• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I have a PDP controller which has a digital stick and I'm trying to find games to utilize it more. Unfortunately I missed the Genesis game collection sale on Amazon. Any recommendations? So far the most kickass thing I've done with it is play Jamestown.

Minsc

Gold Member
Grimrock looks like time move without your input on a tileset. I hope not because ew.

That's how the classics worked. Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, Lands of Lore... it works fine, there's a limited degree of actions you can make, and even abusing the system generally requires an order of magnitude less coordination than playing Bastion etc. It helps add a little suspense too, that something might be coming after you while you're figuring out some complex floor trap, hanging on to the edge of your life wishing you had a few more health potions.

jediyoshi

Definitely worth that price. I got K&L 2 for around a fiver and really enjoyed it. It doesn't really try to be much more than a standard third person shooter but as one of those, it's a fun ~5 hour experience.

Yeah. Anything that's cost $50 at some point that ever makes its way down to <$5 is a pretty quick impulse purchase for me. I just appreciate the balls of whichever person on their dev team pushed for having the camera effects as extreme as they are.

Dice

Nikopol and Twin Sector to the person who can tell me if you can turn off bloom in Grotesque Tactics.

camerooni

Neo Member
Age of Empires Online = GfWL title?

If so, does it install a client for it, or is it just an account login?

It installs the Games for Windows Client.. but as far as I can tell they've stripped it back heaps.. Clicking marketplace in the steam version of the game goes to the steam store page.. and if you open the GFWL tab (home button) there doesn't appear to be a link to the GFWL Marketplace anymore.. unless I'm just THAT tired and it was never there.. I'm sure you used to be able to browse the mspoint store in there..

Nice to see any and all links to buying stuff in AoE goes via the Steam Store in the steam version rather than buy the code in the steam store and then put it in the GFWL store 'redeem key' page..

Oooh.. there also seems to be a nifty 'in-game' Steam purchase pop-up window that I haven't seen before (let me know if i'm just bonkers and that's been around for micro-transaction games for yonks or something though yeh)..

Also those looking for packs - there is also a 'Celtic Defense' pack that includes both the Premium Celt race and the Crete Defence Booster pack for the same price as either of them on their own - didn't find it easily in the Steam Store but it's fairly obvious in the in-game marketplace.

Perhaps steam are trying to reduce the 'dlc spam' from the new releases front page by just not listing things, and having them highlighted in the game rather than the steam client itself?

Freezard

Awesome, I played AoEO in the beta stage and for a few months after release, but decided to wait until the DLC got cheaper (used to be 20€ per civilization). I found the quest mode pretty fun the game likes to tease you with new and super powerful DLC only units and tons of premium items so better get that DLC.

Some things that annoyed me were the lack of stop/hold position/patrol/follow hotkeys. Not acceptable in a modern RTS. Not to say having to babysit the AI a lot because of fishing boats not looking for other fish once depleted, combat units prioritizing workers over guard towers and other stuff. Hopefully these things have been fixed now though?

If you currently have AOEO installed and you want to switch to the Steam platform

Update and uninstall your current game then reinstall via steam. This will ensure the most efficient uninstall process and make reinstalling from Steam much smoother.
The Steam version WILL include the GFWL platform (i.e. you still sign in with a gamertag etc).

If you currently have AOEO installed and you want to switch to the Steam platform

Update and uninstall your current game then reinstall via steam. This will ensure the most efficient uninstall process and make reinstalling from Steam much smoother.
The Steam version WILL include the GFWL platform (i.e. you still sign in with a gamertag etc).

Is that official advice or just your own. Not that it doesnt seem like good advice if its the latter.

camerooni

Neo Member
Also when I signed up back in the day I got the Skirmish pack for free.. Steam says I don't own it, but the GFWL still recognises it on my account which is nice.

I'm thinking about getting the All in Wonder pack but I'm trying not to spend money.. If I don't get it now I'll probably kick myself down the track.. do you reckon they'll have a similar deal like this down the track?

Nikopol and Twin Sector to the person who can tell me if you can turn off bloom in Grotesque Tactics.

I also hated the bloom in this game, but as I searched through the internet...
... seems there is no option.

There are quite a few people who are pissed of about that.

(But even with the bloom, its a nice little Game I think :))

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It isn't an alliance so much as it is Microsoft begrudgingly accepting the irrelevance of the GFWL Marketplace.

There's a bundle with all the important DLC at 66% discount:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13943

I did not see that.

All civilizations and boosters for US$ 16.99!!! Shame that I did pay US$ 25 for all of those minus the Celtics at GFWL marketplace some days ago.... still have to play it. (But it should be worse to the people who bought th subscription for US$ 100).

Now I am considering to double dip just for the sake of Steam.... anyway to transfer your GFWL licenses to Steam?

It isn't an alliance so much as it is Microsoft begrudgingly accepting the irrelevance of the GFWL Marketplace.

A short while ago MS wouldnt have accepted anything. They would have just marched on stomping around with a bad product. At least they can admit they didnt do it right and then start doing it right where both companies benefit.

Dice

Okay so Leon Belmont PMed me first but had no confirmation (had to ask his friend) until after Chairmanchuck who didn't have complete confirmation but close enough I would say since he saw the pissed-off-ness of owners.

In this situation, I feel it is right to let Chairmanchuck get first pick between the two games and Leon Belmont will get the other one.

And now I must also decide what to do with Grotesque Tactics...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It's the glow intensity slider that controls it.

Max
grotesquetactics2012-kvk18.png

Off
grotesquetactics2012-zojgh.png

Bisonian

I did not see that.

All civilizations and boosters for US$ 16.99!!! Shame that I did pay US$ 25 for all of those minus the Celtics at GFWL marketplace some days ago.... still have to play it. (But it should be worse to the people who bought th subscription for US$ 100).

Now I am considering to double dip just for the sake of Steam.... anyway to transfer your GFWL licenses to Steam?

There doesn't seem to be a huge change between the two systems, you still have to launch through GFWL, although it seems the store now links to Steam rather then to the GFWL store. It looks like someone on the last page linked some instructions for switching over though.

Mrbob

Sweet, downloading AoE Online when I get home!

It seems the alliance MS made with Valve could be bigger than I thought. 360 Steam functionality annoucement at E3 anyone?

I think MS finally realized they were being counter productive by ignoring Steam on the PC. I don't expect the walled garden on 360 to be breached anytime soon.

Freezard

thanks I think i'll consider this. I wonder if patching will go through Steam as well?

I have now migrated my game to Steam, the uninstall wouldn't work but I just deleted the folder manually since everything is saved on the cloud anyway. The patching is handled by the game's own updater, it's basically the same as before except you can use the Steam overlay, and the DLC is bought at Steam. Achievements are still GFWL only but hopefully that will change.

*Off to buy the DLC pack*

inky

And the Celts are finally launched, and a lot of bugs fixed... and every civ is $5 on Steam. Nice. I don't think the sale is going on in GFWL, is it? I still have some points =/

Edit: I guess it is! Celts bought.

Woke up this morning to see an email from Steam. It was all in spanish so at first I thought it was an odd spam attempt then I saw who it was from.

Thanks so much for DOTA2 RelaxMX!

Tess3ract

Banned
Okay so Leon Belmont PMed me first but had no confirmation (had to ask his friend) until after Chairmanchuck who didn't have complete confirmation but close enough I would say since he saw the pissed-off-ness of owners.

In this situation, I feel it is right to let Chairmanchuck get first pick between the two games and Leon Belmont will get the other one.

And now I must also decide what to do with Grotesque Tactics...

Play it! I don't usually like bloom but the game owns!

I just want something that doesn't look like it was made by a bored high schooler in 1997.

The thing I hate most about windows 7 and windows 8 is the excessive amount of space the UI takes up. Fuck that shit with a rusty pitchfork. Minimalism = everything

You call it "useless padding", everyone else calls it "graphic design". There's such a concept as white space you know. I agree with the other guy that Steam Compact is really ugly.

I understand the concept of white space. I also understand the concept of form follows function.

"The credo was taken to imply that decorative elements, which architects call "ornament," were superfluous"

Now get out with your hipster artsy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom