• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dambrosi

Banned
the choice is easy ...

since you're willing to spend up to $15 for Ys ...i'd recommend buying both Trine 2 and Gotham City Impostors. you get 2 good games for the price you'd pay for Ys.

more bang for the buck.

I'm British. It's only £9.99 for Ys over here, while both Trine 2 and GCI are £5.99 each (£11.98 for both).

Still, I see your point. But I'm poor, and even £9.99 is a lot of money for a Steam game to me, so that's why I'm asking - otherwise, I'd have bought them all at once!

So, including your and Miri's votes, the current tally is:

Ys - 2 3 4 votes (thanks DimmuBurgerKing and Eusis)
GCI - 2 votes
Trine 2 - 1 vote

Any more? Thanks for all the votes so far, btw, much appreciated.

Although, from the above conversation, maybe I should just get Trine 1 to see if I like it (never played it) and wait for another sale down the road?

Eusis

I'd vote for Ys. You'd probably get more playtime out of those other two, but if you really get into Ys you could easily like it more than both combined. If you're in the mood for a more 16-bit like action RPG than by all means jump on it.

dLMN8R

The only problem I had with Trine was how poor the platforming felt. It was always way too easy to slip off the edge of a platform you thought you were solidly on, and the way the physics of the game worked, you'd fall extremely quickly making you unable to recover easily from such a fall.

The only problem I had with Trine was how poor the platforming felt. It was always way too easy to slip off the edge of a platform you thought you were solidly on, and the way the physics of the game worked, you'd fall extremely quickly making you unable to recover easily from such a fall.

I enjoyed Trine until the second to last level (or at least close to one of the last levels) where it was an overly long level filled with tons of enemy spawn points.

dLMN8R

I believe the last level being way too difficult was a major issue everyone agreed on, but by the time I played it, it had been significantly overhauled and made much easier. I think I died just once on the final level.

Seeing as I already have Bulletstorm, which one, GAF? I can't decide between:

Trine Collector's Edition (for both Trine 1 and 2)
Gotham City Impostors (TB made it look goooooooooood) and Trine 1
Ys: The Oath In Felghana

Please make my choice for me
because I'm lazy
!

Yeah, I'd for sure go with Ys. Not that the other 2 are bad, but I bought Ys on a whim and so far it's fantastic.

1-D_FTW

I believe the last level being way too difficult was a major issue everyone agreed on, but by the time I played it, it had been significantly overhauled and made much easier. I think I died just once on the final level.

Makes sense. I was LTTP and absolutely LOVED the game. No issues with the final level, but I can see how they nerfed it. Because there were some design decisions that struck me as odd (but was thankful for, because I knew it'd be a bitch without).

DiRT 3 made me sign into GFWL for single player, but it was only a minor inconvenience. Honestly, I think there's too much groundless complaining about GFWL in the gaming community, though two layers of sign-in is a bit stupid IMO..

Plenty of it's grounded. And people have spelled out the issues enough times for anyone interested in what those issues are.

Still, I'll take LIVE over Origin or Ubi Play at this point.

epmode

I was always amazed by the way my Dirt 3 framerate was nearly halved after signing in to an online GFWL profile. It was pretty noticeable on my old computer (from 55-60 FPS to 35 with D3D Overrider).

1-D_FTW

I was always amazed by the way my Dirt 3 framerate actually decreased after signing in to an online GFWL profile. It was pretty noticeable on my old computer (5-10 FPS).

Codemaster games also have a habit of getting the GWFL save file eaten. And the DX 11 bug is almost certainly tied to it since the game has never crashed for me if signed out. Codemasters and GFWL has a whole list of the LIVE bug-a-boos attached to it. Thankfully they seem to be going Steamworks, because they're not very good with making Live work well with their software.

epmode

Aiee, caught me before the edit. I found an old thread on the subject and saw that it was actually a huge drop, not just 5-10 frames.

To clarify it's not just QTEs, but more the interruptions. If you don't consider slowing down the gameplay, and being told to press a button a QTE. Then that's what I'm talking about.
Still, for 5 bucks nobody's gonna get too mad if they don't like it.
Sure but if you say that about every $5 game that goes on sale which is of middling appeal a lot of people are gonna end up with shit they don't want. I got it, I enjoyed what I played.. but it wasn't a forgotten gem of last year as far as I can tell.
Sounds like something I can skip.
There's a demo I think. Gives a good impression of what you can expect, there's a lot of big set pieces in the finished product.
That's being a bit reductive, no? There are some annoying QTE's and scripted interruptions in Bulletstorm, but that's obviously not why some of us are fond of the game. The skillshot system added a fun, combo-focused twist to the fast and gory combat, and I loved the colorful and stylized environments. It's linear and peppered with set piece moments, but I think it did the cinematic thrill-ride thing better than all the Call of Duties and Uncharteds.
The gameplay is pretty solid aside from the bullet sponging which can get a bit excessive, it's a good parody of a lot of stuff. But they dole it out in such small bursts. I can't deal with all the "press something to look at this"

There is fun to be had with the game, certainly $5 worth. It just doesn't value your time in its presentation.

1-D_FTW

Sure but if you say that about every $5 game that goes on sale which is of middling appeal a lot of people are gonna end up with shit they don't want. I got it, I enjoyed what I played.. but it wasn't a forgotten gem of last year as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't call it middling. It's very good for what it does. And it's never going to go lower than 5 dollars (plus there's the whole EA could pull their entire catalog at any point). So if you like shooters, it's a good game to place a bet on. It's possible it'll turn you off, but it's only 5 bucks if you fall into that minority. Hence it's not a bad bet.

Ledsen

Seeing as I already have Bulletstorm, which one, GAF? I can't decide between:

Trine Collector's Edition (for both Trine 1 and 2)
Gotham City Impostors (TB made it look goooooooooood) and Trine 1
Ys: The Oath In Felghana

Please make my choice for me
because I'm lazy
!

The Trine games are excellent, but Ys is one of the best action RPGs of all time. It's simple a classic and a must-play.

Tribe wasn't for me, so can't really give too much opinion. Didn't like it, didn't think it was bad either, though.

Gotham City seems okay. Haven't spent much time with it yet. Fuck GFWL though. I went to put in the code for some of the DLC I bought and the GFW client crashed. Garbage. Not as bad as erasing my arkham city save at least.

Y's is fuck awesome. I'm only through the first dungeon, but it seems pretty damn awesome. I've never played a Y's game before,and hate silent protagonists, but the game is still awesome as shit.

zkylon

zkylewd
just watched a 20 minute intro of Bulletstorm and I still can't see the appeal. It still feels way to dudebro-ish for my liking.
The combat is a lot more involved than just shooting everything in sight, the dashing is the closest an FPS will probably get to Vanquish-awesome and the dudebro stuff is just purposely blown out to ridiculous-land. The weapons (I know a lot of people hate the sniper rifle but I loved it) and overall difficulty curve are pretty good, too.

If you don't like its kind of humor then you shouldn't buy it, but that 20 minute walkthrough just covers the very beginning, and it's the less funny and the less interesting part of the game.

Dambrosi

Banned
Ys. Seriously, it's the best action RPG I've played in a long time.

Yeah, I'd for sure go with Ys. Not that the other 2 are bad, but I bought Ys on a whim and so far it's fantastic.

I'd vote for Ys. You'd probably get more playtime out of those other two, but if you really get into Ys you could easily like it more than both combined. If you're in the mood for a more 16-bit like action RPG than by all means jump on it.

The Trine games are excellent, but Ys is one of the best action RPGs of all time. It's simple a classic and a must-play.

Y's is fuck awesome. I'm only through the first dungeon, but it seems pretty damn awesome. I've never played a Y's game before,and hate silent protagonists, but the game is still awesome as shit.

Uhh...yeah, and I declare an overwhelming, Obama 2012-style landslide for Ys! Guess I'll be buying that, then. Aaaaaaaand done, downloading now.

Oh, and out of curiosity
for how it would run on my new Windows 7 setup
, I just spent a couple of hours in Explosion Town. Holy shit, you guys weren't joking when you said this game was one of the best shooters around
though I'd still rate Hard Reset as slightly better, with Crysis at the tippity-top
. Well worth the paltry sum asked, even with GFWL attached like a festering tumour.

derFeef

just watched a 20 minute intro of Bulletstorm and I still can't see the appeal. It still feels way to dudebro-ish for my liking.

20 minutes... you don't even get your leash or your "skillshot gear" during that I think.
The game goes from "eh... fairly standard FPS" to "OMG what is this I need more of it" if you progress. It's hard to explain, but you can do crazy stuff with the weapons. My favourite was the bouncing ball one.

Run, junior, run!

EDIT: That would be great for valve to announce the next half-life on April fools. Not as a joke, but seriously announce it. Maybe next year.

ArjanN

20 minutes... you don't even get your leash or your "skillshot gear" during that I think.
The game goes from "eh... fairly standard FPS" to "OMG what is this I need more of it" if you progress. It's hard to explain, but you can do crazy stuff with the weapons. My favourite was the bouncing ball one.

The dudebro-ness is pretty much all tongue in cheek anyway, it's not like in Gears where it takes itself serious almost all the time.

Card Boy

Banned
I would probaly give Bulletstorm a 3 out of 5, Its pretty mediocre. If you're on the fence then don't by it, there are hundreds of other games out there that deserve your attention more than Bulletstorm.

Thats my opinion feel free to do whatever you want. If you end up not liking it, then 'I told you so'

I didn't care for a lot of the dialogue in Bulletstorm but other than that it was pretty enjoyable. A fun, over-the-top shooter. I love the skillshot system.

derFeef

I would probaly give Bulletstorm a 3 out of 5, Its pretty mediocre. If you're on the fence then don't by it, there are hundreds of other games out there that deserve your attention more than Bulletstorm.

Thats my opinion feel free to do whatever you want. If you end up not liking it, then 'I told you so'

5 bucks for that gem is hard to complain about, though. If you are unsure about it I will buy it for you...

Eusis

So, two questions about Ys. One, how do you pronounce it? Two, are games in the series related or is it like final fantasy?
For how interconnected the series is, they're related but it's episodic. More like Elder Scrolls/Fallout and less like Baldur's Gate or Mass Effect, so most games are safe to jump into without playing prior ones. You just don't want to do II without I or anything, then there's Origin but that's a distant prequel so I believe it works either way if you play it before or after.

Fou-Lu

I am totally on the fence for Bulletstorm, I haven't enjoyed many shooters this gen, my favorite of the few I enjoyed being Hard Reset. Still, it is tempting.

M*A*S*H

I really enjoyed the dialogue with the villain towards the end of bulletstorm. Until that point he had been more crass than anything else; nothing but incessant and grating toilet humour. Then he chews up your character and spits him out, laying the most enormous guilt trip I've come across in a game. A rare moment of zen like clarity and more memorable than redecorating a fat man's anus with molten lead for the umpteenth time.

zkylon

zkylewd
My fave's the Flailgun or the quad-barrel shotgun. Good times.

Rufus

Get Bulletstorm, for sure.

But don't have a German gift it to you. At least not from a German IP, because then you'll get the low violence version (unless something's changed in the way things work and I'm unaware of it). You do not want that. Dismemberment is entirely gone, blood effects reduced or cut entirely, etc.
The game is a looker and a lot of fun regardless but there's no denying that the excessive gore adds to its tone.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I wasn't as big a fan of Bulletstorm as most people here (the complete lack of challenge really hurt it in my eyes, and I wasn't fond of how often things would stop so the characters could chat either), but it's easily worth the $5. The gunplay is very strong, with a few excellent weapons. I mean you can blow out a dude's butthole with a quad-barreled shotgun. C'mon, now.

I really enjoyed the dialogue with the villain towards the end of bulletstorm. Until that point he had been more crass than anything else; nothing but incessant and grating toilet humour. Then he chews up your character and spits him out, laying the most enormous guilt trip I've come across in a game. A rare moment of zen like clarity and more memorable than redecorating a fat man's anus with molten lead for the umpteenth time.

Oh, I completely forgot about all of that. That was pretty good. I normally have no problems with loads of swearing or whatever but it did nothing for me in Bulletstorm. I guess it felt like they were trying too hard to be funny and it just wasn't working for me.

HoosTrax

The gameplay of Bulletstorm has that "oh snap!", visceral presentation. Hell, we'll talking about a game that gives you a sniper rifle that fires rounds you can remote control sort of like the old Redeemer from UT.

The "QTE"s people are referring to are simple button presses that give you bonus sp, which are used to buy extra ammo and weapon upgrades -- they're not taxing and you're never really short of sp even if you perform mediocre in the QTE events, because you get so much sp just by killing enemies in fancy ways and doing combos. The QTEs are minor features that don't hinder your progress in any way even if you don't react to them (except in one case, maybe?).

On the other hand, Bulletstorm also had some of the worst lines, most obnoxious main characters, and most juvenile humor I've ever experienced in a game. I didn't feel any desire to sit through a second playthrough -- I could barely tolerate the voice acting in the first one. There aren't too many games I've played where I actively hated the character I played (to be fair, I haven't played DNF yet).

chixdiggit

I am totally on the fence for Bulletstorm, I haven't enjoyed many shooters this gen, my favorite of the few I enjoyed being Hard Reset. Still, it is tempting.

If you liked Hard Reset chances are you will like Bullet Storm. It's not as good as Hard Reset but for $5 it's worth the time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Some of these comments on BulletStorm...

imbrugesgif08ap0.gif

Lingitiz

Bulletstorm is amazing, really considering double dipping at $5. Once you learn the skillshot system everything comes together really nicely.

I actually just beat Bulletstorm last night, and I had a blast. It's pretty short, about 6-8 hours, but the dialog was great and it looks really nice on PC. For $5, I say pick it up.

Card Boy

Banned
5 dollars...I don't want to buy it and get another duke shit'em

Don't get it trust me on this.

The game is linear straight line style like COD/FF13
Characters are shit and unlikeable, Ishi is the worst.
Bloom/lensflare effects everywhere
Game gets worse during the last 3rd of it.
Check point, cutscene, big fight, rise and repeat every 10 minutes with the big boss every now and then. You can actually predict when this will happen.
QTES
GFWL

Basically only get it if you want heaps of different ways to kill people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom