• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

I hate the Steam client

I hate it

I want a complete redesign

its so slow and clunky as shit. It wasnt bad before because there was not much to do with it, but now since they added the community stuff it makes no sense to have a client this bad.

Origin client is better. Just sayin.

EDIT: Aww fuck, new page...

Salsa

I believe that the client will be overhauled by this time next year, possibly next summer.

I think/hope itll come sooner. Too much new stuff between big picture, the community overhaul and greenlight. They need to merge all those things in a more clear, easier and snappier client.

ShaneB

Endless Space sure is confusing. Granted I didn't really plan on playing it much, and skipped through the tutorials, but still! It's confusing.

PaulLFC

Apparently Stronghold 3 Gold is £3.51 at GMG - worth it for that little, or is it so bad even just over £3.50's too much?

I think/hope itll come sooner. Too much new stuff between big picture, the community overhaul and greenlight. They need to merge all those things in a more clear, easier and snappier client.

I hope you're right. No idea why, but if I have the Steam browser open and I'm playing a game at the same time my framerate goes so low. There's a lot of things to be fixed but that just bugs me.

Grief.exe

I hate the Steam client

I hate it

I want a complete redesign

its so slow and clunky as shit. It wasnt bad before because there was not much to do with it, but now since they added the community stuff it makes no sense to have a client this bad.

The reason the client runs slow is because the way Windows interacts with some internet applications.

Turn this off:

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN Settings > Uncheck Automatically Detect Settings

s7evn

The reason the client runs slow is because the way Windows interacts with some internet applications.

Turn this off:

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN Settings > Uncheck Automatically Detect Settings

So fast...it's amazing

Salsa

Turn this off:

Yeah I know about this and it does speed it up (not enough tho), but its still clunky and has many "why dont they do this this way" kinda things, wich are the kinda stuff that predate a redesign. Steam got way bigger and branched out into different things these last year or two. That stuff hurts the ecosystem if you dont implement it properly. Tons of people arent voting shit on greenlight because its kind of a pain to go through, for example.

We got a redesign not so long ago but its time for another

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Turn this off:

I did. It feels almost worse.

Wait, so only 13 new games again on greenlight? Seriously? I thought they would do at least twenty this time. And they only have seven released so far? At least Primordia made it.

Turn this off:

This does help, but it's still slow and not all that great.

Turn this off:

Yeah, that should probably be in the OP. It really helps.

Rapstah

I found the worst thing on Steam:

sovietmusici6dnh.png

Those are low-res shots of Hearts of Iron II with the same midi notes layered on top of every picture. Music packs for Paradox games are terrible to start off with, but who said "this page needs images" and then spent 40 seconds on making them?

1-D_FTW

A good place to start would be multi-threading.

Every since somebody mentioned how any action would freeze things up, it's become painfully obvious and annoying. Before I used to chalk it up to some great mystery, now it just annoys. I would think that could solve a lot of the sluggish issues.

Bonus points for not hanging on updates cause it's busy with one crucial element and can't perform whatever else it needs (and makes it hang).

This does help, but it's still slow and not all that great.

This. I did that quite a while ago. I really think it's just not being able to chew and walk at the same time.

DTKT

A good place to start would be multi-threading.

Every since somebody mentioned how any action would freeze things up, it's become painfully obvious and annoying. Before I used to chalk it up to some great mystery, now it just annoys. I would think that could solve a lot of the sluggish issues.

Bonus points for not hanging on updates cause it's busy with one crucial element and can't perform whatever else it needs (and makes it hang).

Yeah, it's really annoying how I go update a game and sometimes, the client just freezes. I can't do anything and Windows is thinking that it stopped responding.

Really due for an overhaul.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's really annoying how I go update a game and sometimes, the client just freezes. I can't do anything and Windows is thinking that it stopped responding.

Really due for an overhaul.
Yup, I wrote a mini chronicle about that on the previous page :p
At least it has become stable now, and stopped with the random updates. Back to downloading The Witcher. I still don't dare touch it for fear of something screwing up and creating a rift in the space-time continuum.

zkylon

zkylewd
I found the worst thing on Steam:

sovietmusici6dnh.png

Those are low-res shots of Hearts of Iron II with the same midi notes layered on top of every picture. Music packs for Paradox games are terrible to start off with, but who said "this page needs images" and then spent 40 seconds on making them?
lol that's hilarious

Miker

Are they not remappable? That's a really weird decision if not.

I don't think so. Googling shows me this: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=641568&st=0&p=7538830&#entry7538830. I don't like grid hotkeys, though, because the only other RTS I've really spent time with is SC2, and the default hotkeys there were great. And apparently there's a lua file you can edit to change your hotkeys, but I'm way too lazy to do that.

Get a mouse you can bind keys to.

What kind of a suggestion is that? First of all, I want hotkeys that make sense, not to bind them to my mouse. And second of all, I can't even do that if I wanted to, for the reason above.

Finished Tomb Raider Legend, took me about 5h.

What a cheesy game, Lara was ruthless though,
pistolwhipped that bitch like she deserved it

Grief.exe

What the heck.

My CS:GO achievement progress got reset somehow.

Was at about 3,000/10,000 kills for the achievement, now I'm down to 3.

Almost had most of the gun achievements, now they are all at about 0/100, 0/250, etc.

Was at 24/25 Arms Race Matches Won, now I'm at 0.

Annoyed. Anyone know of a fix?

Mikaju

I just noticed Endless Space free weekend also gives you a soundtrack to listen, it is in the games folder. Definitely worth a listen if you like Neotokyo etc kind of music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom