• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The final piece of Season Pass DLC for Darksiders 2 has finally been released. I'm assuming it's also the latest piece of DLC for the game altogether, so now I can finally begin my NG+ playthrough... at some point in the future.

Is EVE Online any good? I just noticed there's a trial, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any thoughts on it.

I know a few people who are hooked and have not given a chance to any other MMORPG since they took the plunge.

It has a monthly subscription, else I'd have tried it already.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, you're right. It's just been so long since I played FC1. I mainly just remember the sniping people from across the map types of experiences. And how it turned into Doom in the second half of the game :\
Classic DOS Doom? Nice, should check it out then.

Those who like it- they like it a lot.
Those who don't would rather play with Excel.
Laugh all you want, but the Excel 97 easter egg made my afternoons at school much more bearable. As did the Word 97 pinball.

So when I launch Far Cry 3 this happens...

iJ2rP.jpg

Verified local file cache, nothing is missing or corrupt.

Edit: Looks like restarting Steam after the decrypt fixed it, now it's doing the usual install process on first launch.

Game launched, now I have a different problem. I have to use uPlay.

Has anybody played Thomas Was Alone?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220780/

I played and beat it today (it's only 2-3 hours, which is probably the only "negative" thing I have to say about it) and enjoyed it immensely.

In its core, it's a simple puzzle-platformer where you use differently colored and shaped rectangles to get each one into their specific goal. They have different jumping heights and some even have special abilities. The puzzles aren't very hard, but vary enough to keep you interested.

What's special about it though, is that every rectangle has a name and character that you get to know through an omniscient (british) narrator, who tells you what they are thinking. It's done so well that I actually started caring about them. There's even a love story involved. Very charming.

Here's an example of Claire, John and Thomas
Another one of Thomas and Chris

I haven't really seen much talk about it, so if you're interested in this sort of thing, at least put it on your wishlist and look for it during the winter sale.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the soundtrack is fantastic as well.

I don't know how long the demo is, but instead of watching the quicklook you could also play the start of the game for yourself and see if you like it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh, thought it would be more like Serious Sam, with the fun mindless shooting. Do you think it was still a good game?

It's turns into a ridiculously cheap and frustrating game. At no point does it play anything like Serious Sam though, they actually have gameplay mechanics and some of the enemies actually have AI.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
does anyone know if you can remove the big picture icon on the corner?
Nabs tipped me off on how to do this last night.

Even though I don't mind the button, I went ahead and made an image pack. Download this: http://www.sendspace.com/file/33988u, unzip, and place its contents in your "Graphics" folder in the main Steam folder. It will overwrite the files there. I've included the original files in a separate folder named "original." Copy those files to get the button back.

1 final edit: this obviously just removes the graphics from the Steam client. Clicking on the same area will still launch big picture mode.

I was honestly very disappointed with Thomas was Alone. I liked the minimal art style and lightning, but the game is charming in a very ham fisted and slightly pretentious fashion and it doesn't help that the gameplay itself is repetitive and boring.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The final piece of Season Pass DLC for Darksiders 2 has finally been released. I'm assuming it's also the latest piece of DLC for the game altogether, so now I can finally begin my NG+ playthrough... at some point in the future.

Now I just need the season Pass to get a hefty discount and I can start playing the game!

EVE is okay, worth checking out for a few months but it's so difficult to get into the high level play that makes EVE great, because the corps are so established, you're really just a pawn.

I played some more Bit.trip runner and I don't really think I like it. Some of the levels are incredibly long and I'm only on the first world. It's a shame the gameplay is quite nice but I really don't see the value in lacking checkpoints when the level is so long.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's turns into a ridiculously cheap and frustrating game. At no point does it play anything like Serious Sam though, they actually have gameplay mechanics and some of the enemies actually have AI.
That's a low blow, though not untrue. TFE Classic was a great game despite that, or should I say because of that.

EVE is okay, worth checking out for a few months but it's so difficult to get into the high level play that makes EVE great, because the corps are so established, you're really just a pawn.

I played some more Bit.trip runner and I don't really think I like it. Some of the levels are incredibly long and I'm only on the first world. It's a shame the gameplay is quite nice but I really don't see the value in lacking checkpoints when the level is so long.
Perseverance is the key. Sooner or later you'll get the hang of it. It plays better with an Xbox controller, in my opinion, so you could try using one. It's frustrating, sure, but it's also rewarding and fun. And the music kicks ass.

MEGA... SUPER... ULTRA... EXTRA. And now I want to replay it.

Echoplx

First to quote gets an Eversion Steam key, in case anyone's not sure about this game I'll post a review Xelios wrote for Steam.

Xelios said:
What initially seems like a colorful Mario NES clone turns out to be much more. In Eversion you find access points throughout the levels where you can evert, altering the entire state of the level (seasons, if you will). Each version of the level has its own unique properties and you may need to shift many times to find secrets, get to all the gems, overcome obstacles or complete the level. While it's nowhere near anything like Braid, it can make you think but is mostly common sense and trial and error. You won't get frustrated or have to strain your brain much.

Multiple endings, achievements and plays great with a gamepad. The game is only a couple hours long but it was fun enough for me to finish in one sitting so I'd definitely recommend picking it up on sale.

It shows 7 games, 1 demo, 3 videos and 9 posts for me

Yeah, that's what I mean. Fucking Konami ignoring my region.

Are they ever going to put the first LoS on Steam? Never finished it on PS3, but I'd love to play it on PC with a stable frame rate and overall better visual fidelity.

Dave Cox from MercurySteam has hinted at it at least twice but there is no confirmation as of yet. I doubt that LoS2 is anywhere close to being released so it'd be nice if we got LoS1 in the first half of the year. I enjoyed the first few hours I spent with it on a friends console but the framerate D:

Grief.exe

Are they ever going to put the first LoS on Steam? Never finished it on PS3, but I'd love to play it on PC with a stable frame rate and overall better visual fidelity.

They talked about a possible port if there was enough interest.

I can't find the thread on GAF right now.

Would love to see more konami games on PC, particularly with their new fox engine.

Here found the thread

Mercury Steam have actually optimized their engine for the Cell CPU multiprocessing capabilities this time around, LoS budget wasn't nothing out of the ordinary and they preferred more and better artists than multicore-experienced software engineers (rewriting the code wasn't an option) so using the CPU for rendering tasks didn't make the deadlines and they opted for a traditional and cheaper (that budget...) engineering approach which ended hurting the overall performance of the game in both the PS3 and X360 versions of the game. LoS 2 will perform at a locked 30 frames per second with larger areas and better image quality.

As for the PC port of the first game rumours say it will be a bonus of the collectors edition of LoS 2 PC version.

source: a gaming show in Spain (radio)

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=43269287

[B said:
Glass Rebel;45062248]Yeah, that's what I mean. Fucking Konami ignoring my region.[/B]

Dave Cox from MercurySteam has hinted at it at least twice but there is no confirmation as of yet. I doubt that LoS2 is anywhere close to being released so it'd be nice if we got LoS1 in the first half of the year. I enjoyed the first few hours I spent with it on a friends console but the framerate D:

That's bull sheet!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Nabs tipped me off on how to do this last night.

Even though I don't mind the button, I went ahead and made an image pack. Download this: http://www.sendspace.com/file/33988u, unzip, and place its contents in your "Graphics" folder in the main Steam folder. It will overwrite the files there. I've included the original files in a separate folder named "original." Copy those files to get the button back.

1 final edit: this obviously just removes the graphics from the Steam client. Clicking on the same area will still launch big picture mode.

To follow up on my image pack that removes the big picture mode button, I have made a special JaseC edition available here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/q08e56

For those of you who do not wish to download it, here is what it does:

icQHg2pC7oB0G.gif

not a joke. file really works.

Croc

Banned
God dammit this last update fucked up Steam on Mac even more.

Now the little arrow things on friend's names don't work. Instead of it popping up the menu like it should, it pops it up underneath the friends list so you can't even see anything.

Far Cry 3 doesn't seem to properly track total play time in the Steam client. Just played it for about an hour and it says about 8 mins in the Steam client.

NZNova

Far Cry 3 doesn't seem to properly track total play time in the Steam client. Just played it for about an hour and it says about 8 mins in the Steam client.

Normally Ubi games tend to overestimate, because I forget to close the uplay client after exiting a game, I've never seen it underestimate before. That's pretty weird.

NZNova

Ah thanks, want Tomb Raider but don't like paying 3 months in advance

FYI, if they offer a better deal after you preorder you can just hit up their customer service and they credit you the difference. I'm sitting on $11 of credit from my Hitman preorder with them after they did that crazy discount just before release. They're pretty good about that sort of thing.

dani_dc

I'm really looking forward to Lords of Shadow 2 but...

lWHtb.png

the fuck, Konami? I know you got games on Steam!

I'm mostly shocked at the lack of PES on Steam, they are missing out a lot of sales considering there's absolutely no competition on Steam as far as football games go.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm mostly shocked at the lack of PES on Steam, they are missing out a lot of sales considering there's absolutely no competition on Steam as far as football games go.
Yeah, I've never understood why they don't put it on Steam. Sales here in Argentina would really skyrocket, since PES is pretty much the only game people don't want to pirate so they can play it online, but since retail here is next to non-existant, everyone ends up pirating it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom