• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkTR

So when things are usually added to the registry, how long before they actually appear on Steam (looking for an estimation). Hoping to see Alan Wake: American Nightmare preorder up soon.

Can't tell, sometimes they never appear. Though I'm betting the pre-order for AN will be up within a week or two.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can't tell, sometimes they never appear. Though I'm betting the pre-order for AN will be up within a week or two.

Yeah, I'm thinking Microsoft's XBLA exclusivity period in this case is just three months, so the game should appear in ~two weeks (XBLA release date was 22/02).

Eusis

Yeah, I'm thinking Microsoft's XBLA exclusivity period in this case is just three months, so the game should appear in ~two weeks (XBLA release date was 22/02).
On that note I think I'll wait until the middle of summer before getting Fez on XBLA. I'm really hoping for a Steam release, the only exceptions I can think of lately have been Treasure games.

Wok

I have finished Aquaria, and this game should reach the surface of your backlog.

The first few hours might imply a rebuttal for most players. Once you get the two forms (the missile launcher, and the devourer), the game gets easier and a lot more interesting. Plus there is some cooking which makes the game easier... once you start using it.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The Portal 2 map editor comes out in a few hours (barring Valve time). I've waited months for this. I enjoy playing custom levels, but it is annoying to have to copy/paste files and use console commands to load maps.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
IIRC the editor still uses Hammer, but it is wrapped in a user friendly interface instead of requiring a PHD in modding.

Ledsen

But you can't redeem it on Steam, the one feature people want. :(

I don't know, GOG is the only acceptable alternative to Steam for me. In fact, I much prefer GOG because of complete lack of DRM. Also the GOG web site is probably the most user friendly and well-designed store front/account management site I've ever had the pleasure to use. So don't fear the GOG!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Huh, I thought AW is a Steamworks game.

Huh, I didn't know it was on GOG now. I might have held off had I know it was going the show up there. The version I bought from GreenmanGaming was definitely Steamworks, but I guess it wouldn't be in CDPR's best interest to support Steamworks.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I don't know, GOG is the only acceptable alternative to Steam for me. In fact, I much prefer GOG because of complete lack of DRM. Also the GOG web site is probably the most user friendly and well-designed store front/account management site I've ever had the pleasure to use. So don't fear the GOG!

Oh i don't fear the GoG. I think i have around 15 games on there. I wish Steam would get on GoG's level in terms of providing extra items (Manuals, soundtrack, concept art, etc) with games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I wish Steam would get on GoG's level in terms of providing extra items (Manuals, soundtrack, concept art, etc) with games.

I think it's really stupid that even GOG really has to push devs to supply them with them with the most basic extras. Why the fuck don't devs shove that kind of stuff in every version of the game? Concept art, manuals, video, music- all of that stuff has already been created and half of it is locked up on the game disc somewhere. Adding it into a release requires a miniscule amount of effort, but it never happens.

A lot of games on Steam do have manuals. Not as many as should have them. And I don't think any Valve games do which is kind of surprising.

But who needs manuals when the first 1/4th of every game can be a training seminar. 'Press "W" to move forward'. Thanks. It's nice to know that every game I play for the rest of my life will make sure to remind me to press W to move forward.

HoosTrax

A lot of games on Steam do have manuals. Not as many as should have them. And I don't think any Valve games do which is kind of surprising.

But who needs manuals when the first 1/4th of every game can be a training seminar. 'Press "W" to move forward'. Thanks. It's nice to know that every game I play for the rest of my life will make sure to remind me to press W to move forward.
Conversely, you'll see games like X3 where even a 500 page Prima Guide probably wouldn't cover everything, and yet the only thing the DVD retail version comes with is a little post card listing some of the default key binds. Gee thanks...

I am a little annoyed though, when a game makes you run through a mandatory tutorial section like in Far Cry 1 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, showing you how to do basic things like walk, run, jump, and crouch that have been in every freaking modern FPS and have industry standard keybinds. I don't need a tutorial to figure out that "crouch" is probably performed by pressing the CTRL or C key.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think it's really stupid that even GOG really has to push devs to supply them with them with the most basic extras. Why the fuck don't devs shove that kind of stuff in every version of the game? Concept art, manuals, video, music- all of that stuff has already been created and half of it is locked up on the game disc somewhere. Adding it into a release requires a miniscule amount of effort, but it never happens.

Absolutely agreed. You would think the transition towards digital sales would have gone a long way to restoring a lot of the "neat extra content" games used to have at retail but lost due to cost concerns.

I really hope next gen devs start releasing all their "bonuses" with digital copies. Would be an easy value that people wouldn't mind spending full price for. That way people who buy digital won't feel as cheated paying the same price as those who buy a physical copy.

And here's also hoping Borderlands GOTY goes on sale again soon. My friends are starting up a game in the near future and I want to play it before Borderlands 2 comes out.

Chronoja

Conversely, you'll see games like X3 where even a 500 page Prima Guide probably wouldn't cover everything, and yet the only thing the DVD retail version comes with is a little post card listing some of the default key binds. Gee thanks...

I am a little annoyed though, when a game makes you run through a mandatory tutorial section like in Far Cry 1 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, showing you how to do basic things like walk, run, jump, and crouch that have been in every freaking modern FPS and have industry standard keybinds. I don't need a tutorial to figure out that "crouch" is probably performed by pressing the CTRL or C key.

For people attuned to gaming, it seems like an inconvenience to be put through the tutorial sections especially when they are part of a well played genre such as an fps.

As a developer however, you have to assume a condition for every scenerio, i.e. The end user of your product is not familiar with the game systems and / or the genre standards, because they do, and will exist.

The costs of producing manuals (physical product cost or simply time investment for digital alone) have seen them become less common since more often than not people don't even read them, not even to gleen the basics like controls. Now they've reached the point where manuals are "added value" and not "core information".

Forcing tutorial sections is therefore a good way (i hesitate to say best way) to garantuee that people can't complain about not knowing how to play the game properly since it accounts for people not reading the manual or doing the optional tutorial etc. (assuming it's a good tutorial of course) Plus the cost saved in potentially useless manuals far outweighs the inconvienience suffered by veterans to gaming

The best tutorials are ones that have managed to integrate these elements into the narrative. See the intro to Half Life 2: Episode 2.

jediyoshi

YEKle.jpg

]:

My retail copy of X3 came with a 200+ booklet with blade runner quotes in the bottom pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom