• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I like community a lot. The old style, sometimes I wanted to check for a fix or a bug or something, I'd hit the community button then it would launch my browser, and it would never go to the proper forum, and I wouldn't be logged in and blahblahblah, it was just inelegant. Works better now. It is kinda turning into facebook tho, lol.

So what is greenlight? Is it a way for indie devs to fast-track Valve's QA based on popularity?

Stantron

Just to clear up, Modern Warfare 1 (COD4) was not a Steamworks game, and the game and key could be transferred. I traded mine on Amazon. They went Steamworks starting with MW2.

Wait, you're not saying that you traded your retail key to amazon for a steam code, are you? I hope you actually are because I'd like to do that with a key from my retail copy I never installed.

LogicStep

Games with the new content system download to a /download folder rather than directly to the /steamapps/common folder and are then copied over.. maybe check if the folders are setup there and then copy over the top of that and continue the 'download'?

It would suck if the only way to transfer games would be creating a backup (which takes forever for both parties) :/

I "think" I figured out a way to do it. Just copied the folder like told, THEN go try and download the game from the store and it will detect the files.

Joe Molotov

Garshasp doesn't have DLC, he has MLM (Manloadable Mantent).

6ytNa.jpg

zgbYd.jpg

So I let my common sense be overridden, bought Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition and for once Games For Windows Live hasn't been a total shit show. I almost don't believe it because every other game purchased that have GFWL, from Kane & Lynch: Deadmen to Batman Arkham City, have ranged from being a total annoyance to an outright nightmare (current issues with activating Arkham City).

I guess I could ask this in the Dark Souls PC thread as well but since it's lossely a GFWL question, are there any issues with backing up and, more specifically, using save files? I did a bit of poking 'round and found the save dir for Dark Souls in My Documents (why do so many companies refuse to use the MyGames folder?), is it just as easy as copying and pasting that save file? Or are there any shenanigans involved?

Ledsen

So I let my common sense be overridden, bought Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition and for once Games For Windows Live hasn't been a total shit show. I almost don't believe it because every other game purchased that have GFWL, from Kane & Lynch: Deadmen to Batman Arkham City, have ranged from being a total annoyance to an outright nightmare (current issues with activating Arkham City).

I guess I could ask this in the Dark Souls PC thread as well but since it's lossely a GFWL question, are there any issues with backing up and, more specifically, using save files? I did a bit of poking 'round and found the save dir for Dark Souls in My Documents (why do so many companies refuse to use the MyGames folder?), is it just as easy as copying and pasting that save file? Or are there any shenanigans involved?

In the .ini of Durante's dsfix (which I assume you're using) there's an option for automatic save backups. To be extra safe you could also use Gamesave Manager on top of that to backup your GFWL profile.

1-D_FTW

Still no programs being sold on Steam!

Also my client never freezes after I buy something from Steam?

Mine freezes for 2 - 5 seconds. Maybe it's just a little hyperbole? I don't know. Or maybe it's just because they have so many games. It seems like the more games I add to my library, the slower Steam gets (or maybe it's just a coincidence and feature creep has grown with my library).

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Steam's client can get pretty slow and laggy. Even Uplay and
Origin
sometimes seem faster.

I really wish Valve would improve the client to be speedier, but I have no clue how much effort that would take.

andthebeatgoeson

So, games for windows is complete trash? You have to be always online to save a game? I'm trying to get Bioshock 2 running and it's not liking my network or something. Pfft.

Tomodachi

I was wondering, no skin can add an "hours played" column in List View right? I would love something like that to keep track of the games I've barely touched opposed to the ones I never started and those I've played with more commitment. Any way to do something like that (except manual categories or checking directly in my steam profile)?

SteveWD40

So, games for windows is complete trash?

Unequivocally so.

People have lost save files, been unable to access online / entire games, had a myriad of login issues...

It's one of the worst things in PC gaming and sadly it isn't going away, only becoming more prominent (in console ports at least).

I boycott it myself.

Recall

Get a "no connection" at the bottom of my profile. Anyone else suddenly have this appear?

I'm connected to the internet and restarted the client. Is Steam down or is this my side only?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Get a "no connection" at the bottom of my profile. Anyone else suddenly have this appear?

I'm connected to the internet and restarted the client. Is Steam down or is this my side only?

Steam community is down right now. You should be able to play your games and download normally, though.

Games with the new content system download to a /download folder rather than directly to the /steamapps/common folder and are then copied over.. maybe check if the folders are setup there and then copy over the top of that and continue the 'download'?

It would suck if the only way to transfer games would be creating a backup (which takes forever for both parties) :/

This is a serious issue for me because I have 600 GB worth of games backed up which were easy and quick to reinstall using the old system. Now since I just reinstalled windows, I have had to redownload many large games again even though they were sitting on my hard drive.

When your using motioninjoy to use a ps3 controller, do the analog sticks have the same precision as a 360 pad/microsoft driver.

I sold my old 360 pad and I prefer ps3 controller, but I need another one for Dark Souls.

Blizzard

Banned
There's presumably some sort of single-threaded thing in some situations with Steam. Buying games is one of them (maybe in an attempt to prevent duplicate payments). It's also weird because I think the entire window will jump slightly to one side while it freezes until the payment goes through.

I think verifying game cache integrity is another one. I seem to recall if you're talking to someone on Steam, and you start verifying files, you can see new messages from the person but you can't reply. :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think verifying game cache integrity is another one. I seem to recall if you're talking to someone on Steam, and you start verifying files, you can see new messages from the person but you can't reply. :p

Yeah, cache verification prevents you from using Steam until it completes or is cancelled.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Trine/FrozenByte packages are a great deal if you happen to not already own the Trine games since the Trine 2 DLC on its own is $6.79.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom