• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

So beat and delete has become an accepted term?

Can I officially submit the "Try and fry" category? It's for games that you play for 5 minutes, realize are complete garbage, and decide how best to hide their existence in your library.
Ah, you're referring to the "Utter Shit" category. Lower in the alphabet means you don't have to look at it.

def sim

I've only made that kind of mistake on console. I played a free Toyota Yaris game and earned an achievement, giving it permanence in my account record.

Actually, I earned several achievements.

1-D_FTW

Ah, you're referring to the "Utter Shit" category. Lower in the alphabet means you don't have to look at it.

Yes. But I think it needs a snazzy nickname since everyone has their own terms.

Like today, I tried to give Alpha Protocol another chance. Realized how awful the minigames were. And deleted. Try and fry. Backlog -1.

"Try and cry" sounds like a more fitting description of your scenario TBH.

Good point.

And in the case of me bad mouthing Alpha Protocol, everyone can cry with me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dude you just missed out on one of the best games ever because of your fragile emotional state.

One day you will play it proper and beat it and then want to punch Past 1-D in the face for denying Future 1-D that treasure for so long.

Kabouter

I found Prototype 1 a far more soulless experience. The absurd main character dialogue made me laugh in P2 and I felt like a proper super-dude which made the experience a lot more gratifying.

Most of these open world games become super mindless when going for 100% unfortunately.

While I didn't hate everything - I like the way your character moves through the game world - it was just a game that I really had to force myself to finish. I think part of the reason is the fact that everything that happens in the entire game is so horrible and makes so little sense. A world where the three main actors, the soulless evil geneticists of Gentech who do the most vile experiments imaginable, the insane Alex Mercer who pretty much wants to do the same horrible things to people and then there's you, the hero, you do similarly horrible shit to just about every person who stands in your way and even
experiment on some random people because hey, have to see what this poison gas does
. You devour people like it's nobody's business, and then suddenly, near the end
we're meant to believe the main character actually cares that the evil general has a family. Because all the other guys he devoured were orphaned childless single guys. Apparently. And it isn't like your character doesn't enjoy it, he regularly says shit like he's going to drink people's brains.
. So yeah, if you're the sort of person who really just tunes all that stuff out I can see why you'd enjoy the game, but it was just a few bridges too far for me.

Oh, and Alpha Protocol is amazing 1-D_FTW. You should feel bad if you don't like it.

1-D_FTW

Dude you just missed out on one of the best games ever because of your fragile emotional state.

One day you will play it proper and beat it and then want to punch Past 1-D in the face for denying Future 1-D that treasure for so long.

But this is the third time I've tried it.

I guess it'll have to be my STALKER. I'll try it every year. And one year I'll just force myself to not quit for two hours. Only problem with this: I knew I'd love STALKER if I just gave it the chance. Those fucking mini-games in AP, on the other hand...

1-D_FTW

M/K. I was going to try controller, then I couldn't remember which sucked last time I played. 10 minutes later I just didn't even care.

But for you, I'm gonna re-download the 11GB and give it another shot with the controller.

EDIT: I'm still forever calling these titles the "Try, Cry, and Fry" category.

zkylon

zkylewd
The minigames are definitively doable with M&K, but controller is super recommended.

Also, AP has sort of a rough first few hours, the game doesn't really show what it is until you get past Saudi Arabia and you start seeing all the subtle and not so subtle changes of your actions and meeting all the cool characters. Around that point is that it turns into pure unmeasurable bliss.

My "STALKER" would be Neverwinter Nights 2. I'm dumb and want to finish the main campaign before doing Mask of the Betrayer (do you need to, anyways?) and every year I try it and I never manage to get too far before it bores me to tears.

Caerith

Well as long as we're talking games we won't play, Jade Empire. I gave it a shot after getting it maybe two or three winter sales ago and promptly created my Unplayable Garbage category due to completely invisible cursors and no patch.

I'm planning on playing Alpha Protocol for the first time soon. I kind of want to play it as a super dick, but it will it matter if it's my only play through? I have too many games and may never play through again.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
After one of the recent updates, Steam stopped seeing every game I have installed on my 2nd hard drive. They are all still safe and sound in the steamapps folder on the E: drive, but the library doesn't detect them.

Is there any remedy to this issue?

I recently played both Prototypes for the first time back-to-back, starting with Prototype 2. The protagonists in both are incredibly unlikable and the plots were downright terrible. That said, from a gameplay perspective, I found Prototype 2 sold the power fantasy of a shape shifting, tentacle monstrosity in a much more satisfying way. Prototype 2 scales nicely, you start the game being able to leap tall buildings and wreck a few things with your powers and by the end you're soaring above city blocks, running around as fast as The Flash and eviscerating everything in sight. I found with the first Prototype, the further I got in the game the more I had to rely on vehicles and weapons, not your fantastic powers. I found the design of the first game to be downright lazy and arbitrary. You killed stuff, earned points and just bought powers from a menu, there was no context for any of it in the game itself. In Prototype 2, you kill an enemy with a new power, absorb that power Mega Man style and immediately have to use it against specific enemy types. Even the upgrade system for your power was tied to openworld activities, you see a beasty with a genetic marker over top its head and drop what you're doing to stop, fight, kill and absorb it for an upgrade.

I had fun with Prototype 2.

Kabouter

Well as long as we're talking games we won't play, Jade Empire. I gave it a shot after getting it maybe two or three winter sales ago and promptly created my Unplayable Garbage category due to completely invisible cursors and no patch.

I got about 5 hours or something maybe into Jade Empire, ran into a bug that meant I couldn't continue, was fine with that. Definitely not my thing.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm planning on playing Alpha Protocol for the first time soon. I kind of want to play it as a super dick, but it will it matter if it's my only play through? I have too many games and may never play through again.
No, it's a valid way to play it, although you'll miss on stuff if you just shoot everyone every chance you get.

I've beaten it like 4 times and the asshole run was probably the one I enjoyed the most.

HoosTrax

Why is League of Legends in the registry?

Isn't that a little awkward? I mean I guess they're ok with Killing Floor being sold right next to their own zombie shooty game, but still.

Edit: Oh right, and Arctic Warfare / CS, MicroVolts / TF2, etc. I guess nothing to see here then. Business as usual.

zkylon

zkylewd
It was available through Steam in the past.
Why is that awkward?
Well, Valve is in the MOBA market with Dota 2, so you'd imagine they wouldn't like competition so much.

Kinda like a CoD game being sold on Origin.

Also, meh. I thought I was gonna get cheap skins :/

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well, Valve is in the MOBA market with Dota 2, so you'd imagine they wouldn't like competition so much.

Or like other FPSes being available on Steam. There will never be a day when FPSes made by companies other than Valve will be on Steam.

zkylon

zkylewd
Or like other FPSes being available on Steam. There will never be a day when FPSes made by companies other than Valve will be on Steam.
Don't be dense. Dota 2 and League of Legends are in ongoing and direct competition. Half Life/Left 4 Dead and Call of Duty are not.

It's really not that hard to grasp.

Also, meh. I thought I was gonna get cheap skins :/

Valve is also in the competitive FPS market, the single player FPS market, the first-person puzzler market and so on.

They don't pick and choose games just to stifle competition on Steam.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Don't be dense. Dota 2 and League of Legends are in ongoing and direct competition. Half Life/Left 4 Dead and Call of Duty are not.

It's really not that hard to grasp.

Demigod is also in direct competition with them, but is on Steam. As is Awesomenauts.

League of Legends isn't on Steam because Riot doesn't want to agree to Valve's DLC conditions (ie giving up a portion of their revenue), and their userbase proves that they don't need Steam for awareness or anything like that... Why would Riot put LoL on Steam?

Grief.exe

Got my feet wet with FTL and made it to sector 5.

Had problems because I was running out of fuel and missles, didn't find any new crew members or items along the way either.

zkylon

zkylewd
Valve is also in the competitive FPS market, the single player FPS market, the first-person puzzler market and so on.

They don't pick and choose games just to stifle competition on Steam.
I'm not saying they do, I'm saying that's why he/she thought it'd be awkward.

Dota 2 VS LoL is the CoD VS Battlefield/Medal of Honor of MOBAs.

League of Legends isn't on Steam because Riot doesn't want to agree to Valve's DLC conditions (ie giving up a portion of their revenue), and their userbase proves that they don't need Steam for awareness or anything like that... Why would Riot put LoL on Steam?
So they catch the sales bug and sell me cheap skins, that's why.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I recently played both Prototypes for the first time back-to-back, starting with Prototype 2. The protagonists in both are incredibly unlikable and the plots were downright terrible. That said, from a gameplay perspective, I found Prototype 2 sold the power fantasy of a shape shifting, tentacle monstrosity in a much more satisfying way. Prototype 2 scales nicely, you start the game being able to leap tall buildings and wreck a few things with your powers and by the end you're soaring above city blocks, running around as fast as The Flash and eviscerating everything in sight. I found with the first Prototype, the further I got in the game the more I had to rely on vehicles and weapons, not your fantastic powers. I found the design of the first game to be downright lazy and arbitrary. You killed stuff, earned points and just bought powers from a menu, there was no context for any of it in the game itself. In Prototype 2, you kill an enemy with a new power, absorb that power Mega Man style and immediately have to use it against specific enemy types. Even the upgrade system for your power was tied to openworld activities, you see a beasty with a genetic marker over top its head and drop what you're doing to stop, fight, kill and absorb it for an upgrade.

I had fun with Prototype 2.
Brofist.jpg

Javaman

Here's what I got last year via JUST crafting and trading:

RAGE
Bulletstorm
Fallout 3 GOTY
Dead Space 2
Magicka

I had to work my ass off for it, though, because I spent _all day_ at my computer either installing shitty games, getting achievements, monitoring the price of coal, trading forums, etc.

Trading what for coal? Or did you trade coal for the games? I remember coal being WAY over valued at the beginning when people were bragging about their crafts. Lot of people thought you had better chances to craft something good than you really did.

capsule_467x181.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224300/

Tomodachi

An adventurous expedition undertaken by any of the sons of Uranus and Gaea, including Coeus, Crius, Cronus, Hyperion, Iapetus, and Oceanus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom