• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Is there a way to change which corner of the screen your steam achivements pop-up? And can you a sound ding somewhere?
No, and I think this is something that's decided by whoever is implementing Steamworks into the game. (The default is lower right, but some games have it pop up in a different corner.)

kafiend

"Gratuitous Tank Battles" is coming according to the registry. As is Magic DOTP 2013, seemingly.

DOTP 2013 day one for me.

I had the first DOTP as my only game on Steam for about a year. Right up until the beginning of last Summers sale. My wallet has been crying ever since and my backlog gives me nightmares.

Singularity loses huge points for the PC FOV. It's basically unplayable for me. There is a workaround program you can run to fix it, but it totally messes up the gun models and things look all wonky.
This! MoH is another one of these offenders. Someone described it as looking through a roll of toilet paper - fitting.

Anyway, "Alan Wakes American Nightmare Pre-Order" in the registry.
My body is ready.

jkoch

I think a few weeks ago there was a card game on sale that plays something like poker. I can't remember the name though. Can anyone help me?

HoosTrax

It was Runespell. Thanks a lot!
np

---

Are there any games other there that let you operate your own little mercenary company or PMC?

Games like Jagged Alliance, X-Com, Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight / Mercenaries, Dawn of War II, and HAWX sort of had elements like this (although in the last example, you were a member of a PMC, but you didn't actually manage the outfit).

As in, something in between the complexity of an empire building game and an RPG, where you have to take care of things like balancing expenses, acquiring resources/gear, and equipping your employees. Obviously a lot of RPGs have similar features, but I'm talking about more shooty or tactical action-based games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
np

---

Are there any games other there that let you operate your own little mercenary company or PMC?

Games like Jagged Alliance, X-Com, Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight / Mercenaries, Dawn of War II, and HAWX sort of had elements like this (although in the last example, you were a member of a PMC, but you didn't actually manage the outfit).

As in, something in between the complexity of an empire building game and an RPG, where you have to take care of things like balancing expenses, acquiring resources/gear, and equipping your employees. Obviously a lot of RPGs have similar features, but I'm talking about more shooty or tactical action-based games.

Did you try the newest Jagged Alliance (Back in Action)? It's been patched into a very playable state.

HoosTrax

Did you try the newest Jagged Alliance (Back in Action)? It's been patched into a very playable state.
No, admittedly I have not (the initial impressions from long time fans of the series sort of scared me away). Is the demo representative of the current state of the game? I can give it a spin I guess.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No, admittedly I have not (the initial impressions from long time fans of the series sort of scared me away). Is the demo representative of the current state of the game? I can give it a spin I guess.

The demo throws you into a ridiculously hard map with 3 woefully underequipped dudes. As far as demos goes it's pretty bad.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Any impressions of the Isle of Wight DLC? My Dad spent a lot of time there in his youth (including at the concert) and lately he's been pretty sappy and nostalgic. Wondering if he might be interested in seeing this. Is it a good implementation, is it visually interesting? Disregard the choo choo stuff, he has no interest in trains.

Catshade

There's the Rainbow Six series, though you're a counter-terrorist unit instead of PMC.

Levyne

Banned
So I need a game to play. Was thinking of downloading the PC version of Sonic Generations. However, only a moment before grabbing it my brother tells me he "thinks" the PC version has lots of problems and it "barely playable." Is this true?

If so, I need a game recommendation I think. Choice paralysis I guess.

B-Dex

So I need a game to play. Was thinking of downloading the PC version of Sonic Generations. However, only a moment before grabbing it my brother tells me he "thinks" the PC version has lots of problems and it "barely playable." Is this true?

If so, I need a game recommendation I think. Choice paralysis I guess.

Your bro is wrong.

No shade. lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
He's probably thinking of Sonic Adventure DX. They didn't adjust the analog stick sensitivities to modern controllers so it's twitchy.

Sega plz don't fuck up JSR.

Levyne

Banned
So..my computer has a 555m card but apparently Generations loves to force me to use the "Intel HD" card

Googled some possible work-arounds but can't seem to get one to go . yuck.

sigh

So..my computer has a 555m card but apparently Generations loves to force me to use the "Intel HD" card

Googled some possible work-arounds but can't seem to get one to go . yuck.

sigh

Connect your laptop to a tv with HDMI, only way I could get it to work for me, sucks

Levyne

Banned
Connect your laptop to a tv with HDMI, only way I could get it to work for me, sucks

I read about that and about "faking" a second display. Tried, no avail.

Downloaded the Nvidia Beta Driver update (301.24 Verde I think?) , worked like a charm. Can run on max fps at about 45 now. Game looks great.

But...now I gotta go to bed :(

Just dropping in to say DUSTFORCE is soo damn awesome, it's like it was tailor made for me to play. It feels so natural to start playing it too, it just clicks once you begin to get good at it.

Ninja platforming action with an attack that cleans up messes. Check.
Wonderful soundtrack. Check.
Charming world and animations. Check.
Makes the best input device of all, the keyboard, shine. Check.

Rant over.

MNC

I read about that and about "faking" a second display. Tried, no avail.

Downloaded the Nvidia Beta Driver update (301.24 Verde I think?) , worked like a charm. Can run on max fps at about 45 now. Game looks great.

But...now I gotta go to bed :(

Didn't SEGA fix it in the end? I had to use the faking display the whole time...

Bluth54

Anyway, "Alan Wakes American Nightmare Pre-Order" in the registry.
I'll be buying this game just to support Remedy on the PC, but I was very disappointed with American Nightmare (and Alan Wake was one of my favorite games of this generation).
I think I bought 6 copies of Alan Wake PC total (one for me, a couple to give away to friends, and a couple I gave away to TF2 Gaf) but I'll just be buying a copy for myself this time.

The combat/enemy variety is improved (aside from the flashlight mechanics, I like the way it worked in Alan Wake much better then Nightmare) but everything else I love about Alan Wake, like the characters, story, atmosphere and environment in Alan Wake was seriously lacking in American Nightmare.

derFeef

Yeah, it's much more action focused, but I liked the more exploratory approach, even if it's really barebones. That said I have not finished it on the 360 as I am waiting for the PC version - I can't go back to 360 Alan Wake having witnessed how good this game looks on PC in comparison. It's still a great looking game on the 360, though.

Just dropping in to say DUSTFORCE is soo damn awesome, it's like it was tailor made for me to play. It feels so natural to start playing it too, it just clicks once you begin to get good at it.

Agreed. I wasn't feeling it at all - was baffled by the praise, in fact - then it suddenly just clicked with me and now I love it.

Kevin

So when things are usually added to the registry, how long before they actually appear on Steam (looking for an estimation). Hoping to see Alan Wake: American Nightmare preorder up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom