• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hate that the individual Prima guides are rarely discounted alongside the respective games themselves.

kurahador

One of the Steam update note:
- Fix the in-game overlay to correctly inject when a launcher calls ShellExecute with an empty string for the verb (Windows, fixes SWTOR)

Good guy steam...or SWTOR is actually coming to steam?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If they had the production and writing quality of a Portal 2: The Final Hours and were ~$2, I may actually consider getting one.

As-is? Haaaaaaahahahahaha.

No.

Most of them are either $10 or $15, which isn't too bad, but some are grossly overpriced -- e.g. Saint's Row 3 ($40) and The Witcher 2 ($35).

I really like the idea that they're viewable through the overlay.

That's neat. I've bought a few but haven't actually used one. ;)

One of the Steam update note:

Good guy steam...or SWTOR is actually coming to steam?

It's a fix for the game as a non-Steam shortcut.

In case anyone missed it in the Indie Bundle thread post today, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space is the IndieGameStand game du next few jours; the bigger news for this thread is that it has an imminent Steam release and the above promo gives you a key already.

Also worth noting that this was part of an IndieRoyale bundle back in May and they might give out keys there too (Towns gave 'em out when it made it to Steam, but not sure what other similar cases there were.)

Milamber

Anyone want a humble bundle without the Saints Row 3 code? If you so just post a picture of Fantomex and I'll pm you .

Ooh!

JB5o5.jpg

deejay

It's a shoot 'em up.

It's only short in the way, say, Pacman, Geometry Wars or Street Fighter IV are "short". You're meant to play it over and over to get better at it.

Haha, no problem. That's fine.

I personally think the problems a lot of the hardcore shoot 'em up fans have with the game aren't going to bother most of the people playing it.

I finished it. Doesn't that prove I got better at it ? ;P
So... like I said; it's short.

Croc

Banned
I've been trying out some of those Genesis games and Shining Force caught me off guard a bit. For whatever reason I was under the impression it was just a traditional old school RPG. I was pretty confused when I was thrown into the first battle and it was a strategy game hahah

I think the games I'm most interested in from glancing through the list are the Shining Force games and the Phantasy Star ones. Are there any other ones I should definitely try and play?

I've been trying out some of those Genesis games and Shining Force caught me off guard a bit. For whatever reason I was under the impression it was just a traditional old school RPG. I was pretty confused when I was thrown into the first battle and it was a strategy game hahah

I think the games I'm most interested in from glancing through the list are the Shining Force games and the Phantasy Star ones. Are there any other ones I should definitely try and play?

Alien Soldier - One of the best action games on any console.
Beyond Oasis - I think it's one of the best games ever made. A great action-adventure title.
Bonzanza Bros. - Neat Arcade-stealth game.
Dynamite Headdy - One of the better Genesis platformers
Fatal Labyrinth - Basically a Rogue game. Still holds up rather well
Gain Ground - Arcade-action/strategy game. Slow-paced but it's interesting.
Gunstar Heroes - Pretty much a required play. Great shooter
Landstalker - One of the best action-adventure games around.
Light Crusader - Shoddy mechanics but it has some good puzzles.
You may want to pass on Phantasy Star 3. It's rather poor. Definitely play IV and then II(If you don't mind brutal pacing and long dungeons)
Ristar - Another great platformer
Shadow Dancer - Solid action game.
Shining in the Darkness - Good Legend of Grimrock styled tile-based dungeon crawler.
(Oops let me take that back. Aside from being tile-based and taking place in a dungeon SiTD and LoG have nothing in common. SiTD has standard turn-based battles, LoG is real-time.)
Shinobi 3 - Another one of the best action games on the Genesis
Streets of Rage 2 - Excellent beatemup
The Revenge of Shinobi - Just as good if not better than Shinobi 3. Required play.
Wonderboy in Monster World - Starts off SLOOOOWWWWW but it's a decent adventure-platformer.

Also if you're gonna play Shining Force just play part 2. It's pretty much better in every way.

Le-mo

What is the best app to use to enable support for the 360 gamepad? I can't play the original Just Cause and Hitman: Blood Money with a mouse/kb. I'm a console gamer turned master race but I still game with a gamepad.

snack

What is the best app to use to enable support for the 360 gamepad? I can't play the original Just Cause and Hitman: Blood Money with a mouse/kb. I'm a console gamer turned master race but I still game with a gamepad.
Motionjoy probably? That's what I use on the pc.

Addnan

Do I need to use the steam client to redeem steam wallets fund codes?

Traded in some stuff and got £60 of steam vouchers and can't seem to find anywhere to redeem them on the website.

I think the latest Steam update sorta broke my symlinks? Suddenly it thinks DE:HR isn't installed even though I didn't move anything after playing last night. Steam insisted on a cache integration for Portal 2.

Echoplx

I think the latest Steam update sorta broke my symlinks? Suddenly it thinks DE:HR isn't installed even though I didn't move anything after playing last night. Steam insisted on a cache integration for Portal 2.

Probably due to Steam adding it's own support for multiple install locations, which I assume uses symbolic links as well.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
When you click on game proprieties, some games have a BETA tab with Development branches and beta versions.

How long has that been there? For individual games I mean.

Majeh

Hey guys, can someone explain to me how the Anno 2070 drm on steam works now. Does it give back activations, what makes you lose an activation etc? Definitely something I want to pick up in the sales if the drm isn't crazy.

When you click on game proprieties, some games have a BETA tab with Development branches and beta versions.

How long has that been there? For individual games I mean.

Oh wow, never noticed this. Dark Souls has a password protected beta D: Prepare to Durante update coming?

web01

Does Big picture mode not render at the correct resolution for anyone else?

Even though my screen is 1080p I can tell big picture mode doesn't render at the resolution (looks soft/blurry) even after changing the settings in big picture mode itself.

Probably due to Steam adding it's own support for multiple install locations, which I assume uses symbolic links as well.

Oh my god, you have got to be f'ing KIDDING me.

Steam broke. I tried several games. Most of them are okay and required verification of cache.

Killing Floor needed to get its content converted or something. Guess what, it tried to recreate the same files on my main drive (an SSD with 1GB left). It failed. Now I don't know WHERE the files are so I can delete them.

DE:HR broke. Completely got uninstalled.

I can't install the games to the symlink destination folders because Steam WANTS empty folders.

You have got to be freaking kidding me Gaben. I was just spending the past week or so downloading my games.

edit: The conversion thing for Killing Floor was in the downloading folder. Still, trying to find a way to salvage my files.

Relax.MX

One month and two weeks without PC :( (and i get my new hd in 2 weeks :( ) i missed the sale right? another good stuff? a new humble? tony amazon deals?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
One month and two weeks without PC :( (and i get my new hd in 2 weeks :( ) i missed the sale right? another good stuff? a new humble? tony amazon deals?

Why didn't you just buy the games anyway? I didn't have a pc, and that is what I did. Now, I'm knee deep in games.

Angst

Don't you have an iOS or Android device? If so, install the app and start shopping from your smartphone!

Edit: or you could just use the web site... :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Why didn't you just buy the games anyway? I didn't have a pc, and that is what I did. Now, I'm knee deep in games.

because he has been the past 6 weeks without a pc and he lives in a fucking coal mine where there's no other PC or Smartphones or internet access or fucking electricity.

That's what I like to think when people complain about missing sales anyway.

because he has been the past 6 weeks without a pc and he lives in a fucking coal mine where there's no other PC or Smartphones or internet access or fucking electricity.

That's what I like to think when people complain about missing sales anyway.
That's how I imagine everything south of the usa, so yeah that's probably exactly what happened.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That's how I imagine everything south of the usa, so yeah that's probably exactly what happened.

I live in South America and I have the worst cell phone coverage. In other words, most of the time I don't have 3G at all.

I've been on another city and I haven't missed Steam deals. I had friends SMS me the deals and ask me if I want anything. I even managed to get into some pricing errors that way.

I also do that frequently with friends that are working or traveling, specially during Christmas.

There's really no excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom