• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Games on the new content delivery system download to a temp folder before being moved to the common folder.

Where is this temp folder located?

Does Steam put it where you have your temp folder on Windows? Or on a temp folder it creates where the Steam installation is?

-secretly hopes for-
Hell Yeah
Sine Mora
FTL

to all drop into the cradle known as humblebundle :X

I highly doubt FTL will come anytime soon, seeing as it wasn't even discounted during the Autumn sale.

Bumping this to the next page.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Especially with a new Humble Indie Bundle coming before Christmas, you'd be a fool to tie up your investments in Indie Futures.

Say you have Steam installed on your SSD, but choose to put the download onto your storage drive.

Will Steam download it to a Temp folder on your storage drive?

no. will download it where you have steam. I have
..had...
Shogun2 on my HD and steam on my SSD. all the patches and updates for this were downloaded to the SSD and nothing can be installed until they are all downloaded. Ate through 20GB of the SSD.

finally had enough and deleted the game. Seems like all updates download to this 'downloading' folder and then are installed to where you have the game installed

Grief.exe

no. will download it where you have steam. I have
..had...
Shogun2 on my HD and steam on my SSD. all the patches and updates for this were downloaded to the SSD and nothing can be installed until they are all downloaded. Ate through 20GB of the SSD.

finally had enough and deleted the game. Seems like all updates download to this 'downloading' folder and then are installed to where you have the game installed

Oh wow. So basically that system is pointless if you have a smaller SSD, and potentially damaging if you have an older one with a limited amount of writes.

That's very strange that they don't put the Temp location on the destination drive. Would save some needless time copying the data over as well.

Oh wow. So basically that system is pointless if you have a smaller SSD, and potentially damaging if you have an older one with a limited amount of writes.

That's very strange that they don't put the Temp location on the destination drive. Would save some needless time copying the data over as well.

now i guess i should include that i used SteamMover for this game, but i would imagine the way its setup that it downloads these to steam, then installs where you have the game.

I guess someone who has used the new 'choose which directory to install' option and verify how it works

Both Hell Yeah (SEGA) and Sine Mora (Kalypso) are publisher based titles, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I wanted to bring the same argument, but isn't Bastion published by WB and still was in a HIB?
Or was there something special about this? I don't even remember people complaining when this happened.

Echoplx

Why not just install Steam on the the HDD entirely? It's not like having the exe on an ssd makes much of a difference right?

morningbus

I wanted to bring the same argument, but isn't Bastion published by WB and still was in a HIB?

I think SuperGiant owns the Bastion I.P., though and the publishing deal is more of a distribution deal. I could be wrong, though.

I think SuperGiant owns the Bastion I.P., though and the publishing deal is more of a distribution deal. I could be wrong, though.
I can find nothing special about their publishing deal, sounds like standard procedure. Could be that they still own the IP, that still doesn't make Bastion "Indie" though. I'm quite interested how that deal with Humble went down and if WB saw any money from that at all.
Was it self published on Steam? I forget.
Product page lists WB as the publisher.
The same for Psychonauts which was even released for the PS2.
That's a different story though, since DF bought back the rights from Majesco(?) before the bundle.

wilflare is Sine Pecunia then, happy?

I was going to write a thing about how With purchasing Sine Mora sine mora, wilflare is sine pecuniam but then I would have to remember how to make the ablative absolute, and I don't remember any latin from college at all. And I don't remember the proper inflections.

morningbus

I can find nothing special about their publishing deal, sounds like standard procedure. Could be that they still own the IP, that still doesn't make Bastion "Indie" though. I'm quite interested how that deal with Humble went down and if WB saw any money from that at all.

The fact that they got to keep ownership of the I.P. definitely makes it a special type of publishing deal.

It's a fine line, but one only set a little further back than the line that allows Double Fine into the bundle with no problems, which itself is only a bit further back than any indie game that gets published by Microsoft or Sony on Xbox & PS3.

wilflare

I was going to write a thing about how With purchasing Sine Mora sine mora, wilflare is sine pecuniam but then I would have to remember how to make the ablative absolute, and I don't remember any latin from college at all. And I don't remember the proper inflections.

i know no latin.. but all i found googling
was this

Pecunia non olet

more savings in the pocket does not smell :X

Grief.exe

Had such issues with Chivalry today.

Trying to join a quick game before I have to leave for school. Most servers are glitched so that they show a bunch of people in them, when they are actually empty.

And after a while, I would join a server and it would lock my router. Would need to do a hard reset to get back in.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
How is the DLC for Hell Yeah? Tempted to get both things since my wallet has just enough to cover it.
No idea. I bought it but don't feel like playing those missions any time soon, nor getting those customisations. Maybe I'll do it if I replay the game someday.

Had such issues with Chivalry today.

Trying to join a quick game before I have to leave for school. Most servers are glitched so that they show a bunch of people in them, when they are actually empty.

And after a while, I would join a server and it would lock my router. Would need to do a hard reset to get back in.

Chivalry is downloading a 700MB patch for me right now. Maybe something to do with that?

zulux21

I was wondering if someone could help me out my might and magic clash of heroes seems to be really screwed up.

when starting up it is running at like 15 FPS and repeates the ubisoft logo twice before moving onto the capy logo which it repeats like 10 times before it finally moves on to the game where it continues to run very poorly.

When I last played the game it ran perfectly fine with no issues, and other games like saints row 3 still run smoothly right now.

I have already verified the game, gotten errors and redownloaded that way.
changed my settings to run as admin and in compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 3
and I also completely deleted the local files and downloaded them again none of which has fixed the game.

anyone know how to resolve this issue. I was going to check if maybe it was related to the ubisoft releases in general but despite owning 400 plus games on steam I only own the one ubisoft game lol

jediyoshi

Chivalry changelog
http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6910

Keybind fixes
Keybind reset works better
Server player count issues fixed
Several fixes for different causes of server player counts showing as being higher than they are
Fixed issue where player count would be lower than the actual number of players in-game.
Fixed issue where you would be able to join even when the max player count was actually reached.
(Tutorial) Removed achievement text
(Arena) Gate fixes
(Tutorial) Bringing neckhole's health down no longer blocks the tutorial
(Tutorial) Feint no longer blocks the tutorial
Crash fix in steamworks interface code
Quivers for bows
Possible fix for one circumstance where king objective became weird when king reconnected
Settings saved for join game filters.
Fixed a server browser sorting issue
Polish Localization.

didamangi

I was wondering if someone could help me out my might and magic clash of heroes seems to be really screwed up.

when starting up it is running at like 15 FPS and repeates the ubisoft logo twice before moving onto the capy logo which it repeats like 10 times before it finally moves on to the game where it continues to run very poorly.

When I last played the game it ran perfectly fine with no issues, and other games like saints row 3 still run smoothly right now.

changed my settings to run as admin and in compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 3
and I also completely deleted the local files and downloaded them again none of which has fixed the game.

anyone know how to resolve this issue. I was going to check if maybe it was related to the ubisoft releases in general but despite owning 400 plus games on steam I only own the one ubisoft game lol

Checking the steam forums, most suggests to restart your PC. Have you done that?

I know Jet Set Radio have that same problem/bug too and restarting does indeed fix it.

Eternia

I had similar issues when I was running with dual monitors. Ended up unplugging my old monitor since I never used it anyways which fixed the problem.

zulux21

Checking the steam forums, most suggests to restart your PC. Have you done that?

I know Jet Set Radio have that same problem/bug too and restarting does indeed fix it.

heh... despite that being the most logical thing to do I neglected to do that because I am waiting for the raptr rewards free deck pack one for magic 2013 to go live, I guess I have enough time to restart though so I will give that a try and report back.

heh... despite that being the most logical thing to do I neglected to do that because I am waiting for the raptr rewards free deck pack one for magic 2013 to go live, I guess I have enough time to restart though so I will give that a try and report back.

That's 45 min away. Your PC must be extremely slow.

zulux21

That's 45 min away. Your PC must be extremely slow.

nah it's not that slow, I just had everything nicely set up with notifications and what not with add ons that I have to reset up now. Plus I was interested in the Q&A at noon and watching a show on my computer.

also resetting did fix the issue. thanks for the response ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom