• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't know why people complain about Steam Download Speeds...

xMGAb.jpg

this is such a rare event that I had to take a screenshot

xMGAb.jpg

:roll eyes:

just because you can download at a pretty high speed doesn't mean everyone can. ISP, bandwidth, time of day, quality of your connection (twisted pairs if using xDSL, coax if cable, ...) and numerous other things affect your ability to download. Oh and speeds vary by which Steam server you choose (or got handed to).

RoadHazard

Gold Member

xMGAb.jpg

I often get speeds of about 6-7 MB/s from Steam, sometimes even higher. I'm on a 100 Mbps fiber connection, but my crappy router limits my actual speed to 60 Mbps or so, so Steam actually pretty much maxes out my connection at times. I know this is definitely not the case for everyone, so I guess my combination of location + ISP + whatever just works really well.

EDIT: Just downloaded HL2E2:

rkys.png

Pretty sure it has gone above 8 MB/s a few times in the past, but that's pretty rare.

Blizzard

Banned
I miss the days of college Ethernet when I could download more than 1.1 MB/second of anything or have under 80 ms ping. =P

Also Gabe looks healthier without the beard, but I suspect that is indeed an old picture.

I often get speeds of about 6-7 MB/s from Steam. I'm on a 100 Mbps fiber connection, but my crappy router limits my actual speed to 50-60 Mbps, so Steam actually pretty much maxes out my connection at times. I know this is definitely not the case for everyone, so I guess my combination of location + ISP + whatever just works really well.

Just in case you were wondering, this is one the most powerful consumer home routers.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I often get speeds of about 6-7 MB/s from Steam, sometimes even higher. I'm on a 100 Mbps fiber connection, but my crappy router limits my actual speed to 60 Mbps, so Steam actually pretty much maxes out my connection at times. I know this is definitely not the case for everyone, so I guess my combination of location + ISP + whatever just works really well.

rkto.png

(Yeah, it's in Swedish, but you can probably work it out!)

Get a router with DD-WRT support and you should be good to go. I have really common 50 bucks Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT and I get 10MB/sec when transferring over network. My actual internet connection is only 30Mbps fiber, so that 3.5MB/sec is my max.

Also, preferably, never use your modem as your router. Just put it in bridge mode and use a proper router for routing purposes. Specially on fast connections.

That's one expensive router, though...

Damn, my router is actually supported, but only the revisions after mine. Bummer.

If you're going the cabled route (which you should probably if you want to make the most out of your connection), my WNR3500L has served me well and I always get ~95 MB/s transfer rates to my NAS. It has some great builds of tomato made for it. (I use toastman's builds of tomato-usb)

Wireless isn't superb on it though, but it can be found for around $70

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also, preferably, never use your modem as your router. Just put it in bridge mode and use a proper router for routing purposes. Specially on fast connections.

Again, I have a fiber connection, so there is no modem, just an ethernet jack on the wall from which all teh internets just come rushing out! :)

If you're going the cabled route (which you should probably if you want to make the most out of your connection, my WNR3500L has served me well and I always get ~95 MB/s transfer rates to my NAS.

Wireless isn't superb on it though, but it can be found for around $70

I always go cabled all the way when possible. The only device I connect wirelessly is my phone (and my Wii, on the rare occasions when it gets used).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Again, I have a fiber connection, so there is no modem, just an ethernet jack on the wall from which all teh internets just come rushing out! :)

Don't kid yourself: There's a modem somewhere on your house/building. I don't think Fiber Modems (called ONTs, usually) have routing options.

But there's something somewhere that eats fiber and spits out Ethernet. :D

Edit: Thinking about it, I don't know if ONTs can be called Modems. Hmm. Something to research at another date.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Don't kid yourself: There's a modem somewhere on your house/building. I don't think Fiber Modems (called ONTs, usually) have routing options.

But there's something somewhere that eats fiber and spits out Ethernet. :D

Edit: Thinking about it, I don't know if ONTs can be called Modems. Hmm. Something to research at another date.

Well, yeah, you're right of course. But whatever makes that happen, and where it is located, is obviously out of my control (it's an apartment building)!

I'm on Virgin's 100MB cable package, but the included modem/router is absolute shit. I'm able to max my connection on Origin (getting around 12MB/s) while Steam isn't quite the same level, but I can't complain.

XmHD2.png

Anyone know if the Manchester server is any faster than the London one (I'm in London though)?

1-D_FTW

So didn't feel the love at all. It looks absolutely amazing at 1080P 60fps/3D. And I love the world. But for people saying it's more Zelda than GoW... I couldn't disagree more. It's an action game pure and pure. Get locked in a room, press 500 button presses, move to the next room. Get locked in a room, press 500 button presses, next room.

I loved the light Zelda elements and world so much that I attempted to salvage the game by starting over at a reduced difficulty (Really, you can't just change difficulty levels?) But even then, the endless grind was too much.

I should point out that while I love lots of genres, the action genre (Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, GoW) is not one of them.

So I'm just saying for those who hear the agrument: It's more Zelda than God of War. It's really not. It's an action game with a Zelda like structure. If you don't love hardcore button masher action games, stay away.

Wish I'd played this before I'd put Darksiders 2 on my wishlist. Maybe I can trade my gift away, because I really have no desire to touch DS2.

Oh, and in case I didn't stress it enough, world looks absolutely amazing in 3D.

So Civ V is getting Steam Workshop support. Sorry if it was already known, I've just read the news on Steam.

When Civilization V released nearly 2 years ago, it included a feature that allowed players to browse a list of community-created mods and install them directly inside the game. With the Gods & Kings expansion pack on the horizon, 2K Games and Firaxis Games have decided to go a step further and overhaul the system to use Steam Workshop (and yes, this will be for the base game as well, not just the expansion!) See the full announcement here.

Keep your eyes on the Steam Workshop for the Civilization V update coming soon!

http://store.steampowered.com/news/8133/

Corto

Someone should photoshop Half Life 3 logo on that iPad screen and send it to every games outlet to watch the world burn.

Talyn

Sword of the Stars - the Complete Collection (original Sword of the Stars plus all its expansions) is also on sale for $4.99. I'd recommend that over the still buggy mess that is SoTS2 if you've never played it.

Ledsen

So didn't feel the love at all. It looks absolutely amazing at 1080P 60fps/3D. And I love the world. But for people saying it's more Zelda than GoW... I couldn't disagree more. It's an action game pure and pure. Get locked in a room, press 500 button presses, move to the next room. Get locked in a room, press 500 button presses, next room.

I loved the light Zelda elements and world so much that I attempted to salvage the game by starting over at a reduced difficulty (Really, you can't just change difficulty levels?) But even then, the endless grind was too much.

I should point out that while I love lots of genres, the action genre (Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, GoW) is not one of them.

So I'm just saying for those who hear the agrument: It's more Zelda than God of War. It's really not. It's an action game with a Zelda like structure. If you don't love hardcore button masher action games, stay away.

Wish I'd played this before I'd put Darksiders 2 on my wishlist. Maybe I can trade my gift away, because I really have no desire to touch DS2.

Oh, and in case I didn't stress it enough, world looks absolutely amazing in 3D.

How long did you play? From your description, it doesn't seem like you played more than a couple of hours. The dungeons lean very heavily towards the Zelda spectrum. But you're right in that if you don't like action games, you should stay away.

Rorschach

Steam is like reverse piracy. Instead of not paying for games I play, I pay for games I don't play.
lol :(

I've been blissfully unaware of this problem. Guess the servers in the areas I've downloaded from have just been awesome (Chicago and Los Angeles). I get 7-8mb down.

Just downloaded The Baconing and Saints Row III at 8.8 mb/s peak and around 8 all the way through.

Taffer

Anyone know if the Manchester server is any faster than the London one (I'm in London though)?

If London's slow because of a big sale or something Manchester's usually a *bit* better but I usually just go the whole hog and pretend I'm Dutch, Steam seems to have plenty of spare capacity in the Netherlands.

HBroward

If you want Sword of the Stars 2, you may want to buy this Amazon bundle instead. It's 12.49, and includes Crusader Kings 2, Magicka Complete and The Stars Are Left DLC, SOTS 1 Complete, SOTS 2, and Victoria 2. The codes for Crusader Kings 2, SOTS 2, and Magica all register on Steam.

Rapstah

If London's slow because of a big sale or something Manchester's usually a *bit* better but I usually just go the whole hog and pretend I'm Dutch, Steam seems to have plenty of spare capacity in the Netherlands.

If the servers crap out in the first place, it's likely a lot of them do. I switched to Malaysia at some point during a rough spot of last year's winter sale and got bad speeds from there too. Now that I think of it that might just have been because of Malaysia.

I have a Bastion key if anyone wants it, just quote me and I'll PM you it as long as you actually play it because seriously Bastion is amazing

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sword of the Stars - the Complete Collection (original Sword of the Stars plus all its expansions) is also on sale for $4.99. I'd recommend that over the still buggy mess that is SoTS2 if you've never played it.

What's the problem with the second game btw?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Who Wants to be a Millionaire reminds me of something--if something is not available in Region X, and someone from Region Y gifts it to someone from Region X, can the person from Region X play it?

kafiend

This might not be of much interest to people solely using Steam to keep their games in because I don't think either of these are Steam redeemable. Anyway, from the Amazon DD thread.
Glad you're all digging the sale :) :). The Paradox deal just got better:

I just got off the phone with Paradox.

We're going to extend this sale through the end of the week (6/2) since it is doing so well.

More importantly though. Everyone who purchased the Plentiful Paradox Package, and everyone who chooses to purchase it this week, will get 2 $23 promotional credits, 1 for

Europa Universalis III Chronicles

and 1 for

The Hearts of Iron III Collection

That will make both of these games $6 each for those of you looking to round out your Paradox Grand Strategy collection.

Just a note that we won't start giving out the credits until tomorrow likely. There are a couple of people that I need to click a button here and there to turn the promotion on...and I think they are eating burgers right now...

Just an FYI, for those who already purchased the bundle. I need to wait for my systems to catch up with all the data from the weekend, so you'll likely receive your email with promo credits mid-late day tomorrow...you'll get them though :).

Cheers,
Tony

Cheers. I normally switch to Ukraine during massive sales, but I was hoping a server closer to home would provide even better relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom