• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, for every symlinked game broken by Steam's BPM update, I finally fixed it.

Here's what I did but this is for games that get put into the "common" folder. Remember to back up everything.

1. Install any game to where you want your non-favorite games to be installed so that Steam can setup the directory. I installed Uplink since it's only 19MB. I chose: D:\SteamLibrary

2. Move your symlinked folders there. For example, I moved my "Deus Ex - Human Revolution" folder
to: D:\SteamLibrary\common

3. Copy the app manifest from the main Steam folder to the new folder. Example
to: D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps

The app manifest file is named appmanifest_xxxxx.acf, where the xxxxx is just digits. To know the correct one, open this folder.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\config.vdf

Ctrl+F your game and you should see something like this:
Code:
"28050"
{
	"installdir"		"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Deus Ex - Human Revolution"
	"UpdateKBtoDL"		"0"
	"HasAllLocalContent"		"1"
	"UpToDate"		"1"
}

In this case, the manifest I want is appmanifest_28050.acf

4. Edit the file using a good text editor (like Notepad++). It breaks on regular Notepad. Edit the "installdir" by removing the director. Example:
from: "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Deus Ex - Human Revolution"
to: "Deus Ex - Human Revolution"

Restart Steam if it's already on.

Installations it broke for me:
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Killing Floor

Other games were okay for me. Either it just boots fine or Steam just runs a cache integrity check.

Echoplx

Yepperdoodles, soundtracks are good for that too. I already have many of them, but have been double-dipping on the Steam versions lately

Soundtracks are actually worth the money most of the time though. Game guides on the other hand.. Completely useless.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
When you click on game proprieties, some games have a BETA tab with Development branches and beta versions.

How long has that been there? For individual games I mean.
I've seen it for quite some time, it's nothing new. I wasn't interested in trying them, so I don't know how it works.

This. There'll be a hundred equally good guides online for free.
But they don't count towards your games total.

cicero

In case anyone missed it in the Indie Bundle thread post today, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space is the IndieGameStand game du next few jours; the bigger news for this thread is that it has an imminent Steam release and the above promo gives you a key already.

Also worth noting that this was part of an IndieRoyale bundle back in May and they might give out keys there too (Towns gave 'em out when it made it to Steam, but not sure what other similar cases there were.)
I bought this yesterday, it works fine, none of your stats show up in Steam though. I assume they won't until it is officially released on Steam. Not sure if the game will include achievements or not.

HoosTrax

It is F2P now, does EA really have any reason not to put it on Steam anymore?
They can't.

For MMOs that are hosted on Steam, they have to provide a way of funding their microtransactions from Steam wallet.

When you opt to be in, the game's developer needs to grant you a password in order to enter in that Beta, after that, the game will start downloading the "beta files", that's all I can say.
You don't need a password for open betas, like Skyrim.

jediyoshi

Really? That's something I didn't know. How can you get the password, do you need to contact the developer? Or is it exclusive for official beta testers?

If you can't answer, don't worry then.

It's a per game basis, it's up to the developer what they want to do with it. Natural Selection 2 devs openly give out the password for people to test their betas, other developers only have it set it up for use internally.

They can't.

For MMOs that are hosted on Steam, they have to provide a way of funding their microtransactions from Steam wallet.

There's at least a few F2P games on Steam that have their own currency system that feed from steam wallet.

HoosTrax

There's at least a few F2P games on Steam that have their on currency system that feed from steam wallet.
Yes, what I meant is that EA is unwilling to have Steam take a cut. Even if it means more revenue overall.

I'd be willing to bet that if they had put the Mass Effect 1&2 and Dragon Age DLCs on the Steam store, they would have made more money overall due to visibility and ease of purchase, even with the cut that Steam takes.

Grief.exe

Yes, what I meant is that EA is unwilling to have Steam take a cut. Even if it means more revenue overall.

I'd be willing to bet that if they had put the Mass Effect 1&2 and Dragon Age DLCs on the Steam store, they would have made more money overall due to visibility and ease of purchase, even with the cut that Steam takes.

Plus they are a service based corporation now.

Similar to steams model, they are willing to accept a loss in the short term in order to build a base on their platform.

HoosTrax

gone

I just got a Steam key for BIT.TRIP Runner, which I already own. It's kind of a challenging rhythm-based platform that requires pretty good timing.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just got a Steam key for BIT.TRIP Runner, which I already own. It's kind of a challenging rhythm-based platform that requires pretty good timing.

header_292x136.jpg

First to quote gets it.
Don't give it to me (already have it twice on Wii and also Steam), I just want to let people know this is one hell of a great game. I think it's cheap on the current BPM Seal, so you can't go wrong if you buy it.

I'm waiting to grab Core for $2.50, as it's the Bit.Trip game I like the least. That said, whenever Flux comes to Steam I'll grab it day one, full price.

kswiston

Green Man Gaming has a 30% off voucher in affect: GMG30-DEC01-ARFC9

It works on most of the games on the site (including pre-orders) with a few exceptions.

If you use the voucher to pre-order select titles, including Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, and Aliens, you get a second 35% off voucher (that can also be used on preorders).

EDIT: Tomb Raider is $31.50 with the code. Aliens: Colonial Marines is $35. Code is not working properly with Bioshock, but you get a $15 credit with its purchase, and will still receive the 35% off voucher.

header_292x136.jpg

First to quote gets it.

I didn't take this, I already own, but I'd also like to add in that I have never beaten the first stage. I get stuck. For some reason my laptop likes to give me some slowdown.

Markster

header_292x136.jpg

First to quote gets it.

You've been quoted like 4 times now... and I think I'm the first that's interested in the key? The game looks neat.

Blizzard

Banned

header_292x136.jpg

First to quote gets it.
Don't try to give me the game, since I already own it, but I wanted to say that this is a pretty cool game with pretty cool music. It's difficult though, like Simon Says!

Green Man Gaming has a 30% off voucher in affect: GMG30-DEC01-ARFC9

It works on most of the games on the site (including pre-orders) with a few exceptions.

If you use the voucher to pre-order select titles, including Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, and Aliens, you get a second 35% off voucher (that can also be used on preorders).

Is it possible to use 2 codes on one title?

Really? That's something I didn't know. How can you get the password, do you need to contact the developer? Or is it exclusive for official beta testers?

If you can't answer, don't worry then.

I was beta tester for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD, they were asking a long time ago for beta testers in the Steam Forums

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is anybody else having trouble paying with a CC? I just had to switch to PayPal as the checkout system was saying my CC info was being declined, despite it working just yesterday and Steam never setting off a red flag at my bank.

Is anybody else having trouble paying with a CC? I just had to switch to PayPal as the checkout system was saying my CC info was being declined, despite it working just yesterday and Steam never setting off a red flag at my bank.

Perhaps it's telling you it's time to stop?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This is your shut-off from the bar by the bartender moment, JaseC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom