• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

amrod

American Nightmare is up for Pre-order ($13.49) http://store.steampowered.com/app/202750/

capsule_616x353.jpg

when does it come out?

Wok

Daily Deal - Anomaly: Warzone Earth $3.39 (66% off).

I got this game with the HIB for Android. There is not much strategy indeed, I got my preferred queue order for vehicles, and then it is about choosing the best path and a little bit of reordering. However, I had a good 7-hour long play, thanks to the voices, music and sounds.

HoosTrax

I got this game with the HIB for Android. There is not much strategy indeed, I got my preferred queue order for vehicles, and then it is about choosing the best path and a little bit of reordering. However, I had a good 7-hour long play, thanks to the voices, music and sounds.
Yeah I saw some people complaining about the voice acting (and the Japanese voices are admittedly cringe-worthy), but the British actors were decent I thought. Gave me the same sort of vibe as Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts' "this should fill our day" type of stiff-upper-lip, posh British accent.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shit do I drop 15$ on Alan Wake which I already beat last year on 360 or do I buy the MW3 map pack.

I think I'm gonna wait on Alan Wake since I'm trying to focus on beating games I haven't already completed.

I have yet to pay for a Call of Duty map pack, but I would definitely like some new Spec Ops survival maps. $15 is fuckin' crazy, though.
4 entirely new maps + 2 spec-ops beats the hell out of MW2's 3 new maps + 2 "remakes."

MNC

LOL was annoying a friend about portal 2 midweek

I was like "lol its gunna be alan wake liek gog"

AND IT WAS

Now to question wether I buy it or not. No doubt it's gonna be 50% after a while.

RULE No1 FOR BACKLOGGERS. If you will not play it within x Days, do not buy it.

So alas, alan wake, I shan't buy you.

Sanic

So much stuff to potentially buy today, plus Portal 2 level editor and (hopefully) a patch that will allow to to actually play Orion.

What games is Alan Wake comparable to?
How is the gameplay/story exposition ratio?
Exploration or " corridor" based gameplay?

I THINK I want to play it, but I really don't know if I'll like it and money is really tight at the moment and I could use some detailed descriptions to make my decision.

T-Matt

oops, I thought the daily deal from the previous day stayed up a little longer. Guess nation red will wait until next time. Alan wake is going to be purchased for sure though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Hard to say. More horror and less action than Max Payne, more atmospheric/psychological and less action than Resident Evil, slower than most 3rd person shooters. More action/mobility than Deadly Premonition. Thematically it's pretty similar to Twin Peaks.

Hard to say. Higher than Final Fantasy XIII, lower than most shooters?

More open than a corridor shooter (with a few forest areas that are sort of open), but linear in progression, no optional missions or anything.

I THINK I want to play it, but I really don't know if I'll like it and money is really tight at the moment and I could use some detailed descriptions to make my decision.

It's a pretty great game. But it's also a few years old now, so if you've survived this long without it, it doesn't really make much sense to splurge on it if "money is really tight". It'll still be there. It'll go on sale again, either for $7.50 or $15, on the Steam summer sale, and I would expect it to be $5-10 for the Steam Christmas sale if you are willing to wait.

The number of sales that are actually so good that it's better to buy now than to wait are very low, so my advice would be pretty much always to hold off on games, even ones you really want, as long as you have something else to play in the meantime.

Sanic

I think this has been mentioned before, but i've just encountered that weird issue where MW3 starts downloading for no reason, even though I don't have it installed. I'm assuming there was a patch related to the DLC and that's forced the issued.

Speaking as someone who has shot themselves in the femur with a nailgun, I can attest that one would indeed be an effective weapon. : (

Hard to say. More horror and less action than Max Payne, more atmospheric/psychological and less action than Resident Evil, slower than most 3rd person shooters. More action/mobility than Deadly Premonition. Thematically it's pretty similar to Twin Peaks.

Hard to say. Higher than Final Fantasy XIII, lower than most shooters?

More open than a corridor shooter (with a few forest areas that are sort of open), but linear in progression, no optional missions or anything.

It's a pretty great game. But it's also a few years old now, so if you've survived this long without it, it doesn't really make much sense to splurge on it if "money is really tight". It'll still be there. It'll go on sale again, either for $7.50 or $15, on the Steam summer sale, and I would expect it to be $5-10 for the Steam Christmas sale if you are willing to wait.

The number of sales that are actually so good that it's better to buy now than to wait are very low, so my advice would be pretty much always to hold off on games, even ones you really want, as long as you have something else to play in the meantime.
That convinced me not to buy it right now. Thanks for saving me some money. :)
There's always the chance that a game that's been on your wishlist for years might be an incredible experience you didn't even know about, but it seems AW wouldn't be that, at least for me.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

You'll love it, trust me, it's something pretty and uneasy.

My only hope is that Alan Wake will be cheaper in the summer sale. To many unexpected things this month already to bite on it.

Speaking as someone who has shot themselves in the femur with a nailgun, I can attest that one would indeed be an effective weapon. : (

How in the hell did you accomplish this fantastic feat?

MRORANGE

I haven't bought it yet, but GOG is a better deal in the UK. $15 (£9.20ish) on GoG for the Collectors Edition, £13.49 on Steam.

if your short on cash I can see why GOG is a better deal and all, but the fact it has steamworks outweighs the price difference for me, especially with Steam Cloud if I ever install it on my laptop.

*ohalsoIlikemygamesonsteammandantorycomment*

wat.

Mrbob

Whats the collector's edition extras for Alan Wake? The description is the same for the main game and collector's edition extras.

eek5

Whats the collector's edition extras for Alan Wake? The description is the same for the main game and collector's edition extras.

Soundtrack/video/pdf book are listed under "special offer" so I'm assuming they're both the same. I feel silly for getting the CE now lol

How in the hell did you accomplish this fantastic feat?

I used to work at a place that built boat trailers. I worked in the area where we stacked them for shipping. I would have to climb all around the stack nailing 4x4 blocks of wood in strategic spots to keep the trailers from sliding around on top of each other. When I jumped down off of a stack the hose got caught on something and when I landed on the ground it yanked the air line just perfect for the nose of the gun to hit my femur as I landed in a crouch.

Only the head of the nail was above the skin so I had to spend the entire time with my leg bent like I landed or it would have pulled the head of the nail under the skin. Once they started the work it took the doctors 40 minutes to get it out. They had to get a guy in maintenance to weld a piece of plate metal to the top of a pair of vicegrips. Then they clamped the vicegrips on the head of the nail and hit the plate with a hammer until the nail came out.

I used to work at a place that built boat trailers. I worked in the area where we stacked them for shipping. I would have to climb all around the stack nailing 4x4 blocks of wood in strategic spots to keep the trailers from sliding around on top of each other. When I jumped down off of a stack the hose got caught on something and when I landed on the ground it yanked the air line just perfect for the nose of the gun to hit my femur as I landed in a crouch.

Only the head of the nail was above the skin so I had to spend the entire time with my leg bent like I landed or it would have pulled the head of the nail under the skin. Once they started the work it took the doctors 40 minutes to get it out. They had to get a guy in maintenance to weld a piece of plate metal to the top of a pair of vicegrips. Then they clamped the vicegrips on the head of the nail and hit the plate with a hammer until the nail came out.

Damn that hurts reading it.

Oh wow. Crazy. Was this in the states?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom