• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

The M.O.B

Lulz, the sound affects in ORION, many are from HL2/CSS. I'm guessing the hit impacts and player death groans are just open source...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If the sound effects aren't original (it did start as a mod btw) that could give credibility to Spiral saying the two sound "employees" weren't delivering. The reddit looks like a huge mess and it's hard to tell what all is going on. Is it just concerning 3 guys? They seem to want to make it sound like way more than that. It's also really complicated. It started out as a mod were people were working on it for free. Later they figured it could be a game they can sell, but some guys were still working for free because they liked the project and whatever it would add to their portfolio.

However, it seems the involvement of money to make it a selling project put on a timeframe and measure of pressure where the typical mutual cooperation mindset you have in a modding environment was gone, so they canned some guys. Those guys don't seem to care about getting paid so much as they do that they were fired and now someone will make money in part due to their efforts. Okay, so from what I gather on this, in terms of what seems reasonably believable, is that transition from mod to game was messy. It also seems like some guys decided they'd work for free, which was their choice and they shouldn't blame Prassel's charisma or whatever, and then when they felt personally insulted from a shitty way of being dropped from the project, they feel different about the generosity of the work they did for free.

It seems like Prassel could either be an asshole, or just unprofessional in knowing how to deal with sticky situations as development environment had to change to meet demands of promises made when it was turned into a financed project. And these guys, even though not being treated perfectly well (if it's true about the lying and surprise firing), seem to be playing things up and putting more blame on others because they regret their own decisions. Playing up anything makes their claims a bit suspect, as I have definitely seen how salty/petty/dishonest former employees can be.

I'll have to see this play out more. In the meantime, the game looks cheesy but fun.

DTKT

But Steamworks is free.

Sure, but creating and maintaining your own service might encourage players to buy directly from you, bypassing Valve's 30% cut. There's a big push to create a "service" instead of a product. That's exactly what ELITE is.

Card Boy

Banned
Sure, but creating and maintaining your own service might encourage players to buy directly from you, bypassing Valve 30% cut.

Unless they are making their own DD store or selling on Battlenet every other DD Storefront is going to take 30% cut and even more at retail.

DTKT

Unless they are making their own DD store or selling on Battlenet every other DD Storefront is going to take 30% cut and even more at retail.

Battle.net is pretty much already set-up. They just need to expand it to include Blizzard + Activision games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you have to chose between purchasing Binary Domain or Sniper Elite V2, pick Binary Domain.

The game has more character/soul/heart in the first level than the entirety of SE.

Also, Big Bo.

vazel

Banned
WTH were those fucks doing to that poor t-rex. Poor creature wasn't even fighting back most of the time.

Game looks unimaginative as hell. Halo art + Killing Floor gameplay. It doesn't have the lame slow motion sequences from Killing Floor so maybe it'll be worth a purchase during the summer sale if it still ranks in the Steam activity stats.

Edit: hahaha, the raptor jumping on the dude's hovercraft was awesome.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, we really need a Dinosaur game that isn't focused on shooting them, or at least not entirely focused on shooting like Trespasser. I can't think of any other setting more deserving of a quality, modern game.

vazel

Banned
Man, we really need a Dinosaur game that isn't focused on shooting them, or at least not entirely focused on shooting like Trespasser. I can't think of any other setting more deserving of a quality, modern game.
Too bad BC was canned. Instead of shooting dinosaurs you kill them with spears and guile. And they kill each other as well in the prehistoric food chain.

I just got hit with a 200mb update and then sometime this afternoon, while my computer was in sleep mode, a 15gb update for the Witcher.

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, and it was some steam bug that caused it, but did it really download 15gb?

I'm looking at the total downloaded counter in the downloads section of Steam and it only says 4.4 GB (from Sniper Elite and Deus Ex Missing Link).

Is the counter accurate?

wilflare

anyone else not being able to trade?
view community profiles
or even access steamcommunity.com?

i could not do all that unless i login via a VPN
any ideas? :/

Adnor

Banned
And now I understand why everyone hates GFWL, sigh... for some reason it doesn't let me redeem the code of Nightwing's DLC for Batman: AC.
On the game it just says "Put a valid code" and on Xbox Live homepage the green wheel thing just... spins... but the code is valid, is the one I got from Steam.
Luckily I just bought one DLC, I doubt I will buy another game that uses GFWL now :/

Salsa

holy crap. i played the first chapter of alan wake yesterday and today i literally played from two onwards to the end in one sitting nonstop. Easily one of the best experiences i've had this gen, loved pretty much every aspect of the game. Id start the Dlc right now but its 5am, damn

edit: fuck it, starting the signal

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
holy crap. i played the first chapter of alan wake yesterday and today i literally played from two onwards to the end in one sitting nonstop. Easily one of the best experiences i've had this gen, loved pretty much every aspect of the game. Id start the Dlc right now but its 5am, damn

The Signal is terrible, however The Writer is much better.

theRizzle

The Signal is terrible, however The Writer is much better.

More or less agree here, although I wouldn't call The Signal terrible, it is just not that great compared to the core game and The Signal.

A lot of people hate AW because of the lack of complexity in the combat - which I can understand - but I LOVE the atmosphere. I love the setting, I found the plot to be very enjoyable, and I found the game's major set-pieces to be memorable and exciting. I really am looking forward to whatever Remedy produces next in the AW series.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
More or less agree here, although I wouldn't call The Signal terrible, it is just not that great compared to the core game and The Signal.

I just found it really dull, both from a narrative and mechanic standpoint. The Writer does a great job of building upon both of the aforementioned aspects, though (the latter more than the former).

Yep, such a good game. I usually don't like narrative driven games but this just works and the gameplay never gets in the way. The port is also fantastic, mouse feels good, runs auper smooth, looks stunning in the night shots. Textures could me more high res and less washed out during day shots but it's no biggie. Looking forward to American Nightmare.

Salsa

yeah not loving the signal. i love the combat in the game actually so that's good, but this is hard in a bad way, nothing like the main game

Ledsen

You my latino friend have great taste. The atmosphere in AW is off the charts.

I can't imagine going through the DLC straight like that. I was burned out on the combat in the main game by the end, the DLC was terribly designed in terms of combat encounters too.

Not to mention the story really went to shit.

Because I feel it’s only right I educate people on what they’re doing when they give money to a developer with shadier motives and history than Volition Games.

Wait, what's wrong with Volition? Honestly curious, never heard anything shady about them.

Orion is terrible, by the way. People should steer clear regardless of plagiarism and other bad voodoo.

Salsa

holy incnsistency barman, the writer was amazing.

anyway, that concludes this fuckin marathon run, lol. 7:30am now. been a while since i spent a whole day Just playing a game, with breaks Just for lunch/dinner, feelsgoodman. glad i had the free time to do it today, and the weather was shit anyway!

again: amazing game, best ive played in a while. really glad american nightmare popped up on the registry since i really wanna kick some mr. scratch ass now.

anyway, good "night"

derFeef

anyway, that concludes this fuckin marathon run, lol. 7:30am now. been a while since i spent a whole day Just playing a game, with breaks Just for lunch/dinner, feelsgoodman. glad i had the free time to do it today, and the weather was shit anyway!

again: amazing game, best ive played in a while. really glad american nightmare popped up on the registry since i really wanna kick some mr. scratch ass now.

anyway, good "night"

night!
Appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYZjggIwWjc

anyway, good "night"

!

WHERE? WHEN? WHO? WHAT?!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
!

WHERE? WHEN? WHO? WHAT?!

American Nightmare appeared on the Steam registry last month. Seems to have a high chance of coming to Steam.

As a big fan of the original, my impressions on American Nightmare are a bit mixed, but in the end I loved it. It's kind of hard to explain but American Nightmare is both extremely familiar to Alan Wake 1, but also completely different. The linear story-constructed stages give way to some really cool open-world explorable levels which are of good size to be fun to explore, but not large enough to get lost in. The combat is greatly improved, much tighter and more intense. Graphics are improved, some really cool set-pieces, better enemy and weapon variety... But the story is a lot simpler and more cheesy, but in a way it seems intentional. Mr. Scratch is a great villain, but I feel that American Nightmare doesn't use him to the fullest in gameplay. They develop him nicely and then just sort of have an unsatisfying conclusion to the arch. It also is a bit of a drag to go through the same three story locations three times, but I will admit they did a good job at making each trip different than the last.

Also Fight Till Dawn Mode is a lot more fun that I thought it would be. It's also nice to get unique maps for Fight Till Dawn that don't appear in the story mode, but are still fairly large and explorable.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Namco released a one track demo for Ridge Racer: Unbounded.

Two tracks in the same zone actually, one at dusk one at night. The demo is like a 700 mb download so I'd actually recommend people check it out. I was surprisingly pleased with the handling (though there were quite a few other issues).

Like 2 months ago during one of the daily registry harvests.

American Nightmare appeared on the Steam registry last month. Seems to have a high chance of coming to Steam.

As a big fan of the original, my impressions on American Nightmare are a bit mixed, but in the end I loved it. It's kind of hard to explain but American Nightmare is both extremely familiar to Alan Wake 1, but also completely different. The linear story-constructed stages give way to some really cool open-world explorable levels which are of good size to be fun to explore, but not large enough to get lost in. The combat is greatly improved, much tighter and more intense. Graphics are improved, some really cool set-pieces, better enemy and weapon variety... But the story is a lot simpler and more cheesy, but in a way it seems intentional. Mr. Scratch is a great villain, but I feel that American Nightmare doesn't use him to the fullest in gameplay. They develop him nicely and then just sort of have an unsatisfying conclusion to the arch. It also is a bit of a drag to go through the same three story locations three times, but I will admit they did a good job at making each trip different than the last.

Also Fight Till Dawn Mode is a lot more fun that I thought it would be. It's also nice to get unique maps for Fight Till Dawn that don't appear in the story mode, but are still fairly large and explorable.

More Alan Wake is always a good thing IMO. Really hope it comes to PC.

Thanks for the impressions Dusk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom