• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

Nice! I'll have to peruse the list later.

Edit: later is now: http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/?appid=765&browsesort=pending&browsefilter=pending&p=1

Looks like Black Mesa made it. Waking Mars also made it too, so hopefully the Humble Bundle will update its page with keys soon.

Neotokyo made it! Hopefully this helps the community for the game. It's so well done, it's a shame more don't play it.

Black Mesa was actually greenlighted on the very first set of 10 greenlight games.

Pretty happy to hear that Waking Mars got greenlight. I think Dragon's Lair was just aproved as well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
PR out:

Third Set of Games, First Greenlight Software Titles Revealed

50 Titles Receive Greenlight Since Launch

November 30, 2012 - Valve today revealed the third set of games and first set of Software titles to advance through Steam Greenlight and be offered worldwide distribution via the popular platform for games and software.

The latest collection of games and first set of Software titles to advance through Greenlight were selected for having either the highest number of positive votes or on an incredible upward trajectory since being added to Greenlight.

With these titles, 13 games and six Software titles (see full list below), a total of 50 titles have advanced through Steam Greenlight and been offered Steam distribution agreements since Greenlight launched in August.

"In just three months, the community has helped us identify 50 new titles for us to offer via Steam," said Alden Kroll of Valve. "With the help of Greenlight, the indie games market share of games sold on Steam has increased by 50 percent for a third consecutive year. That's a stat we are proud of, but one we also hope to increase as we learn more about Greenlight and continue to refine it in the new year."

Steam Greenlight is a new platform feature that enlists the community's help in selecting some of the next games to be released on Steam. Launched on August 30, Greenlight allows developers and publishers to post information and media about their game in an effort to convince Community members that their game should be released on Steam.

For more information on Steam Greenlight and to vote for new games, please visit www.steamcommunity.com/greenlight

New Steam Greenlight Games

Blackspace
Darkfall Unholy Wars
Dawn of Fantasy
Dragon's Lair
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Gear Up
Kinetic Void - Space Adventure
The Light
No Time To Explain
Primordia
Sang-Froid : Tales of Werewolves
StarForge
Waking Mars

First Steam Greenlight Software Titles

Action! Screen Recorder
Bandicam: Game Recorder
Construct 2
Display Fusion
HitFilm 2
You Need A Budget 4

I think Black Mesa was in the first wave actually.
Black Mesa was actually greenlighted on the very first set of 10 greenlight games.
So it was! (As well as a few other games I had listed. Still excited, though.)

allansm

Fuck Valve, fuck the Internet, my game wasn't greenlit.

So what if I didn't ever release a demo, have shitty screenshots, a poor trailer, and have made zero effort to draw the Internet's attention to it.

While I agree with you about trailers, demos and screenshots, it's not that easy for everyone to draw the internet's attention. The masses are more willing to support certain genres than others, it will always be easier for certain games to win the greenlught popularity contest than others, no matter how many screenshots and videos they post or even if the demo is great.

So gross.

They can love whatever they want, it just makes me sad that Valve is not acting to add a little more diversity to the greenlit list.

They can love whatever they want, it just makes me sad that Valve is not acting to add a little more diversity to theirn greenlight selection.

I'm still very confident that greenlight will improve in leaps and bounds in the next few months. But then you have to remember that the internet mob rule is still at work and so valve has to still put in more work than they probably wanted to to counteract the shit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
While I agree with you about trailers, demos and screenshots, it's not that easy for everyone to draw the internet's attention. The masses are more willing to support certain genres than others, it will always be easier for certain games to win the greenlught popularity contest than others, no matter how many screenshots and videos they post or even if the demo is great.

If a game can't even get through the greenlight process and is just brute forced on by Valve, how likely is it to sell compared to a game that can make it through greenlight?

So do these game ever get removed from Steam if they don't sell?
I can't wait for Valve to remove Postal 2. That really tarnished the Steam image for me personally.

morningbus

If a game can't even get through the greenlight process and is just brute forced on by Valve, how likely is it to sell compared to a game that can make it through greenlight?

"Steam isn't it's all to be cracked up to be. My $30 dating sim with Atari graphics barely sold any copies."

Fantomex

I don't have paypal or amazon payments for the humble bundle. For some dumb reason I figured I could use my steam wallet :( but nope. Dang it!

allansm

I can't wait for Valve to remove Postal 2. That really tarnished the Steam image for me personally.

To answer that question, you must first know if the greenlight community is representative of the entire steam community. They very well might be different, for example, fans of a certain genre might be underepresented in the greenlight community. Also, there are games now on steam that I doubt would get enough votes to be greenlit and they must be selling enough to be profitable to valve, otherwise I doubt they would have selected them.

Caerith

Fuck Valve, fuck the Internet, my game wasn't greenlit.

So what if I didn't ever release a demo, have shitty screenshots, a poor trailer, and have made zero effort to draw the Internet's attention to it.
Sucks that Cook Serve Delicious still ain't greenlit despite that.

You have a point with greenlight performance possibly reflecting overall Steam performance for a title, but I wonder how many of the better small games I've played (Sequence, Critter Crunch, even Faerie Solitaire) would have fared on greenlight.

morningbus

I think we need to cut the bullshit and just make me the Dictator of Steam Greenlight.

I will approve the games that you need.

didamangi

Finished Mark of the Ninja, that was a very well done stealth game and fun enough for me to get all the achievements.

I hope they released a sequel soon and added a harder difficulty as well, new game+ still a breeze for me.

Blizzard

Banned
What are your opinions about these games, then:

It's interesting that Darkfall (which wasn't even submitted until four days ago) and Primordia (which was in the #40s last I checked) both jumped queue and got Greenlit. Dragon's Lair got the ok too, and I wasn't aware that there was much buzz when it got submitted.
Stallion, do you feel that they are unlikely to sell compared to the games that had higher queue numbers? Did Valve force them through, or is there something else going on here?

Sucks that Cook Serve Delicious still ain't greenlit despite that.

You have a point with greenlight performance possibly reflecting overall Steam performance for a title, but I wonder how many of the better small games I've played (Sequence, Critter Crunch, even Faerie Solitaire) would have fared on greenlight.
I seem to recall Feep being of the opinion that Sequence would NOT have made it through Greenlight since it was such an odd idea for a game. Would we have been better off without his game? I wouldn't say so.

nexen

Yeah you're right. I didn't quite get that you were specifically talking about the abundant use of firearms. But at that point in the game, there is an all out war between two "factions" of the triad and that war can hardly be fought with knives and bats. I just assumed that this was a situation that was out of the ordinary and they got the weapons specifically for the war. This is where the police should've gotten involved more and the story could've gotten quite interesting, sadly they didn't do much with that.

As for Wei himself, I had the feeling that he only cared for the lives of people in the Sun On Yee, since those were "his people" at this point. That's how I was able to justify it to me, anyway. The funny thing is, the police missions for Teng seemed completely disconnected from the rest of the game and felt out of place to me.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Blizzard

Banned
I just realized that even though Black Mesa released forever ago, and was greenlit forever ago, it still hasn't been released on Steam itself. I thought it was already there but was mistaken.

HoosTrax

Stallion, do you feel that they are unlikely to sell compared to the games that had higher queue numbers? Did Valve force them through, or is there something else going on here?
Valve's rationale for fast-tracking Primordia, according to Wadjet Eye:
Since we moved up the charts so far so fast, Steam has judged that Primordia can bypass the rest of the process and get Greenlit right away.

Blizzard

Banned
Valve's rationale for fast-tracking Primordia, according to Wadjet Eye:
That's interesting, so maybe they track the number change per day, and it's better for developers to keep everything hidden and then suddenly do a blitz on all channels in a 1-3 days period.

Any word on why Darkfall made it through so quickly?

*edit* From the Greenlight comments, somebody said this:
I have insider info that DF will be Greenlit today/tomorrow...depends which time zone you're in.

HoosTrax

That's interesting, so maybe they track the number change per day, and it's better for developers to keep everything hidden and then suddenly do a blitz on all channels in a 1-3 days period.

Any word on why Darkfall made it through so quickly?
I haven't seen any public comments regarding it. But I would imagine that it had to do with two factors:

1) Momentum played a role. 58 pages worth of comments in 4 days.
2) The game is available to play already and has a built-in community that asked the devs to put it on Steam.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't seen any public comments regarding it. But I would imagine that it had to do with two factors:

1) Momentum played a role. 58 pages worth of comments in 4 days.
2) The game is available to play already and has a built-in community that asked the devs to put it on Steam.
Hmm, so again the change in rating (or number of comments) per day thing, thanks.

I think other games are also already available to play, some even on other consoles, but maybe a key factor here was having an existing multiplayer community so you can get them to zerg rush Greenlight (as mentioned on the comments).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom