whatever thing), where there are physical things that one would want, like artbooks or statues.

Your Physical DVD copy of Modern Warfare for the PC is pretty much a bunch of useless plastic, metals and celluloid, as it can't be played without a valid key, and you can download that data on the internet much easier and faster than waiting for mail shipping.

HoosTrax

Well I was mostly referring to older games. Anything I've bought in the past two years or so has been digital other than MW3, but a lot of the games in question, since they were before that period, have CD keys that are transferable (i.e. not tied to a Steam / EA / Ubisoft) account.

Besides, I see people who claim to hate digital and want physical games instead.

Edit: Actually, those might have been console gamers I was thinking of, who prefer physical discs.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Well I was mostly referring to older games. Anything I've bought in the past two years or so has been digital other than MW3, but a lot of the games in question, since they were before that period, have CD keys that are transferable (i.e. not tied to a Steam / EA / Ubisoft) account.

If you're selling the key along with the discs, I don't see a problem. If you're selling your Battlenet account along with your copy of Diablo 2 and it's serial registered on that account, for instance. However, I would personally prefer if you sold me the key only. Not the account, because I already have one of those! :D

If you're just selling the discs and not the key, because you're still using the key, that's literally a useless purchase. And I believe also Illegal?

Besides, I see people who claim to hate digital and want physical games instead.
But for these people, a physical copy of Modern Warfare with the CD-Key used is not going to do any good when it comes to actually playing the game.

Actually, those might have been console gamers I was thinking of, who prefer physical discs.
Well, Consoles actually require the Discs to be able to play Physical games, not a Key. But in that case, that is the ONLY thing you can sell: The game itself.
Maybe the "extra content" keys have already been used, but the main game is still playable. That's another scenario. But I though we were talking about PC Games, this being the Steam thread and Orange Box and Neverwinter Nights being used as a example (by others)

chixdiggit

Hopefully NA gets a deal soon, I loved the first one.

HoosTrax

But for these people, a physical copy of Modern Warfare with the CD-Key used is not going to do any good when it comes to actually playing the game.
Hey now, you can't display a digital copy of MW on your shelf, along with the rest of your useless gaming collectibles, now can you :p?

Put them up for sale on Amazon or the GAF thread. Trade them on Goozex (though it's unclear if Gozzex points will be useful in the future). Lots of ways you can get them into the hands of people who want them. Just don't throw them away; there are those of us who still like to collect physical games, and reducing the existing supply of such games in the world when they'll never be reprinted again makes us sad.

Steamworks discs are less useful for obvious reasons, though theoretically there might be a use case for those who already bought such a game on Steam directly, but would like a disc for future installs instead of having to download the whole game. The key being used already would not matter to them.

Just to clear up, Modern Warfare 1 (COD4) was not a Steamworks game, and the game and key could be transferred. I traded mine on Amazon. They went Steamworks starting with MW2.

HoosTrax

Believe me, I immediately felt guilty about buying physical MW3 (killing the environment one disc at a time). I had an awful internet connection at the time though.

I just don't know who is this person that has the knowledge and wits to buy a valid key on the internet, but can't be bothered to download the DVD contents for a installation, on the rare case that you can't just download it from wherever you're going to register that key in the first place.

For instance, NeverWinter Nights. A couple years back, NeverWinter Nights was released as a bonus built-in in a Magazine down here in Brazil and sold on newstands. A couple months after, my group of friends decided they wanted to play NeverWinter Nights and nobody could find these magazines anymore, except for a friend that lived in a non-central area of the country. He bought copies of the magazine for everybody (around 8 people) and just emailed the keys to each of them. We all managed to download CD images of the game, installed the game, used cracks to go through the copy protection (I don't even properly remember if there was one, but if it was, we did that) and used the valid keys to register online accounts and play together. The 3 bucks for shipping the DVDs over regular mail was not worth it.

This "Buy this original used DVD of the Orange Box, in which the keys are already used, so you can't register it on your Steam account, and then proceed to buy a key from somewhere else, register your key on your account, install the Orange Box from these DVDs, and then subsequently re-download the entire game because there's been a million patches" scenario doesn't exist.

The way I see things, this is only valid on Collector's Edition versions (for instance, the WOW Battlechest whatever thing), where there are physical things that one would want, like artbooks or statues.

Your Physical DVD copy of Modern Warfare for the PC is pretty much a bunch of useless plastic, metals and celluloid, as it can't be played without a valid key, and you can download that data on the internet much easier and faster than waiting for mail shipping.

Yeah, I didn't think it through at the time. I was in a hurry to gather things for Goodwill and my thought process was, "They'll sell it cheap and the person who buys can find a cheap key."

LogicStep

Can someone help me? I'm trying to give my friend the game folder for a free to play game so that he doesn't have to download it. How do I do this? I just copy the game folder from the Steamapps/common folder? What do I do with it at his computer so that Steam recognizes the game?

Hanzou

Anybody interested in buying a steam key of "Sleeping Dogs" off me for $40? I would rather buy Borderlands 2 this month and wait on Sleeping Dogs for a good sale. Would use this money here to buy BL2.

Ill also post this in the steam trade thread but this one gets more traffic.

PM me.

HoosTrax

Can someone help me? I'm trying to give my friend the game folder for a free to play game so that he doesn't have to download it. How do I do this? I just copy the game folder from the Steamapps/common folder? What do I do with it at his computer so that Steam recognizes the game?
22769973.jpg

camerooni

Neo Member
I tried that but for some reason it wasn't working....

Been sitting here for like 5 minutes and steam hasn't created any folders yet. About how much does it need to download for this to work?

Games with the new content system download to a /download folder rather than directly to the /steamapps/common folder and are then copied over.. maybe check if the folders are setup there and then copy over the top of that and continue the 'download'?

It would suck if the only way to transfer games would be creating a backup (which takes forever for both parties) :/

I just had something really weird happen with Monkey Island 2. I got on to try and get the final achievement that I had left, which I did, but somehow it locked the other eleven achievements once I exited out of the game. So I restarted and they all unlocked at once.

I really hate achievements. I feel this compulsion to get every one of them with a game I like and at times I feel like I'm in such a rush in getting them that I pay more attention to them than I do the actual game. I find myself doing it with The Basement Collection now.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Sell them. Ones I can't sell, I'll donate or just toss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom